A Quiet Place Part II

Old_Nash

Really enjoyed the first; I figured if a sequel was made, it'd revolve around the discovery of using sound as a weapon to defeat the creatures, and the film would be akin to Aliens . This looks good, though, actually better than another military bug-hunt.  In these sorts of films, where the first begins with the aftermath of some calamity, in this case invasion by a less-than-cordial species,  I usually enjoy seeing how that calamity unfolded, and I hope we get to see John Krasinski, who's again co-writing and directing, reprise his role as the father, at least for a brief time. I like the line, "The people who survived aren't the kind of people worth saving", as it sets up  a moral conundrum, and I can't help but feel, perhaps too cynically, that that's the way it would go if something like this really did happen.  It's a good setup for yet another adventure for our intrepid family , and I look forward to how it plays out in the sequel.

Looks excellent, loved the first film. The story is taking a predictable turn, not a bad thing, humans are the biggest monsters, like Walking Dead, Last of Us, etc. I'm also really, really happy to see some flashback scenes to when the crap first him the fan, that's something I was really interested in seeing as I watched the first film. We've seen plenty of zombie outbreaks, but a crazy monster alien invasion/outbreak, with these particular monsters? I'm in. 

I haven't seen the first one, guess I should check it out.  Being a parent of a 5 year old and a screaming 1.5 year old at home, I have no idea how we'd survive.  

Kids make noise, and sometimes there's no way to calm them down in a hurry.  We'd probably be fraked.

Have guns, and decent supply of ammo, but nothing to make them quiet (because Canada).

Guess instead of bugging out, we'd probably bug in.  Sound proof the hell out of the house, stockpile food.

I liked the first one, though it did start to strain even my suspension of disbelief with each added injury to the mother.

Seems like this will be "The Walking Quiet", which I'm sort of fine with, since I still watch TWD.

If they don't get to the , "Let's take back the planet"/resistance part of this overall story, I'll be disappointed, since that's where I thought this was headed at the end of 1.

Seems like this might be a smaller film going by the trailer, so if it's good, I'm willing to wait till a part 3 to see the "Rise of the Bug Hunters" story.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from seeing it (in the theater, finally!), and I thought it was just as good as the first one. 

Spoiler

I didn't feel like it broke any new ground, really, save for a brief glimmer of hope. We are treated to a quick prelude to the first film where we see the arrival of humanity's equalizer, as it were. We learn a new weakness of the creatures. I thought there'd be more human on human aggression in this one, given the ominous line, "not all survivors are worth saving" (paraphrasing), but it was really more of a footnote than an issue for the protagonists. The movie felt like it just ended abruptly, with more story to tell. Fortunately for fans of the franchise, there's going to be a third installment directed by Jeff Nichols, whom John Krasinski chose to replace him at the helm. Looking forward to it, and hopefully, neither new strains of Covid nor any other global disease will keep theaters closed when it's ready to premier. Fingers crossed.

Thought this movie was fantastic and a very worthy sequel to the first. While the emotional stakes felt different, they were still firmly rooted in the concept of family and keeping them safe. The main difference was about the growth of the older kids and what they go through in this movie.

Some questionable plot beats;

Spoiler

especially around the cannibal/bad people, and the fact that no one thought to have lookouts on the island (for the monsters or any other potential threats like the cannibal people and their literal fleet of boats).

Can't wait for more!

-b.

52 minutes ago, Big s said:

I think the islanders just thought everyone coming their way would just be friendly 

Yeah...suuupppper questionable plot/story beat right there.

The part of the movie directly before that and just leading up to the climax are the weakest part of both films. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't ruin the movie, but for me was a real head scratcher on why Krasinski would go in that direction (no pun intended). 

-b.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I think a lot of issues would have been solved in the films with the liberal use of duct tape.  :D

Nope, it would totally backfire every time someone needed to eat. Then it starts with the ripping of the tape and then the screaming bringing on the ripping of flesh and finally silence