Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Fighter mode has some issues I think, but possibly due to perspective.  I do like that they kept the tampo more subdued than the YF-19, and I don't feel the need to scrape all the extra markings off this version.  They look like actual prototype placards, for the most part.

Thing that sticks out to me is that the cockpit is way too wide, not long/pointy enough on the front, or back, and curved the opposite direction on the back edge.  It's just the wrong shape all around.  Granted, considering it's not really involved in the transformation at all in this version, that should be easy to fix, but that also means they should have no excuse for it being the wrong shape.  If I had the ability, I would be shoving line art at them to point out the problems.

Back end and engines look pretty darn deep too, probably to house those chunky legs.  I'm betting this one will be hollow underneath.

Is it too late to tag this with #OmegaPants? :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

15 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Fighter mode has some issues I think, but possibly due to perspective.  I do like that they kept the tampo more subdued than the YF-19, and I don't feel the need to scrape all the extra markings off this version.  They look like actual prototype placards, for the most part.

Thing that sticks out to me is that the cockpit is way too wide, not long/pointy enough on the front, or back, and curved the opposite direction on the back edge.  It's just the wrong shape all around.  Granted, considering it's not really involved in the transformation at all in this version, that should be easy to fix, but that also means they should have no excuse for it being the wrong shape.  If I had the ability, I would be shoving line art at them to point out the problems.

Back end and engines look pretty darn deep too, probably to house those chunky legs.  I'm betting this one will be hollow underneath.

Is it too late to tag this with #OmegaPants? :lol: 

You could just not buy it and let someone who actually likes the thing have a shot at a preorder. :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

More images via Tag Hobby: https://www.taghobby.com/archives/410975

AD85F38B-3611-45FF-BA14-F4003EB61595.jpe

9A37BB26-210F-4F63-BAEB-473AD364AF02.jpe

Thanks for the pics!

That overhead shot makes me less worried about the size of the nose/cockpit.  I snapped a pic of my custom Yammie 21 from almost the same angle, and it looks similar to that.

Looks like Bandai splits up the bellyplates (with the bottom half going with the backpack perhaps or folding into the top portion of the bellyplate?)

Don’t like the design choice there.

16 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Dear Bandai,

Please SOLVE PACKING PROBLEM WITH ANTENNEA!

thx and regards,
YOUR PAYMASTERS

It looks like the antenna can be pivoted per enphily’s post below:

6 hours ago, enphily said:

@Berkut, @seti88 can you link source? can't find anything :(

also found little different angle

EHo3kpxUwAAkIbz?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Mog

27 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I hope this comes with a similar load out as the DX YF-19. 

Excited at the prospect of a DX VF-11 down the road. I never picked up a Yamato. 

Oh yes. That indeed would be very nice added top the Valk itself. I may get 2 of these if that is the case.

2 minutes ago, Mog said:

Thanks for the pics!

That overhead shot makes me less worried about the size of the nose/cockpit.  I snapped a pic of my custom Yammie 21 from almost the same angle, and it looks similar to that.

Looks like Bandai splits up the bellyplates (with the bottom half going with the backpack perhaps or folding into the top portion?).  

Don’t like the design choice there.

It looks like the antenna can be pivoted per enphily’s post below:

How far flat can the antennae be pivoted, is the question.

As well as the clearance in the bubble packing. Too early to say yes, but cant shake the uneasy feeling so easy.

15 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

With this, I can achieve my M+ goals:

• 2x Arcadia YF-19
  • 2x Yamato YF-21
  • 3x Yamato fold booster
  • 4x Bandai YF-19
  • 4x Bandai YF-21

All the modes displayed, all of them.

I'm with you brother, all the way.

battroid mode > yamato

fighter mode ... yamato > dx chogokin ?

I think there is something off about the rear half of the fighter.  don't have time to compare lineart at this second but it looks too boxy/bulky.  also too many markings....however, overall there is no question this will be the better overall release unless they really screw the pooch and break the string of hits with this.  i wish they had done the vf-11b but this will do.  now just have to find a way to actually get one at PO discount price.  lol.  love the yf-21 but its not in my top 5 valks for sure so i dont' want to pay too too much for it.

Hmmmmm...Interesting news here, but newer doesn't ALWAYS mean better nowadays..MP-44 for example...  I agree with the above statement, the rear of the plane just looks too bulku/boxy at this stage! Yamato nailed the fighter mode look IMHO. I'm sure Bandai's engineering will be better and in won't have fwoppy leg syndrome in battroid, but we'll see I suppose! Also, not enamored with the excess tampo all over the thing, much like the YF-19 which I passed on. 

Edited by derex3592

I'm in for this in one as well.. :yahoo:

Now the New Edwards DX Valk collection is complete (except for the Vamp Valks which was shown in the newer release of Plus).

Time to trim off the unwanted stuff from my collection to offset the price pre-order madness.

14 minutes ago, Mog said:

For comparison purposes,

Bandai DX:

065426C8-38E3-401B-895F-F112E5739B29.jpeg.7b71e7bb72e038adfb0fa115b4f2720b.jpeg

Yamato (customized, but no changes to structure):

gallery_3595_72_192877.jpg

Interesting, looks like the legs on the Bandai are slightly bigger, but the larger change is that the legs are much closer together.

I'll have to dig up some screenshots to see which is more accurate, but the YF-21 has even more anime magic than the YF-19. They might both be accurate.

The biggest difference I see in fighter is that the backpack engines are closer together on the Bandai, while the Yamato has a wider gap between ‘em.

I wonder if Bandai changed the leg transformation so that it’s the heels touching, rather than the tips of the feet touching (as in the Yammy).

AD85F38B-3611-45FF-BA14-F4003EB61595.jpeg.jpg.75bc08cacde2df50bf649d2ab5ad53d4.jpg.53d2915b3adb5560b5b7fd7159c8b289.jpg

Overall I do like the fact the engines are closer but ONE little thing I found out (and I'll maybe find more tid bits) is the engine nacelle pods on the top and the fuselage angle is supposed to be all lined up. The Bandai doesnt line up all together as far as I see.  Well its a minor complain but It will NOT be a deal breaker for me. I will buy this for sure.

160-Yamato-YF-21-1.jpg

Edited by Berkut

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

KITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━ッ!!

DX CHOGOKIN YF-21!!! MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE! (TT.TT) Like with S.H.Figuarts Auto Vajin and Masterpiece Dinobot, I'm buying at least two. Only thing that annoys me are the markings. There are way, way too many of them and take away from the overall sleek, stealthy look of the YF-21.