Just finished episode 2 and it is definitely bringing back vibes from when I read the trade paperback almost 20 years ago.

Enjoying quite a bit. 

Will I enjoy it more than Umbrella Academy or The Boys, hard to tell.

A thought occurs to me: if we never had the original Watchmen, I doubt we'd have had either of those fine series, or perhaps even a great film The Incredibles.

The theory mill is running wild with this series, even as someone who read the original comic, it's hard to figure out what exactly is going on. Some notes and speculation from episode 2:

Spoiler

The main theory is that the scenes of Ozzy are actually Manhattan, but that seems too obvious. I think it's actually Ozzy, but I think he's on Mars, Manhattan moved him there for punishment, now he just watches Ozzy toil with his genetically created, cloned, potato-brained humans. 

Angela's grandpa, what's his deal? Did he hang the sheriff? Does he have powers or abilities? I remember in the comic the "alien" Ozzy created was made from humans who had latent psychic abilities, so that was confirmation people with powers other then Manhattan exists, but does the grandpa have powers or not? Taking that egg directly out of boiling water is not something a regular human does, also, he has connections, like, airlift an entire car out of a parking lot connections.

Angela's kids castle he was building, that was the same castle Ozzy was staying in, and the same one we briefly saw Manhattan level on Mars, what's the deal there? Just a toy? Does he have abilities? Not sure what to think about the castle connection. 

Have the police country wide grafted all of Nite Owl II's tech into their arsenal? They have archie's, Angela had some upgraded Nite Owl goggles when she found the Klan robes, what else are the police using? Is Nite Owl II still alive and operating? Is he police now? 

Very interesting so far, the world building is great, the cast is fantastic, and the performances have been solid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I was thinking about trying to check this series out.  Then I happened upon a review article on ep 6, "This Extraordinary Being."  Apparently, this episode has an surprise reveal, that changes the legacy of a major original character from the comic. 

Spoiler

Watchmen’s sixth episode, “This Extraordinary Being,” is one of the most explosive episodes of television this year, and it’s all wrapped around one nuclear revelation: Will Reeves, a.k.a. Angela’s grandfather, a.k.a. the mysterious man in the wheelchair, is the superhero known as Hooded Justice. "

So, lemme get this straight.  You (you being the intrepid writers of this new show for HBO) would have us go with you on your premise that one of the very first superheroes--who will have started his vigilante work in the-late-'30's-to-early-'40's America; and who just happens to be black--would have chosen as his "union suit" to do his crimefighting: an outfit with a HOOD and a GODDA*N NOOSE?!?  You shi**in' me? 

Nah.  Y'all can miss me wit that bullsh*t. 

At first blush, this seems like an attempt at doing something outlandish and nonsensical just for shock value, and to generate clicks/views.  No wonder Alan Moore wants (Hollywood) people to leave his sh*t alone.  <_<

Edited by reddsun1

11 minutes ago, reddsun1 said:

Okay, so I was thinking about trying to check this series out.  Then I happened upon a review article on ep 6, "This Extraordinary Being."  Apparently, this episode has an surprise reveal, that changes the legacy of a major original character from the comic. 

Hide contents

Watchmen’s sixth episode, “This Extraordinary Being,” is one of the most explosive episodes of television this year, and it’s all wrapped around one nuclear revelation: Will Reeves, a.k.a. Angela’s grandfather, a.k.a. the mysterious man in the wheelchair, is the superhero known as Hooded Justice. "

So, lemme get this straight.  You (you being the intrepid writers of this new show for HBO) would have us go with you on your premise that one of the very first superheroes--who will have started his vigilante work in the-late-'30's-to-early-'40's America; and who just happens to be black--would have chosen as his "union suit" to do his crimefighting: an outfit with a HOOD and a GODDA*N NOOSE?!?  You shi**in' me? 

At first blush, this seems like an attempt at doing something outlandish and nonsensical just for shock value, and to generate clicks/views.  No wonder Alan Moore wants (Hollywood) people to leave his sh*t alone.  <_<

I'll just say that they present it in a way that makes sense, even if at first thought it's awkward as hell. I'd suggest giving it a watch, episode 6 was incredibly satisfying.

4 minutes ago, reddsun1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So, lemme get this straight.  You (you being the intrepid writers of this new show for HBO) would have us go with you on your premise that one of the very first superheroes--who will have started his vigilante work in the late-'30's-to-early-'40's America; and who just happens to be black--would have chosen as his "union suit" to do his crimefighting: an outfit with a HOOD and a GODDA*N NOOSE?!?  You shi**in' me? 

On the other hand; I actually enjoyed the range outside of the box for episode 6. And I think you should actually read the interview you're attempting to reference from 2017:

https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2019/11/moore-on-jerusalem-eternalism-anarchy.html?m=1

This way you can speak better on the actuality of the topic instead of your spin; he's upset with the system, not the interpretation and expansion of his work by other artist.

29 minutes ago, blackconvoy_D01 said:

On the other hand; I actually enjoyed the range outside of the box for episode 6. And I think you should actually read the interview you're attempting to reference from 2017:

https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2019/11/moore-on-jerusalem-eternalism-anarchy.html?m=1

This way you can speak better on the actuality of the topic instead of your spin; he's upset with the system, not the interpretation and expansion of his work by other artist.

Many thanks for the link.  Yes, I suppose Alan Moore's thoughts on where the characters' arcs should go are pretty much irrelevant, as he intimated that he's effectively divorced himself from those earlier works.  

Still, I can't help but wonder: how much will his thoughts and feelings on the superhero genre have changed or evolved in the 25+ years between writing Watchmen and that interview?  i.e. It begs the question: just how much "Birth of a Nation" is in that original incarnation of H.J., eh? 

4 minutes ago, reddsun1 said:

Still, I can't help but wonder: how much will his thoughts and feelings on the superhero genre have changed or evolved in the 25+ years between writing Watchmen and that interview?  i.e. It begs the question: just how much "Birth of a Nation" is in that original incarnation of H.J., eh? 

Id imagine it'd be like asking Shakespeare his thoughts on West Side Story or Romeo and Juliet from 1968. He's going to have an opinion either way in regards to deviations, interpretations,  and context. The positive aspects is the endurance of relevancy in him and his work.

Alan is justifiably upset and deserves his opinion on how his work is handled at the corporate level.

4 hours ago, reddsun1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So did you actually watch the episode to get the how he became Hooded Justice instead of just reading about the reveal?

It made absolute perfect sense, and within the context of that episode and what led up to the first moment he turned to masked crime fighting, there's zero reason to question the decision. I personally can't applaud the show enough for making a near perfect fusion of the original source material, and this new series and the new characters that have been introduced, it was a brilliant episode of TV. Also, it slightly retconned the questionable, to say the least, character that was Hooded Justice, a supposed white man with that particular costume. 

4 hours ago, reddsun1 said:

As I said, to me, it came off as an incredibly brilliant way of fusing the original source material and the new series. Also, retconning one of Moore's more tone-deaf moments among his already at times, immensely tone-deaf series, it was a well written reveal and episode, with fantastic character development, and it more or less "fixed" one of the issues with the original Minute Men. 

Agree with you @Tking22. I think it’s a great update to a character that I remember as more of an after thought from the original comics.

I think the way the character actually relates to the rest of the hero coalition and vice verse is one of the more important parts of the whole series so far.

Can’t wait till next week.

8 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Agree with you @Tking22. I think it’s a great update to a character that I remember as more of an after thought from the original comics.

I think the way the character actually relates to the rest of the hero coalition and vice verse is one of the more important parts of the whole series so far.

Can’t wait till next week.

In Before Watchmen: Minutemen, he had a larger role, but nothing that contradicted this episode of the series. Also, you are about right that he was more or less an after thought, he was only really known for being the first masked vigilante within the Watchmen universe, not much else.

The series has been brilliant, and agreed, I seriously can't wait for another episode, I find myself pining for Sunday night through the work week, just so I can get another fix. 

I can't even wait to see what in the hell is going on with Ozymandias. I'm increasingly wondering if the writers are going to interject Dr. Manhattan any time now. I feel like they've been extremely clever in not focusing on him for any of this so far.

Episode 7, while a bit clunky at times with exposition, is a pretty monumental piece of TV, and within overall Watchmen fiction, a game changer. 

Once again, this shows ability to blend old and new is unrivaled. This episode will garner strong opinions and emotions, one way or the other, from every single person watching. Wow.

I loved it, and am once again ready for another week to go by so I can get another piece of this outstanding puzzle. I never imagined a Watchmen sequel series would be well made in general, deliver a worthwhile sequel to the comic itself, and be one of the best shows on television all at once.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, Tking22 said:

Episode 7, while a bit clunky at times with exposition, is a pretty monumental piece of TV, and within overall Watchmen fiction, a game changer. 

Once again, this shows ability to blend old and new is unrivaled. This episode will garner strong opinions and emotions, one way or the other, from every single person watching. Wow.

I loved it, and am once again ready for another week to go by so I can get another piece of this outstanding puzzle. I never imagined a Watchmen sequel series would be well made in general, deliver a worthwhile sequel to the comic itself, and be one of the best shows on television all at once.

I too am kind of struck by how well this is all coming together.  I really wonder, how the eff did Damon and whoever else conceive all this.

They have seemingly distilled the structure and some of the essence of the original and refactored it into something that actually lives up to the original.

I want to know how they did it.  I hope theirs a 'making of' and a whole lot of interviews with the writers at some point.

4 hours ago, Axelay said:

I just don't even know how all of this is going to be wrapped up in just one episode remaining...

Either Dr. Manhattan is going to pull through for his love of Angela, or hes going to allow things to just happen and accept his circumstances. It is an over 1 hour episode slated for the 15th so we'll see.

I do have the theory that Dr. Manhattan will (while in battle with the 7th Calvary in epsisode 8), will free Ozymandias and Ozy will save them.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

• 1 year later...

It’s a pretty good show, just wondering if there’s gonna be more. It seems like there are a few open spots for a story to explore. There are some bits that never got truly explained like the super slick guy that just slides into the sewer. I know that fan theories have explained it , but it seems kind of an odd point not to address that by the end of the show 

I can't believe I wasted my time on this garbage show.

I am more socially liberal than the woke crowd. But I can't stand when the woke movement is shoved down my throat. And more than that I can't stand shows/movies who's foundations are woke messaging and the story second. It's a condescending pandering cop out devoid of artistry.  

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

I can't believe I wasted my time on this garbage show.

I am more socially liberal than the woke crowd. But I can't stand when the woke movement is shoved down my throat. And more than that I can't stand shows/movies who's foundations are woke messaging and the story second. It's a condescending pandering cop out devoid of artistry.  

The white supremacy wokeness was a little over the top, agreed which is typical HBO, but tuned it out to enjoy the rest of it.

On a side note Trent Reznor should do the soundtrack for the next BATMAN film.

Edited by TangledThorns