Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

I guess I'm in good company, then. Thank you, fellas.

I also concur that Yamato's YF-21 will likely never be outdone for its fighter mode. It's a thing of beauty, but of course, the legs paid a heavy penalty for that thin sleek fighter mode. I'm also of the opinion that a few mm of additional girth to give it thicker legs would have helped the look of B and G modes. Alas, it wasn't to be. But the -21 has a second chance with Bandai, and I hope that it stays fairly close to the proto we've seen, at least so far as the basic proportionality of the Battroid mode. Hopefully, too, it'll have nice tight joints throughout so that it 's solid when posing.

What's actually kind of frustrating to me is that while I don't really like the fighter mode, it's not about it being too thick... it's about Bandai hiking the intakes up to the nosecone like Steve Urkel.  The thickness was fine, and the smaller belly plates look good, but the entire plane just looked unbalanced.  It's possible that it's due to bad camera angles, but it just looks so awkwardly proportioned.  I'm sad no one got any good angles of it to say one way or another.

Sticking with the Urkel comparison though, the battroid arms look pathetically tiny in every shot I've seen.  They've got no meat on them, and it ruins any sort of design lineage from the Q-Rau the YF-21 theoretically has.  

The only thing I thought was actually improved on that design was the thickness of the legs.  The rest.. just didn't look good.  Maybe a fitting word would be "adequate?"  I don't know.  It just gave me the impression that the entire thing was designed to give it thicker legs, at the cost of every other proportion being skewed until the trade-off was just too costly.

Edited by Chronocidal

43 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I guess I'm in good company, then. Thank you, fellas.

I also concur that Yamato's YF-21 will likely never be outdone for its fighter mode. It's a thing of beauty, but of course, the legs paid a heavy penalty for that thin sleek fighter mode. I'm also of the opinion that a few mm of additional girth to give it thicker legs would have helped the look of B and G modes. Alas, it wasn't to be. But the -21 has a second chance with Bandai, and I hope that it stays fairly close to the proto we've seen, at least so far as the basic proportionality of the Battroid mode. Hopefully, too, it'll have nice tight joints throughout so that it 's solid when posing.

I figured since I alreday have cough, cough four YF-21's (I love the 21!) I would get two Bandai's. One for Battroid and one for Gerwalk and keep the Yamato's for Fighter.

The Yamato I have in Battroid I put on a YetiStand "flying" because the legs just suck.:p

Plus.thumb.jpg.173215e4d7b0fbe07c5eee79d3c5aa24.jpg

@monkeyface really nailed it with this post from a year ago.  Fixing the angle and lengthening the end of the hip guards could go a long way to improving the look.

Plus, it doesn't help that the bellyplate that becomes the hip guard is yellow trimmed, while the bellyplate that connects to the backpack is grey trimmed.  Makes the separation way too obvious.

The old prototype had about 2/3 of the bellyplate becoming hip guards and 1/3 of the bellyplate becoming backpack;  I'd rather the proportion be 3/4 hip guards and 1/4 backpack.  But the "monkeyface" tweak below works too.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:10 AM, monkeyface said:

Loving this design but some things were rubbing me the wrong way. Did some drawovers/photoshop on things I feel like would make this look better.  I feel like these are reasonable adjustments that should be able to happen.

1. Hide the hinge on rear stabilizers like the Yamato by following line art.  Seriously nobody wants to see a hinge there  

2. Match the angles on the belly doors closer to line art

3.thicken up shoulders and upper arms 

4.curve back of ankles more to look less like a Clydesdale 

5. Add some wing  hard points for missiles

6. Bigger hands like Uncle Jack

7. Wider nose like Yamato. 

8. Lose yellow lines on Lowe legs. Just feels a bit much IMO

9. Rear engine not as tall in profile  

Anyways hopefully some of you agree with me. This is my favorite jet and this crap needs to be perfect.

549F6E50-7481-4D52-9C11-7C7BAD8E17C3.jpeg

8CB3A865-0C3B-4E55-85D0-D9D71ED2FBC7.jpeg

B4A34124-A473-4E07-8563-B9B4C64B00CF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Man I miss Mac Plus. I would love to have a nice transfer like that....That was gorgeous! Also, Isamu and Guld are sociopaths that have a LOT to answer for. They demolished part of a city and potentially killed how many people over their squabble. ;)

Chris

Now here is another question that I like to ask for the eventual DX YF-21.

Is there a good possibility that the power punch effects from the YF-19 Full Set will fit the YF-21 if Bandai doesn't include them? I can't see Bandai not including it on the DX YF-21 but who knows?? :unknw: 

Edited by borgified

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Is there a good possibility that the power punch effects from the YF-19 Full Set will fit the YF-21 if Bandai doesn't include them? I can't see Bandai not including it on the DX YF-21 but who knows?? :unknw: 

One can only assume as long that there's enough clearance for the effect parts not hitting the rear wing stabilizers.

YF-19 photo courtesy of @jenius Anymoon site.

Bandai-VF-19Advance-19.jpg

EHo3kpxUwAAkIbz.jpg

37 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Was that necessary?:unknw:

Apologies if you got offended. I didn’t mean you no harm. :hi: I’m just saying to each his own because you like what you’re seeing. Whereas some, including me, is still not 100% happy with it. That’s all. 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:04 AM, Mog said:

Bringing back all the feels.

Nice find. :good:

:drinks:

On 11/24/2020 at 5:25 AM, derex3592 said:

amazing video transfer there! Best I've ever seen Plus look. 

Am not sure if there is an Artificial Intelligence software (?) that upscales them. There is an AI title in amongst the description.

I was blown away when i saw it on my HDR PC monitor.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:17 AM, davidwhangchoi said:

kinda sad the subtitles are not 4k quality:mellow:

Haha next gen of subtitles will involve smiley faces and moving shaking fonts like when isamu shouts yahoo! :lol:

14 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I guess the original images just aren't "HD" enough these days.....:rolleyes:

Those scans are the ultimate HD...and priced equivalent to a DX valk? 
Would be beautiful framed up and displayed next to a DX...alas will leave cel collecting for the experts...

13 hours ago, borgified said:

You should say you don't want any effect parts, cos you know, bandai never listens to their customers...

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

One can only assume as long that there's enough clearance for the effect parts not hitting the rear wing stabilizers.

YF-19 photo courtesy of @jenius Anymoon site.

I recall the 21 effects were mainly down to circular disks in the OVA?..i could be wrong....so maybe that could be the effects in that sense..

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

I don't care what anyone says, I think it looks great! If Fighter is too fat............that's what Yamato's are for.

I love the beefy battroid. The legs sit a bit far up the torso if compared to the lineart, but no biggie, if it projects a bruiser battroid nicely!

Fighter is also gorgeous to me, it feels like a heavy duty bomber/interceptor in contrast to the sleek/built for speed yf-19. 

Edited by seti88

On 11/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, DYRL VF-1S said:

I do hope you’re wrong though! :shok:

Same here, I was so happy to see the prototype shown off... It just feels weird only having the YF-19. I can't stand the skinny Yamato legs, so I'm happy the Bandai version is beefier proportionally. 

On 11/24/2020 at 2:56 PM, sqidd said:

I don't care what anyone says, I think it looks great! If Fighter is too fat............that's what Yamato's are for.

EHo3kpxUwAAkIbz.jpg

+1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, jenius said:

Looks like vaporware any way...

Oh, I hope not. They expended the time ,effort, and finances to make this proto, so I'm optimistic that it will lead to a production toy eventually. Not everybody is happy with Yamato's version, and I think that has to have some influence on their design direction here. Too, it means sales to those wanting a better battroid.

1 hour ago, leeboo1211 said:

Same here, I was so happy to see the prototype shown off... It just feels weird only having the YF-19. I can't stand the skinny Yamato legs, so I'm happy the Bandai version is beefier proportionally. 

Case in point!  Absolutely agree.

10 hours ago, leeboo1211 said:

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Case in point!  Absolutely agree.

Ditto!