I saw the last one in IMAX and wasn’t super impressed. I think that mothra looked great though. My problem was that it kinda felt like torture having to watch those horrible human scenes. I don’t think that there’s any way they could have a worse plot or have that level of unlike able characters again. 

14 hours ago, Big s said:

I saw the last one in IMAX and wasn’t super impressed. I think that mothra looked great though. My problem was that it kinda felt like torture having to watch those horrible human scenes. I don’t think that there’s any way they could have a worse plot or have that level of unlike able characters again. 

I felt exactly the same way. They had what, four main monsters? And I'm spending most of the movie watching/listening to unlikeable humans?

MOAR monster!

15 hours ago, Big s said:

My problem was that it kinda felt like torture having to watch those horrible human scenes. I don’t think that there’s any way they could have a worse plot or have that level of unlike able characters again. 

Sure it could be worse.  Just look at any of Michael Bay's Transformers films.  <_<

40 minutes ago, sqidd said:

They had what, four main monsters? And I'm spending most of the movie watching/listening to unlikeable humans?

Waiting for Godzilla to show up in a Godzilla movie is just like waiting for the Transformers to show up in a Transformers movie, isn't it?  :unsure:

I just hope Godzilla vs. Kong isn't as po-faced as King of the Monsters was.  Toho knew it was a stupid concept way back in '62, and had the common sense to treat it like the goofy comedy it was...

On 12/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, Tking22 said:

I absolutely loved King of the Monsters, but I'm a massive Godzilla fanboy so every Godzilla movie is fantastic. I'm excited, I need me some King King vs Godzilla reboot action. Also, S.H. MonsterArts when? 

Same here! I know it wasn’t objectively a great film but I still enjoyed it very much. 

I hope Godzilla beats that ape into oblivion! Would be cool if the fight went something like this:

I didn’t like the humans in the transformers movies, but I didn’t feel pure hatred for them like the last Godzilla. And although the plots were pretty dumb, they were still better than king of monsters. But I’m only judging the first couple transformers movies. I still haven’t seen the rest. I have seen other Michael Bay films, like the bad boys movies and compared to who ever handled king of monsters makes Bay look like Shakespeare.

• 2 months later...

The Godzilla figures in the SH Monsterarts line get some discussion in the SH Figuarts/D-Arts/Monsterarts thread, but doesn't look like there's much discussion of the NECA stuff (although there's plenty of discussion on their Aliens and Predator stuff).  So I decided to look for a Godzilla thread, and I found one for this movie, the 2019 KotM film, the 2014 Legendary film, two for Shin Godzilla, one for Final Wars, and even one for Godzilla 1985/The Return of Godzilla.  Just a thought, but maybe we should just have one Godzilla superthread?

Anyway, I was at Target yesterday and I saw they have some new NECA Godzilla releases.  Unlike the blister packages they used to have at Target these ones are in nicer window boxes, with movie poster cover flap.  I picked up the last remaining Shin Godzilla, and I gotta say that I'm pretty pleased with it.  Now, this is the only NECA Godzilla figure I own, and I can't directly compare it to an SH Monsterarts Shin Godzilla.  The only SH Monsterarts figure I have is the 2019 KotM version.  And here's the thing, I think the articulation, the sculpt, and the paint are definitely better on the SH Monsterarts figure.  But the NECA Godzilla figures look like they're under $25, and SH Monsterarts look like they usually retail for over $70.  While I think the SH Monsterarts are probably worth a premium over a NECA figure, I don't think (for me at least) they're really worth triple.  So I think I might sell my SH Monsterarts 2019 Godzilla and pick up a few more NECAs.  I think right now my biggest complaint with the NECA line is that while they have several different Godzillas and some of the other monsters from KotM they don't have more of the Toho Kaiju.  I'd love to have all three Mechagodzillas, Space Godzilla, a '90s King Ghidorah and Mecha King Ghidorah, '90s Mothra, '72 Gigan, and '04 Gigan at the minimum.

IMG_20200308_151350.thumb.jpg.c2c9f71a2b9e0f4af5e761fffa7ec89f.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

Had anyone tried any of the Bandai Godzilla Monster Movie series of vinyl figures?  They don't look like they have a ton of articulation, but they seem reasonably detailed and around the same size and price as the NECA stuff.  Since NECA doesn't seem to be interested in doing any Godzilla figures that aren't Godzilla I'm wondering if these Bandai figures might do for a display, since it seems like they have most of the kaiju I want.

In a fight between King Kong and Godzilla, I'd think Godzilla would win.....easily.  It's not a matter of favourites, I'm just looking at the defensive capabilities of each animal.

King Kong is covered in fur, which is potentially flammable.  Underneath that fur is just skin like any other mammal, albeit thicker at that size, but probably more prone to puncture than Godzilla's reptilian based skin.

Even if Godzilla decides to play fair and not torch King Kong from a kilometer away, it seems likely that Godzilla should be able to fairly easily chomp through Kong Kong's fleshy skin.  Just imagine a large salt water croc versus a silverback.

Of course, this being a movie, they'll probably end the movie on a draw or have the two team up against another foe to ensure they don't piss off either fan base. 

18 minutes ago, peter said:

Of course, this being a movie, they'll probably end the movie on a draw or have the two team up against another foe to ensure they don't piss off either fan base. 

Which is what they had to do in the original.  The physics of Kong and Godzilla are fantasy at best as well so any assumption goes.  Neither one could physically exist strictly based on physical laws as we know them.

56 minutes ago, peter said:

This is literally exactly what happens, it leaked a while back, they fight the World Serpent, or something like that, after fighting each other a little bit. Plus, MechaGodzilla apparently. 

Sort of like what they did with Batman vs Superman.  They punch each other out for a bit then team out against a common enemy.

Oh well, I'll probably still go watch it.

I still kind of want to see Pacific Rim get thrown into the universe.

1 hour ago, peter said:

Sort of like what they did with Batman vs Superman.  They punch each other out for a bit then team out against a common enemy.

Oh well, I'll probably still go watch it.

I still kind of want to see Pacific Rim get thrown into the universe.

Oh I am absolutely in to see it as well, extremely hyped honestly, but I'm a Godzilla fanboy so I'm in for literally anything involving the Big G. I remember growing up I wore out three copies of King Kong V Godzilla on VHS, I loved that movie in particular, so cheesy, but so awesome. 

Given that Godzilla and Kong are both 'good guys' among the kaiju clan, it seems inevitable that the two would cease hostilities and team up against the baddies. The premise of the two of them exchanging a few blows is fun, though. Referring to the aforementioned Kong's weaknesses compared to Big G's strengths, I figure they'll capitalize on Kong's superior agility and the fact that he can pick up a large structure and wield it like a baseball bat to help him avoid Godzilla's atomic breath and land a blow or two before going all Riggs and Murtaugh on the bad guys.

I've done zero reading up on this movie, but based on the comments above, the mention of Mecha-Godzilla making an appearance suddenly makes this a much more exciting film. I'm really curious to see how they update the old design and pit it against Godzilla and Co. Plus, everything is better with mecha in it.

And regardless of the placement or severity of bodily injury, there must be copious oral bleeding amongst the human(oid)s. Big yes to sunglasses wearing alien, yet suspiciously human looking, dudes controlling MG.  No other genre of movie, except parody, gives such license to employ liberal cheese. Some advantage must be taken.

15 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I've done zero reading up on this movie, but based on the comments above, the mention of Mecha-Godzilla making an appearance suddenly makes this a much more exciting film. I'm really curious to see how they update the old design and pit it against Godzilla and Co. Plus, everything is better with mecha in it.

I hope the design is much better than the anime Mecha G. Kiryu is hands down one of the nicer mecha designs for me.

Edited by eXis10z

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Well, if MechaG shows up the "Aliens Wearing Sunglasses" gang has to show up too or I'll be disappointed.

I can't help but wonder if this was hinted at in King of the Monsters. The main bad guy, the Jonah character seemed to have an overly irrational hatred of humanity that goes beyond just his experiences as a mercenary and his obsession with Ghidorah through the film always struck me as odd.

The thing that really stands out for me though  is the scene in the elevator where he's rubbing his eye as the girl watches him. It seems off to me. Like he does it for a little too long like his skin isn't fitting right. The reaction when he realizes she's staring at him is odd too. He pauses, his expression goes blank, and then after another pause he smiles and makes a face at her.

Maybe it's me reading too much into it, but who knows? :P

I got an idea!  Maybe the Slitheen from Doctor Who could be the aliens.  That talk about the skin not fitting right gave me the idea.  It would also allow them to include lots of fart jokes and everyone loves fart jokes.

OK, I have to admit I most likely will not be seeing this till it comes out on video and most likely not even then.  If they ever remake the Smog Monster I'm going to have my keester in the theater for that one though!

I got the NECA Godzilla 2019 today.  Unlike Shin Godzilla, this time I do have the SH Monsterarts version to compare directly with, and I think it's cemented my opinion.  There's no arguing that the SH Monsterarts figure has a moderately better sculpt, better paint (especially around the claws, teeth, and eyes), and better articulation.  However, I don't personally feel like the improvements are worth triple the price.  I decided to sell the SH Monsterarts version.  If anyone wants it I'm going to ask $65 shipped in the continental US, just send me a PM or after a couple days I'll stick it on ebay.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

So Godzilla shrunk to fit on an Aircraft Carrier without sinking it?  Maybe they will turn it into a log rolling contest?

Why wouldn't he fit?  Assuming he didn't grow since KotM Godzilla is supposed to be a little under 400 feet tall, or a little over 580 feet long from his head to the tip of his tail.  A Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is nearly twice as long.  He wouldn't have a lot room to move from side-to-side, but he'd fit on the deck.

I guess, as you've kind of touched on, the question is how much does Godzilla weigh and how much weight can a carrier take on before it sinks.  And that I just don't know.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Why wouldn't he fit?  Assuming he didn't grow since KotM Godzilla is supposed to be a little under 400 feet tall, or a little over 580 feet long from his head to the tip of his tail.  A Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is nearly twice as long.

That seems a rather minor issue to concern yourselves with, compared to the scale issue with Kong (who was barely a hundred feet tall in Kong: Skull Island)...  :unsure: