Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

On 7/4/2020 at 2:52 AM, TrickyCustomer said:

My Yamato version arrived today. Just waiting on a flightpose stand for it.

You might want to take that Guld figure out, rather than leaving him against the seat; the PVC plastic is known to react with the paint on the figure -- and that of the painted seat -- and you may find Guld stuck to the seat before you know it.  Trying to remove him afterwards will likely cause damage to both painted surfaces.  Best to just leave him in the box, if you're planning on posing the YF-21 in flight.

56 minutes ago, tekering said:

You might want to take that Guld figure out, rather than leaving him against the seat; the PVC plastic is known to react with the paint on the figure -- and that of the painted seat -- and you may find Guld stuck to the seat before you know it.  Trying to remove him afterwards will likely cause damage to both painted surfaces.  Best to just leave him in the box, if you're planning on posing the YF-21 in flight.

OOOOOO, need to check mine! Thanks!:good:

All three had Guld in there.:shok:

Edited by sqidd

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Do the same issues apply to the pvc figures in Arcadia/Yammie 1/60 or DX chogokin line? Cos i like to leave the pilots i  their cockpit for completion reasons

21 minutes ago, recon said:

Do the same issues apply to the pvc figures in Arcadia/Yammie 1/60 or DX chogokin line? Cos i like to leave the pilots i  their cockpit for completion reasons

I've had that issue with the yamato VF-1S hikaru 1/48. But only that one. My other copy of the same valk doesn't have that issue. Mind you i haven't checked in a couple of years. I'll have to recheck all my valks. I wasn't even aware it was an issue with the yf-21 1/60.

12 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I've had that issue with the yamato VF-1S hikaru 1/48. But only that one. My other copy of the same valk doesn't have that issue. Mind you i haven't checked in a couple of years. I'll have to recheck all my valks. I wasn't even aware it was an issue with the yf-21 1/60.

As someone who spends a lot of their time (professionally) identifying variables and eliminating them I see a LOT of variables in pilots sticking to seats.

-UV light

-Temperature (or fluctuations in temp)

-Humidity

-Off gassing from the shelves they are on

-Etc, etc, etc

I'm not suggesting for a second it can't be as simple as a reaction between the materials/paint chosen by the toy manufacturer. Only that it's not even close to the only variable.

Edited by sqidd

@myk Definitely glad to have one in my possession again. i sold my first one awhile back and regretted it.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Thanks @tekering for the advice! Appreciate it.  I will definitely be sure to store Guld back in the box then. Yes look forward displaying all 3 with the flight pose stands. I won't be transforming them, as I will cheat and use the yamato GN-U Dou figures to display the battroid modes.

1 minute ago, TrickyCustomer said:

@myk Definitely glad to have one in my possession again. i sold my first one awhile back and regretted it.

Thanks @tekering for the advice! Appreciate it.  I will definitely be sure to store Guld back in the box then. Yes look forward displaying all 3 with the flight pose stands. I won't be transforming them, as I will cheat and use the yamato GN-U Dou figures to display the battroid modes.

The transformation isn't THAT bad.:D

Just another though if anyone wants to leave the pilots inside for display:

Cut a small sheet of parachment/wax paper (used for baking stuff in the oven) and place it between the seat and pilot so it doesn't  stick on the seat.

If you want to make your planes extra realistic, then why not broil them till they go extra crispy, charred and has that smokey scent when you open the display case up. :lol:

Edit: Re worded post after so many hours later. 

Edited by borgified

The good thing about the Guld figure and the Yammy 1/60 is that the cockpit rotates so that Guld is facing out in battroid mode (instead of down toward the ground).

1 hour ago, Alex GS said:

Will this be a mayhem PO like Roy ?, nahhh it will be a walk in the park :ph34r:

Will see how this goes during pre-order madness and for sure another round of the drinking game.  

4 hours ago, borgified said:

Just another though if anyone wants to leave the pilots inside for display:

Cut a small sheet of parachment/wax paper (used for baking stuff in the oven. If you want to make your planes extra realistic, then why not broil them till they go extra crispy, charred and has that smokey scent when you open the display case up. :lol:) and put it between the seat and the pilot.  

Is this to prevent the pilot from sticking to the seat or for the smell?

1 hour ago, Guyffon said:

Is this to prevent the pilot from sticking to the seat or for the smell?

For the pilot sticking to the seat.

If you want to go further and add detail to the craft, then follow the rest if the steps correct? ;)

• 2 months later...

Last word on it was that kawamori-san and tenjin-san saw the 3rd(?) draft of the prototype and requested another review.

That was a year ago before the world took a giant sickleave. 

If there was any progress, some news would probably leak from now till end Oct next month...

However on release dates, i cant remember if bandai has PO's open during November/December. If they dont, then the only probable PO annoucement this year would be next week-ish at the beginning of Oct.

Edited by seti88

I'm already a fan of what's been shown. I'm a battroid guy, so that's how I display all my Macross valks, and honestly, the Yammie YF-21 just didn't do it for me with its super skinny legs. It looks wonky and disproportionate, and that's why it shall remain in its box for perpetuity. It has a gorgeous fighter mode, which I appreciate. But for the next toy, I'd like to see more balance between fighter and battroid, which means, unless they work some crazy origami magic in there, the fighter's going to suffer a little for a better looking battroid. As I said, they could release the proto that they've shown, and I'd be totally down for it. But, I'm willing to give them the time to work out the various challenges to bring it to an equal standing with their YF-19/VF-19 Advance. I hope they can achieve a sleek fighter that transforms into a well-proportioned battroid- best of both worlds.

8 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'm already a fan of what's been shown. I'm a battroid guy, so that's how I display all my Macross valks, and honestly, the Yammie YF-21 just didn't do it for me with its super skinny legs. It looks wonky and disproportionate, and that's why it shall remain in its box for perpetuity. It has a gorgeous fighter mode, which I appreciate. But for the next toy, I'd like to see more balance between fighter and battroid, which means, unless they work some crazy origami magic in there, the fighter's going to suffer a little for a better looking battroid. As I said, they could release the proto that they've shown, and I'd be totally down for it. But, I'm willing to give them the time to work out the various challenges to bring it to an equal standing with their YF-19/VF-19 Advance. I hope they can achieve a sleek fighter that transforms into a well-proportioned battroid- best of both worlds.

Well, Bandai is known for having great looking Battroid modes while still keeping good looking fighters. Wanna see some "crazy origami magic" legs? Check out the masterpiece Laserwave and Megatron figures. If Takara can do it, why not Bandai?

30 Second Mark 

1:30 

18 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Well, Bandai is known for having great looking Battroid modes while still keeping good looking fighters. Wanna see some "crazy origami magic" legs? Check out the masterpiece Laserwave and Megatron figures. If Takara can do it, why not Bandai?

30 Second Mark 

1:30 

Please no panel formers for Macross! There is nothing I hate more that what I consider lazy transformations that involve endless folding...especially when it gets to the point that it defeats the reason a character looks the way it a because you can fold anything to look like anything if you keep folding it enough. FWIW, MP Shockwave had a decent transformation. I haven’t even attempted MP Megatron’s transformation yet and I busted out laughing at how ridiculous MP Prime’s transformation is. 

32 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Please no panel formers for Macross! There is nothing I hate more that what I consider lazy transformations that involve endless folding...especially when it gets to the point that it defeats the reason a character looks the way it a because you can fold anything to look like anything if you keep folding it enough. FWIW, MP Shockwave had a decent transformation. I haven’t even attempted MP Megatron’s transformation yet and I busted out laughing at how ridiculous MP Prime’s transformation is. 

Agreed. No panel forming for Macross.

I have always considered there being a sophisticated and elegant transition between modes. From Fighter to Battroid the both forma are unique and do a great service to keep them distinct. 

Or at least this is what I think of for any transforming Macross mecha. 

3 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Agreed. No panel forming for Macross.

I have always considered there being a sophisticated and elegant transition between modes. From Fighter to Battroid the both forma are unique and do a great service to keep them distinct. 

Or at least this is what I think of for any transforming Macross mecha. 

Agree! FWIW, I feel this way about any transforming mecha/robot/toy. If something is a foldformer, it pretty much defeats its purpose for existence imo. WTF does Optimus Prime need to have smokestacks on his arms, windows on his chest, a grille for abs, etc it everything just folds away anyways? Yes, it’s all fantasy but I’d prefer things to transform in a way that makes sense for it to need the different forms and in a way that seems somewhat feasible or realistic to how it would if it really existed.

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Agree! FWIW, I feel this way about any transforming mecha/robot/toy. If something is a foldformer, it pretty much defeats its purpose for existence imo. WTF does Optimus Prime need to have smokestacks on his arms, windows on his chest, a grille for abs, etc it everything just folds away anyways? Yes, it’s all fantasy but I’d prefer things to transform in a way that makes sense for it to need the different forms and in a way that seems somewhat feasible or realistic to how it would if it really existed.

Well, to your point I see what mean. But with regards to Transformers that has always been the most notable characteristic of their transition from vehicle to robot mode. It is there to remind you it’s still a vehicle. 

With all the newer MPs it all about parts forming and it is quite excessive. I like the fact that it accomplishes a great goal to have a balance between modes but it totally off putting knowing this is how it has to be done.

Still I like MPs for what they achieve.

The more panel forming you add on Macross stuff, the issues of breakage will happen. 

Bandai can take their time and refine the DX YF-21. The more pressure you give to a company in meeting the deadline, the possibility of more f**** ups its going to have and things are not going to be running smoothly.

Besides that, Hasbro been taking my money this week due to stuff that's been announced. 

I agree with the no panel forming to a point. The latest spate of MP figs go overboard with it. But done to a minimal degree to allow for a large area to become thinner, as in the YF-21's lower legs, I wouldn't take issue at all if the lower legs utilized some origami to thin them out for fighter, similar to how MP-36's legs thin out for gun mode. It would be a compromise that benefits both modes, and for the sake of balance, I think it's most acceptable. 

Comparing the YF-19 to the YF-21 is an unfair comparison; there's far less anime magic involved with the 19, as it's design doesn't really require it. The greatest challenge was how to shorten the neck of the plane into the squat torso for battroid, and Yamato figured that out over a decade ago with a fairly simple solution. The moving hip bar helped as well. The 21, by contrast, has to squeeze rather large and bulbous legs into a shallow compartment that's too small to realistically accommodate them. Even in his line art, Kawamori cheats this by shrinking the legs in their bays to make them fit. In battroid, the entire forward fuselage shrinks noticeably to present a more proportionally ideal torso. It's simply not a practical design. Each mode of the 21 is drawn ideally, more than most of his designs, with little regard to realistic proportionality. It's a tough nut to crack for a toy maker. I think the belly panels add an additional hurdle to overcome when translating the 21 to a physical model. If he'd just had them extend down to the knees conformally and let the lower legs hang out and naturally form the lower aft section of the plane, there'd be one less challenge to overcome. True, the plane wouldn't have offered as sleek a profile , but the YF-21 is the closest Kawamori has come to a shell-forming Valk. I've never liked the belly panels, and was actually pleased to see them foreshortened on the Bandai prototype. It makes more sense to me to have them smaller and less in the way of the legs during combat. I realize I'm in the minority opinion, but that's how I've always felt.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/yf-21/yf-21-transformation1.gif

Edited by M'Kyuun

3 minutes ago, borgified said:

The more panel forming you add on Macross stuff, the issues of breakage will happen. 

Aye. The whole back of the fighter breaks apart into panels to create the bot mode torso so some panels are necessary, but making things too complicated creates an added delicacy. The worry, for me anyway, is that Bandai starts back down the path that gave use the VF-171 DX triangles.

*shivers*

Obviously within reason, I think the 21 should absolutely be a panel former. It's already the most shell-former of all Macross Valkyrie designs and there's an in universe excuse for how the proportions shift so much by saying the surface was actually bendy. While yeah, you would hope they'd do it well, I would be okay with the 21 relying on a fair amount of panel forming. 

Out of the several Macross jets that we have on the horizon, this is going to be one that I would like to know more about, have updated prototype pictures of and to know the release date and price of this.  This design has always had a place in my heart as a mecha lover and it is one of the more unique designs that breaks with the traditional mold for Variable Fighter design, ala SV-262

Twich

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Obviously within reason, I think the 21 should absolutely be a panel former. It's already the most shell-former of all Macross Valkyrie designs and there's an in universe excuse for how the proportions shift so much by saying the surface was actually bendy. While yeah, you would hope they'd do it well, I would be okay with the 21 relying on a fair amount of panel forming. 

I agree. If you want good fighter and battroid you need some origami like new Legioss by Sentinel

Some panel forming is acceptable especially if it is part of the original intended design. My hate for panel forming comes from the Transformers that fold so much, they no longer need to resemble anything they were originally designed to be because they could be anything after being folded that much. Might as well just have a bunch of Mandalorians that transform into Red Semi Trucks, sports cars and F-15s.:lol:

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm in no real rush to see this one happen, because I want it to be brought up to the same level as the YF-19 before I pull the trigger on one.  The prototype they had just didn't look right.

So you're saying you want to wait until Bandai leverls it up with their YF-19 by adding in the stabilizers popping it out on its own when you look at it, the broken antennae out of the box, and the misfitting FPs in fighter-mode?

:bump: