Shizuoka Hobby Show 2020 - Cancelled

chyll2

Japanese society is heavily influenced by the media, and rampant paranoia is their bread and butter (terrorist attacks, missile strikes from North Korea, deadly Chinese viruses), but as an English teacher here, this irrational panic is hurting my business.  Schools are closed, community centers are closed, and many of my classes have been canceled as a result.  Damned fear-mongering is hitting me where it counts!  :vava:

It is way overblown for sure, but I’m not really gonna fault them over this. Their just trying to protect themselves and their families. It’s not something that would effect the young and healthy much, but with their families having young infants or the worry of passing it to a grandparent is a concern for them. Being much closer to the source and having business contacts that may have come from somewhere that may have had a few cases in a convention type atmosphere is an iffy thing as well. Overall it’s mostly for peace of mind.

We’re gonna find out what products that would’ve been shown off one way or the other.

I’m with you on the education thing. But it’s kinda one of those things that should include preventative measures as well as what to do if you end up infected as well. There’s so much about not getting something like the average flu, but rarely how to avoid getting others sick. Either way we will have people that don’t follow those precautions and this will possibly turn into another illness we just have to live with.

Disease prevention education... most everyone here wears masks (to not get sick), and then they don't wear them they way they're supposed to be worn to keep from getting sick (e.g. wearing them as chin guards).

... and lets not get started on what my Japanese coworkers are calling "cough etiquette", and how bad some people's cough manners are... (can I refer to those bad mannered ones as super-spreaders? :rolleyes:)

Anyhow, a bit more on what's going on regarding closures, etc.:

• major theme parks (USJ, Tokyo Disneyland/Sea, etc.) closed through to 03/15.
  • theatres (Kabuki, etc.) also closed to 15th
  • public elementary/Jr. & Sr. high schools—it depends where.  Osaka Prefecture has closed them all until... well, most are closed until April  (some until 03/25, and apparently some for only "3 weeks"!)  However, in neighbouring Kyoto City, schools are opening Monday, with no plans to close (as of last night's news)
  • private schools: these aren't subject to PM Abe's "request" to close schools.  So, I have some private school students saying their schools are closed, and others saying they aren't (or more specifically: "final exams from Monday").
  • kindergartens, preschools, and 学童保育 (after school care for elementary school kids)... those are all outside of PM Abe's "request".  In fact, they've been asked to stay open! :rolleyes:

The school closures are not a 'blanket closure'' as some foreign media are reporting (it was along the lines of a "request" to public schools to be decided by individual school districts).  It basically amounts to a last minute decision, and there was zero time to prepare for it, it doesn't appear to be very well thought out (while the kids might not be getting sick from their peers at school, what about siblings at kindergarten or working parents bringing the virus home?), and is causing chaos (what are single mothers working on an hourly wage to do... other than not work?  Etc.)  Crazy.

Tekering, I feel for you.  My school's parent company has said "business as usual until Sunday", and then they're going to make a decision on whether or not classes are cancelled on Monday (probably when PM Abe decides on whether juku are also going to be closed.  Never mind about the private schools, etc. :crazy: )

Those flimsy masks everyone wears are great for not spraying infected droplets everywhere when you sneeze, but beyond that they're pretty ineffective.

They need to swipe some N95 masks from their local hospitals. I wear one when I'm spraying my toys/models. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

They need to swipe some N95 masks from their local hospitals. I wear one when I'm spraying my toys/models. :wacko:

N95 are part of the kit now , in Cali. Since the big fires a few years back we stocked up. All those burnt bits of metal and plastic were snowing everywhere. Yes , fitting them properly is key, otherwise they're not very effective.

Back to the topic at hand-

Is there any way for us to see what new Macross products were going to be shown or announced? 

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

From my travels to Japan, hand-washing is a bit of an issue as well. Sure in a decent restaurant you can get a hot towel before you eat, but just about everywhere there aren't even places to dry your hands in the bathroom.

I think this is the norm for Asian countries, napkins , paper towels and even tissues is not always placed out.

Residents seem to carry their own tissue packs and handkerchief.

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Those flimsy masks everyone wears are great for not spraying infected droplets everywhere when you sneeze, but beyond that they're pretty ineffective.

Correction: they're great for not being splattered by infected droplets on your nose and mouth when someone else sneezes, and just about only that. ;)

On Bolt’s question about product news, there are the official sites and even news sites like tag hobby and others that post releases. Another good source is right here in other sections, like toys or model kits. I’ve noticed that many users here are great at posting upcoming product news. I’m sure that very soon due to this event being canceled the companies involved will try their best to get the word out for their planned products.

Masks does nothing to stop you getting infected by a disease, even if they are N95 mask, we get infect thru our eyes easier, mask are good for when you are sick and you don’t want to spread your sickness. Health workers in china are wearing both mask with googles, thats the best way to not get infected, or full face mask.

Edited by Guyffon

• azrael locked this topic