Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

On 11/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, seti88 said:

I recall the 21 effects were mainly down to circular disks in the OVA?..i could be wrong....so maybe that could be the effects in that sense..

I recall of the same thing on the YF-21 during the fight with the Ghost. Revoltech featured that effect if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Never sure, but around mid-year during bandai's summer roadshow would be the next official bandai event..

No stopping them announcing earlier, but seems unlikely..

Thanks for the reply even if it’s a somber one. I want to stay off social media but my biggest fear is missing out  on this release and my Social media typically is the place I hear 1st about releases. Guess I’m just gonna have to stock these boards more.

10 minutes ago, Gojira101 said:

Thanks for the reply even if it’s a somber one. I want to stay off social media but my biggest fear is missing out  on this release and my Social media typically is the place I hear 1st about releases. Guess I’m just gonna have to stock these boards more.

2 minutes ago, Gojira101 said:

Thanks didn’t realize that’s an option. 

When you post a toggle will appear the the lower left corner. Or you can go to the top of the page and there is a way of opting in there.

• 2 months later...

Heyo, loooong time lurker on MW (like 15 - 20 years and counting). I don't post much, not very chatty I guess...lol.

Anyways just wondering if there was any news on what quarter this might be up for pre-order.  I have most of the Yammies, Bandai, Takatoku Macross/M+ stuff, along with Orguss, Mospeada, etc., and I have been trying to get these Chogokin DX's with no luck.  I just can't keep up on the news as much as I used to I guess, and the pre-orders are gone before I even know they are live.

I have pretty much given up and I can't bring myself to pay huge markups right after release.  But I don't want to miss out on this one especially.  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

8 hours ago, jubjub said:

Heyo, loooong time lurker on MW (like 15 - 20 years and counting). I don't post much, not very chatty I guess...lol.

Anyways just wondering if there was any news on what quarter this might be up for pre-order.  I have most of the Yammies, Bandai, Takatoku Macross/M+ stuff, along with Orguss, Mospeada, etc., and I have been trying to get these Chogokin DX's with no luck.  I just can't keep up on the news as much as I used to I guess, and the pre-orders are gone before I even know they are live.

I have pretty much given up and I can't bring myself to pay huge markups right after release.  But I don't want to miss out on this one especially.  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to MW, Jubjub. 

Even knowing the day and time of preorders opening, securing a new valk toy is challenging, as we must endure the 'midnight madness' ritual of standing by refreshing and re-refreshing all the online store sites hoping to nab one and get checked out within less than a minute, as these things are often sold out within seconds, literally. These things are serious scalper bait, and there are all sorts of a-holes out there with bots and other means to try and snap up all available stock. It sucks the joy out of what should be a fun and enjoyable hobby, but really, the whole toy market has become like this these days. It just sucks more with these b/c they're limited to Asian-only sales with pretty limited runs, so getting one is tough with all the competition.

Like a lot of Macross fans here, I'm very much looking forward to getting a replacement for my Yammie YF-21. That toy was too one sided for my liking; gorgeous fighter mode, but at the expense of the battroid, which is my preferred mode and how I like to display my figs. I'm hoping Bandai will be able to find a better balance between them, giving us a more proportional B-mode that looks good and can pose well. Judging from the early promo shots, I'd take it as is, but if they need time to refine the design, I'm good with that, too. As it relied heavily on 'anime magic' to realize the proportions ideally from one mode to the next, there's a certain amount of engineering required to try and duplicate that in three dimensions. I just hope the final product gives us a good Battroid, and that I can score one on PO night.:D

Hope to see you around more, Jubjub. 

15 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Welcome to MW, Jubjub. 

Even knowing the day and time of preorders opening, securing a new valk toy is challenging, as we must endure the 'midnight madness' ritual of standing by refreshing and re-refreshing all the online store sites hoping to nab one and get checked out within less than a minute, as these things are often sold out within seconds, literally. These things are serious scalper bait, and there are all sorts of a-holes out there with bots and other means to try and snap up all available stock. It sucks the joy out of what should be a fun and enjoyable hobby, but really, the whole toy market has become like this these days. It just sucks more with these b/c they're limited to Asian-only sales with pretty limited runs, so getting one is tough with all the competition.

Like a lot of Macross fans here, I'm very much looking forward to getting a replacement for my Yammie YF-21. That toy was too one sided for my liking; gorgeous fighter mode, but at the expense of the battroid, which is my preferred mode and how I like to display my figs. I'm hoping Bandai will be able to find a better balance between them, giving us a more proportional B-mode that looks good and can pose well. Judging from the early promo shots, I'd take it as is, but if they need time to refine the design, I'm good with that, too. As it relied heavily on 'anime magic' to realize the proportions ideally from one mode to the next, there's a certain amount of engineering required to try and duplicate that in three dimensions. I just hope the final product gives us a good Battroid, and that I can score one on PO night.:D

Hope to see you around more, Jubjub. 

Thanks M'Kyunn, it is appreciated.  I have been reading these threads off an on and have been trying to track when these things may become available with no luck. I guess I will just need to try harder and/or pony up some aftermarket tax if I really want to get these if Bandai continues with this business model.

I joined some FB groups as well so hopefully they will also help me in my quest for the elusive pre-order.  I am hoping that Bandai has just been releasing the VF-1 Valks, Super/Strike sets, and missle packs separate to keep the relative costs appear low, and will eventually release full sets at the combined price.  One can only hope I guess.

Anyways thanks again, cheers...

4 minutes ago, jubjub said:

Thanks M'Kyunn, it is appreciated.  I have been reading these threads off an on and have been trying to track when these things may become available with no luck. I guess I will just need to try harder and/or pony up some aftermarket tax if I really want to get these if Bandai continues with this business model.

I joined some FB groups as well so hopefully they will also help me in my quest for the elusive pre-order.  I am hoping that Bandai has just been releasing the VF-1 Valks, Super/Strike sets, and missle packs separate to keep the relative costs appear low, and will eventually release full sets at the combined price.  One can only hope I guess.

Anyways thanks again, cheers...

No worries, Jubjub. Folks are pretty helpful around here, especially when it comes to trying to get our beloved toys. Moreover, in an ocean of sites where anger and chaos seem to reign, this site has maintained its sanity and decency, minus a few tiffs here and there, since I joined back in the early 00's.  I wouldn't have my little Macross collection without the help and info that folks here have provided over the years.  It's been a good home.

I haven't followed the releases of the Bandai VF-1s, so I'm not the best guy to ask. There's a separate thread for it, so that would be your best bet if you have questions. Good luck.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

It's a bit deflating that the last post here, by me, was back in February, with Bandai a no-show with progress on this thing at Wonderfest.  Said lack of progress, or news of any kind does little to inspire hope.:(

Man, I really want a transforming YF-21 with a well-proportioned battroid. They could have just released the proto as shown, and it still would have looked miles better to me than the old Yamato.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's a bit deflating that the last post here, by me, was back in February, with Bandai a no-show with progress on this thing at Wonderfest.  Said lack of progress, or news of any kind does little to inspire hope.:(

Man, I really want a transforming YF-21 with a well-proportioned battroid. They could have just released the proto as shown, and it still would have looked miles better to me than the old Yamato.

I know there have been different iterations of that particular Valk design but is it that popular?  I kinda like it but not enough to purchase one.

33 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

I know there have been different iterations of that particular Valk design but is it that popular?  I kinda like it but not enough to purchase one.

Can’t speak for its overall popularity but IMO it’s probably one of the more interesting Valks I’ve seen. I’d go as far as to purchase two, to display in different modes. So I’m in that camp who is disappointed that this hasn’t come out yet. 

23 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

It's lower on my list of favorite valks to be sure, but hailing from Macross Plus,  probably my favorite of the Macross series, and with its YF-23 inspiration, I definitely have a soft spot for it. Too, with the integration of Zentaedi Quaedluun Rau elements, it's unique amongst the library of valks for so prominently incorporating them, as the YF-21 complements its half-Zentraedi pilot.

The YF-21 relies , more than most, on a lot of animation magic to change the proportions of various elements to present a more ideal look depending on mode. It's one of the most challenging valks for toy/model makers due to this fact. That and the stupid belly plates are the things I most dislike about it.  So, I was pretty impressed with how well the battroid and fighter modes looked on that proto- far more balanced than the Yamato, which absolutely favored the fighter mode. To its credit, Yamato made a beautiful fighter, but at great expense to the battroid. I'm a battroid guy, so it didn't sit well with me, although I bought a copy b/c it was the best version of the YF-21 to exist at the time. Kinda still is, unfortunately. But the unstable and disproportionally skinny legs bugged me so much that I finally took it off display and put it back in its box years ago. So now there's a hole that needs to be filled, and since I display my valks in battroid, I want a nice looking 21 to round out the M+ crew.

I'll also mention that along with giving their B-mode well proportioned legs, Bandai also foreshortened the belly plates in B-mode so that they're more flattering and less in the way. Hope that stays if Bandai intends to release a 1/60 YF-21. Seems they've already done a fair bit of work, with a full on transforming proto, so it'd be a shame to throw away all that investment.

You guys! You made me click this thread. I thought there's a new 'news' for this one. Hehehe. :lol: 

Anyways, let's photo reminisce for a little bit. Photos from 2019. :rolleyes:

73130483_2455510624540904_8958256968531705856_n.jpg.a99d628559cfc25915eae0eb275e27ee.jpg

73375626_2455510741207559_7544559072779960320_n.jpg.ad620a58d4f2df2451880f52e414f1b9.jpg

73072812_2455510677874232_4092073083886632960_n.jpg.63861d04688376c46d79b0551ca8b71a.jpg

73321908_2455510807874219_7506065668907728896_n.jpg.3cc88b178fe925103f485b56ca9b8c34.jpg

This year's Tamashii Nation show is once again around the corner. So hopefully we get to see something new for the YF-21 and not just Delta movie-centric.

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It's lower on my list of favorite valks to be sure, but hailing from Macross Plus,  probably my favorite of the Macross series, and with its YF-23 inspiration, I definitely have a soft spot for it. Too, with the integration of Zentaedi Quaedluun Rau elements, it's unique amongst the library of valks for so prominently incorporating them, as the YF-21 complements its half-Zentraedi pilot.

The YF-21 relies , more than most, on a lot of animation magic to change the proportions of various elements to present a more ideal look depending on mode. It's one of the most challenging valks for toy/model makers due to this fact. That and the stupid belly plates are the things I most dislike about it.  So, I was pretty impressed with how well the battroid and fighter modes looked on that proto- far more balanced than the Yamato, which absolutely favored the fighter mode. To its credit, Yamato made a beautiful fighter, but at great expense to the battroid. I'm a battroid guy, so it didn't sit well with me, although I bought a copy b/c it was the best version of the YF-21 to exist at the time. Kinda still is, unfortunately. But the unstable and disproportionally skinny legs bugged me so much that I finally took it off display and put it back in its box years ago. So now there's a hole that needs to be filled, and since I display my valks in battroid, I want a nice looking 21 to round out the M+ crew.

I'll also mention that along with giving their B-mode well proportioned legs, Bandai also foreshortened the belly plates in B-mode so that they're more flattering and less in the way. Hope that stays if Bandai intends to release a 1/60 YF-21. Seems they've already done a fair bit of work, with a full on transforming proto, so it'd be a shame to throw away all that investment.

It definitely has a unique look overall.  I think I like fighter mode the best.  Seeing the proto photos from Bandai, I would agree that it's probably the best Battroid version I've seen yet.  It's starting to grow on me.  

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

You guys! You made me click this thread. I thought there's a new 'news' for this one. Hehehe. :lol: 

Anyways, let's photo reminisce for a little bit. Photos from 2019. :rolleyes:

73130483_2455510624540904_8958256968531705856_n.jpg.a99d628559cfc25915eae0eb275e27ee.jpg

73375626_2455510741207559_7544559072779960320_n.jpg.ad620a58d4f2df2451880f52e414f1b9.jpg

73072812_2455510677874232_4092073083886632960_n.jpg.63861d04688376c46d79b0551ca8b71a.jpg

73321908_2455510807874219_7506065668907728896_n.jpg.3cc88b178fe925103f485b56ca9b8c34.jpg

This year's Tamashii Nation show is once again around the corner. So hopefully we get to see something new for the YF-21 and not just Delta movie-centric.

Yeah, that's beautiful. Just release this, and take my money.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'll be happy so long as the battroid form is good. I already have the Yamato for fighter mode, but the Battroid is not great. If compromizes have to be made, I'd rather it excel where the Yamato is lacking.

Parts-forming then. :rolleyes:;)

25 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

By the time this comes out it'll be time for a DX Renewal YF-19 😅

-b.

Nooooo!!! :shok:

46 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Parts-forming then. :rolleyes:;)

Nooooo!!! :shok:

Fine, fine - at least a reissue (with new or preferably less markings 😁).

34 minutes ago, aurance said:

ARRRGH hopes... destroyed 😭

There's always hope...

-b.

I'm still in that spot where I want the arms longer and beefier on the 21.. there is just so much room at the back end, and they could easily extend them, and thicken them up so they don't look so whimpy.. and stretch the wings further back too for that matter, since they don't even interact with anything else.

There is hope! This proto exists; it's not a render. It's been exhibited at least once at some event, otherwise these pics wouldn't exist. In my mind, that's justification enough to know that Bandai have given serious thought and effort into designing this rather troublesome valk in a transformable toy form. Perhaps they're still working out bugs; there were criticisms on this board following the release of the pics initially, and they likely have their own nitpicks with the design internally. Plus, the pandemic may have stalled progress for a time. But, they know, just as the fans know, that there's a need for a more balanced YF-21 toy that appeals to both fighter and battroid camps. Of all the valks, this one poses the greatest challenge due to how Kawamori designed the legs, and cheated the ever living sh!t out of the design on paper to make it look good across all modes. I can deal with a slightly fatter fighter with a slightly stubbier nose if that means the battroid has more complimentary proportions. This proto looks amazing to me; it's not egregiously compromising the fighter mode to achieve a really good looking battroid; no mean feat.

Anyway, knowing that they've invested this far into a YF-21 toy makes no sense if they don't look to carrying it to fruition. There's demand, and they've already done the YF-19, so within their own toy library, there's a hole that needs filling.

25 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still in that spot where I want the arms longer and beefier on the 21.. there is just so much room at the back end, and they could easily extend them, and thicken them up so they don't look so whimpy.. and stretch the wings further back too for that matter, since they don't even interact with anything else.

Like I said, fan nitpicks; hopefully they're taking their time to work these things out. Since there's no movie or tv show whose schedule they need to meet, they have the luxury of time to work out the kinks, and hopefully that's what they're doing. It would be nice, though, if they'd throw the fans a bone, even a little one, to keep hope and excitement up for this. Social media is a fantastic and free medium for companies to gauge demand and interest in their wares. Bandai should put something out on FB, Twitter, etc about this thing and then sit back and watch the reaction. I'm betting it'd be good overall. Even critiques like yours indicate a level of interest and given enough common complaints, lets them know where to concentrate improvements. It's free QC. :)

Edited by M'Kyuun

12 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

<snip>

Anyway, knowing that they've invested this far into a YF-21 toy makes no sense if they don't loo to carrying it to fruition. there's demand, and they've already done the YF-19, so within their own toy library, there's hole that needs filling.

<snip>

Just so you know that this is not the first time Bandai is going to ditched a good looking prototype. So good looking that people think that it's already good for production. There's a lot of figures that Bandai displayed before during said events but some of them didn't get produced. Seeing that the HMR Regults price syrocketed for an example due to demand, it's still weird why they didn't release the Scout Pod afterwards that was also displayed a few years ago. Same thing with the Tomahawk.

Anyways, still here's to hoping.

200.gif.6f9d21002fa74c860d016fe70ae46b4a.gif

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Huh forgot abt TN2021 summer...with all the promo's bandai did abt gundam etc, i had tot they abandoned the TN event....

Hopefully there is news abt the 21....TN 2021 is supposed to be end of this month?

Hmm a 21 in dec21 would sound nice hah.

Edited by seti88