Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

2 minutes ago, HG Blows said:

Finally decided to just switch my NY DX SSP order to ferry, at least I'll know it's on the move.  They replied in a day, and they gave me store credit back for the difference.

I still haven't heard a peep about my ferry DX Strike parts... NY is getting comically bad.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bahamutzyro said:

when is Japan Post  going to resume service? Its gotta be soon.

Honestly, I don't think so.  They rely on commercial airline contracts (like USPS,) and International travel will not be normal any time soon.  That means a HUGE decrease in flights.  EMS has opened up recently to a number of countries so that's a good sign.  But, even when it resumes, it will be soooo backlogged.

30 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Honestly, I don't think so.  They rely on commercial airline contracts (like USPS,) and International travel will not be normal any time soon.  That means a HUGE decrease in flights.  EMS has opened up recently to a number of countries so that's a good sign.  But, even when it resumes, it will be soooo backlogged.

Agreed. I initially thought "oh, by the end of summer people will be traveling again" but that is looking less and less likely. If cool weather brings a resurgence then we might not see international travel at healthy volumes again until there are effective treatments... these shipping issues may persist through the holidays (which would be a huge boon for the specialty shippers).

My last EMS shipment (one SSP set for the 1/48 DX VF-1), posted on 18 Apr, entered a black hole on 17 Jun. According to Japan Post's site it was dispatched, but here we are a month later and...nothing. My best guess is that they packed it into a shipping container and it hasn't left the Tokyo airport because there are so few flights to the US. I'm guessing another month before it arrives, which would be consistent with the four month estimate Japan Post was communicating back in mid-April.

image.png.80704fffcf7ddfa3cdb3d6758aa0cf67.png

9 hours ago, jenius said:

Agreed. I initially thought "oh, by the end of summer people will be traveling again" but that is looking less and less likely. If cool weather brings a resurgence then we might not see international travel at healthy volumes again until there are effective treatments... these shipping issues may persist through the holidays (which would be a huge boon for the specialty shippers).

This and what DYRL VF-1S said.  The sad fact is that it will most likely be years before things get back to something close to the pre-Covid-19 normal.

The only precedents we have are 9/11 and the Lehman Shock—air travel took a year or two to recover.  However, the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic are more than a couple of orders of magnitude greater...

Little update from Italy....i received today my first order from Japan since EMS has been reactivated for my country. It took a little longer than usual(around 10-11 days) but nothing too tragic. The order was  from NY so i guess i have to consider myself even more lucky...

My DX SSP Set, shipped via EMS, is *finally* in the US! :yahoo:Looks like it hit customs in Los Angeles yesterday afternoon. So maybe just a few more days? If so, that will put it at exactly three months since FromJapan shipped it....

image.png.6ae7a4f0dd8d4312682e1fc4d53246d7.png

Some good news.

Just last week, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration gave U.S. carriers a green light to take seats out of their planes and load cargo into the passenger decks. The FAA also extended for another year an earlier exemption that let airlines strap freight to passenger seats or carry it in overhead bins and storage closets. (Some foreign airlines got a big jump on the U.S. carriers because their governments gave them exemptions to remove seats months ago, just after the global pandemic started.)

920x920.jpg.6d4e0700de258b4c7da27cee6406e827.jpg1390649527_cargo(2).PNG.f7e8190b46e261dbaa8c9842b1ede6b8.PNG

source:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/airlines-cargo-covid-15411078.php

29 minutes ago, F360 said:

Some good news.

Just last week, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration gave U.S. carriers a green light to take seats out of their planes and load cargo into the passenger decks. The FAA also extended for another year an earlier exemption that let airlines strap freight to passenger seats or carry it in overhead bins and storage closets. (Some foreign airlines got a big jump on the U.S. carriers because their governments gave them exemptions to remove seats months ago, just after the global pandemic started.)

920x920.jpg.6d4e0700de258b4c7da27cee6406e827.jpg

source:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/airlines-cargo-covid-15411078.php

That cargo looks more comfortable than I am in planes!:rofl:

My row the last time I flew:

-6'3" 240lb

-6' 200lb (me)

-6'5" 280lb

The row across from us:

-5'4" 100lb

-5'5" 110lb

-5'7" 120lb

Come on people! It's 2020! I think we can figure this out!!!

9 minutes ago, sqidd said:

-6'3" 240lb

-6' 200lb (me)

-6'5" 280lb

The row across from us:

-5'4" 100lb

-5'5" 110lb

-5'7" 120lb

The important thing here is....how did you get the personal specs of each individual on the plane?:D

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The important thing here is....how did you get the personal specs of each individual on the plane?:D

I used to be a Carnie.:crazy:

I asked the two guys on either side of me and guessed on the women on the other side. I'm actually really good at guessing that stuff. 10yrs in the gym and helping people prep for contests gives you a lot different perspective when you're looking at people. I can guess body fat percentage to within 3-4% until it gets up over 25% too. Hmmmm, maybe I should be a Carnie!

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I asked the two guys on either side of me and guessed on the women on the other side. I'm actually really good at guessing that stuff. 10yrs in the gym and helping people prep for contests gives you a lot different perspective when you're looking at people. I can guess body fat percentage to within 3-4% until it gets up over 25% too. Hmmmm, maybe I should be a Carnie!

Lol, nice!

46 minutes ago, sqidd said:

-6'3" 240lb

-6' 200lb (me)

-6'5" 280lb

The row across from us:

-5'4" 100lb

-5'5" 110lb

-5'7" 120lb

They put you there and use the excuse that they need to balance the plane. lol..    :lol:.    

They use that to bump a bunch of people to first class before too :drinks:

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

The trick a carnie told me years ago for guessing weight is look at their arms. I started looking at the size of people's arms ever since then.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, treatment said:

so any Japan Post updates regarding EMS-to-US, yet?

Got nothing on EMS but I received a package today that shipped ferry on 5/28. So at least for this package ferry/surface seems to be unhindered.

4 hours ago, treatment said:

so any Japan Post updates regarding EMS-to-US, yet?

Received my SSP set via EMS after a three-month wait. Shipped on 18 Apr, arrived in New Mexico on 20 Jul. Only took a few days to get through customs at LAX and make its way here. Three solid months in line at the Tokyo airport mail facility. Japan Post was estimating four months at the outset of the shutdown, so three is marginally better. I haven't heard about new shipments being accepted. That could still take quite some time, given the current state of our country and some recent COVID flare-ups in Japan.

Edited by Anasazi37

6 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

That could still take quite some time, given the current state of our country and some recent COVID flare-ups in Japan.

Yeah, the situation has gotten a lot worse since the Japanese government started subsidizing domestic travel expenses to reinvigorate the local tourist trade.  <_<

Of course, "worse" is relative.  We in Asia will never experience the insanity you crazy Americans are suffering...!  :blink:

I just get a quote for shipping from Mandrake for a Yamato 1/60 item.  4130 Yen DHL only.

Seems like most Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 item fall into this box size/price category.

Cost of getting items is rather high right now. 

30 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I just noticed that there was an August 5th update from Anime Export.  They've arranged for a private courier to ship things to the US, so orders from there should be available soon.

Is it a different courier than the sketchy, unknown one that they offered a few months ago? I still don’t understand why they can’t use well-known couriers like FedEx, UPS, and DHL. I don’t know of another store using an off-brand courier service. Feels weird. 

34 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Couldn't say yet, I'm waiting until my Kakizaki VF-1A comes in, then I'll see what the shipping options are like.  I'm not in a rush to receive anything, so I might wait until normal service resumes if the carrier is sketchy.

Fingers crossed for a non-sketchy courier. Your Kakizaki deserves to be in a good home ASAP. 

The itch to have my toys from The Jungle got too great and so I asked them what would be the upgrade cost on shipping DHL. 7100 yen- not too terrible given it is two big items and three HMR sized items (especially since I got great prices on everything so I could convince myself to spend more on shipping to get it now). Their cost for the HMR CF VF-1As alone is almost 6000 yen more now than the two I got. Here's what is shipping to me early next week (finally), including the Yamato 1/48 low vis 1A @sqidd spotted for me:

image.png.169beca5c80774c736d97ae8f1e38678.png

1 hour ago, vladykins said:

The itch to have my toys from The Jungle got too great and so I asked them what would be the upgrade cost on shipping DHL. 7100 yen- not too terrible given it is two big items and three HMR sized items (especially since I got great prices on everything so I could convince myself to spend more on shipping to get it now). Their cost for the HMR CF VF-1As alone is almost 6000 yen more now than the two I got. Here's what is shipping to me early next week (finally), including the Yamato 1/48 low vis 1A @sqidd spotted for me:

It's about time Jungle started shipping DHL.

What did shipping cost in total?

34 minutes ago, sqidd said:

It's about time Jungle started shipping DHL.

What did shipping cost in total?

¥10,159. I know this mainly because they sent me this invoice for the DHL shipping cost and then I asked if this was net of what I'd paid previously for shipping, which then got dropped down to ¥7100. I did end up paying their handling fee for each order I did, but still am waaaaay ahead on the prices I got for these, so I'm happy to eat the extra shipping cost.

I think I'm antsy because BBTS hasn't gotten my Eta Legioss yet and I haven't gotten anything in a little while.

Just now, vladykins said:

¥10,159. I know this mainly because they sent me this invoice for the DHL shipping cost and then I asked if this was net of what I'd paid previously for shipping, which then got dropped down to ¥7100. I did end up paying their handling fee for each order I did, but still am waaaaay ahead on the prices I got for these, so I'm happy to eat the extra shipping cost.

I think I'm antsy because BBTS hasn't gotten my Eta Legioss yet and I haven't gotten anything in a little while.

$105 for all that is not unreasonable at all.:good:

• 2 weeks later...