1:55 parts (3D printed or cast)

Knight26

I recently acquired a pretty beat up 1:55 Hikaru VF-1S.  It is missing all of its fast packs, gunpod, canopy and the head laser need replacement.  The front landing gear also needs repair and it is pretty yellowed.  Does anyone have STLs for the parts above?  

Edited by Knight26

I dont know about STL files but several members here cast those parts over the years so you might be able to get some parts that way. 

Maybe someone better at cad than me could, get their micrometer and the parts out and create an STL or two.

Edited by big F

There are a few pieces that people have replicated at Thingiverse, not fastpacks as of yet however:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=jetfire&dwh=965e023e71ad5ae

Here's a booster scaled at a much smaller size, since it's for a table-top mini game piece, but you could scaled it up in your slicer or edit it in Meshmixer:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3089255

Try searching yeggi.com as well, might find some stray parts on other listing sights.

Lastly there's always the photogrammetry option.  I was able to use the Trnio app on my iPhone to snap pics of an old Matchbox Invid shock trooper cannon and get that to generate a model many hours later.  It was tiny, maybe 5mm, but I scaled it up, and after some cleaning up in Meshmixer, it's hard to tell that it isn't an original part from a few feet away.  Up close, however, it's definitely not a good clone.  There are other photogrammetry options depending on what kind of computer you have.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, UN_MARINE said:

Here's what "pretty darn close" looks like. Next step will be to split up the model + the missile gimmick (except for the spring). What do you guys think?

1_55_GUNPOD_02a.thumb.jpg.8d9d44913d8985f082d696d7e7b34716.jpg

Very nice indeed.  Those of us how first got out VF-1's as Jetfire never had the spring-loaded shooter guns, so to me, that model looks done.

Anybody willing to do some test printing? 1/55 GU-11 Beta

All it's missing is the spring, and the screw. (I'll get to the missiles eventually)

1_55_GUNPOD_05a.thumb.jpg.7a6f8e40184f8cc1196c0360f2839693.jpg1_55_GUNPOD_06a.thumb.jpg.0be8adeecc7c63b0620055d2cfb60e16.jpg1_55_GUNPOD_07a.thumb.jpg.d6dd614c240e01f2b82cefa244d468f7.jpg1_55_GUNPOD_08a.thumb.jpg.cc0a722f77f85ffde7c2813fab3ce166.jpg1_55_GUNPOD_10a.thumb.jpg.b02fe5385d06333a5a8d17344a4513fe.jpg

2 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Very nice indeed.  Those of us how first got out VF-1's as Jetfire never had the spring-loaded shooter guns, so to me, that model looks done.

Thanks! I suppose we have the option to make a "deactivated" version. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done.

You know there is a new site that has printed parts for Toys that are no longer made, that has not long opened. the idea being you can print replacements and get your Toy back to how it should be.  https://toy-rescue.com/

Currently it is devoid of Macross things, maybe  this and some of the stuff hosted on various 3d sites should be uploaded for the Chunkie's.

Either way I am  going to Print up a few just to  add to the Bootleg Valks I have earmarked for my Little one once he realises what Macross is..

On 1/6/2020 at 11:30 PM, Mazinger said:

Very nice, thanks.

Thanks! No problem! We'll try to work up to the entire FAST pack set. :D

On 1/7/2020 at 12:32 AM, big F said:

Nicely done.

You know there is a new site that has printed parts for Toys that are no longer made, that has not long opened. the idea being you can print replacements and get your Toy back to how it should be.  https://toy-rescue.com/

Currently it is devoid of Macross things, maybe  this and some of the stuff hosted on various 3d sites should be uploaded for the Chunkie's.

Either way I am  going to Print up a few just to  add to the Bootleg Valks I have earmarked for my Little one once he realises what Macross is..

Thanks!

Interesting site, they definitely need some Macross parts.

Let me know how your prints go, and if the model needs further adjustments.

• 1 month later...

I have not yet got round to printing the gun-pod.

Found out my printer was out of alignment and needs all re jigging as the thing looks like its been that way for a while. just not had the spare small person free time to do this.

Regarding the Strike parts. is it just that you need some photos for scale and such.

If that's the case I'm  sure I can help out, just let me know , I pulled one of my 1/55 boxes out of storage the other day and there should be at least one set of Strike  Armor in there. 

I do have at least one of each type in my collection, some are cast some are originals, even have several sets from the cheap bootlegs that are sold on blister packs.

Just let me know if I can help out, I should be able to set something up and get scale photos that can be used for measurements.

1 hour ago, big F said:

I have not yet got round to printing the gun-pod.

Found out my printer was out of alignment and needs all re jigging as the thing looks like its been that way for a while. just not had the spare small person free time to do this.

Regarding the Strike parts. is it just that you need some photos for scale and such.

If that's the case I'm  sure I can help out, just let me know , I pulled one of my 1/55 boxes out of storage the other day and there should be at least one set of Strike  Armor in there. 

I do have at least one of each type in my collection, some are cast some are originals, even have several sets from the cheap bootlegs that are sold on blister packs.

Just let me know if I can help out, I should be able to set something up and get scale photos that can be used for measurements.

Printer re-calibration is always a chore - that reminds me, I'm overdue for a "catastrophic failure". 

Yes, a set of detailed pictures and measurements will do (preferably in metric).

Any help this project can get is highly appreciated! :D 

Although, I've seen an incomplete set of strike packs up close recently - it'll be a pretty involved job getting all the measurements.

I think the only unique armor parts are the backpack parts?

I'll need at least the complete beam cannon side of the booster unit, and a missile pod.

And while we're at it, I was thinking of making retro-style UUM-7 parts.

On 2/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, UN_MARINE said:

Currently in development:

1_55_AMM1_ASSY_07a.thumb.jpg.e6ed4d7b72419a9dc42c438a3d8371f3.jpg1_55_AMM1_ASSY_06a.thumb.jpg.8200ce247f5c219c5689b7387d42350b.jpg

...no luck with Strike packs yet.

You could use 4/6mm diameter*0,5mm neodyme magnets for the missiles. I'm working on my 1/55 VF 1A too :). ( Have you tried to sand and polish the landing gears? They look nicer after a little bit of work )

6 hours ago, F18LEGIOSS said:

You could use 4/6mm diameter*0,5mm neodyme magnets for the missiles. I'm working on my 1/55 VF 1A too :). ( Have you tried to sand and polish the landing gears? They look nicer after a little bit of work )

We're trying to keep it close to the originals, and without modification - it's pretty much a restoration project. ^_^

Haha yeah... I need to give my Valk a proper cleaning. Eventually. :lol: (I'm actually amazed at how much these diecast parts oxidize.)

The missiles packs are one part I have never had in any of the 30 or so 1/55 I own. 

So I will get round to printing these at some point.

I'm kinda glad that there is some action on the 1/55 section again, it alays was my favourite scale and subject for Macross.

May be some new blood on the forum and the addition of 3D printing will give us the ability to do stuff that we just couldn't reasonably do 10 years ago.

Time to get the old projects back out and have a bit of a re-think...........

20 hours ago, big F said:

The missiles packs are one part I have never had in any of the 30 or so 1/55 I own. 

So I will get round to printing these at some point.

I'm kinda glad that there is some action on the 1/55 section again, it alays was my favourite scale and subject for Macross.

May be some new blood on the forum and the addition of 3D printing will give us the ability to do stuff that we just couldn't reasonably do 10 years ago.

Time to get the old projects back out and have a bit of a re-think...........

Here's the Beta version:

AMM-1 STL files

Hopefully we can complete a library of parts that tend to disappear or break. :D

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, UN_MARINE said:

Version 1.0 is out in the wild!

Slight adjustments to the thinner parts, and the screw boss is more snug, so it will hold together even without the screw.

GU-11 v1.0

I just obtained a 1/55 "Jetfire" (late surprise birthday gift thanks to the stimulus paymet!) and will be looking into printing this at some point! Thank you so much for this; it really helps, and I hope you can develop the super / strike armor!

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I just obtained a 1/55 "Jetfire" (late surprise birthday gift thanks to the stimulus paymet!) and will be looking into printing this at some point! Thank you so much for this; it really helps, and I hope you can develop the super / strike armor!

That's great, congratulations on the "new" Jetfire! Happy to help. :D

I can definitely get up to a regular FAST pack set, just need to dig it out of storage.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:04 PM, UN_MARINE said:

Yes, a set of detailed pictures and measurements will do (preferably in metric).

Any help this project can get is highly appreciated! :D 

Although, I've seen an incomplete set of strike packs up close recently - it'll be a pretty involved job getting all the measurements.

I think the only unique armor parts are the backpack parts?

I'll need at least the complete beam cannon side of the booster unit, and a missile pod.

Sorry I completely missed this. I will see what I can fish out for you and do some test photos to see how they come out, got to get the lighting correct etc.

49 minutes ago, big F said:

Sorry I completely missed this. I will see what I can fish out for you and do some test photos to see how they come out, got to get the lighting correct etc.

No problem! No need to be fancy with the pics, as long as the shapes are visible, and can be cross-referenced with the measurements. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mech9T8 said:

Are you working on any other parts? Was looking for a first gen heat shield. Got a recast one a long time ago and would like another. 

I have an Origin of Valkyrie version of the heat shield.

I could give it a try, but the curved shape will be very tricky to model - flat surfaces are much easier to work with.

On 10/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, mech9T8 said:

I may get access to a scanner. If I do I’ll see what kind of model I can get. 

I picked up a structured light scanner recently. Has accuracy down to 0.1mm. Still trying to get everything dialed in, but here are the results of a quick test scan with the chestplate from a Jetfire. It's a fairly complex part with lots of panel lines, curves, sharp corners, and angles. Not too shabby. Should be able to improve the quality with additional time investment, additional scans, and more advanced data processing. And I'm not terribly concerned about crisp panel lines. I can always use a scriber to make them more clear on a printed version.

image.thumb.png.6e93fc977ae48650ea5621f5e27b1776.png

image.thumb.png.be90f9b6de2d7e15a57b3f5d0a1be30e.png