Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

57 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

As always, the only way to get the best of all worlds would be to make separate toys in each of the three modes. Ah well. I guess I have no choice but to spend $1200 on four of these. No choice whatsoever. No choice. None.

Four? What's the fourth for? I may be doing this wrong.:D

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Four? What's the fourth for? I may be doing this wrong.:D

A spare for when my not OCD inevitably gets the best of me and I just HAVE TO mod one to look how I think it should, royally screw it up, and bemoan the fact that I no longer have one for each mode.

Oh, forgot to ask: The yellow lining on the bottom of the fighter mode. Am I correct in assuming that's just the same overly aggressive Bandai tampo job that gave the YF-19 the ugly writing on its wings? Or is that actually in the design/artwork?

9 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

A spare for when my not OCD inevitably gets the best of me and I just HAVE TO mod one to look how I think it should, royally screw it up, and bemoan the fact that I no longer have one for each mode.

Oh, forgot to ask: The yellow lining on the bottom of the fighter mode. Am I correct in assuming that's just the same overly aggressive Bandai tampo job that gave the YF-19 the ugly writing on its wings? Or is that actually in the design/artwork?

looks like overly aggressive tampo... 

Those lines are sitting in the place where the YF-21s gundpods would be mounted. Whereas the VF-22S would store them internally and would probably allow bandai to make use of the tampo. In this case it seems like Bandai is going to get lazy and not bother with retooling the YF-21 for the VF-22.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

13 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

LOL

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

As always, the only way to get the best of all worlds would be to make separate toys in each of the three modes. Ah well. I guess I have no choice but to spend $1200 on four of these. No choice whatsoever. No choice. None.

you forgot the fifth, the spare of the spare.

I don't know about you guys, but even if they release it as it looks now, I would still think it's a vast improvement. It already looks a lot more solid than Yamato's YF-21/22 ever was.

Yes there may be additional tweaks that could improve it further, but for me I would take those as icing on the cake.

I still got some gripes in battroid (hip guards too small, seems to be kinda gappy between the fuselage and the backpack).

But that fighter side profile looks good enough, though. 

In order to fit the wider legs, I see that they made the nacelles bigger.  Wouldn't be surprised if nacelles are hollowed out to fit the bigger legs in that space.

I don't know much about the transformation of this VF. Are the legs basically just stowed away inside the body of fighter mode, or are they arranged to conform to/create a certain shape? I'm wondering if they're shaped the way they are for any specific reason, or if the sculptors have relative freedom to, well, sculpt them however they see fit.

They're probably that way for a more stable standing pose, but I'd have preferred the legs to be longer and/or more spindly-looking. To me the YF-21 battroid always looks rather precariously top-heavy, like it rightfully shouldn't be able to walk around on those legs. Or like it's always hovering above the ground, and those legs are never meant to touch down.

I thk on the discussion of battroid, bandai’s 21 would need to be placed side by side with the 19.

Hoping for clearer pics of the prototype with the 19 in the background there.

i suspect bandai made the 21 design considerations so that the 2 battroids would look proportional with each other.

From Macross Mecha Manual:  yf-21-transformation1.gif

Basically the legs stow inbetween the wings and the bellyplates.

How they're positioned for fighter mode is really up to the designers (i.e., Bandai or Yamato).  But basically, it's a balance between getting a skinny fighter mode profile and big beefy legs for battroid.

This is absolutely beautiful.  And with the rest of the DX gang, I'm sure Bandai will knock it out of the park.  I don't know what people are complaining about (or maybe it's just high-anxiety anticipation OCD collector-style!).

This is definitely something I've been waiting for to complement my DX YF-19.  Can't wait.

My first thought about that side profile was that it looked really fat directly under the wings. I think it was the amount it curves down, like how far the lowest point of the belly plates is below the intakes, but after looking at it a bit more, I'm changing my mind. With the all the misaligned panels there and the big gap under the wing leading edge, I suspect it's somewhat mistransformed and the belly plates will pull up a few more millimeters. And if Bandai allows us to mount the guns down there (and they better) then that will break the profile up and help out as well.

I think I'm sold.

8 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

This is absolutely beautiful.  And with the rest of the DX gang, I'm sure Bandai will knock it out of the park.  I don't know what people are complaining about (or maybe it's just high-anxiety anticipation OCD collector-style!).

This is definitely something I've been waiting for to complement my DX YF-19.  Can't wait.

People will complain, it's just what we do here. ^_^ 

Literally though, it's mostly that Bandai is just loosely interpreting the design in ways Yamato didn't on their version.  Are the changes worth it?  Maybe, that will be up to individual opinion on whether they want a better fighter or battroid. 

In my case, I think they toyed with the dimensions of the fighter a little too much, and like the style of the Yamato one a bit better, but can't deny the legs are a lot closer to the art on this one.

I absolutely think their limp posing is not doing it any favors though.

I'm already sold, but I don't have a Yamato yf-19.  If they want to continue to tweak it, more power to them, but I'd be a buyer just based on what I see.  The fact that it doesn't seem to have any accessories on display with it makes me think it is still a pre-production mold to some degree or another.

I'd be interested to see what kind of accessories they are planning, though.  They set the bar pretty high with the YF-19, I hope they can do something similar with this.  I know it won't have quite that level of a load-out, but I would expect at least fast packs and a gunpod.

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

People will complain, it's just what we do here. ^_^ 

Literally though, it's mostly that Bandai is just loosely interpreting the design in ways Yamato didn't on their version.  Are the changes worth it?  Maybe, that will be up to individual opinion on whether they want a better fighter or battroid. 

In my case, I think they toyed with the dimensions of the fighter a little too much, and like the style of the Yamato one a bit better, but can't deny the legs are a lot closer to the art on this one.

I absolutely think their limp posing is not doing it any favors though.

Fair enough.  I myself prefer Bandai's "tweaking."  I see it in the Metal Build line.  I thought what they did with Gundam Destiny was just amazing, and time and again they've come through with special little variants of the original design that really pop.  That's actually what I look forward to.  But I guess when I think about it, I'm more of a design purist when it comes to Macross more than any other line.  So I agree with you there.  Only thing is I don't mind it so much on the Macross Plus line because I wasn't wedded to it Max+Miria style the same way I was with the original Macross series, which I watched when I was a child along with GI Joe, Transformers, MASK etc.  All of them when it first aired (a magnificent time to be a child in this country!).  So it occupies a place in my heart that all the rest of the spinoffs never could.  Never mind the fact that the storytelling has gradually degraded over time with the franchise.

But I digress.  Either way, to my untutored eyes, this looks absolutely gorgeous and one I've been waiting for.  

25 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

20191025_115515.jpg

Yes! Thanks for the pic post! 

Yup definitely bandai tweaked the proportions so that the 2 would match each other as chunky battroids! 

Now the question is.....................how much is bandai looking to get out of this, eh!

If they label this as a full set 21, cant imagine what the sticker shock would be...

Edited by seti88

See, I look at the same side-by-side picture, and I can't help but think, "If they just made the 21's bellyplates/hip armors just a little bit longer, the Super-Nova birds would look more balanced."

It's just throwing everything else off about the battroid.

10 hours ago, seti88 said:

Never too soon to bang the VF-11 drums! :5:

One thought tho, am sure the YF-21 is a bigger bird than the 19, plastic usage wise, that is.
And i would expect that to cause a slightly higher price bump on the YF-21.

Now, for the VF-11, its certainly smaller, plastic wise than the 21, or even the 19? So would that mean a cheaper valk?

Its not bandai to issue cheaper new valks. Would that stop bandai from ever issuing a vf-11, i wonder.

If they do then a VF-11 DX would need to be fully kitted out of the box to maintain the price floor.

Just because the VF-11 requires less overall material doesn't mean Bandai is going to pass the savings onto consumers. They'll still charge the same price as the others in the line. 

And as someone already mentioned, the materials don't make up the majority of the cost, i.e. it's not like the workers assembling them are going to work for less or packaging and shipping will be cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Also.... no giant ugly "N.E.T.F.C" plastered all over one of the wings?

Its still a prototype as kawamori/tenjin are still in discussions with the project lead of the 21.
So maybe you might get your wish in the end! :lol:;)

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

Just because the VF-11 requires less overall material doesn't mean Bandai is going to pass the savings onto consumers. They'll still charge the same price as the others in the line. 

And as someone already mentioned, the materials don't make up the majority of the cost, i.e. it's not like the workers assembling them are going to work for less or packaging and shipping will be cheaper. 

Yeah its pretty much given that bandai will try to maintain the price.
Am wondering if bandai would even find it in their interest to release a less overall material valk, after the 21, with high prices in mind.

I just hope we dont get into a situation where the 11 comes out bare, but still is priced high. 
Best case: 2 fold boosters included with the 11. 

Probable case: 1 fold booster.

Worse case: No fold booster but priced as much as a yf-19/21!