Robocop Returns

sh9000

On 8/26/2020 at 7:47 AM, Black Valkyrie said:

It drives me nuts when someone does a figure so obviously nice.......but too small. Come on guys. 10-12" is the sweet spot for high end figures. I'd gladly pay $100 more if it came in that big. I'm not going to buy this at all. Which is a bummer because I have been wishing for a metal Robocop and Terminator since day one.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

It drives me nuts when someone does a figure so obviously nice.......but too small.

Yeah, ¥12,500 is hard to swallow when the larger NECA figure retailed for $25... and considering MAFEX and Figma also produced RoboCop figures at the same scale, you'd think Hagane Works would price their products more competitively.  :unsure:

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

I have been wishing for a metal Robocop and Terminator since day one.

A Hagane Works T-800 endoskeleton would be a much more tempting purchase...!

He doesn't have to be old.  Body double for the physical stuff, Deepfake for the face, get Weller to dub the voice....all good.

That Deepfake tech still blows my mind.  When it's done right, it looks amazing, even better than studio stuff.

3 hours ago, peter said:

He doesn't have to be old.  Body double for the physical stuff, Deepfake for the face, get Weller to dub the voice....all good.

That Deepfake tech still blows my mind.  When it's done right, it looks amazing, even better than studio stuff.

I'm loving this story-line.

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Is that the zillion $$$ 1/2 scale unit?

No, Hagane Works is the company soliciting the new 1:14 zinc-alloy RoboCop figure (and ED-209 model kit) we're discussing.

There's been no mention of a Terminator figure from them, but your suggestion was an excellent one.  :D

1 hour ago, tekering said:

No, Hagane Works is the company soliciting the new 1:14 zinc-alloy RoboCop figure (and ED-209 model kit) we're discussing.

There's been no mention of a Terminator figure from them, but your suggestion was an excellent one.  :D

Oops, brain fade.:p

I did get looking at the Hot Toys Robocop last night. That has a lot of metal and is 1/6 scale. So sized well. I'm going to keep an eye out for that.

I'd LOVE to have a metal Terminator. This is the 1/2 scale unit. They go for more than that on the secondary market. For me personally I think 1/2 scale is either too big or too small. If it's going to take up that much room may well have one that is 1/1 like this one. Which I WILL NOT BE GETTING!:rofl:

Fingers crossed on something 12-18" tall.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:30 AM, peter said:

He recently voiced Murphy/Robocop in Mortal Kombat 11; he sounded pretty good to me:

• 8 months later...

Part of what made the origional Robo Cop so great was the black humor and satire...aspects lessened in the sequel and totally lost in III and the reboot.  It's the reason, in my opinion, movies like Robo Cop, Starship Troopers, Big Trouble in Little China and Tropic Thunder the are considered the classics they are to begin with.  They all seem shallow until you dig deeper, which makes their comedy that much more biting and hilarious.  To be honest, I don't even think you COULD make a movie like that in today's world.  That script and anybody involved in its creation would be burned and buried with damnatio memoriae returning, only renamed as "Cancelled".  It's unfortunate and I doubt I'll pay to watch any reboot or sequel that doesn't include those aspects.

There's nothing stopping you from making Robocop today other than the fact that most of its identity, settling, jokes, etc are all very firmly rooted in '80s culture. The fears of a Japanese take over of American companies, the corporate culture and rampant consumption of consumer culture, etc. The remake was better for not trying to be a 1:1 recreation and instead trying to speak to similar issues in modern society. If anything the co-ed locker/shower scenes wouldn't be in the movie just because that was itself another of those '80s movie things that just doesn't really happen much anymore. Nothing about whatever goofy culture war thing you're trying to imply it is.

15 hours ago, Big s said:

I think the odd issue would be coed locker room and shower scenes. Is it sexist, or woke? 

If you have full frontal nudity for men and women it is woke(*).  If it is only top up for both sexes it is sexist.

(*) - And I don't know if that alone would get it an X rating these days.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Big s said:

The co Ed shower was in Starship Troopers, so it did go beyond the 80’s. Anyway it was more of a cheesy joke than a serious question.

There was a "co-ed" locker room scene in Robocop near the beginning, when Murphy is gearing up and Sgt. Reid has to come take down Fredrickson's name tag from the locker (around 1:23 to 1:28):

(note: video not particularly safe for work; put it into spoiler)-

Spoiler

Edited by pengbuzz

The coed thing seems to be a real trend in Verhoeven films and it’s hard to say if he was being sexist by just needing an excuse to show some boobs or if he truly felt that people in the future just wouldn’t care anymore. Although I’m pretty sure he just needed the excuse to have an actress topless on set.

It (topless nudity) was a big thing at the time. Even John Ritter's "The Man who Loved Women" which was otherwise a PG comedy had a single topless scene.  It was a quick way to get an R rating (which was "in" at the time) while still being able to jettison it for a TV release later.

Posted (edited)

I think he was just envisioning a future where, either, people were adult enough to not ogle or crack jokes, or the times were just too stressful to care about nudity either way. To go a little deeper, we see a police dept suffering cutbacks and shortages, and maybe they just couldn't afford a large enough precinct for both more jail cells and an extra locker room.

Edited by Thom