9 hours ago, Guyffon said:

Did anyone caught the battleships that were used in the sea fight scene, throughout the establishing shots you only see carriers and crusiers, then suddenly there is a battleship, I mean I though the US navy stopped using those already?

If you look closely, those were not battleships. They used a Arleigh Burke type hull and superstructure but with twin turrets up front.

Just watched the movie (I am in Asia). I expected crappy human characters and plot annnnd.... it was worse than I thought.

Compared to 2014, big G's atomic breath. In some scenes it looked way way more powerful. Wont spoil it any further.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

1 hour ago, tekering said:

And, regardless of how you feel about story, plot, or human characters, you can't deny how much more suited CGI is for kaiju than rubber suits or stop-motion ever were.

I mean, especially as the quality of the graphics improve, yeah, you can have more impressive visuals and the monsters can move in ways they couldn't before.  But I'm old.  I have a taste for the visual effects of the '80s and '90s, I guess.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I consider both Gareth Edward's Godzilla and Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla better than any previous films in the franchise

My wife hates it, but yeah, I really enjoyed Shin Godzilla.  I think Edward's Godzilla was just ok, though.  It loved the beginning, and I think it had some great ideas, but I thought the human side of the story was a bit off after Bryan Cranston's character died, and I had issues with the cinematography (mostly the tendency to zoom in too close to the monster fights to tell what was going on, cut to a human reaction, then cut back to the aftermath with hardly a glimpse at Godzilla).  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch it than, say, Ebirah: Horror of the Deep, but it wouldn't be the first Blu-ray I grab when I'm in a kaiju mood.  There's also the Hollywood factor.  Don't get me wrong, the Legendary films have been infinitely more respectful of the source material than the TriStar one, but they've still got a feel that's less Toho kaiju-eiga and more summer blockbuster.  Oh, and there's also the animated film trilogy that was ultimately pretty meh (I thought the first one was boring, the second one was getting interesting, but a lot of the threads they were starting to introduce that made the second one interesting never paid off in the third).  I guess all things considered I'm glad for the big G's resurgence, and I'd agree that the 2010's were better than the Showa and Millennium eras, but I'm ultimately still a Heisei fan at heart.

11 hours ago, Guyffon said:

Did anyone caught the battleships that were used in the sea fight scene, throughout the establishing shots you only see carriers and crusiers, then suddenly there is a battleship, I mean I though the US navy stopped using those already?

Outside of Godzilla 2014 I'm not expecting any realistic military vehicles in Godzilla films, lol. I'm still hoping we'll see Pacific Rim Jaegers team with Godzilla someday!! 

Edited by TangledThorns

16 minutes ago, Retracting Head Ter Ter said:

Realistic military vehicles. That shot of about 15 or so Ospreys and Chinooks or Stallions managing to lift Kong is plain ridiculous. 

The shot of two monsters that size fist fighting on the deck of an aircraft carrier without it capsizing or snapping in two is also plain ridiculous...

But it's also f'n cool!:lol:

On 3/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, Retracting Head Ter Ter said:

Realistic military vehicles. That shot of about 15 or so Ospreys and Chinooks or Stallions managing to lift Kong is plain ridiculous. 

That shot reminds me of how they transport Jaegers in pac rim

I watched it this morning and absolutely loved it! Definitely the best Legendary kaiju film yet, the fight scenes were frakking fantastic. This film had the best fights in all the Legendary films, but I'd go further and say it's some of the best kaiju action in a film period. The human stuff was still really stupid and pretty cringy, but I'd put it above KotM, which isn't saying much, so yeah. 

On to spoilers.

Spoiler

I liked there was a definitive winner, Godzilla won, period. Who expected anything else though? I also like that Godzilla just gave him a good thrashing, then split. It was established in KotM that Godzilla has some empathy, he doesn't outright kill all other titans, he just makes sure everyone knows he's boss. 

Also, we technically got Mecha Godzilla and Mecha Ghidorah. It was Mecha Godzilla when the humans controlled it, Mecha King G when they lost control and the old head from KotM took control.

I'm a little bummed we didn't get any other kaiju except the serpent things in the hollow Earth, I was hoping for a little cameo action or something but oh well, no Legendary Anguirus. 

I'll be bummed if this really is the end of the MonsterVerse, it really didn't last long and could've been much bigger, but yeah as mentioned by orders above, these films haven't really been the box office gold most people, and the studio execs, were hoping for.

4 hours ago, Retracting Head Ter Ter said:

That Godzilla shot which bored all the way to the Earth's core was seriously OP.

That shot reminded me of Shin Godzilla when we first see the atomic breath.

Without spoilers, how much is this movie on HBO Max?  We don't get that service up here in Canuckistan, but it IS on Amazon Prime for a $24.99 rental fee <_<  I'd really rather not pay that to rent a digital movie, but if it's comparable to HBO Max then I guess it makes sense...

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Without spoilers, how much is this movie on HBO Max?  We don't get that service up here in Canuckistan, but it IS on Amazon Prime for a $24.99 rental fee <_<  I'd really rather not pay that to rent a digital movie, but if it's comparable to HBO Max then I guess it makes sense...

It's free (no additional cost beyond the regular subscription (which is free if you already sub to HBO via your cable provider)) on HBO Max if that's what you're asking.

I agree the monster fight scenes were outright fantastic, but damn there were some gigantic TITAN sized plot holes in this one. And there's literally a super duper GI Joe and Cobra level secret lair in every city on every continent in these films lol.

King of the Monsters>Kong>Godzilla vs. Kong>Godzilla 

-b.

22 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

It's free (no additional cost beyond the regular subscription (which is free if you already sub to HBO via your cable provider)) on HBO Max if that's what you're asking.

Well, crap.  Then I'll not pay the $25 Amazon is asking for.  I can wait.

13 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

Well, crap.  Then I'll not pay the $25 Amazon is asking for.  I can wait.

Yeah, it was fun ride and all of that, but having seen it I would not pay $24.99 just for a rental. To buy it, even sight unseen, sure, but rent, nooooooppppe.

-b.

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Just finished watching it. It's good destructive fun!

15 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I watched it this morning and absolutely loved it! Definitely the best Legendary kaiju film yet, the fight scenes were frakking fantastic.

Okay, having watched it myself, I think you guys were trying to take me for an April's Fool. :angry:

I went in with low expectations, knowing it was a stupid premise to begin with, but... this went WAY beyond stupid. <_<

What a frustrating, aggravating experience.

11 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Yeah, it was fun ride and all of that, but having seen it I would not pay $24.99 just for a rental. To buy it, even sight unseen, sure, but rent, nooooooppppe.

-b.

I'd pay to see it in the theater if I couldn't stream it on HBO MAX. That being said, kudos to HBO for not being dicks and charging extra like Disney is doing.

Kinda spoiler-ish but I did miss the other monsters from KOTM in GvK, especially Rodan. That being said I think Rodan does deserve it's own film. The original had scares and a tragic ending.

Edited by TangledThorns
rodan

8 hours ago, tekering said:

Okay, having watched it myself, I think you guys were trying to take me for an April's Fool. :angry:

I went in with low expectations, knowing it was a stupid premise to begin with, but... this went WAY beyond stupid. <_<

What a frustrating, aggravating experience.

Nope, not playing anyone, I really thoroughly enjoyed this film, it's definitely one of my favorite kaiju films ever. I'm bummed we apparently won't be getting anymore MonsterVerse films, seems they had plenty of room to stretch. We could've gotten Rodan, a Mothra film, War of the Gargantuas would've been an interesting film to reboot. 

14 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

I loved the hell out of it personally. It's a Godzilla movie, not high cinema.

Yeah, I think Godzilla 2014 is somewhat high cinema and could have been much better with better utilization of Bryan Cranston. Plus Godzilla looked and moved much better in that film, the following films were kinda cartoonish.

I will say KONG: Skull Island was the best made of the Monsterverse films. Had the right balance of action, filming and good characters. KOTM had potential but most of the scenes were too damn dark. 

Overall, the Monstervese is still better than the Japanese films. USA! USA! USA!

Meh. I was my least favorite of the Legendary Godzilla movies. Too much Kong, not enough Godzilla. Plus, yeah, I get wanting to turn your brain off and just watch some giant monsters slug it out, but a lot of the movie was just stupid.

Here's hoping Toho gets around to making a new, proper Godzilla film.

tl;dr - Should have been better.

Spoiler

I've been trying to marshal my thoughts on this movie since Wednesday night, and one thing that keeps coming back is the thought that man, they REALLY had no idea what to do with Kong. He doesn't have the deep mythos that can only be built up over generations of wildly dissonant movies like Godzilla does, sure. But even in his one outing prior to this movie, they managed to work in enough of a relevant background to give the movie some good tension, to keep you invested the whole time.

Here... Every single detail about him aside from fighting Godzilla felt so pointless. They devoted so much screen time and narrative effort into expanding him in ways that just made me less and less interested in him. They both went too far and yet didn't go far enough in making up lore for him. I could have done without the girl or the sign language, like he's some supersized Koko; that's been played out in every other giant ape movie ever, it's old, it's boring. I could have done without the axe or shrine, too, BUT I feel there were any number of ways of presenting those that would have seemed not so... stupid. He's also the most overtly "human" as he's ever been, from mannerisms to framing, and it really does not work. I think they took the wrong lessons from Peter Jackson's King Kong, which did some of the same things but much more successfully by remembering that Kong, empathetic as he might be, is a wild animal, NOT a human.

The fights were great at their very best, but averaged more around "middle of the road" territory IMO. Mecha-G's reveal and the lead-up to the final fight was underwhelming, but once it finally got going it was pretty good stuff, dumb Kong stuff aside. Kudos to them for bluntly showing that Godzilla would and does trounce Kong in a straight up fight. No ambiguity about it. That's not to say that they COULDN'T have been ambiguous, just that I wouldn't trust this crew to do so elegantly the way the original Japanese movie does.

There's a lot of wasted potential here, which is disappointing. It's hardly the worst kaiju movie, but still.

Edited by kajnrig

If there was to be one more Monsterverse film it should be a Son of Godzilla where Godzilla dies saving the world and his ultra-cute son from some bad ass monster. The young Godzilla could make merchandising bank like 'baby Yoda' did and then evolve him into a anime series. 

But that's just me and my Godzilla dreams, lol.

Watched it.  The fights were okay-ish, but the best ones were in the trailers already.  The rest was just filler, which I DID expect.  At least there wasn't a pointless romance tacked on for the humans.

I'm a bit disappointed with how Kong fought.  I was hoping more of his agility and ability to outmanouver Godzilla would come into play more than it did.  Big G has some decent judo skills for having such stubby little limbs, too.

It's better than KotM, but that wasn't hard.  Godzilla 2014 still is at the top of my G-movie list.