Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Oh man that is the one thing I've wanted most of all from Arcadia's releases: either make them all "premium finish" and just print the markings on, or include a sheet of decals for those of us that do want all the aircraft markings. Not this sticker crap. This isn't the freaking 1980s! These are supposed to be expensive high end toys.

Stickers and styrofoam trays... ugh! Get with the 21st century, Japan!

I wonder if there's some legal/contractual obligation that prevents Arcadia from including waterslides. A sheet of decals would cost practically nothing in relation to the overall cost of the toy, and when we're already paying 30k+ another 500 yen ain't gonna make any difference.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I wonder if there's some legal/contractual obligation that prevents Arcadia from including waterslides. A sheet of decals would cost practically nothing in relation to the overall cost of the toy, and when we're already paying 30k+ another 500 yen ain't gonna make any difference.

I've often wondered the same thing. My best guess is that there's an assumption on the part of the manufacturer as to what the consumer will want to work with. Toys, theoretically, should be ready to interact with right out of the box. Stickers are easy to apply, and historically decals have not been included with toys, so it might be that simple. I'd happily pay a little bit more to have sticker and decal versions of the markings included.

The Plamax 1/20 VF-1 kits are an interesting anomaly, though. They are most definitely a model that you have to assemble, and I think we all assumed that decals would be included, but we got stickers. Really crappy, profoundly disappointing stickers. If I'm correctly remembering their marketing material, the point was to make the kit easy to assemble and decorate for novice builders. Given the price tag, I wasn't looking for easy. I was looking for quality. They eventually released a set of decals (DX version that more or less matched the sticker sheets for $60) for it. Including both sticker and decals with those kits might have been too costly for Goodsmile/Max Factory to consider, but I would have been fine with it.

Edited by Anasazi37

5 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I've often wondered the same thing. My best guess is that there's an assumption on the part of the manufacturer as to what the consumer will want to work with. Toys, theoretically, should be ready to interact with right out of the box. Stickers are easy to apply, and historically decals have not been included with toys, so it might be that simple.

I'm sure it's mostly this. At the very least, Yamato had shown they were capable of of making waterslide decals. They included them with the kit versions of the VF-1 and SDF-1 which had to be essentially built like a model which is for a more specific subset of the fanbase. Also decals are more delicate than stickers.

That said, the stickers look like crap, especially if you just peel them off as is and apply them without trimming the clear parts away. It wouldn't kill them to include both stickers and decals so people at least have the option. OR just sell them separately if they want to be greedy about it and let them be available through online stores like HLJ, Anime-Export, etc.

I'm already paying $12-20 for 3rd party decals sheets when available, but that's just it... "when available" and they often aren't for most things.

Give us the frickin' option, Arcadia! I like your stuff, but knowing there's no waterslide decal alternative to those crappy stickers makes it harder to want to buy your non-premium finish editions (if there is even a premium finish version available).

Yeah, there's a reason I've never touched any of the sticker sheets on any Yamato or Arcadia release... with one very specific exception.  When I was looking for a Max VF-1S, I found a cheap copy of Max's VF-1A, and a broken Roy, and kitbashed them into a Max 1S.  I used the sticker for the head arrows to make Roy's arrows blue. :lol: 

I'm still really looking forward to the PF Arcadia YF-19, though also internally cringing at having to disassemble the wings to replace the wingsweep arms with my redesigned bracket (I still have a metal set from before Sculpteo stopped offering them).  I would really love to see them do a PF YF-21 to match it.. whenever it happens. :p 

Bandai painting the landing gear now would be a tacit admission that they screwed up on all their previous releases.

In 2082, for the 100th anniversary of Macross, Bandai will release a fully auto transforming & flight-capable VF-1 with working ejection seats... and the landing gear will still be plain unpainted metal.

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai painting the landing gear now would be a tacit admission that they screwed up on all their previous releases.

In 2082, for the 100th anniversary of Macross, Bandai will release a fully auto transforming & flight-capable VF-1 with working ejection seats... and the landing gear will still be plain unpainted metal.

I'll be 106 years old by 2082.

Hmmmm, I won't.

22 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ouch. I'll be 108 by then. :lol: 

Who knows, maybe by 2082, Bandai already entered the coffin business inspired with their franchise. :rolleyes:

They have already started catering to the older crowd. Remember the Machinder inspired walking canes.😂

image.jpeg.347312d2323cd62deb5bb03f2b2b205e.jpeg

I think we’ll end up getting coffins shaped like cockpits of our favorite Mecha when the time comes.

If you blink, you’ll miss the preorder window.

The coffin will have misspelled tampo all over it.

And instead of being in the 1/1 scale they show off at their 2081 Expo, the coffins will only be in the smaller 1/1.3 scale.

Edited by Mog

On 11/29/2022 at 2:25 AM, Lolicon said:

That is indeed an odd feature, for lack of a better word, of Bandai's DX line. In truth, Arcadia outclasses them on a lot of those small but meaningful details. I do love Bandai's penchant for tampo, but they go a bit overboard with it. I wish Arcadia would do more tampo, especially when the prices are in the $300 range. As a bare minimum, the intake markings, Macross kites, and nose and tail numbers should be tampoed. 

Part of me thinks it'd be a good thing if Bandai was to buy Arcadia and give them autonomy to continue doing their Macross products. Imagine what they could do with Bandai's resources. Too, the toys would come down in price (hopefully). Not sure Bandai would be willing to let Arcadia do things their way, though, so I guess it's better that they remain separate and a competitor in the Macross transforming toy market.

I think it's just Bandai resolutely sticking with metal / silver for landing gears, rather than unpainted per se. If we look at their HMR VFs, the gears are painted but they are still painted silver. What a wasted opportunity.. 

But unpainted intake fan details are still something of a head scratcher. Some DX's are, most aren't. The new HMR VF-0S's intakes are painted though, with the intake molding in sharper definition than the bigger 1/60 DX's. 

42 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I think it would be hilarious if they started making landing gear out of hard white plastic, but then painted them gray or silver.

Honestly.. I kind of wonder if we're at a point where someone with a very broken understanding of English is browsing these forums, and thinking all of these "DON'T DO THIS" statements are actually the opposite, and forwarding them to Bandai as feedback on what they should be doing.

It would explain a few things..

On 11/30/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mog said:

The coffin will have misspelled tampo all over it.

And instead of being in the 1/1 scale they show off at their 2081 Expo, the coffins will only be in the smaller 1/1.3 scale.

And "no step" printed on every available corner/edge.  Ironically, they might finally remember to put the ejection warning on tho.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:22 AM, Chronocidal said:

Honestly.. I kind of wonder if we're at a point where someone with a very broken understanding of English is browsing these forums, and thinking all of these "DON'T DO THIS" statements are actually the opposite, and forwarding them to Bandai as feedback on what they should be doing.

It would explain a few things..

It's probably more along the lines of an AI/algorithm that scours the internet for hits on particular subject matter, then reports the amount which then registers them as mentions instead of complaints.  I bet they probably just pay google to do it, but don't want to pay for the deep dive details.  So the more screw ups they include, the more people talk about it, so it counts as a win.  Honestly, it goes with the double entendre, "No publicity is bad publicity."  If you had nothing to talk about, even bad things, you wouldn't be talking about it, and thus they would sell less because less people would hear about it in the first place.

Edited by Pontus

• 5 months later...

So is Company B a subsidiary of Arcadia? This is the first I've heard of it, and to my knowledge, Mr. K. worked for Arcadia. 

Anyway, I would have loved to see them improve the leg proportions on the Yamato YF-21 design. It was otherwise a nigh perfect YF-21, but the disproportionally skinny legs just threw off the look of it in battroid, which is my favored mode for display. I will happily accept a fighter with a thicker backend as a concession; Kawamori-san applied liberal use of artistic license to the design in his original lineart, such that it was always going to be challenging for a toy company to realize an ideal 3D representation that transforms.

That statement doesn't seem very clear..
I plugged the tweet into DeepL translator, this is what it spat out:

It looks like company B will not release YF-21 in DX Chogokin, so in 1/60 equivalent, Yamato company's is the one and only!
We must cherish it 😊.
(This is my understanding based on what I heard directly from Mr. K of Company B, so there may be a release by any chance?)

Still confusing! :unknw:

Will the real Mr. K please stand up? 😅

After reading the translations multiple times, my take away is that this fan is  bemoaning the fact that a new 1:60-scale YF-21 isn’t yet available to purchase. I have no idea how to interpret the Mr. K and company B stuff. That seems too cryptic to make any sense whatsoever. So with that said, I am glad they like their Yamato ‘21.

I’ll continue to wait for official news.

Well, reading it again, if Company B is indeed Bandai and they have no plan to release their YF-21, then it makes sense that the Yammie is the only 1/60 option. FWIW, I'd take that Bandai toy as-is if only b/c it has better battroid proportions than the Yammie. If this guy's statement is true, then I lament what could have been from Bandai and hope that Arcadia will give consideration to making some much-needed improvements to the Yamato toy's legs and the joints thereof (the hips are quite loose on mine although it has barely been handled) and release it. It'll be crazy expensive, but worth it if the improvement is significant.

8 hours ago, treatment said:

hmmm...?

Maybe he means they’re going back to the drawing board and not issuing the version they showed?  (This is actually me being hopeful because i didn’t like the proposed new ones super short arms and legs that started in the armpits.)

Honestly, I am in no rush whatsoever for them to release it. 

I want them to fix their design before pushing it out to market.  The last time we saw it still had far too many compromises.. The legs were an improvement, but everything else was worse.

i tried reading it earlier, with my limited understandinig of japanese grammar and prepositions, combined with machine translating short bits of vocabulary individually, that tweet still read the same. the two lines still cryptically talking past each other and seemed semi contradictory

now that i've had a sleep and enough brain power to have another look at it, it seems to me that the bracketed sentence is a borderline run-on sentence, and there might be some machine mistranslation from "my" to "I"

so how i think this tweet should read:

"seems bandai isn't gonna make yf-21, so there is none other than the yamato. i gotta treasure it. (now that person K from company B has directly heard MY understanding of the matter, perhaps they would get around to releasing it?)"

so if i'm correct, the whole tweet reads like a doomer speculation that leads into wishful coersion