DYRL Questions

sage

Hi I am new here and also to macross/DYRL. I discovered it somehow while searching for older anime as I have always loved 80s and 90s anime since I was younger, I am surprised I had not learned of it after all these decades, but I am in USA so it is understandable. I had however always known about robotech but never watched it and never knew it was related to macross.

Anways, I am excited to watch DYRL, but I want to find a good version to watch for my first time so it is special. Being new to it I have (unfortunately) acquired what appears to be 2 bootleg DVDs of the Perfect Edition, one from S. Korea and one from Spain w eng subtitles.  I have heard afterward in my research that the DVD perfect editions are plagued with interlacing among other things.  Is it really that bad?

Fortunately, I have been able to track down and order what seems to be my first legitimate copy which is a VCD here: https://www.yesasia.com/global/macross-the-movie-do-you-remember-love-vcd-hong-kong-version/7179-0-0-0-en/info.html

My Questions are: is this VCD edited (ie I have heard about the shower scene and some head decapitation being edited in some VCDs and also 2012 Bluray release). It says this VCD is from 2010, does anyone know if it is edited or uncut?

I am aware of the new bluray 2016 but do not have a bluray player and would consider this option as a last resort. Hoping for some input from people who know alot and have been around awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i wouldnt consider watching it on bluray because the colors have been altered and digitally colored over thus basically erasing the whole 80s hand drawn/colored feel.  I am not a fan when any anime or movie gets digitally remastered it is complete garbage imo... i dont even know where the trend came about or why it is even popular when it looks horrible every time... as for the vcd being low res that is fine.. the movie has a certain softness to it due to the time period it was made in, so watching it on vhs or vcd or even laserdisc shouldnt matter and might actually look the best although i havent gotten around to watching the vcd yet.. i prefer 80s and 90s anime due to the softness and how easy it is on the eyes...i dont know how people can watch the higher resolution animes that are out nowadays, also it being totally done digitally makes it look even worse imo.. i would venture as far as calling it digital animation (that happens to be from japan) and not truly anime.. to me anime is a bit of a lost art and has been for quite some time which made it very exciting to stumble upon DYRL...

It's been two months since you posted your first post so we assumed that you already seen it via Blu-Ray.

It’s just common concept that when technology becomes advance such as pixel resolution of a television, then I imagine that it hurts to the eye to watch a 320x240 or 480p resolution to a 1080p or 4K television. You have to squint all the time if you want to play it in 1x size. Or ignore the fact that if you played it fit to screen then the whole thing is blurred or pixelized. So if a company has a property that they know it’s bankable then it’s just appropriate to find a way to make the original bigger and digitized it so it can keep up with the current time/technology. Hence, the recoloring, the sound edit, and whatnot. 

And yes, I really do appreciate the old anime for what it is, but I don’t have a smaller TV to watch it to appreciate it anymore.

As for the digital anime transition, I don’t mind it as long that it’s done right. UC Gundam, anyone? ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

i watch most old animes on a newer widescreen TV but most of the dvds I have play it in 4:3 with no stretching (i think). It just puts the black pillar bars on the sides. I have noticed on tv when a older movie is played they put the black pillar bars as well.  i no longer have an older tv as well, i am a bit bummed about that... sometimes new technology doesnt equate to "better" sadly most of the whole does not think that way.. i even prefer when movies were shot with traditional film lenses, i think movies shot with digital lenses today just dont have that cinematic quality to them anymore, it just doesn't look the same

I think our best bet for the video quality you are looking for is to try to find a LaserDisc copy of the movie.  VCD tends to be highly compressed and thus poor quality.  Your major problem is that unless you can find a good quality, working CRT, everything you play the movie back on will be stretched.  Either the playback device or the television monitor will stretch the video.  How well it dose that is highly dependent on the hardware/software used and your personal preferences.  As Noel pointed out, NTSC/PAL is 320x240, DVD is 720x480, HD is 1920x1080, roughly.  Your vintage copy of DYRL, whatever you decide on in the end, will get stretched (maintaining aspect ratio hopefully) to whatever vertical resolution your monitor is.

Remastering and the quality of it is something I really do not want to get into.  It's a very large can of worms.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, DewPoint said:

I think our best bet for the video quality you are looking for is to try to find a LaserDisc copy of the movie.

I think there is no need to go so far back, just the DVD will do.

2016 Bluray: current state of the art, with some sharpening in out-of-focus parts.

2012 Bluray: remastered with little or no grain. (Did I remember correctly?)

2007 HD remastered DVD: progressive, but very grainy. (The grain can be removed easily.) It has a warm color, IIRC. There is an unrestored non-anamorphic version on Disc 2. You might prefer that for old school look.

1999 Perfect Ed DVD: window-boxed and interlaced. It looks nice if properly deinterlaced. This is old-school enough, IMO.

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 5:34 AM, nhyone said:

2016 Bluray: current state of the art, with some sharpening in out-of-focus parts.

2007 HD remastered DVD: progressive, but very grainy. (The grain can be removed easily.) It has a warm color, IIRC. There is an unrestored non-anamorphic version on Disc 2. You might prefer that for old school look.

1999 Perfect Ed DVD: window-boxed and interlaced. It looks nice if properly deinterlaced. This is old-school enough, IMO.

Would this be an example of one of the 2012 edition Blueray copys you're talking about?

I'm currently going through the process of trying to obtain the Macross series in DVD after finding out about the differences between Macross and Robotech butchering it a while ago.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:34 AM, nhyone said:

Would this be an example of one of the 2012 edition Blueray copys you're talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-Do-You-Remember-Love-FLASHBACK-2012-English-2-disc-Blu-Ray-1080p-HD/153721497775?hash=item23ca83e8af:g:YjcAAOSwaENbUNfT

20 hours ago, Razgriz_Archer said:

Thank you, that's what I was trying to figure out was whether it was legit or not; Not endorsing bootlegs. Is there anywhere where I can more reliably get non-bootleg DVDs?

You can get stuff directly from japanese sites like Amazon, CD Japan amongst others. But nothing with english subtitles FYI