VF-X-4 Battroid from Macross: Remember Me

Macross GURU

Hello, 

I've been trying to hunt down some rare art. I found this little gem and made an attempt to clean it up and enhance it. It is the VF-X-4 Siren from the Macoss: Remember Me game on th PC98, correction Macross: Eternal Love Song promotional art. Thanks to @Seto Kaiba for the correction.  Original drawing unknown author; possibly by Koichi Ohata. Enhancement and Color done by Me.

VF-X-4_Siren_Battroid.png

Edited by Macross GURU

47 minutes ago, Macross GURU said:

Hello, 

I've been trying to hunt down some rare art. I found this little gem and made an attempt to clean it up and enhance it. It is the VF-X-4 Siren from the Macoss: Remember Me game on th PC98. Original drawing unknown author; possibly by Koichi Ohata. Enhancement and Color done by Me.

VF-X-4_Siren_Battroid.png

That's not from Macross: Remember Me... or any of the FamilySoft Macross games.

That's from Macross: Eternal Love Song, a TRPG for the Turbografx-16/PC Engine's Super CD-ROM2 add-on published by Masaya in 1992.  Eternal Love Song was one of two Macross II: Lovers Again tie-in video games that were released on the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 that year, the first being the R-Type-style side scrolling shooter Macross 2036.  This VF-4 design was made specifically for Macross: Eternal Love Song, since Kawamori's VF-4 design was incomplete at the time, and had both a more traditional VF-1-like transformation and vaguely UC Gundam-esque equipment like a beam rifle and funnels.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's not from Macross: Remember Me... or any of the FamilySoft Macross games.

That's from Macross: Eternal Love Song, a TRPG for the Turbografx-16/PC Engine's Super CD-ROM2 add-on published by Masaya in 1992.  Eternal Love Song was one of two Macross II: Lovers Again tie-in video games that were released on the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 that year, the first being the R-Type-style side scrolling shooter Macross 2036.  This VF-4 design was made specifically for Macross: Eternal Love Song, since Kawamori's VF-4 design was incomplete at the time, and had both a more traditional VF-1-like transformation and vaguely UC Gundam-esque equipment like a beam rifle and funnels.

Ahhh! I hadn't played Macross: 2023 or Macross: Eternal Love Song yet. I remember the VF-X-4 being in the PC98 game. 

Edited by Macross GURU

1 minute ago, Macross GURU said:

Ahhh! I hadn't played Macross: 2023 or Macross: Eternal Love Song yet. I remember the VF-X-4 being in the game. 

You only get the VF-4 Siren in the last mission or two of the game, with the Prometheus II launches a ramming attack on the Burado fleet's mobile fortress and you fight the last boss (basically attacking Burado himself, like how Hikaru gunned down Boddole Zer in DYRL?).

This art was from a promotional piece in a PC Engine-specific gaming mag.  I have a mountain of back issues I bought looking for this exact piece, so I can get you a title once I get home.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 months later...

I was curious if you had been able to grab this image any better or if you had found any other sketches of this iteration of the VF-4? I am a huge fan of the ELS game and really like the 2036 and ELS designs. Those games were so full of great design work and its unfortunate its not more "out there".