sqidd

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

-1/55 Chunky Monkey - 1983

-1/60 Yamato V1 - 10/2001

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/48 Bandai DX - 10/2018

-1/100 Hi Metal - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

-1/100 Hi Metal R - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

16 minutes ago, jenius said:

I don't think the HCM needs to be included. If it was included, it would be a branch off that led to the Toynami MPC and then died. Also, it's got the name "model" in it so it's easily ignored.

"Super real 1/55 die-cast plastic scale model & high technology produced by Takatoku Toys"....but it's a toy right?  We can ignore the "model" parts? :rolleyes:

Built model = toy

Unbuilt 1/60 Yamato "model kit" does not become a toy unless built?.....Or like the HCM.....a 1/60 Yamato can only be considered a toy when pre-built?  LOL

takatoku-japan-55-macross-vf-1s-super_1_

1 hour ago, Mog said:

One additional wrinkle to consider:  posing the different Valks going from Fighter to Gerwalk to Battroid (or from Gerwalk to Battroid).

For example:

-1/55 Chunky Monkey - Fighter mode

-1/60 Yamato V1 - Mid-transformation pose (arms back Gerwalk?)

-1/48 Yamato - Full Gerwalk mode

-1/60 Yamato V2 - Mid-transformation to Battroid

-1/60 Arcadia - Battroid

-1/48 Bandai DX - Action posed out Battroid.

Yep, another facet. Right now the working plan is to display each one in Battroid and Fighter at the same time (takes two of each). If I had the room I would do all three. Or maybe I'll make the room. I don't know. The plan is still formulating. 

51 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

When you float this idea to a bunch of Macross nerds, you're going to have to deal with a lot of suggestions and such:p

I think I know what you were going for: sort of the "best of the VF-1 for each generation" kind of thing.  But as @tekering mentioned, it wouldn't be that great of a display once you actually put it together, only the chunky monkey and 1/48 would really stand out to the untrained eye.  The Bandai high complete model also kind of throws a wrench in a scheme like that.

Maybe have like a "generations" theme?  Starting with the Takatokou 1/55 and 1/100 scale in the 80s, then some of the Arii and Toynami stuff for the 90s.  Early Yamatos (1/60 and/or 1/48) for the early 2000s, then yamcadia v2 and HMR for the "modern" era.  With a DX 1/48 when it comes out.  

It's a lot more to collect, obviously, but you'll have a good contrast of scales, and would be able to see how it evolved in different scales over time.

I like the input.:good:

I'm definitely not married to any plan at this point. You guys are making some great suggestions. If it's going to be "the ultimate" VF-1 through time" display it's going to need input from everyone I think.

I'm all ears. And making adjustments.

Can you take this list and add what you think should be in there? We can figure out how to group them later.

And I'm not 100% married to everything being a Roy. Some VF-1S Hikaru's with Supers would work too.

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/100 Hi Metal - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

-1/100 Hi Metal R - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

Edited by sqidd

3 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I like the input.:good:

I'm definitely not married to any plan at this point. You guys are making some great suggestions. If it's going to be "the ultimate" VF-1 through time" display it's going to need input from everyone I think.

I'm all ears. And making adjustments.

Can you take this list and add what you think should be in there? We can figure out how to group them later.

And I'm not 100% married to everything being a Roy. Some VF-1S Hikaru's with Supers would work too.

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/100 Hi Metal - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

-1/100 Hi Metal R - ?????? (release of the first VF-1, doesn't have to be Roy)

No problem.  I like the idea, and I think it would make a great video series, as well (wink @jenius, I thought the GBP and super parts evolution videos were awesome).

As for the Hi metal stuff, Anymoon still has you covered there (Hikaru was the first release).  

VF-1J Hikaru Custom, June 2010, 5,500 Yen
VF-1S Focker Custom, November 2010, 6,500 Yen

For Hi Metal R:

The GBP set (technically not Hikaru)  was the first release there.  Roy came out in April 2016.

Similar to the Yamato/arcadia 1/60 v2 situation though, I'm not sure you need a representative from both Hi Metal and HMR.  There are differences, but they are pretty subtle.  I think an HMR release would be enough to represent that line, personally.

19 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

No problem.  I like the idea, and I think it would make a great video series, as well (wink @jenius, I thought the GBP and super parts evolution videos were awesome).

As for the Hi metal stuff, Anymoon still has you covered there (Hikaru was the first release).  

VF-1J Hikaru Custom, June 2010, 5,500 Yen
VF-1S Focker Custom, November 2010, 6,500 Yen

For Hi Metal R:

The GBP set (technically not Hikaru)  was the first release there.  Roy came out in April 2016.

Similar to the Yamato/arcadia 1/60 v2 situation though, I'm not sure you need a representative from both Hi Metal and HMR.  There are differences, but they are pretty subtle.  I think an HMR release would be enough to represent that line, personally.

Man, how can I not see that stuff when I'm looking for it!? I'm so bad at that!

You may have missed the post where I decided to make the release dates the release date for that line (regardless of model/designation). That has the most continuity and plays to it being about the VF-1 more than the VF-1 Roy specifically.:good:I may end up with some non Roy's in there anyway. The DX for example. I could use Hikaru's right now (I have three in boxes still) and not wait for the Roy's. I have those three extra just in case Bandai never releases a Roy. I can use them to get Roy customs done.

I agree, I'll probably drop the HM from the list. I'll keep it on there for now.

So who has notable additions to the list below? @tekering you had some suggestions correct?

Thanks!

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/100 Hi Metal - 6/2010

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/100 Hi Metal R - 9/2015

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at? Is that a custom??

Takatoku 1/100 transformable Valk figures. I didn’t mean you need the exact SSP Roy version in the link that apparently only a few exist in the world but a standard Roy would do. It is a shitty but extremely fun toy that had perfect transformation although some forms looked far from perfect, lol!

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Just put out and display whatever you already have.

Add others as you procured them later.

Not really sure why the unnecessary complications...

Many of us have a lot of time on our hands right now. Seems a good a time as any to complicate a collection strategy and have fun with it :p

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

3 hours ago, treatment said:

Just put out and display whatever you already have.

Add others as you procured them later.

Not really sure why the unnecessary complications...

I thrive in "complicated".;)

Edited by sqidd

6 minutes ago, tekering said:

Now that @jenius is contributing to this thread, my participation seem redundant...  :unknw:

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-35.jpg

I surrender!:rofl:

Now I'm totally re-thinking. I love that pile! Maybe I won't display in Fighter and Battroid at the same time. Maybe all Battroid.

Sooooooooooo, who is going to be kind enough to make a list of everything in that pic?:wub:

Edited by sqidd

I can only guess on the big ones:

Back row (starting from the left):  

- 1/55 Chunky;

- 1/48 Yammy;

- 1/48 Bandai;

- 1/55 Toynami.

Middle Row:

- 1/60 V2 Yammy/Arcadia;

- ???

- ???

- 1/60 Version 1 Yammy.

The rest? :unknw:

I can throw a list up when I'm not on my phone if someone doesn't beat me to it. A more fun game might be to name all the toys NOT present in that photo. I'm sure JVMacross can immediately identify a few.

Edited by jenius

1 hour ago, Mog said:

I can only guess on the big ones:

Back row (starting from the left):  

- 1/55 Chunky;

- 1/48 Yammy;

- 1/48 Bandai;

- 1/55 Toynami.

Middle Row:

- 1/60 V2 Yammy/Arcadia;

- 1/72 HCM

- 1/76 Takatoku

- 1/60 Version 1 Yammy.

Front row:

- Toynami 1/100

- Takatoku 1/100

- Takatoku 1/144

- Takatoku "battroid valkyrie" non-scale but about 1/115

- Revoltech

- Yamato GnuDou

- Revoltech transformable

- Bandai Hi-Metal R

Edited by jenius

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I can throw a list up when I'm not on my phone if someone doesn't beat me to it. A more fun game might be to name all the toys NOT present in that photo. I'm sure JVMacross can immediately identify a few.

Guess it all depends on what your qualifying criteria would be...I loose definition of "VF-1J TV Hikaru toy" can get hardcore pretty quickly.....

large.20191222_154105.jpg.8ba8b19219912f

large.gallery_12176_633_42785.jpg.1caccb

large.20141007_165334.jpg.e6cfa501c7c9e6

large.10738453_P1180505(Medium).JPG.3794

large.gallery_12176_618_837183.jpg.5c0f7

large.gallery_12176_618_58513.jpg.175f86

taksd1jhikaruloose.jpg

vinylhikarubox.jpg

Toynami-Superposeable-VF-1-4.jpg

10460-BOX-5a.png

toynami-robotech-morphers-7-683x1024.jpg

KC-100022-01.jpg

Robotech_VF-1J_2048x2048.png?v=157161048

s-l1600.jpg

il_fullxfull.2161298961_ejfi.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Bravo JVMacross, you definitely thought of a few I hadn't. I wished I had had a Henkei VF-1J available when I did the shoot since it seems to fit really well with everything else represented but most of those others would have been a fine addition as well. Unfortunately, a toy that iconic is spread throughout a lot of storage bins so it's hard to imagine I'll be able to pull together a more complete spread any time soon.

Edited by jenius

28 minutes ago, jenius said:

Bravo JVMacross, you definitely thought of a few I hadn't.

Look, I realize I'm the one who led us into this particular minefield, but I think you two better dial it back a bit.  You're gonna give poor sqidd an aneurysm.  :blink:

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Look, I realize I'm the one who led us into this particular minefield, but I think you two better dial it back a bit.  You're gonna give poor sqidd an aneurysm.  :blink:

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

His call....

I always choose the red pill.:D

Thanks guys!!!

• 4 weeks later...