Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

41 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Just so you know that this is not the first time Bandai is going to ditched a good looking prototype. So good looking that people think that it's already good for production. There's a lot of figures that Bandai displayed before during said events but some of them didn't get produced. Seeing that the HMR Regults price syrocketed for an example due to demand, it's still weird why they didn't release the Scout Pod afterwards that was also displayed a few years ago. Same thing with the Tomahawk.

Anyways, still here's to hoping.

200.gif.6f9d21002fa74c860d016fe70ae46b4a.gif

Image result for Deflated Ball. Size: 143 x 100. Source: www.istockphoto.com

Aw man, I was riding an enthusiasm high.:(

24 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Huh forgot abt TN2021 summer...with all the promo's bandai did abt gundam etc, i had tot they abandoned the TN event....

Hopefully there is news abt the 21....TN 2021 is supposed to be end of this month?

Hmm a 21 in dec21 would sound nice hah.

tenor.gif

Hope restored!:lol:

27 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Image result for Deflated Ball. Size: 143 x 100. Source: www.istockphoto.com

Aw man, I was riding an enthusiasm high.:(

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's a bit deflating that the last post here, by me, was back in February, with Bandai a no-show with progress on this thing at Wonderfest.  Said lack of progress, or news of any kind does little to inspire hope.:(

Man, I really want a transforming YF-21 with a well-proportioned battroid. They could have just released the proto as shown, and it still would have looked miles better to me than the old Yamato.

You just went full circle there, @M'Kyuun. :rolleyes:;) 

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

It's the hope that kills you....

And also hope that renews...

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Just so you know that this is not the first time Bandai is going to ditched a good looking prototype. So good looking that people think that it's already good for production. There's a lot of figures that Bandai displayed before during said events but some of them didn't get produced. Seeing that the HMR Regults price syrocketed for an example due to demand, it's still weird why they didn't release the Scout Pod afterwards that was also displayed a few years ago. Same thing with the Tomahawk.

Anyways, still here's to hoping.

200.gif.6f9d21002fa74c860d016fe70ae46b4a.gif

That kid makes me think back when I was a kid watching these shows, Transformers, GI Joe, Robo...Macross, Voltron and then Macross Plus as a young adult hoping and praying that I'd get some really decent toys to bring these shows/characters to life.

And here we are some 20 years since Yamato burst onto the scene to Bandai making toys when they'd all but abandoned Macross. 

I don't even like the 21 that much, but I want one AND a VF-11. Plus (pun intended) they'll do it because there's money to be made.

-b.

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

That probably would sum up pre-order for the 21 if ever it arrives..

Well, hopefully by release time, Bandai will have figured out its strategy for marketing Macross in the West, and the days of the Midnight Madness will recede into dark history. That's overly optimistic, but hey, I can dream.

54 minutes ago, HayateAltoHunter said:

Still keeping my hopes up….YF-21 in 2021!!! Just makes too much sense for Bandai to not do it. But then again, that may be the very reason of why it won’t happen, too logical….

Or be pushed back until 2023. 🤐

If it's the lights you're concerned about, I think you needn't worry. Bandai haven't put lights in any of their DX toys, and I don't see why they'd start now. Electronics complicate the toy and drive up prices, and they seem content to eschew them, which is my preference as well.

If it's the Basara soundtrack, I don't want that with Any DX.🤮:lol:

I think @seti88 is being ironic and posting a reverse psychology meme. 😅 It would be brilliant to have more Valkyries with light-up features and/or a DX version of Gamlin’s VF-22S. 

The Fukuyama sound clips would be a treat too, but I wouldn’t want the sound unit built into the Valkyrie itself. Make the unit external like the SoC Space Battleship Yamato control pods. 

every time I see this thread on top of the list page makes me happy , but then it makes me sad :( 

So here is a picture of the DX YF 21 to criticize how small is the canopy looks and the rest of the body seems a kinda big 

065426C8-38E3-401B-895F-F112E5739B29.jpeg.7b71e7bb72e038adfb0fa115b4f2720b.jpeg

Found a total legit image of the canopy size redesign  for de XD 21, finally Bandai is listening to us :D 

image.png.8c338fdb94ad8ca10bf9c4095f35dc6e.png

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

^ Probably it's the fault of the camera's perspective. ;) 

Yeah, I'm looking at my Yamato's right now. At that angle the front section looks shorter. But if you go to Battroid they don't look like they're that different in size.

Just remember the Yamato’s cockpit pivots lower on the nosecone for battroid.

But the pics we’ve seen of the Bandai battroid don’t show that same feature.

. . . and because I like to :5::  FIX THE DAMN BELLYPLATES’ DESIGN!

14 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

If it's the lights you're concerned about, I think you needn't worry. Bandai haven't put lights in any of their DX toys, and I don't see why they'd start now. Electronics complicate the toy and drive up prices, and they seem content to eschew them, which is my preference as well.

Haha since bandai doesn’t give us what we want, am merely stating the reverse. Am ok with small light effects here and there, if it enhances the toy display. Yes it would have to be done properly so as not to interfere with the robustness of the toy. 

It would be a step up for bandai if they could do that. They already are upgrading their gundam PG/MG’s with the same.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:11 AM, M'Kyuun said:

I have a Soul of Chogokin Gipsy Danger that has lights, but yeah, the DX Chogokin line has never had them to my knowledge. Lights in the wings in a mass-produced transformable fighter would seem like they'd be a huge pain. GD had the benefit of being non-transformable. 

15 minutes ago, Rhubarbarian said:

I have a Soul of Chogokin Gipsy Danger that has lights, but yeah, the DX Chogokin line has never had them to my knowledge. Lights in the wings in a mass-produced transformable fighter would seem like they'd be a huge pain. GD had the benefit of being non-transformable. 

The Kitz Concept 1/72 VF-1 transforming Robotech figures have lights (but not in the wings), but frankly I'd rather they just be cheaper and not have them. Those things cost as much as a plain DX Chogokin VF-1 if you buy a superpack one.

but frankly I'd rather they just be cheaper and not have them. 

Same here. Honestly, it's a minor thing but I hate opening up the G. Danger to get to the batteries to remove them when I'm not going to be displaying the jaeger for a while, and then it's another thing floating around in my parts bin. The gimmick is never as cool as I want it to be to be worth the trouble/price.

My memory isn't great, but I remembering watching one of @jenius' videos and the Kitz Concept VF-1's lights were a huge pain to turn on and off, too. The access to the light has to be accessible but not visible and designers seem to struggle with that.

Edited by Rhubarbarian

If you could walk into where you have your toys displayed and click a remote that turn all of the LED's in all of the toys on I'd be all over some light effects. But to go through and turn everything on.......nope. And to store batteries in them long term......nope.

I have a bunch of toys with cool light effects. I've never put batteries in any of them.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

If you could walk into where you have your toys displayed and click a remote that turn all of the LED's in all of the toys on I'd be all over some light effects. But to go through and turn everything on.......nope. And to store batteries in them long term......nope.

I have a bunch of toys with cool light effects. I've never put batteries in any of them.

I have batteries in a few toys, but if I have my druthers, I'd prefer they keep electronics out of them. It's a pain to try and remember to remove the batteries for long term display.

15 hours ago, sqidd said:

Any toy made for display like these that have lights in them need to have proximity sensors and/or (at least) auto off function.  I have the big NECA Gypsy Danger and the lights sucked, took out the batteries immediately to keep them from leaking which is the other problem with electronics in these toys.  Wireless power is a thing now, just have it turn on with the base.  That X-base thing was cool but very expensive.  I like lights, but it can't just be something you just throw in as an afterthought with a switch and power.  I'd happily pay double if properly designed.

It's a shame they haven't developed an unobtrusive way to use solar power for toys that have electronics. I'm not a big fan of electronics in toys, as I just don't care about lights and sounds, and all the little wires are fragile points of failure, batteries leak, they raise the cost of toys, etc. No electronics means no worries beyond the standard loose joints, scratched paint, and stress cracks, which are enough of a headache with these pricey little gobs of plastic without throwing wiring issues or leaky batteries into the mix.

12 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's a shame they haven't developed an unobtrusive way to use solar power for toys that have electronics. I'm not a big fan of electronics in toys, as I just don't care about lights and sounds, and all the little wires are fragile points of failure, batteries leak, they raise the cost of toys, etc. No electronics means no worries beyond the standard loose joints, scratched paint, and stress cracks, which are enough of a headache with these pricey little gobs of plastic without throwing wiring issues or leaky batteries into the mix.

+1

42 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's a shame they haven't developed an unobtrusive way to use solar power for toys that have electronics.

But you absolutely don't want your toys anywhere near the sun.:acute:

53 minutes ago, sqidd said:

But you absolutely don't want your toys anywhere near the sun.:acute:

An excellent point. I wasn't even thinking of sun damage when I posted, but yeah, big no-no. Thinking laterally, what if they made a separate solar panel that ties into a base via a lengthy cord, which then plugs into said toy to achieve the electronic effects? You still get the effect, no batteries required, and the toy is safely out of Sol's fiery gaze. If they made that the standard for all toys with electronics, standardizing the connection points as well so the stands could be universal, it'd be a nice boon to the collectors market.  If only I was a wiz with electronics, but I'm not.

32 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I've seen a base that was powered and through some sort of magic lit up the LED's in the toy. Of course the toy would have to be made to wok with said base.

That's what I was talking about.  It's called the X-base system.  You have to buy tiny LEDs that work with it and each have their own independent power coils that pick up power from the base.  Pretty neat idea, but for one, the LEDs are 4.5mm cubes(ish) which are a bit big for all but larger body parts, and secondly, I'd hate to see the radiated emissions on that product.  I don't think it's licensed for sale in the US or anywhere else for that matter, and I highly doubt it would pass any emissions or regulatory testing.

19 minutes ago, Bullet_Sponge said:

Sqidd is correct

https://www.showzstore.com/gomo-wireless-led-lighting_p1850.html
(I have one of these and it works pretty well)

Wow, a cheap chinese knockoff of unregulated chinese product!  Or just a cheapo rebrand to sell off returns/cast offs of the orginal?  It's $76 vs $200 for the original.  In either case, I wouldn't want to put my hand anywhere near that thing when plugged in, especially since they don't advertise what frequencies they use.  There's very good reasons for regulatory and emissions testing.

Correction, looks like it's the typical chinese selling products that they make for the Japanese market at half the cost of the markup, so it's probably not an emissions disaster like I thought.  But I'm not familiar with Japanese regulatory.

Edited by Pontus

@Pontus
EXACTLY why I rarely ever use it ;)

Plus the range is pretty lousy.  I have to stand the Gundam figures almost against the back for it to work correctly.
And as you mentioned for safety purposes, I always keep it unplugged and only pull out the modded Gundam kit when I want to show people a nifty low effort upgrade.

BUT
it works!