Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

The leg placement also impacts the perception about the arms.

The legs are higher up on the Bandai torso and lower on the Yamato.

The Yamato arms would look like gorilla arms on the Bandai.

And given that this is a Q-Rau derivative, the higher leg placement might be more “correct.”

Edited by Mog
Because iPhone's spell check is stupid and doesn't know that Q-Rau should NOT be corrected as Q-Ray.

Don’t get me wrong:  the Bandai arms could be made a little beefier/thicc-er.

But the question becomes:  how bigger can you make them without impacting the look of fighter mode?

Oh those fun design compromises!

That's specifically what's baffling me, actually.  The curved panels covering the hands on the Bandai version are nearly as long as the entire arm.  Are the legs truly so honking huge that they can't trade any of that space on the inside to give the arms a bit more bulk?

It's going to be an interesting compromise to see either way, I just hope the final product balances out the design better than that early prototype, and gets closer to that Hi-Metal promotional image from years ago.

That whole back third of the fighter mode and bellyplates seems to be where most of the design choices don’t make much logical sense, right now.

I’m guessing the extra space is most likely for the legs and feet (probably since the feet point away from each other?).

But without seeing Gerwalk mode, I can’t say whether or not this design choice is an improvement or not.  Just very different.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, Reïvaj said:

After the cool comparison pics @valharyposted, I've been fiddling around with some other photos and Photoshop and came up with these ones for you guys to enjoy...

YF-21 DX-Yamato Comparison_1.jpg

More pics to come later...

Credits to @valhary, @jenius (Anymoon.com), @Actar and MMM.

Thanks for this cross-section!

But are we sure that it's the right/actual size between the Bandai and the Yamato?

I guess the Bandai YF-21 IS actualy bigger. The head is too small, the nosecone is too short, the intakes are also smaller (all compared to the Yamato).

The pic of the Yamato is focusing around the nosecone area making the legs appear shorter.

All in all it's good enough to spot the differences in design between both companies.

The YF-21 is my favorite Macross design, it's up there in the top 1 with the VF-1. I need to see more pics to make a better judgement.

We're not sure to be honest what's the actual size for the Bandai compared to the Yamato. I think the image is just for referencing between the two from feet to the antenna and to show the differences from one brand to the other.

So I did a quick mock-up as a reference based on the photos I've found online just to see how big this DX YF-21 compared to Yamato's YF-21 using the DX YF-19 beside it.

dx_yf21_yf19_yamato_yf21.jpg.a1009699eb8f8d4b3bcfaede414d7e5d.jpg

This one below, I moved the YF-21 up a little bit and line it with YF-19's feet area since they were displayed side by side.

dx_yf21_yf19.jpg.60c183c8123784968f9d7c7438c85515.jpg

Anyways, at this point even though we've seen the prototype not knowing all the actual details, all we can do is speculate. So far, I really like what I'm seeing to have this one displayed along side the DX YF-19. However, I don't mind all those tampos on it except for those big 'General Galaxy' and too much yellow stripes on the belly plates. And speaking of belly plates, I don't like the way they make it shorter by sliding or folding the bottom portion of it. Not to mention the thin arms.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

And speaking of belly plates, I don't like the way they make it shorter by sliding or folding the bottom portion of it. Not to mention the thin arms.

The back third of the bellyplates gets somehow folded into battroid backpack assembly.

There’s pics where we can see it peeking out in battroid mode.

I’ve been “bellyaching” about that design choice for months, as it’s an inelegant choice that adds unnecessary kibble to the Gerwalk mode.

If those parts flipped over and snapped into the backpack to reveal ventral thrusters for Gerwalk, I might be okay with the choice.

But the proportions for which bellyplate section becomes hip guards and which goes with the backpack are way off.

I'm happy they are making it, but the more I see of this the happier I am that I picked up a Yamato, especially if the DX comes out looking anything like that.  Why tf are the legs attached in the armpits?  I bet it's to make gerwalk more stable, but battroid isn't going to work well.  At least not if you want the legs to go back in any way.  And why does it need working rudders?  Knowing Bandai, they'll fall off at the slightest touch.  Also the Yammie did a fair job of allowing head movement, but the DX looks like the intakes are in the way.

Also, as long as we're baggin on Bandai, who did they get to pose these things at the convention?  I would think that would have been a priority, but it appears they didn't bother positioning the shoulder flaps or the wings properly on the 19.  Shoddy posing.

Edited by Pontus

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

We're not sure to be honest what's the actual size for the Bandai compared to the Yamato. I think the image is just for referencing between the two from feet to the antenna and to show the differences from one brand to the other.

Yes, the idea was to compare just proportions, not size, but I can tell you the Bandai one is going to be fairly shorter than the Yamato one, which would make the arms and cockpit even tinier, LOL!

On the other side, both should be of around the same length in fighter mode, the DX owing a lot to the longer legs.

1 hour ago, Pontus said:

Why tf are the legs attached in the armpits?  I bet it's to make gerwalk more stable, but battroid isn't going to work well.  At least not if you want the legs to go back in any way. 

Well, the -21 inherited its high leg placement from its mommy, the Q-Rau.

I doubt it was done to stabilize the Gerwalk mode.  Really getting the impression that Gerwalk was an afterthought with Bandai.

Sorry, but no other toy is topping the Yammy's perfect transformation, skinny bitch side profile for fighter mode.

As previously posted by @Reïvaj . . .

On 11/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Reïvaj said:

After the cool comparison pics @valharyposted, I've been fiddling around with some other photos and Photoshop and came up with these ones for you guys to enjoy...

YF-21 DX-Yamato-LineArt comparison_3.jpg

YF-21 DX-Yamato-LineArt comparison_2.jpg

. . .

More pics to come later...

Credits to @valhary, @jenius (Anymoon.com), @Actar and MMM.

Ok, now we’re starting to hear the same comments over and over again with no actual new news. Maybe we should wait for something or do we all need to chime in with the same observation first? How about we talk about that exciting announcement that official GI Joe 6” figures are finally coming?:D

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm going to say Bandai wins Battroid mode, the Yamato is definitely designed for fighter above all else, and the legs in Battroid are a skinny floppy mess.

I agree, the Yamato battroid is a disaster. I'm not a big fan of Gerwalk either. I have three of most things so I can display in all modes at the same time. I have one Yamato YF-21 in fighter. That's how much I don't like the other two modes. I think the Bandai looks great in those two modes. I'll be getting at least two. Maybe three so I can have two Fighters. One with a fold booster, one without (I have a fold booster for my Yammie). And maybe even another Yamato or Bandai so I can display a delimiter mode too. When tese come out I'm going to need to add a Plus shelf (total two). May as well fill it out.

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Ok, now we’re starting to hear the same comments over and over again with no actual new news. Maybe we should wait for something or do we all need to chime in with the same observation first? How about we talk about that exciting announcement that official GI Joe 6” figures are finally coming?:D

I hear that GI Joe's head is a little too big, it has a lazy eye, Carny hands, and smells like cabbage.  Everyone knows Drakkar Noir is cannon. Sheesh. It's really a slap in the face of the consumer.

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah. I agree that it's the same comments over and over. But hey, it's what makes the DX YF-21 more exciting. Don't tell me that you're not excited about it for you to keep on coming back on the photos and check what you missed seeing the first time, right? ;)

Besides, atleast we're talking about the said item on their own thread rather than talk some other stuff over and over in the wrong thread. Hence, you have to provide the correct thread for that G.I.Joe stuff if you want to talk about it more, right? Or we can talk about the ThunderCats wave 2 figures too. :rolleyes:

Peace! :drinks:

Nope, I’m “ride or die” for the 3.75” Joes.

Love that most of the recent ones can still fit in the old vehicles.

Besides I don’t need another 3,000 versions of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke, CC, and Destro.  But now in 6” scale!

:p

And Bandai’s -21 battroid won’t win my approval until those damn bellyplates get elongated and given the correct shape. :5:

18 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yeah. I agree that it's the same comments over and over. But hey, it's what makes the DX YF-21 more exciting. Don't tell me that you're not excited about it for you to keep on coming back on the photos and check what you missed seeing the first time, right? ;)

Besides, atleast we're talking about the said item on their own thread rather than talk some other stuff over and over in the wrong thread. Hence, you have to provide the correct thread for that G.I.Joe stuff if you want to talk about it more, right? Or we can talk about the ThunderCats wave 2 figures too. :rolleyes:

Peace! :drinks:

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to it and any news but until we hear something new, there is not much else to talk about. Honestly, I keep coming back and reading this and every thread here mainly so I don't miss out on any Macross news and perhaps discuss a bit on topics I'm interested in. If there is nothing new to share or talk about, I'd rather save my time by not reading the same comments over and over, lol! 

9 minutes ago, Mog said:

Besides I don’t need another 3,000 versions of Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke, CC, and Destro.  But now in 6” scale!

And Bandai’s -21 battroid won’t win my approval until those damn bellyplates get elongated and given the correct shape. :5:

Haha, I only mentioned GI Joe because it seems to be the hot topic in toy news right now but I'm with you on not needing another 6,000 versions of the same crap over and over along with seemingly lower and lower quality when I already got the best 35 years ago. I've been hoping the day would never come for 6" Joes simply because I don't want to deal with it but now that they are here, I'm going to want at least one (maybe two depending on the character) version of my favorites in 6" form.

So...how about that ab joint gap and wrong calf parts on the new Thundercats prototypes?:lol:

Lol, anyways, I hope the next time I need to read this thread, it's going to be about us prepping for the oncoming preorder madness battle!

3 hours ago, Mog said:

Lmao that’s what everyone said about 1/60 valkeries. Hence here we are, standing strong not buying 1/48!

1 hour ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Lmao that’s what everyone said about 1/60 valkeries. Hence here we are, standing strong not buying 1/48!

When I was previously into toys before this stint the 1/60 stuff was coming on line. I remember thinking "Why would I want smaller ones?" (I had some 1/48's).

Then I took 10ish years off and got back into it. And I still much prefer a 1/48. Buuuuuuuuuuutttttt. I do have to qualify that. As I'm collecting now on a larger scale than I did before and running out of space I would happily trade some of my 1/48 Valks that I consider "second tier" for 1/60's simply for the room.

But I would never give up my "primaries". VF-1S Hikarus, VF-1S Roys and a Stealth (which is most of my 1/48's). Those are absolute 1/48 must haves for me.

I clearly don't care about consistent scaling though. If I did things would be a lot harder.

40 minutes ago, borgified said:

And you've been avoiding this thread until now? :p

You've got a long way to keep up to date on this thread.  

Nah, I usually subscribe to threads and stick with them. I need to go out of my subbed threads more often, apparently, lol. I am super broke right now anyway, and I hope by the time this is released i am fully balanced. I am faced with the dilemma of getting rid of my Arcadia Yf-19[never transformed], and maybe the 3 Yammies YF/VF-21/22 i own. I do have the DX19 thanks to a member here, and i have yet to open it.

My Yammie 19 lost an arm by just looking at it, so it remains in fighter mode forever now. I hope this new DX21 lives up to our expectations...

Edited by vlenhoff

3 hours ago, borgified said:

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

-There have been pictures released of a new Bandai DX YF-21.

-Release date unknown.

-45% of the people complained about it.

-45% of the people are nit picking it to death.

-10% are happy with how it looks.

-100% of people are buying at least one anyway.

Did I get everything?:D

8 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Wow, I just stumbled into this thread...

8 hours ago, borgified said:

And you've been avoiding this thread until now? :p

Haha, I’m not so sure about that!...

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

-There have been pictures released of a new Bandai DX YF-21.

-Release date unknown.

-45% of the people complained about it.

-45% of the people are nit picking it to death.

-10% are happy with how it looks.

-100% of people are buying at least one anyway.

Did I get everything?:D

Rinse and repeat that with 400% of the 99% of the people not happy with the way it looks mentioning that the DX looks better in Battroid and the Yamato looks better in Fighter. 

There, you just got caught up without having to read 17 pages of mostly the exact same comment over and over again. :p

By the way, you’re a “starving artist” too? Way to go!