1:55 parts (3D printed or cast)

Knight26

16 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

That

That..................is...........................awesome!!!!!:good:

What are the plans for how they get attached?

20221023_154119.jpg

Thanks! Still a work in progress. I'm already designing new armaments, now that I've seen how these ones look on the 1/55. Stay tuned.

Right now I'm attaching them using temporary blue tack, but doing so more permanently will require embedding small magnets in the parts and the wings. These are meant to go on some Strike customs I'm working on, so I don't mind altering the wings a little. 

17 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Now that I think about it 3M has some nice thin double sided tape that may work a bit better than blue tack. I myself don't mind modding the wings.

Keep us posted. Those look great. Especially the beefy reaction missiles. They look perfect on the Chunky! I'd love to get a few sets of these!

Yeah, the blue tack was just a temporary thing so I could quickly stick the armaments on and get a sense for how they looked on the valk. Double-sided tape is a more elegant solution for longer-term attachment without having to modify the wings. Will keep everyone posted on availability. Worst case I'll post the files on a site like Cults3D so folks can print them, but could also potentially print some sets for MW members.

I do like the chunkiness of the current RMS-1, but it's also been bothering me, so I decided to create a new version from scratch, using the Hasegawa 1/72 Weapons Set as the primary source, and will see how that looks on the valk. I'll do the same for the UUM-7, but the design is a bit more complicated and will take more time to draft.

image.png.7b09be73faac9f8d874c0a26eb64b23c.png

2 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Playing Devil's advocate here. I actually like the simpler ones better because the Chunkies are simplistic. More continuity of theme/feel?:unknw:

I've set up the design so that I can turn the finer details on or off, so I'll likely play with both options. There's another level of detail on the Hasegawa designs (hatches, rivets, etc.) that I'm avoiding because then the armament would definitely look way too "real" compared to the Chunky we love so much.

12 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I've set up the design so that I can turn the finer details on or off, so I'll likely play with both options. There's another level of detail on the Hasegawa designs (hatches, rivets, etc.) that I'm avoiding because then the armament would definitely look way too "real" compared to the Chunky we love so much.

Agreed.

The direction you are going now works well we with the chunky 1/55. I am looking forward to your completed work to order a couple of sets.

Not sure if I missed this, but how are these going to mount under the wings?

Fantastic work as always.

7 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Agreed.

The direction you are going now works well we with the chunky 1/55. I am looking forward to your completed work to order a couple of sets.

Not sure if I missed this, but how are these going to mount under the wings?

Fantastic work as always.

I've designed these to support a few Strike custom projects, so my intent is to use small magnets embedded in the top of the connectors and the underside of the wings. @Chunky001's idea of using two-sided tape is a good one if you don't want to permanently modify your 1/55.

• 1 month later...

Finally had some time to work on the armaments again. Ended up redoing them, but from the outside you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Original versions were solid, meaning that after printing they'd be a bit heavy and could bend the wings. New versions are hollow and break down into multiple pieces for easy printing and assembly. I got a little smarter about 3D design over the past month. :D

image.png.02cf0c43deaaf8bf4a207664c0706099.png

Edited by Anasazi37

7 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Finally had some time to work on the armaments again. Ended up redoing them, but from the outside you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Original versions were solid, meaning that after printing they'd be a bit heavy and could bend the wings. New versions are hollow and break down into multiple pieces for easy printing and assembly. I got a little smarter about 3D design over the past month. :D

image.png.02cf0c43deaaf8bf4a207664c0706099.png

Nice work!

Appreciate the kind words. I've been inspired by the work of Robert James, who designs these truly incredible 3D-printable kits for a variety of starships--at really large sizes. Seeing how he breaks down all of the parts into components that are easy to print and fit together well is both impressive and humbling. :hail:

https://cults3d.com/en/users/RobertJamesModels/creations 

After some additional tweaks this morning, I think the new designs are ready for a test print. I made the front section of the RMS-1 removable and also split the front section of the UUM-7 into two pieces so you can paint the missiles separate from everything else.

image.png.294c98ae1b38db963ade220e563a8f98.png 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right in the middle of test printing the RMS-1 and UUM-7 designs, and so far they look great, but I still have to remove them from their supports, do some additional cleaning, and then cure them before I'll know for sure that they're done. In the interim I decided to rework the gunpod, which I finished last night. From the outside it looks pretty much the same as my last version, but I did *a lot* more work to hollow out the inside so it will be light and easy to clean after printing. I also redesigned the front portion of the barrel so you don't have to worry about the little clips breaking and made the various hole fillers more smooth. I'm much happier with this version. Original parts from armamentfactory in the background, my new version in the foreground. The main section actually prints as one piece, but I split it in half for this image so you can see the interior.

image.png.4ef3d6ece1cca620930939ab2b1a90e6.png

Edited by Anasazi37

• 6 months later...
On 7/17/2023 at 2:22 AM, strikevalk said:

interested in these if they are ever produced....

I need to get back to this project. I'm a lot smarter about 3D design now and should rework these a bit. The RMS-1 is almost 100% ready to go, but the UUM-7 still needs some tweaking. It mainly comes down to tolerances between parts that have to fit together after printing, but I'd also like to make a pylon to hold two RMS-1, like what we see on Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai valks.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:05 AM, Anasazi37 said:

I need to get back to this project. I'm a lot smarter about 3D design now and should rework these a bit. The RMS-1 is almost 100% ready to go, but the UUM-7 still needs some tweaking. It mainly comes down to tolerances between parts that have to fit together after printing, but I'd also like to make a pylon to hold two RMS-1, like what we see on Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai valks.

awesome! please keep me posted!

• 6 months later...

It's been over a year since I started working on Hasegawa-style armaments for the 1/55 VF-1. I set the project aside for a long time, but picked it back up this past week. It's really coming together now. The armaments break down into multiple parts for easier printing, painting, and assembly. They are hollow so there isn't any strain on the wings from extra weight. They utilize tiny magnets for attachment (right now I'm using some blue tack for quick testing purposes). I'm also thinking about making a pylon to hold both RMS-1 missiles instead of having one for each. That would be more consistent with Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai valks.

image.jpeg.4fe49934ae4330004a94fed4a464068b.jpeg

print sample top.jpg

print sample side.jpg

fusion sample.jpg

2 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Wow. Those look amazing.

I will definitely be needed a set of these.

And I'm currently working on a double-RMS pylon option, which is more consistent with the Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai toy lines. Stay tuned!

image.png.2310dced4300bb0bfa32b2674611fd35.png

On 1/26/2024 at 4:39 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

What size magnets are you using to install the arsenal?

They're lightweight enough, because they're hollow, that I'm either going to use 1/16" or 1/10" diameter with 1/32" thickness. Plenty of pull force with 1/10", but hoping to get away with 1/16" so I can make smaller holes in the wings.

Edited by Anasazi37

On 1/26/2024 at 3:59 PM, Anasazi37 said:

They're lightweight enough, because they're hollow, that I'm either going to use 1/16" or 1/10" diameter with 1/32" thickness. Plenty of pull force with 1/10", but hoping to get away with 1/16" so I'm making smaller holes in the wings.

That’s really good to know. Thanks for not letting this awesome project get away.

Latest update. Added additional panel line details across the board, along with a very shallow channel on both sides of the RMS as a guide for painting the black stripes. Also made some internal improvement to help with printing and assembly.

updated_sample.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Results of the latest test print. Panel line details came out well and the double RMS-1 pylon attachment system is working as designed. I'm not 100% happy with how the rear section of the UUM-7 is printing, though. Need to fix that before making the files available for purchase.

image.jpeg.7ff4e84458f294d4bd90645fa33905bf.jpeg

UUM-7 and RMS-1 Top.jpg

RMS-1 Only Side.jpg

UUM-7 and RMS-1 Side.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a little time to wrap up the design work on the armament set, do a final test print, and upload everything to Cults 3D:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/weapon-armament-set-for-the-1-55-vf-1-armored-valkyrie

@nightmareB4macross, let me know if you still want a set. I plan on printing and prepping a few of them for my own projects and thought you might want one for your museum (or a custom).

print sample.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

6 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Finally had a little time to wrap up the design work on the armament set, do a final test print, and upload everything to Cults 3D:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/weapon-armament-set-for-the-1-55-vf-1-armored-valkyrie

@nightmareB4macross, let me know if you still want a set. I plan on printing and prepping a few of them for my own projects and thought you might want one for your museum (or a custom).

print sample.jpg

I definitely would like a set.

PM details and price please, along with PayPal addy.

Thank you.