Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

As long as we're doing mad science, the GN-U DOU version. :lol: 

I remember making a mock-up of Yamato's 1/60 body with GN-u Dou's legs. But I can't find it. But yes, I'm in with GN-u Dou. ;) 

Also, it's not too bad for Bandai to use Wave's 1/100 YF-21 for reference and work from there. :rolleyes:

image.jpeg.9583d9813c67311b40531ff52c26df41.jpeg image.jpeg.ee7513277394036cf24d2d13d08c2eb6.jpeg

Or they could just scratch the DX for now and do the unreleased HMR and scale up from there. I'm pretty sure there will be an HMR YF-21 due to the upcoming anniversaries. :spiteful:

image.jpeg.949bd61752d2ad11d8b762a1f3ab9c01.jpeg 

1 hour ago, enphily said:

after the easily detachable legs on the DX VF-1, we just need a partsformer or optional thick legs/leg pads and that's all

Translation: A very big "Fat Lower Bodysuit" like what they did to Boba Fat and over stuffed Bib Fortuna (after he scarfed everything off Jabba's Dining Table when his former employer pooched after being covered in mounds of salt).    

Personally i would trade a Bandai YF-21 for some good waterslide decals for my old yamato YF-21. It's the only thing i cannot stand about it. The stickers look absolutely horrible(it's always like that on blue plastic) and they make everything less...realistic. I am sure that, if could find some well-done decals, the old yammie would still look absolutely gorgeous and very likely i would not feel the need for a new version of it(if they do not correct all the mistakes we have seen so far. If they do, well, then it's a different question).

One day i am going to try to use the ones included in the 1/72 hasegawa kit but i am afraid they will be too small.

2 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

Personally i would trade a Bandai YF-21 for some good waterslide decals for my old yamato YF-21. It's the only thing i cannot stand about it. The stickers look absolutely horrible(it's always like that on blue plastic) and they make everything less...realistic. I am sure that, if could find some well-done decals, the old yammie would still look absolutely gorgeous and very likely i would not feel the need for a new version of it(if they do not correct all the mistakes we have seen so far. If they do, well, then it's a different question).

One day i am going to try to use the ones included in the 1/72 hasegawa kit but i am afraid they will be too small.

Did you happen to trim the stickers? 

Some have trimmed down the overage and the stickers do look decent.

Got pics of your YF-21? I just love seeing custom work.

2 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Did you happen to trim the stickers? 

Some have trimmed down the overage and the stickers do look decent.

Got pics of your YF-21? I just love seeing custom work.

Thank you for your advice but yes, I tried to do that  too (not on the YF-21) but i found it very difficult to get every stickers of the same dimension. They just seem off. Also, i am past forty and my sight is not the same of when i was young😅 Need something easier. 

I will definitely post some pics of my YF-21 (I even panel lined it. Partially) as soon as the sun gets up here in Italy! Thank you for asking!

22 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

Thank you for your advice but yes, I tried to do that  too (not on the YF-21) but i found it very difficult to get every stickers of the same dimension. They just seem off. Also, i am past forty and my sight is not the same of when i was young😅 Need something easier. 

I will definitely post some pics of my YF-21 (I even panel lined it. Partially) as soon as the sun gets up here in Italy! Thank you for asking!

I feel you.

Might be good to pick up a backlit glass to cut out the decals. The light helps you see the outlines better. Or use glasses, a magnifying glass and learn to hold your breath while cutting, and concentrate on keeping a steady hand. I know I do.😂

Looking forward to the pics.

@nightmareB4macross

As i promised some shots of my YF-21 and my M+ shelf. I think from these pictures you can see two things:

1. Despite its age the Yamato YF-21 is still a great looking toy, even among the most recent releases.

2. The stickers really suck.

I think that, once i will be able to replace the stickers with some decent waterslide decals, i won't feel the need for a DX release.

Y1.jpg

Y2.jpg

Y3.jpg

Y4.jpg

Y5.jpg

1 hour ago, Chunky001 said:

Yeah, those stickers suck. Mine are all still on their sheets in the boxes for this reason. I hope you're able to find waterslides.:good:

Y3.jpg

Thank you! I hope so too. It's kind of weird when i think about it, finding those decals became my holy grail for macross collecting(and i have been collecting for more than two decades).

4 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Yeah, those stickers suck. Mine are all still on their sheets in the boxes for this reason. I hope you're able to find waterslides.:good:

Y3.jpg

Yeah, I hated those stickers from Yamato back in the day. They continued using those double or triple layer sandwich monstrosities until the VF-11 or VF-1 v2. I forget exactly. The corners on the top layer would also start peeling.  Even the later ones were still kind of thick, but still not nearly as bad. 

I had used stickers meant for the VF-1 from @takatoys back then for most of the markings. They weren't waterslides, but they were a huge improvement over what came with the YF-21. Trimmed properly, they looked pretty decent.

15334827272_27619848ac_o.jpg

14999978633_f118ebfd93_o.jpg

Am I the only one who wants a DARK YF-21?  Why are 90% of toys so much lighter than the anime? It was practically navy blue in many scenes, and never the bright blue we see in most recent toys. I think the first Yamato/Toycom was the only one that ever got the main color right.  

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Yeah, I hated those stickers from Yamato back in the day. They continued using those double or triple layer sandwich monstrosities until the VF-11 or VF-1 v2. I forget exactly. The corners on the top layer would also start peeling.  Even the later ones were still kind of thick, but still not nearly as bad. 

I had used stickers meant for the VF-1 from @takatoys back then for most of the markings. They weren't waterslides, but they were a huge improvement over what came with the YF-21. Trimmed properly, they looked pretty decent.

15334827272_27619848ac_o.jpg

14999978633_f118ebfd93_o.jpg

O my...they look really good! Such a huge improvement from the stickers from Yamato! Great work on the weathering too...subtle but really well done. Who needs a Bandai DX when you have a YF-21 like yours. 

Amyway, are those stickers still available somewhere?

Edited by Robin-11

26 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

O my...they look really good! Such a huge improvement from the stickers from Yamato! Great work on the weathering too...subtle but really well done. Who needs a Bandai DX when you have a YF-21 like yours. 

Amyway, are those stickers still available somewhere?

They're from many years ago, so I doubt it. However, you have better options now as you can go to ebay or other places and get some 1/60 waterslide decals for the VF-1 and they should work just fine. 

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392912244406?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JBPAMr0eQYi&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Avoid this though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/132263930355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=eQq8BKGURZ2&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The No Step actually say "NO STLP"

Edited by MacrossJunkie

2 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

They're from many years ago, so I doubt it. However, you have better options now as you can go to ebay or other places and get some 1/60 waterslide decals for the VF-1 and they should work just fine. 

I thought so too but i had to change my mind. I did buy some WD for the VF-1 but first it's really hard to find white decals, most of them are red or black and they don't go will with the blue chassis of the YF-21 in my opinion. Second a YF-21 in a 1/60 scale is much bigger than a VF-1 in the same scale. Probably i should go with a 1/48 scale(which are not so easy to find). At this point i should just try my luck with the ones included in the Hasegawa kit but i heard they are terrible.

2 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

I thought so too but i had to change my mind. I did buy some WD for the VF-1 but first it's really hard to find white decals, most of them are red or black and they don't go will with the blue chassis of the YF-21 in my opinion. Second a YF-21 in a 1/60 scale is much bigger than a VF-1 in the same scale. Probably i should go with a 1/48 scale(which are not so easy to find). At this point i should just try my luck with the ones included in the Hasegawa kit but i heard they are terrible.

I just edited my post. Check the first link.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Yeeeeeh, sorry Bandai, NO SALE.  Those above pics just prove that Yamato's fighter mode was damn near perfect.  As far as battroid, whatever, wasn't ever a fan of it anyway.

Yeah, there's no argument there.  Perhaps Arcadia will be able to figure out a way to give it more proportional legs without compromising the jet mode too much, as it's nigh perfect as is. If so, I'd take that over the Bandai.

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Am I the only one who wants a DARK YF-21?  Why are 90% of toys so much lighter than the anime? It was practically navy blue in many scenes, and never the bright blue we see in most recent toys. I think the first Yamato/Toycom was the only one that ever got the main color right.  

This.

57 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

image.jpeg.6b79367b92528fdc6ffd059ef6a03b09.jpeg

I think you have a point here.

13 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I think the only one that came close to that color was the FP version of the Yamato 1/72 YF-21?

Nope.  The 1/72 YF-21FP is quite significantly purple'ish.

David's correct. The original 1/72 YF-21 had closer colors to the anime.

add/edit:

from the Legacy page:

https://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/yf21fp_sample/_yf21fp_sample.htm

sample:

comparison-6.jpg

Edited by treatment

33 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

image.jpeg.6b79367b92528fdc6ffd059ef6a03b09.jpeg

I think you have a point here.

It is a good point, but I also think that particular screenshot looks unnaturally dark, and I have to wonder whether the perception of the YF-21 being darker could be based on how dim the Manga DVD release was.

I do think it looks better darker, though, and the color on the original 1/72 pretty much nailed it.