Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, borgified said:

For those getting the DX 21, we all know that Bandai loves to plaster the hideous tattoos on where ever the heck they want (like the Full Set DX 19), is anyone going to remove them and make it less eye sore or just leave it the way it is? 

I don’t care if it is overdone like Bandai or very plain like normal Arcadia releases. Neither way is worth any extra effort and enjoyable as they are imo. If I have some appropriate water slide decals, I might put those on some of the plain Arcadia releases but that’s the most I’ll do. 

31 minutes ago, enphily said:

I'm looking at that and i don't know. Maybe i still prefer my Yamato, especially if it's in right placetelegram-cloud-photo-size-2-5458618161944445003-y.jpg.98c89d416834c1f276c22b5a613d0362.jpg

You have the right idea. Bandai’s efforts on the YF-19 felt stylized and their version of the YF-21 feels the same.

It might come with new improvements but it is far more off than Yamato’s iteration.

2 hours ago, enphily said:

I'm looking at that and i don't know. Maybe i still prefer my Yamato, especially if it's in right placetelegram-cloud-photo-size-2-5458618161944445003-y.jpg.98c89d416834c1f276c22b5a613d0362.jpg

Same here. :good: 

I'm still amazed on what Yamato did to shorten the nosecone in Battroid mode. ;) And knowing that Bandai didn't have that, I wonder if both figures will have the same nosecone length in Battroid. 

I might be in the minority on this, but I feel like aside from the strange blocky heel, the Bandai YF-19 was pretty good proportionally in all modes. Like the VB-6 Konig Monster, it was reworked to be able to be used as a proportionally consistent CG model and I feel that both the VB-6 in Frontier and the VF-19 Advance (more or less the same as the YF-19 aside from the canopy and heel) did a good job translating the original line art forms to a 3D model. Meanwhile, Arcadia was going for the anime look succeeded there as well.

I don't feel that level of effort in this Bandai YF-21 though. Like comparing the half assed effort in the VF-25 v1 to the renewal versions.

56 minutes ago, Chunky001 said:

Come on Bandai. WE WANT CLEAR STAND ADAPTERS! Sheesh.<_<

That said, this has got to be the most flattering angle I have seen of the Bandai in Fighter.

YF-21.jpg.99306c19d8ebc866d8b4107925e84ee0.jpg

The stand adapter was kinda clear 4 years ago 🤣

20191025_102132.jpg.9c37c8f44f83d976e9d32091b2dc08c1.jpg

2 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

The stand adapter was kinda clear 4 years ago 🤣

20191025_102132.jpg.9c37c8f44f83d976e9d32091b2dc08c1.jpg

The plastic stand went beyond yellowing! :ph34r:

EDIT:  How the hell are they gonna pull off the Fast Packs in fighter mode?

Edited by Mog

3 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Come on Bandai. WE WANT CLEAR STAND ADAPTERS! Sheesh.<_<

That said, this has got to be the most flattering angle I have seen of the Bandai in Fighter.

YF-21.jpg.99306c19d8ebc866d8b4107925e84ee0.jpg

The profile from that shot looks slimmer than I thought they'd be able to manage.

2 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

IMG-20221119-WA0033.jpg

That gives some hope that some revisions may be made, but only a glimmer of it.

Yeah. This one looks pregnant like another tiny YF-21 is gonna pop out of it any second.  The fuselage and intakes just slope down and back all together at the same angle like a turkey chest with zero relief between the intakes underneath.

There’s no hoping they’re gonna change anything about this design. Maybe they’ll release it and then redesign it like the VF-25. I mean, they’ll make more money from all of us that way by producing this version first. 😂

Here’s hoping that Arcadia produces their own version based on the Yamato design. For battroid I’d prefer skinny legs yet well proportioned arms rather than this thick legged and skinny armed thing that Bandai came up with all at the sacrifice of a well proportioned fighter.

I think Bandai is paying too much attention to the big leg fans out there. Surely there can be a compromise as to make it not such an extreme difference between the Bandai and the Yammie. I agree with a lot of you that have observed that it looks like Bandai just kind of threw the line art out the window but you just can’t have your cake and eat it too with this mecha design. It would be an engineering nightmare even with alien technology to fit big legs underneath engines yet still hold to the line art. 

All that said, I’m still gonna get at least one if it’s actually produced just so I can hold it in my hands and look at all the angles myself. 

On 11/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, no3Ljm said:

I haven't visited Arcadia YF-21 thread at this point, but if Mr. K is going to make the existing Yamato YF-21 design refined and make it close to lineart as much as possible esp in Battroid mode, I'll go with Arcadia. Again, to make it look perfect as the lineart, YF-21 should be a partsformer. :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see how Arcadia improves on the old design to improve battroid. Almost certainly it would necessitate some concession to the sleekness of the fighter mode, which would turn a lot of people off to it. Moreover, Arcadia's prices these days are pretty hard to swallow. I'm willing to wait and hope Bandai releases this. I would hope they make some improvements before doing so, especially to the benefit of the fighter, but mot at the expense of the battroid.  I think the battroid and fghter look good, not perfect, but on those merits, I'll still take a copy.

Absolutely, positively no to partsforming. The salient point of both Macross valks and Transformers is the fact that they transform. No partsforming concessions- just better engineering. It's not an impossibility.

20 minutes ago, Reïvaj said:

Come on!!! What's all this? It looks like the underside of a crab!!!

Fh7dS0zaYAAMnKJ.jpeg

17 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

That backpack is way too bulky.

Maybe Bandai will revise this proportion and make it a bit more collapsible.

10 minutes ago, Mog said:

Is there a reason why they made the back so thick?

Other than to make the legs supposedly thicker.

Never understood the design choices on this and still don’t.

roflmao!

Bandai sure do love backpacks.

Maybe during Bandai's current Zoids-collaboration with Takara, they want Takara to hold their beer regarding backs/backpacks...

:bump:

Edited by treatment

The completionist in me says I'd probably grab one, but I'd much rather spend the money on a PF Arcadia re-release, because this gets worse the longer you look at it.  The arms look so puny compared to the Yamato, those tiny hands.. They could improve SO MUCH just by making the arms longer, moving the tails back, and using them to hide some of the junk that trunk is packing.

Seriously, that backpack is a giant pile of WTF.  What is even going on there?

The way they reshaped the canopy still looks like garbage, because the nose looks both too short and all bloated, when there is no reason not to shape it like the art.

13 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I might be in the minority on this, but I feel like aside from the strange blocky heel, the Bandai YF-19 was pretty good proportionally in all modes. Like the VB-6 Konig Monster, it was reworked to be able to be used as a proportionally consistent CG model and I feel that both the VB-6 in Frontier and the VF-19 Advance (more or less the same as the YF-19 aside from the canopy and heel) did a good job translating the original line art forms to a 3D model. Meanwhile, Arcadia was going for the anime look succeeded there as well.

I don't feel that level of effort in this Bandai YF-21 though. Like comparing the half assed effort in the VF-25 v1 to the renewal versions.

I don't even know if that's a minority opinion on the YF-19.  I think the blocky heel and obnoxious tampo are really the only detractors from that design.  They managed to work in the correct crotch plate flip, and pulled off proportions a lot closer to the Hasegawa kit, though they definitely overcomplicated things with that crazy folding panel mechanism in the legs.  I think somewhere between the two would be perfect, but they're both incredibly good.

Edited by Chronocidal

26 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

But whose body?

Yamato’s body. Otherwise we’re left with it looking like it ran into a wall. Even the VF-1 toys don’t have little bodies/torsos like they do in the 1980’s animation. The toys have elongated torsos so that the planes don’t look stupid  

45 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

image.gif.20187992f499fd7d8c242aae5d53a375.gif

Looks good in Battroid full frontal. 

This line art is silly IMO. I mean, that looks great as a stand-alone mecha but imagining that transforming into an aircraft without anything magically shrinking or becoming larger is just impossible and the actual engines of the plane aren’t even visible in that drawing. There’s no room for them. 

Edited by rematron