YF-19 DX Chogokin Fold Booster Light Mod

shearx

Hi folks, first time post here, though I've been an on-and-off lurker for a while..

I just recently completed a mod of the fold booster that comes with the DX Chogokin YF-19 Full Set Pack, and figured I'd post some pics to see what you guys think. I used a 840 mAh 14500 LI-Ion cell, 4x 3mm LEDs, 2 red and 2 green, each with a 100 ohm resister, all wired in parallel so as to be powered by the 3.7v source. The inside of the booster needed significant modifications, going so far as to literally cut some parts completely out to make room for the battery. The wiring is certainly not the best, as this really my first project with wiring up something from scratch.  I also didn't have anything to cannibalize terminals from, so I made due with what I had, which wasn't much, unfortunately, but it can be fixed later down the line if I feel like it, I suppose..

Anyway, here we go :)

Inside the booster...

WufsB7a.jpg?1

Outside, showing LEDs lit, with no clear parts attached..

UoUajFq.jpg

Partially assembled, showing the switch location beneath one of the panels..

Iyqqrfh.jpg?1

Fully assembled..

slVAYK1.jpg

Mounted on the Valkyrie

dEOvYB6.jpg

Edited by shearx

53 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Welcome to MW!!!!

Excellent mod, turned out great.

32 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Wow!!

Great mod!

Welcome to the boards. I hope to see more of your work in the future.

thanks guys. hoping i can stay active here with my schedule.

Edited by shearx

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

Looks great! I haven't soldered anything together since modding my Bandai Enterprise, but now you've got me thinking of breaking out the soldering iron again. ^_^

haha glad you and the others like it. If you do decide to mod this particular piece, try to be patient with it. Literally ever piece is super glued together, except for the clear parts, which makes it a tad frustrating to get apart. It took everything in me to resist just ripping the damn thing apart lmao

On 12/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, shearx said:

haha glad you and the others like it. If you do decide to mod this particular piece, try to be patient with it. Literally ever piece is super glued together, except for the clear parts, which makes it a tad frustrating to get apart. It took everything in me to resist just ripping the damn thing apart lmao

How do you separate parts that have been superglued together?

16 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

How do you separate parts that have been superglued together?

A lot of patience. It initially took some time to even figure out how to the parts were joined and where. But gradually, with steady stressing the booster in various places, it became easier to see the seam lines. A fine razor blade, a few spudgers, and guitar picks later, it finally came apart.

14 hours ago, Alex GS said:

I think I would it pay some extra dlls to Bandai be able to add this gimmick, in the meantime awesome job @shearx , it looks stunning!!

Thanks. I was super disappointed when I found out it didn't light up like the Yamato one.