1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

HBO better hope more GoT fans are not like me.  I watched every episode when it aired - but I don't really care if this gets made or not.

Kind of the same here. Feels like its time has passed. 

Chris

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

If Game of Thrones hadn't tanked in its final season this would be a license to print money... but now?  This feels like a big risk for very little reward.

I'll definitely check this out but I'm going in expecting very little. Honestly, after the final season crap the bed I'm pretty baffled ANY spin-off series, let alone several, are even still happening. 

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If Game of Thrones hadn't tanked in its final season this would be a license to print money... but now?  This feels like a big risk for very little reward.

The show was great just up to those last few episodes, among the best TV out there for several years...I am willing to give them another shot at making a show that sticks the landing....plus this should have dragons from the start, right?

However, others may not be so forgiving and may rightfully be thinking that the shark has already been jumped

21 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The show was great just up to those last few episodes, among the best TV out there for several years...I am willing to give them another shot at making a show that sticks the landing....plus this should have dragons from the start, right?

However, others may not be so forgiving and may rightfully be thinking that the shark has already been jumped

The problem is that the instant they ran out of book material the show instantly went downhill.  With no book material to work with at all on this series...

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

The problem is that the instant they ran out of book material the show instantly went downhill.  With no book material to work with at all on this series...

Agreed.  However, how much creative control did RR Martin have?  If none or very little...then if they continue that on the new show then it is doomed to repeat...if RR Martin agreed with what they did on the last season, then I guess any show based on his work may end up the same

From what I heard he had none or practically none.  He did send some notes on things that had not yet been written about in the books (Hold the Door) but that is not the same thing as a finished work to draw from.  I'll also be a bit heretical and claim that the later books were going downhill as well.  The last one he finished was a snooze fest.

• 4 months later...

The last season really killed it for me as fan, and I'll be honest, I don't think I went into that trailer with a clear head.

I don't think I was impressed or excited by this trailer, it didn't spark any joy, and I'm trying really hard to figure out if that was just my personal bias or not.

Anyone else feel the same?

51 minutes ago, peter said:

The last season really killed it for me as fan, and I'll be honest, I don't think I went into that trailer with a clear head.

I don't think I was impressed or excited by this trailer, it didn't spark any joy, and I'm trying really hard to figure out if that was just my personal bias or not.

Anyone else feel the same?

How did you feel about Star Wars after the Sequels?  How do you feel about Star Wars now even after The Mandalorian?  If not as enthusiastic anymore...then you are suffering from well-deserved franchise burnout...it will take time to rebuild the brand...for some it will never be recovered...

But if Star Wars can comeback after the Sequels, there is no reason the GoT franchise can't as well and deliver a decent show....to be honest...it was just the way it all ended for GoT that "ruined" it...it was great for all the previous seasons...Besides, as long as I have a paid subscription and HBO keeps releasing movies at home at the same time as theatres....I have no reason not to watch House of the Dragon....

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

How did you feel about Star Wars after the Sequels?  How do you feel about Star Wars now even after The Mandalorian?  If not as enthusiastic anymore...then you are suffering from well-deserved franchise burnout...it will take time to rebuild the brand...for some it will never be recovered...

But if Star Wars can comeback after the Sequels, there is no reason the GoT franchise can't as well and deliver a decent show....to be honest...it was just the way it all ended for GoT that "ruined" it...it was great for all the previous seasons...Besides, as long as I have a paid subscription and HBO keeps releasing movies at home at the same time as theatres....I have no reason not to watch House of the Dragon....

Hmm..... Interesting. 

The Sequel trilogy nearly killed it for me with SW.... Mando was awesome so it brought me back again and the new anime series is a + in my book.  I'm glad there is a bit of a breather until the next season of Mando though. 

Yeah, I really, really liked GOT right up until the last season, so I would probably still like it if I went back to watch those seasons. 

Maybe I just have my head in other things at the moment, but that trailer didn't get me back in.

Maybe the next trailer will show something a bit more interesting for me? 

1 minute ago, peter said:

Hmm..... Interesting. 

The Sequel trilogy nearly killed it for me with SW.... Mando was awesome so it brought me back again and the new anime series is a + in my book.  I'm glad there is a bit of a breather until the next season of Mando though. 

Yeah, I really, really liked GOT right up until the last season, so I would probably still like it if I went back to watch those seasons. 

Maybe I just have my head in other things at the moment, but that trailer didn't get me back in.

Maybe the next trailer will show something a bit more interesting for me? 

Yeah...I dunno..like maybe friggin' dragons? :lol:

The analogy I like to use for GOT is this:

GOT is like a fantastic whirlwind love affair that went on for 6 years. The 7th year was a little off and in retrospect you should have seen what was going on. 8yrs in you find out that this smokin hot woman that you are madly in love with has been cheating on you for two years. With the dumb kid that works at Starbucks. No matter how good the first 6-7yrs were you can't see or feel that anymore. It was ruined.

On the subject of Star Wars.......I was never as invested as I was in GOT so I didn't feel the betrayal when the movies took a big steamy dump..........Remember when the prequels were thought of as the bad ones?:rofl:

Edited by sqidd

• 6 months later...

Will reserve my opinion until I see a few episodes, but the trailer did make me nostalgic for GoT, something I haven't felt since the series ended.

How just two abbreviated seasons could taint the legacy of such a phenomenon in the way that they did still blows my mind.

-b.