VF-1S Valkyrie WIP

Olitech Industries

More refining and contouring the roughed in parts.

Some hidden styling on the central reactor/thruster so the bottom of it contours to the leg thrusters.

Also some hard surfacing and contour styling of the chest plate.

Minor refinement on the wings.

It's reeeeealllly hard to avoid the detailing at this point. All I want to do is start chopping panel lines, but it is taking all of my strength to avoid it for now - I want to remain focused on the shape of the overall plane, and how the different parts relate to each other - then style the crap out of them.

VF_V2_ALL_08.jpg

VF_V2_ALL_09.jpg

VF_V2_ALL_10.jpg

VF_V2_ALL_11.jpg

VF_V2_CHEST 01.jpg

VF_V2_CHEST 02.jpg

VF_V2_CHEST 03.jpg

I see what you mean about the legs looking square; the intakes look just a bit too wide at the fronts. Try reducing the diameter of them horizontally and tapering them slightly so they widen as they go back. if you look at the blueprints, you'll see what I mean.

Aside from that, looks like the craft is looking really good! :thumbup

Edited by pengbuzz

40 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I see what you mean about the legs looking square; the intakes look just a bit too wide at the fronts. Try reducing the diameter of them horizontally and tapering them slightly so they widen as they go back. if you look at the blueprints, you'll see what I mean.

Aside from that, looks like the craft is looking really good! :thumbup

Maybe a little. These are just blocked in for now. I did trace them from the Kawamori drawing to get the proportions, but will start referring to the blueprints for the next passes.

Second pass will refine them and shape them out.

I know they slightly taper in at the front, bulge back out around the shoulder centerline, then taper back down hard as they get to the bottom of the knee. I always loved that curve!

Pengbuzz, regarding the legs, currently I have them as symmetrical down the middle. In reality, I will have to flatten the inside 'calf' to facilitate the arms in the proportions we are looking for. Look at the current front view. Once I flatten the inside leg, there should be a lot of room for thick arms.

4 hours ago, Olitech Industries said:

Maybe a little. These are just blocked in for now. I did trace them from the Kawamori drawing to get the proportions, but will start referring to the blueprints for the next passes.

Second pass will refine them and shape them out.

I know they slightly taper in at the front, bulge back out around the shoulder centerline, then taper back down hard as they get to the bottom of the knee. I always loved that curve!

Pengbuzz, regarding the legs, currently I have them as symmetrical down the middle. In reality, I will have to flatten the inside 'calf' to facilitate the arms in the proportions we are looking for. Look at the current front view. Once I flatten the inside leg, there should be a lot of room for thick arms.

Ah, gotcha. Looking forward to your progress!

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Olitech Industries said:

*POOF*

Aaaaand we're back.

Hit the ground running with the canopy WIP.

Dry fitting the cockpit, so I can lock down the fuselage shape and start cutting.

FYI, will be updating this in my VR thread weekly.

BLK6_CANOPY01.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY02.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY03.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY04.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY05.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY06.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY07.jpg

BLK6_CANOPY08.jpg

Your work is just so extremely impressive! I'm looking forward to your next update!!

On 3/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Olitech Industries said:

Sorry, not a real update, but just had to share this quickie on my break - I gotta say, for me there's very little that's more satisfying that seeing something you created from nothing start to become something.

Fuselage detail commencing. Shown in my favourite colour - primer grey. Seriously!

BLK6 VF1S FUSELAGE WIP01.jpg

Really coming along here! If the rest of this ends up looking as good as your cockpit work (and by all rights it should), you're probably going to walk away with the MW 3d render award* this year!!!

*Not an actual award, but it should be!

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Really coming along here! If the rest of this ends up looking as good as your cockpit work (and by all rights it should), you're probably going to walk away with the MW 3d render award* this year!!!

*Not an actual award, but it should be!

Haha, thanks for the kind words Pengbuzz!

However,  I would never accept an award because I am kind of against them. (But that's another story) My reward is your excitement.

It's an honour just being nominated. (LOL)

Ok back to business.

Panel lines being cut, and thus the bodywork begins. Finally getting back to a similar point with this V2 model as with the V1 model at the start of this thread! I'm so glad I rebuilt it - this one is just magic. It even looks good from the INSIDE!

Happy Friday MW family!

VF1_PANELS_01.jpg

VF1_PANELS_02.jpg

VF1_PANELS_03.jpg

VF1_PANELS_04.jpg

VF1_PANELS_05.jpg

VF1_PANELS_06.jpg

VF1_PANELS_07.jpg

VF1_PANELS_08.jpg

VF1_PANELS_09.jpg

On 4/1/2022 at 7:16 PM, Olitech Industries said:

Haha, thanks for the kind words Pengbuzz!

However,  I would never accept an award because I am kind of against them. (But that's another story) My reward is your excitement.

It's an honour just being nominated. (LOL)

Ok back to business.

Panel lines being cut, and thus the bodywork begins. Finally getting back to a similar point with this V2 model as with the V1 model at the start of this thread! I'm so glad I rebuilt it - this one is just magic. It even looks good from the INSIDE!

Happy Friday MW family!

VF1_PANELS_01.jpg

VF1_PANELS_02.jpg

VF1_PANELS_03.jpg

VF1_PANELS_04.jpg

VF1_PANELS_05.jpg

VF1_PANELS_06.jpg

VF1_PANELS_07.jpg

VF1_PANELS_08.jpg

VF1_PANELS_09.jpg

lol Fair enough! I like the paint chipping effects you're putting on the metal edges there!

Smile! You're on candid camera.

Ended up spending 2 whole workdays on the FLIR alone. I think it's worth it though.

If it was me, I would have mounted the lens on the inside wall of the blister cavity instead of the rear. I know it's called a 'forward looking infra red' camera, but in my opinion, mounting it 90 degrees from where it is now would give you maximum FOV. Especially since there are 2 of them on either side of the fuselage.

However it's not me, it's only through me. (LOL) So the original design remains.

Shown with and without the protective glass.

VF1_FLIR_01.jpg

VF1_FLIR_01_WIRE.jpg

VF1_FLIR_02.jpg

VF1_FLIR_03.jpg

VF1_FLIR_03_WIRE.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok some work on the nose landing gear.

I'm so rusty in IK that it took me a while to figure out this simple rig. I had to re-culture hard into IK with no bones. Finally got it all working!

I set up some animation to help me visualize the way rig should function. Just have to link up the launch bar/motor assembly and we are off to a good start.

Now that the mechanics work reasonably well, I can get back to the aesthetics.

2 minutes ago, Olitech Industries said:

Whew, there you are Knight26 - thought I lost you.

Nope still around, last update I commented on the FB thread to confirm that the nose bulges are IRSTs not lasers.

19 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Nope still around, last update I commented on the FB thread to confirm that the nose bulges are IRSTs not lasers.

Oh SNAP.

That was you! Hilarious. Nose lasers. Sigh.

Thanks for having my back (lol). Just like footsteps on the beach. ;)

I only discovered/joined MFC last month. So still a newbie.

Ok enough rigging for now - back to the details. 

So I had to flip a couple of things around.

Not sure why they keep showing the steering motor above the drag bar in the drawings and in the Masterfile illustrations?

I tried to keep it this way, but my drag bar piston kept popping through the mount - there simply wasn't enough room for that config.

I flipped the steering motor and drag bar mount, and now everything fits.

Lastly, I went with an f-18 launch bar mechanism. Thought it looked cooler than the Masterfile one.

Oh well!

A special shout out to Cthonic for the Northrom logo!!!

VF1_NLG 01.jpg

VF1_NLG 02.jpg

VF1_NLG 03.jpg

VF1_NLG 04.jpg

VF1_NLG 05.jpg

VF1_NLG 06.jpg

VF1_NLG 07.jpg

VF1_NLG 08.jpg

Edited by Olitech Industries

• 3 weeks later...