Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

I have also hit the same issue with NY.

If your order is unpaid, changing address is easy, but once it is paid, they refuse to change the address.

33 minutes ago, kkx said:

I have also hit the same issue with NY.

If your order is unpaid, changing address is easy, but once it is paid, they refuse to change the address.

I definitely changed address on paid items when I moved. Like I said... Very hit and miss. 

1 minute ago, jenius said:

I definitely changed address on paid items when I moved. Like I said... Very hit and miss. 

Same here. I had over 10 pending orders, paid and unpaid when I requested to change address. They did all of them. I find their ticket system is much more helpful than the chat system.

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I've done the same.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Same here. I had over 10 pending orders, paid and unpaid when I requested to change address. They did all of them. I find their ticket system is much more helpful than the chat system.

This is how to do it.  Submit a ticket.  It took them several weeks (surprise), and 2 tickets for them to actually update the address, though.

I did submit a ticket to which they responded within 24 hrs with the initial denial. I'm still waiting to hear back after I replied. I'll give it another day or so and then open a new ticket in hopes someone else that is more agreeable to the request will get it.

Edited by Vertex

25 minutes ago, Vertex said:

I did submit a ticket to which they responded within 24 hrs with the initial denial. I'm still waiting to hear back after I replied. I'll give it another day or so and then open a new ticket in hopes someone else that is more agreeable to the request will get it.

I'm guessing you had a response from Marine.

I have a DHL shipment from Amazon that was supposed to arrive on Thursday last week. It got all the way to the distribution center in my city, then was inexplicably sent back to Cincinnati where it's been sitting since. Another DHL package from Mandarake that shipped later already arrive. No freaking idea why DHL is sitting on that package. I called them and they said they'd have to look into it and get back to me. What a nuisance.

This isn't the first time DHL has almost delivered my parcel but then sent it back to Cincinnati only to have to send it back here a second time. It's like something out of the Simpsons.

5 hours ago, burnout6 said:

My SSP mailed by registered mail is finally getting movement close to 2 months later. Guess things are starting to pick up 32B7F48B-3DA9-42A4-A8FD-6B9B58AB6C78.thumb.png.ce9cfb40db7a05823c69f6baa99db191.png

This gives me some hope. My SSP set, shipped via EMS, has been stuck at the Tokyo airport since 18 Apr in the "Arrival at outward office of exchange" step.

Sorry, does anyone know a good way to calculate how much it is to ship from Japan to USA using DHL? I was thinking about making a Manda purchase of some bulky items (non-Macross) but don't want to be totally shell-shocked or have to cancel after getting the invoice. "It will be 12,000¥ to ship your 8,000¥ item" would be a non starter :)

19 minutes ago, jenius said:

Sorry, does anyone know a good way to calculate how much it is to ship from Japan to USA using DHL? I was thinking about making a Manda purchase of some bulky items (non-Macross) but don't want to be totally shell-shocked or have to cancel after getting the invoice. "It will be 12,000¥ to ship your 8,000¥ item" would be a non starter :)

Best way I've seen is to check for the same item or similar size items at Sahara and they will have shipping prices listed on the product page or give you the price at checkout. You should be able to at least get a decent ballpark or even the exact shipping cost that way.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Might also be worth sending them an email to ask for a shipping estimate?

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

That too. I forgot they offer that service.

I didn't know they were doing that. That's nice.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I have found that if it's much bigger than a DX SSP set it's 20K yen. It's like they go from one size box right to a box a lot bigger. I have gotten a few shipments that were 20K but I had 3-4 pretty big items in each one so it didn't hurt as bad. Still kinda hurt though. That said, the pricing at Manda was so much better than everywhere else. The "on your doorstep" pricing was pretty good.

13 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I have found that if it's much bigger than a DX SSP set it's 20K yen. It's like they go from one size box right to a box a lot bigger. I have gotten a few shipments that were 20K but I had 3-4 pretty big items in each one so it didn't hurt as bad. Still kinda hurt though. That said, the pricing at Manda was so much better than everywhere else. The "on your doorstep" pricing was pretty good.

I think @sqiddhas become our resident expert on DHL shipping from Mandarake. :)

5 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I think @sqiddhas become our resident expert on DHL shipping from Mandarake. :)

I just do a good impression of one.

My De Niro and Nicholson suck though.:D

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, jenius said:

20k... Man, too bad they aren't doing ferry service. 

one friend told me that some mandarake's shops can ship via ferry. you just need to ask when you ordering or before order

11 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Might also be worth sending them an email to ask for a shipping estimate?

I have been doing this for a long time.

Just direct your query to the correct branch. So if an Item is stocked at Complex, then send a query at Complex with a link (but I guess item code also works). They usually provide me price for EMS, DHL and SAL before.

Similar to the SAHRA I'll check there for the item or similar one but take the dimensions/weight and plug those in to JP Post, DHL, Etc. It wont give you pricing at the negotiated rate that some shippers may have but is still gives me adecent idea of the cost.

I have placed an order and in the comments section ask to check for lower shipping pricing. In April just before most shipping options shutdown I ordered an item from Nagoya and put in DHL as method of shipping but made a note asking to check EMS "Please check shipping cost via EMS. If less expensive than DHL please change method. Thank You".  It was a somewhat small item so I figured it could go either way between DHL or EMS. When they replied back with the order confirmation / invoice they had notated in the notice section -

NOTICE: EMS 3300, DHL 4350, Air small packet 2355, Air postal parcel 4200

And was invoiced for EMS shipping. I may have gotten lucky in having someone go the extra mile for me checking pricing cost so YMMV. This may not be helpful under current conditions but may prove useful when EMS and other options become available again.

Edited by Vertex

Here's something of a sobering experience from my side. My last shipping estimate using DHL Express was with FromJapan. The package was hefty at 6.3kg (about 14lbs) and FJ doubleboxed it (as they do) so the actual shipping box was 24x16x13 inches. FJ is only offering FedEx and DHL as shipping options to US locations at the moment, The charge 2 shipping came to 13,500JPY for DHL and FedEx was slightly less expensive at 13,000JPY.

I think weight and size both factor into cost, especially once a package tips the scale at a particular number. I bought a couple acrylic storage bins in this case. If my local shop still had them in stock, I would have spent about $20 for UPS ground to ship them from NY city to my location which is considerable for ground shipping. Still, the prices make me curious (or maybe somewhat trepidatious) to see how much something like Arcadia's VF-0D will cost to ship using FJ at the end of the month.

Edited by technoblue

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

Still, the prices make me curious (or maybe somewhat trepidatious) to see how much something like Arcadia's VF-0D will cost to ship using FJ at the end of the month.

I'm not looking super forward to what FJ wants for those. I've got four of them PO'd. It could be ugly.

13 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Good thing FJ offers ferry shipping. My SSP packs I ordered through them should be arriving soon.

Good thing you didn't get them from NY, they still wouldn't have shipped!