Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

As long as we’re all speculating, Bandai could be saving this so that its release coincides with the WWM release of Macross Plus on blu-ray. Stranger things have happened…:unknw:

Seems like a stretch but I'll be happy if it happens. Cmon Bandai just do it already!!! 

I got fooled into thinking there was real news too - especially seeing so many replies in my email, I thought there must be something up instead of just one person wondering - oops, well I guess I just added to that list of replies.  Sure do hope this sees the light of day, its the whole reason I hunted down the YF-19 afterwards and I'm glad I did or I would have missed out on a nice toy - so much better than the VF-19 money grab they put out beforehand (of course I got suckered in and now I have both)

3 hours ago, mechaninac said:

In all fairness, speculation, conjecture, hope, disappointment and coping are all time honored MW traditions...

Wouldn't be MW without it. B))

However 3 years later without a single mention, I'm going with this project has been shelved for now. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, no3Ljm said:

Well, atleast in this lifetime, we have the photos to stare at. :spiteful:

That's why I'm going to repost some old photos to make you excited once again. :spiteful:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

^ Wow, that underbelly is looking really chunky. Not sure about fighter mode ....

Edited by ValkAddict
unable to see comment

<sigh>:  

* Hip guards are all wrong and too short.

* Arms are a little too thin.

* A third of the underbelly goes to the battroid backpack.  This design choice seems to do no favors for Gerwalk mode (gonna be a bunch of kibble hanging off the back or covering up where the ventral boosters should go).

* This “third of the underbelly” design choice ALSO adds unnecessary complications when they add the FAST pack armors.

Another member posted a pic with all the issues he had with Bandai’s rendition, back on page 10.

But these have been and continue to be my biggest gripes with Bandai’s prototype.

I don’t mind different choices or favoring battroid over fighter.  But Bandai’s choices—especially with the hip guards/underbelly—just made no damn sense.

You either have a slim and aerodynamic fighter with a skinny batroid mode or a well proportionated batroid mode with an absolute chunk of fighter mode.

I wouldn't be too picky. The 21 by far, might, gotta be the most anime magic affected valk.

Anything before Zero and Frontier, when they started using actual 3D CAD models for everything, was pretty heavy on the anime magic.

This is just normal for Bandai, take a look at their Metal Build figures, or RG/MG/PG gundam kits and compare them to the screen versions.

The D'stance YF-21 had a pretty good balance of proportions overall. The only issues I had with it was that the neck in fighter mode was just way too long and could have used some covers over the arms. That Hi-metal prototype that was shown years ago also looked pretty good. While I really want a new YF-21 designed to today's standards, I didn't feel like the one they showed early in this thread was it. To me, it didn't look good in any mode. 

D'stance YF-21

image.jpeg.9abc0e823abc04fee34d106a6f3caa21.jpeg

The fighter is still sleek

image.jpeg.f100905aef66e62a189428856281a48e.jpeg

but why this?

yf21_fi023.jpg.c019e2a8e315632347aa1c771a678390.jpg

Hi-Metal prototype. This seems pretty good too. 

SPdMSA0.jpg.0c1e218ab9316b2dc6c53ab15b53ff67.jpg

There was a lot of anime magic in the YF-19 also, but both Yamato/Arcadia and Bandai found a good balance and made them look good in all modes. 

It would be nice if that same sort of engineering skill could be put toward a DX YF-21.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Considering how Hasegawa put out a 1/48th YF-19 kit a long time ago now.. and has yet to even touch the YF-21 again?  I feel like, despite him being more of a secondary main-character/anti-hero in Plus, Guld fell into the unwanted villain mecha trope, and no one wants to bother with him.

Maybe the demand for it just isn't there.  Considering how many times Arcadia has reissued their YF-19, and has yet to touch the YF-21, I'm thinking they just can't justify the gamble.

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

yf21_fi023.jpg.c019e2a8e315632347aa1c771a678390.jpg

First time seeing D'stance's kit, and gotta say that's a nice solution to lengthen or shorten the nose as necessary, although it is a bit overdone for Fighter. This may not be canon, but I don't mind if Bandai adopts this for their DX, as per the modified belly plate lengths for their prototype, so long as the results still look clean. I think these changes to get around the anime magic is still quite acceptable, so long as it generally still complies with the core transformation envisioned by Kawamori.

After all, the DX VF/YF-19 added the collapsing calf panels, itself inspired by the SHE kit (?), and the results were great.

Having finally acquired a Yamato VF-22 not too long ago, I have to say I’m not overly pleased with Bandai’s effort. Fighter mode is too chunky, there are too many markings, and given Bandai’s lack of QC these past few years I have no confidence they’ll put these out either working or looking correct. We’ve just witnessed a time where Bandai had a nigh-perfect toy in the VF-31 and then took all that engineering and completely screwed up the 31AX follow-up. 

So nah, that’s a no from me. 

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

.... Bandai’s lack of QC these past few years I have no confidence they’ll put these out either working or looking correct. We’ve just witnessed a time where Bandai had a nigh-perfect toy in the VF-31 and then took all that engineering and completely screwed up the 31AX follow-up.

^ Truth

I have all three versions of the Yammie VF-22 and the delimiter mode is questionable for me honestly (all stored in their respective boxes for now until I have time to set up a Macross display). 

I actually want to see a possible HMR version of the YF-21 however Bandai has different plans (as they always do). 

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

Oh, have they been screwing those up too?  It's not just the Macross license being neglected?

I recently got the MB Hi-Nu and I would not subscribe to the notion there are quality issues for the line. If you look into this forum's very own MB thread, then most of the complaining pertains to the usual Bandai pre-order shenanigans, scarcity and of course pricing. There isn't much talk about quality issues or decline thereof.

As for Bandai Macross stuff... I'm glad they still have interest in making new product, even if it sometimes means we have to deal with fit and alignment issues. The day Bandai stops offering Valkyrie toys is the day we start talking about neglect.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, ValkAddict said:

^ Wow, that underbelly is looking really chunky. Not sure about fighter mode ....

As a tradeoff for a better Battroid- I'm sold. I'd take that glorious thing as-is if they decided to just go ahead and market it.  If fighter is your thing, Yamato already produced what is likely to remain for some time an unparalleled YF-21 with a focus on fighter mode. It's gorgeous.  But the B-mode took the brunt of the concessions with its skinny disproportionate legs, and since I favor Battroid and display my valks as such, I want what Bandai is doing with their take. In the worst way possible. Since I boxed up my Yammie, my display isn't quite complete- need that YF-21 to make the world right again. :)

10 hours ago, lechuck said:

I recently got the MB Hi-Nu and I would not subscribe to the notion there are quality issues for the line. If you look into this forum's very own MB thread, then most of the complaining pertains to the usual Bandai pre-order shenanigans, scarcity and of course pricing. There isn't much talk about quality issues or decline thereof.

There have definitely been paint issues across the board and with the face markings being slightly off. Their QC has taken a hit and has been reflected by multiple reviewers. One good example is the entire shipment of the MB Red Dragonics had the flight pack lower stabilizer wings all installed inverted so they splay inwards instead of outwards, so Bandai had to do a recall and replace them all, and delaying the entire 2nd batch so they could fix it prior to sending out. 

It's not disastrous, but there definitely is a decline in quality as they struggle to keep things going amongst the still draconic covid lock downs in China. 

18 minutes ago, leeboo1211 said:

Did Yamato ever do a PF version of the YF-21 or vf-22? Most my valks are in fighter mode so I would get a yammie but I just hate their molded plastic finish... The Bandai YF-19 nails the finish, as did the YF-29 and all their later releases. 

Negative. No PF YF-21 or VF-22 from Yamato.

Bandai originally released the YF-29 with their shiny plastic finish. They switched to a matte finish only on the most recent reissue of Alto which was well received. 

After looking at the yf-21 pictures for this and the hi metal prototype, I prefer the look of the hmr. I do think it’s more likely that since the 19 is getting a model kit that the most likely 21 that Bandai will do is a yf-21 kit to go along with it. I’m curious on both of those since all we got so far is a dark silhouette picture of the vf-19 kit, but they seem further along with that project than this at the moment 

12 hours ago, leeboo1211 said:

Did Yamato ever do a PF version of the YF-21 or vf-22? Most my valks are in fighter mode so I would get a yammie but I just hate their molded plastic finish... The Bandai YF-19 nails the finish, as did the YF-29 and all their later releases. 

Nope. Just regular releases. And only the original release came with fast packs. If you wanted fast packs for the 21 you had to hunt down the fold booster bundle with pack for both 19 and 21.

Edited by Froy

• 4 weeks later...