13 hours ago, sqidd said:

Between the last movie being over people'd and therefore rather disappointing and what I'm seeing out of this one so far I don't have high hopes. I really want to have high hopes. Godzilla means a lot to me. I used to watch it with my Mom when I was a little kid and my Mom and I have seen all of the modern movies together too. If the quality drops much more than the last movie it's going to be a real blow to tradition for me and my Mom.

Oh zero arguments about the humans in KotM, Godzilla films have always had human moments in between the kaiju action, and it's always cringy and stupid, but KotM went above and beyond that. The entire plot only moved forward because the humans made, not just stupid decisions, but the stupidest decisions ever in a Godzilla film, showa era Toho Godzilla included, it was beyond terrible. 

I plan on watching this for the spectacle alone, King Kong vs Godzilla was my most watched Godzilla VHS tape, I've been dreaming about this film since G2014 and Skull Island. I fully expect more awful human moments, which is a bummer, but at least I won't go in disappointed on that front, I just want some expensive Kong vs Godzilla CG action.

Also, MechaGodzilla confirmed.

8 hours ago, sqidd said:

Are you making the two wrongs make a right argument?:p

No, but you’ve blamed “Hollyweird” for a decision that the Japanese film makers originally decided to do before as well.  This mash-up is not a modern idea.

Not to mention you aren’t happy with scaling issues, which are just as prevalent in the older films as well.

17 hours ago, sqidd said:

One point about Ghidorah and the MUTO taking the atomic breath. We don't have a understanding of their biology, specifically their skin, and their defense against atomic breath. Kong is a big Gorilla. I would assume that he has the skin of a big gorilla. Not a good defense against fire. Let alone atomic breath.

Physically impossible for Kong to be a Big Gorilla with no other changes.  Primates like us can only get so large before they literally fall apart due to gravity.  Kong is well past that point.   Putting any kind of science into giant monster movies is a bad path to go of course.

On 09/03/2020 at 12:19 PM, peter said:

In a fight between King Kong and Godzilla, I'd think Godzilla would win.....easily.  It's not a matter of favourites, I'm just looking at the defensive capabilities of each animal.

King Kong is covered in fur, which is potentially flammable.  Underneath that fur is just skin like any other mammal, albeit thicker at that size, but probably more prone to puncture than Godzilla's reptilian based skin.

Even if Godzilla decides to play fair and not torch King Kong from a kilometer away, it seems likely that Godzilla should be able to fairly easily chomp through Kong Kong's fleshy skin.  Just imagine a large salt water croc versus a silverback.

Of course, this being a movie, they'll probably end the movie on a draw or have the two team up against another foe to ensure they don't piss off either fan base. 

Ok, I said before that Godzilla, a hard shelled reptilian with atomic breathe should be able to torch a fleshy mammal covered in flammable fur but since King Kong is going to be wielding Mjolnir, that changes everything.

14 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I do have a gripe about SFX for GvK and KOTM where they just don't look as good as the first Godzilla film. While its cool I just don't get that same sense of scale like we did in the first film.

I know what you mean by sense of scale. 

There were a lot of zoomed in close ups of Godzilla with vehicles and people for reference, but in the later films, you sort of lose that sense of scale because it's just Godzilla up against buildings or other giant creatures.

But what really gets me about these films is the humans in it.  30 rounds of 5.56 with the rifle set on fun is like watching a flea try to have sex with an elephant.  Instead, it might be better to quietly flip the selector to safe, and open fresh pack of crayons instead.

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling

8 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Physically impossible for Kong to be a Big Gorilla with no other changes.  Primates like us can only get so large before they literally fall apart due to gravity.  Kong is well past that point.   Putting any kind of science into giant monster movies is a bad path to go of course.

I mean, the same thing applies to Godzilla. He's way too big to be a functional biological organism as shown. But it is fun, so we don't care.

10 hours ago, peter said:

Ok, I said before that Godzilla, a hard shelled reptilian with atomic breathe should be able to torch a fleshy mammal covered in flammable fur but since King Kong is going to be wielding Mjolnir, that changes everything.

Just spit out my water reading this :lol: :lol: :lol:

-b.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, tekering said:

That seems a rather minor issue to concern yourselves with, compared to the scale issue with Kong (who was barely a hundred feet tall in Kong: Skull Island)...  :unsure:

Kong hit puberty and had a growth spurt in the 70's.  He kinda wasted the 80's though, but now he's really hitting his stride.

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

I mean, the same thing applies to Godzilla. He's way too big to be a functional biological organism as shown. But it is fun, so we don't care.

I don't remember anyone saying Godzilla was just a reptile and would have reptile strong skin though.  And if we want to talk about atomic breath all dogs have it so there is that.

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

He's way too big to be a functional biological organism as shown.

Aww, screw the physics; that's not the problem.  These films never make any logical sense anyway.

I'm just bummed my Legendary Kong no longer scales with my Legendary Godzilla. :cray:

old_scale.jpg

On 1/24/2021 at 12:34 PM, Tking22 said:

I'm excited to see the eventual Monsterarts Kong figure.

Aaaaaaaaand my wish is granted. These both look fantastic, I really don't need another Legendary Godzilla, I have G2014 and KotM Godzilla, but I'm a Godzilla fanboy so I'll be buying this one too. 

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

On 1/25/2021 at 2:18 AM, sqidd said:

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Too many humans....with stories. I DON"T CARE!

And in what universe would Kong stand a chance vs Godzilla????? Let's be real. Godzilla would turn Kong into a pile of ash from a mile away, turn around, and wander back into the ocean. This is just as dumb as Batman v Superman. Superman flies at mach 10 into Batman and turns him into vapor. Movie over. This is the only Godzilla movie I will not be watching. Thanks for ruining another great IP Holyweird.

To be fair, the last one wasn't that great either.

I'm disappointed. Godzilla is one of my favorite IP's.

1. Yup, I want to see supersized monsters fight it out. And the entire US Defense Catalogue being thrown at them and kinda bouncing off. Teenage angst, marital issues and family problems, I AM NOT INTERESTED.

2. Yes, if we follow previous movie lore and logic. Kong really has ZERO chance.

a. Lets _ignore_ the atomic breath and the nuclear blast thingy from 2019 KOTM(that's a one time thing, fair nuff), Leave them out. Kong still has realistic biological limits thus far, he dies if you chuck him off a tall enough place, he bleeds from dinosaur bites** and human artillery and guns, some sort of gas seems to knock him out (hell can you imagine Godzilla in chains??) etc etc. Godzilla seems to have taken missiles and large calibre shells without any issue.

b. Ignore the radiation protection of Godzilla. Sure he doesnt have a nuke to throw at Kong. But while radiation need not be taken into consideration in this fight, the point that doesn't seem to get into peoples' heads (or movie logic) is that a nuke doesn't just chuck out radiation and a fireball and lots of heat. It comes with a big ass concussive blast of kinetic energy too. If Godzilla's face could withstand the kinetic energy (KE is KE, doesn't matter if its from a nuke or a Gorilla's fist) from that nuke going off 10 feet away, Kong's best roundhouse aint gonna bruise him.  

3. Sadly, its Hollywood. So I am resigned to having to put up with teenage angst and rebel kid human relationship issues and plot-armor-weakness-Godzilla plus Stormbreaker Kong. Its gonna be A-Wing/Rebel Fleet vs the Executor all over again. GAWDAMMIT.

** Can anyone imagine an adolescent/young Godzilla having a fight with a same sized T-Rex like dinosaur? That isnt even a match. Wait, no dino could even be that dumb to try.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

On 12/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, sqidd said:

I felt exactly the same way. They had what, four main monsters? And I'm spending most of the movie watching/listening to unlikeable humans?

MOAR monster!

I do have to say, surprisingly, I found the human parts in Shin Gojira pretty acceptable. 

Except that part where they don't allow the gunships to fire because 2 civilians a few blocks away. WTF.

Netflix just announced a SKULL ISLAND anime series. Should be interesting. I enjoyed the Godzilla animated series from the 1970s and 90s but the recent trilogy was lacking in good monster action.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/skull-island-and-tomb-raider-universes-are-expanding-at-netflix-with-two-all

Edited by TangledThorns

18 hours ago, Retracting Head Ter Ter said:

I do have to say, surprisingly, I found the human parts in Shin Gojira pretty acceptable. 

Except that part where they don't allow the gunships to fire because 2 civilians a few blocks away. WTF.

I still haven't watched Shin Godzilla, but I did see a few scenes here and there.

His second form is pretty unsettling, lol!

In this new film, I hope they do a blooper reel or something where King Kong is trying to shove a tree down Godzilla's throat, lol!Screenshot_20210127_172335_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.321b9a3a46e3fb9748cf3d9031c4a50a.jpg

On 1/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, tekering said:

I'm just bummed my Legendary Kong no longer scales with my Legendary Godzilla. :cray:

At that scale, Godzilla would be a bad ass mount for Kong to be riding around on. Imagine the astronauts coming back to earth and finding THAT instead of Gorillaz riding horses.. Talk about planet of the Apes, it would be planet Kong :p

Aaaaaaaaand my wish is granted. These both look fantastic, I really don't need another Legendary Godzilla, I have G2014 and KotM Godzilla, but I'm a Godzilla fanboy so I'll be buying this one too. 

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hmm.  These pics make Mjolnir-lite look like one of Godzilla's back spines, which would explain why it's resistant to his atomic breath. :D

6 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

Hmm.  These pics make Mjolnir-lite look like one of Godzilla's back spines, which would explain why it's resistant to his atomic breath. :D

Oh it's definitely made from Godzilla dorsal fins/plates, which is pretty awesome. The big question is if he fastens this himself in the movie from an encounter with Godzilla, or if he finds it on Skull Island, left by one of his ancestors from the apparently age old Godzilla-Kong rivalry.

8 hours ago, peter said:

I still haven't watched Shin Godzilla, but I did see a few scenes here and there.

His second form is pretty unsettling, lol!

In this new film, I hope they do a blooper reel or something where King Kong is trying to shove a tree down Godzilla's throat, lol!Screenshot_20210127_172335_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.321b9a3a46e3fb9748cf3d9031c4a50a.jpg

Yes the 2nd form with the googly eyes look pretty retarded and seemed like a throwback to the earlier rubber suit era (maybe deliberate?),

But in any case, go and watch it please. I would say that the production values are much higher and slick than any of the preceding Toho films by a long mile. I came away surprisingly satisfied. Its definitely my favourite Toho Godzilla film.

Having B2s throw MOPs at Godzilla is a pure bonus for me. They bothered to keep the military hardware realistic. e.g. no B2 using MOABs, F2's firing HARM missiles or sidewinders at Godzilla etc.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

4 hours ago, Retracting Head Ter Ter said:

I would say that the production values are much higher and slick than any of the preceding Toho films by a long mile. I came away surprisingly satisfied. Its definitely my favourite Toho Godzilla film.

I have to agree.  While most of the Showa films are broad comedies (especially the original King Kong vs. Godzilla), Shin Godzilla is the only po-faced satire.  Like all of Hideaki Anno's films, it's highly critical of institutional authority, societal values, and the common tropes of Japanese sci-fi... but unlike the nihilistic Evangelion, he genuinely seems to be enjoying himself making fun of the Japanese government.  Far from merely providing exposition, or forced intrigue, or pulp drama, the humans-talking-around-a-table scenes serve a strong, consistent thematic purpose (although the satirical intent may be somewhat lost on foreign audiences).  A Godzilla film with an intelligent message is a rare thing indeed. :good:

It suffers from a lot of problems that are endemic to Japanese sci-fi (paper-thin characters, poor pacing, awkwardly-delivered English dialogue), but the effects work is leaps and bounds beyond anything else in the genre... even when there are no kaiju to be seen.

Shin_Godzilla_devastation.jpg

Edited by tekering

8 hours ago, tekering said:

but unlike the nihilistic Evangelion,

What I find genius about Evangelion is that it's either nihilistic, uplifting or strangely both, depending on your perspective, life experience and or cultural background.

I'm on my second time through right now trying to figure out where I land.

What I find genius about Evangelion is that it's either nihilistic, uplifting or strangely both, depending on your perspective, life experience and or cultural background.

I'm on my second time through right now trying to figure out where I land.

I was absolutely hooked on Eva when it first came out in '97/'98, but recently I tried to rewatch it and the Rebuild series but just didn't enjoy it.  I still love the first half, where it seemed to be poking fun at other Giant Robot animes, but from about the middle of the series and all of the movies it just wasn't fun for me.

The Rebuild series is very pretty, though.  So that's a plus.

• 2 weeks later...