Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

9 hours ago, AlphaOne said:

With Macross Plus coming to US theaters, hopefully this will reinvigorate the possibility Bandai will go through on this.  

ok you got me. Was hoping there were some new toy pics. :p
But it does seem the best time to unveil bandai's final final version of the 21, amirite??

:5:

Edited by seti88

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yep. NO DX YF-21 was shown in the previous Tamashii Nation 2021 'Macross Galactic Launch Ceremony 2021'.

It's creeping towards to being officially vaporware. :cray:

Just now, seti88 said:

insert fools hope clip here. 🤧

Shoji Kawamori himself is holding it close to the chest until his video message at the Dec. 14 Macross Plus showing, at which time he'll tell us all to look under our seats and - GASP! - it'll be waiting there for us, special commemorative toys with individually signed boxes!

25 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yep. NO DX YF-21 was shown in the previous Tamashii Nation 2021 'Macross Galactic Launch Ceremony 2021'.

It's creeping towards to being officially vaporware. :cray:

I'm going with it's delayed at this point in time, Bandai doesn't make every brilliant decision in the world yet they know their YF-19's sold like wild fire and the YF-21 might even be more sought after, I say we give it time. B))

Hell, we all for the most part the the HMR line & hopes of a Tomahawk were dead but here we are with a new Destroid, Hikaru 1S & VF-0S on the way. It'll happen just not right now. 

That’s quite a bold prediction there@kajnrig, however my I take a further step?

I still say Kawamori is like Howard Chan (owner of Hot Toys). Kawamori designs the valk, sees them get made and keeps one copy for his own personal collection while his close buddies get the other very limited run of that specific valk signed by him. 

23 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Shoji Kawamori himself is holding it close to the chest until his video message at the Dec. 14 Macross Plus showing, at which time he'll tell us all to look under our seats and - GASP! - it'll be waiting there for us, special commemorative toys with individually signed boxes!

And then on Xmas he’ll show up at each one of our houses and replace all our furniture with YF-21 boxes

15 hours ago, borgified said:

@aurance - Your also pushing it too along with @kajnrig. You guys think that Kawamori will be that generous? 

The project is officially vapourware as there’s nothing to tell that it’s in further development after that the last teaser from years ago. 

by now, everyone should know that time and/or our patience is irrelevant to the Ents at Bandai......you are saying that a toy that was first mentioned in 2019 is "officially" vaporware....yet a toy that was first DO'd (display only'd) in 2015 (and yes, I am referring to the HMR Tomahawk) is just now....a mere 6 years later...."possibly" being released between now and who knows when....maybe....

For the most part, it has always been like this for Macross collectors....best to get used to this quickly, if you have not done so already at some point during the last 40 years....:rolleyes:

Macross Plus fans waited fourteen years to get Yamato's 1/60 scale YF-21, which is still arguably the best toy of that valk. That was in 2008- so we've at least seen a protype that, IMHO, looks superior to the Yammie within that time, which gives me hope. Seems like a lot of work for nothing if they just abandon it. more to the point, I think Bandai are aware of the Yammie's weaknesses in battroid, understand that there are fans that want a more balanced toy between battroid and fighter, and that demand exists for a new YF-21 toy that fits with their own VF-19 Advanced and YF-19 toys.

If they just released that proto as a toy, I'd be down for it, as it fixes the skinny legs that I disliked on the Yamato. I'm a battroid guy, so that's where I want the next YF-21 toy to shine.

TBH...it'd be foolish for Bandai not to proceed with their DX YF-21...they made a big enough deal of the Macross Plus Movie edition release a few days ago as part of their WWM campaign....what good is a campaign without the merch to help monetize it.......so the YF-19 first, then the YF-21.......the biggest question now would be if they pull off a VF-11B to complete the Macross Plus "set" of VFs......I would say yes, simply because the next step in this WWM experiment will be Macross 7....in terms of VF merch in the form of DX's...the DX YF-19, YF-21, and VF-11B can easily be converted into their Macross 7 versions by Bandai..........at that point, the true test of WWM will be if the world unanimously rejects Macross 7 thus crushing Bandai's/BW's delusions of WWM grandeur! :rolleyes:

I'm also of the mindset that the WWM move makes this guy much more plausible. I've always viewed Macross Plus as one of the more popular ones here in the US esp. since it was actually officially available in the 90's. 

Anyone think that this might be part of the secret message during the Movie screening? 

I really hope this guy gets made - its one of my favorite designs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what they're waiting for. They showed their proto a couple years ago, which already looked pretty good to my eyes, and then went totally silent on any further development. It would have been great had they had the release coincide with the US showing of Macross Plus, putting a lot more effort behind promoting both, with at least a tv ad to promote it; had I not been on this forum, I never would have known about its release in theaters, so I'm thankful for this community.

Anyway, Bandai has to be aware that there's demand for a YF-21, at least among its Asian audience. I don't think they really have a good gauge on the American audience, but judging by the rollout of M+, they're never going to achieve much of an audience without more widespread promotion and marketing. I think Plus was the most likely film, next to SDF:M, due to Robotech, to capture a Western audience, since the storyline mirrors the real-world ATF contest in the late 80s, which ultimately ended in our leaders choosing the wrong plane to be our next gen fighter. It's a shame they didn't promote it, and more of a shame that they didn't have a shiny new toy to make it more enticing.

At this point I hope they didn't scrap what they had to go in a similar direction as Yamato, prioritizing the fighter over battroid, giving us yet another unbalanced looking b-mode with disproportionally skinny legs. <_<

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 2:29 AM, M'Kyuun said:

Not sure what they're waiting for. They showed their proto a couple years ago, which already looked pretty good to my eyes, and then went totally silent on any further development. It would have been great had they had the release coincide with the US showing of Macross Plus, putting a lot more effort behind promoting both, with at least a tv ad to promote it; had I not been on this forum, I never would have known about its release in theaters, so I'm thankful for this community.

Anyway, Bandai has to be aware that there's demand for a YF-21, at least among its Asian audience. I don't think they really have a good gauge on the American audience, but judging by the rollout of M+, they're never going to achieve much of an audience without more widespread promotion and marketing. I think Plus was the most likely film, next to SDF:M, due to Robotech, to capture a Western audience, since the storyline mirrors the real-world ATF contest in the late 80s, which ultimately ended in our leaders choosing the wrong plane to be our next gen fighter. It's a shame they didn't promote it, and more of a shame that they didn't have a shiny new toy to make it more enticing.

At this point I hope they didn't scrap what they had to go in a similar direction as Yamato, prioritizing the fighter over battroid, giving us yet another unbalanced looking b-mode with disproportionally skinny legs. <_<

I guess have to wait until the war crisis over soon.... YR2022 what a year! 

Edited by VF22fan

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Sokeijon said:

Still waiting 

It’s not going to be released in our lifetime @Sokeijon as our grandkids are going to get it (unless your willing to have it delivered to into your coffin six feet below or have it placed with you alongside in a crypt on a memorial wall). :wacko:

1 hour ago, borgified said:

It’s not going to be released in our lifetime @Sokeijon as our grandkids are going to get it (unless your willing to have it delivered to into your coffin six feet below or have it placed with you alongside in a crypt on a memorial wall). :wacko:

Well, atleast in this lifetime, we have the photos to stare at. :spiteful:

6 minutes ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

I love seeing a bump on this thread only to see it's nothing lol. I got SUPER excited for a minute.

That's why I'm going to repost some old photos to make you excited once again. :spiteful:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

This topic should be locked until we have some actual, grounded news of a release. Otherwise it's just speculation. 

In all fairness, speculation, conjecture, hope, disappointment and coping are all time honored MW traditions...

47 minutes ago, borgified said:

I think is time to toss in more durians, balut, stinky tofu, and other pungent smelling foods to offset the “False News” that’s been spreading around here right @no3Ljm:girl_devil:

Hahaha! :lol: 

But seriously, I think 3 years in since it was revealed back in Oct 2019, it's safe to assume for now that this is on-hold or vaporware until Bandai is done with Macross Delta movie and basically completing the Vermillion and Skull Squadrons of VF-1's.

34 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! :lol: 

But seriously, I think 3 years in since it was revealed back in Oct 2019, it's safe to assume for now that this is on-hold or vaporware until Bandai is done with Macross Delta movie and basically completing the Vermillion and Skull Squadrons of VF-1's.

As long as we’re all speculating, Bandai could be saving this so that its release coincides with the WWM release of Macross Plus on blu-ray. Stranger things have happened…:unknw: