PLAMAX 1/72 VF-1 Valkyrie

TMBounty_Hunter

13 hours ago, electric indigo said:

What I like most about this offering is the absence of rivets.

I agree about the rivets. They seem out of place on what is supposed to be such a technologically advanced machine. Good choice for PLAMAX to leave them out.

I think the panel lines look too deep and out of scale. This reminds me of panel lines on the Wave VF-4 kit.

It does look good, only if a 3D print (you can see the bias marks). The only thing that stuck out to me is that the vertical stabilizers seem extra wide. The rudder area looks good, but the root seems extra wide. No big deal. It's easy to file down vs having to fill holes or other cosmetic surgery prior models needed.

I gotta ask, why all the DYRL kits vs the TV versions? Movie, less than two hours. TV show, several hours/days long. Maybe it's a cultural thing? - MT

On 7/23/2020 at 9:52 AM, Duymon said:

*looks at new Plamax 1/72 pics*

oh damn that looks nice!

*looks at 40+ unbuilt 1/72 hases sitting in boxes behind him*

...................maybe a pass :(

21 hours ago, kajnrig said:

*throws another onto the pile*

See? Doesn't look much different, does it? What's one more? :D

.................. I have a similar intention :D

15 hours ago, electric indigo said:

What I like most about this offering is the absence of rivets.

+1

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

It does look good, only if a 3D print (you can see the bias marks). The only thing that stuck out to me is that the vertical stabilizers seem extra wide. The rudder area looks good, but the root seems extra wide. No big deal. It's easy to file down vs having to fill holes or other cosmetic surgery prior models needed.

I gotta ask, why all the DYRL kits vs the TV versions? Movie, less than two hours. TV show, several hours/days long. Maybe it's a cultural thing? - MT

I'm betting the thinking goes: "more people know the movie version because it's shorter"

There's also less animation/colouring errors in DYRL than SDFM, which may play a part...

I do agree on the comment about panel lines looking pretty deep, but would have to see one in person before I made any final judgement.

One big plus for the Plamax is if it has closed landing gear bay doors included as well 

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

It's definitely a cultural thing. Most people in the west first experienced DYRL the same was as the TV series - on a tiny screen horribly ruined by analog video.

Meanwhile in Japan with the theatrical release it was more like an event. A lot of anime movies were like that even back then with people lining up around corners, premiers with staff and cast present, etc. There's lots of photos from the premiers of the original Gundam Trilogy, Ideon movies, Farewell Yamato, etc with just crowds and crowds of people showing up to theaters after the TV shows built the hype. These were cultural milestones for the people that cared about these franchises, with quite a few of these people now making the decisions of what merch gets made today.

4 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

It's definitely a cultural thing. Most people in the west first experienced DYRL the same was as the TV series - on a tiny screen horribly ruined by analog video.

Meanwhile in Japan with the theatrical release it was more like an event. A lot of anime movies were like that even back then with people lining up around corners, premiers with staff and cast present, etc. There's lots of photos from the premiers of the original Gundam Trilogy, Ideon movies, Farewell Yamato, etc with just crowds and crowds of people showing up to theaters after the TV shows built the hype. These were cultural milestones for the people that cared about these franchises, with quite a few of these people now making the decisions of what merch gets made today.

That's a great explanation! I feel like I really understand why the DYRL versions get so much more attention. Very interesting.

Thanks Slide and TM Bounty Hunter! I believe you are correct. My whole family sat and watched "10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki." It was on PBS or you can watch it online from NHK on Youtube in case anyone missed or never heard of it. That gave some insight as to how big anime movies there are like Disney movies here. Yes, the DYRL versions we got in the States had bad audio/dubbing and video. But it was still cool to be able to see it. I still like the series better personally;). - MT 

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Google translation:

"When I came back from Hobby So, I received a test shot of 1/72 VF-1 that I could not make in time due to the difference in touch .... The premonition of the super name kit is squeaky ... (The color is a test shot, so it is like a Destroid Atmosphere)"

11 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Yeah it has been a while.

I asked HLJ for an advance copy (or at least just the canopy) so that I could bring a canopy mask set to market early.

The staff had to look up the kit as they had never heard of it! 

:shok:

wow! That is interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
3 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:
Quite soft looking on the detail but I guess that's to be expecting if people want to emulate Bandai

Ah nice…. At least they got the engines in the right angle.

It's no Tamiya or Hasegawa as far as detail sharpness, but it looks good. I'll probably stack one in the stash.

At least the got the "legs" straight.

Any word on price yet?

4 hours ago, slide said:

It's no Tamiya or Hasegawa as far as detail sharpness, but it looks good. I'll probably stack one in the stash.

At least the got the "legs" straight.

Any word on price yet?

Looks like we have a price. Y4200/Y4620 (Jpn Tax included).

image.jpeg.0b7bc11089695f0d5767f4caf7011b01.jpeg

Interesting they're getting into the 1/72 VF-1 game. Is there a strong enough fan base for these guys, i wonder. They certainly look good, but I'm happy with the collection of Hasegawa's i have. 

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Interesting they're getting into the 1/72 VF-1 game. Is there a strong enough fan base for these guys, i wonder. They certainly look good, but I'm happy with the collection of Hasegawa's i have. 

Seeing that Hasegawa keeps on reissuing their 1/72 scale VF kits, I'm pretty sure there's a market for it. It's more of a question afterwards who makes the best VF-1 and if they're also going to do the other Valkyries as well.

Looking forward to it...one of the descriptions is about how fast you can assemble it...at explosive speed!
Maybe at the next SDCon instead of a 1/55 transformation contest, everyone has to assemble one of these 😛

image.png.f569f31c694369f338b5b8e11110902c.png

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Looking forward to it...one of the descriptions is about how fast you can assemble it...at explosive speed!
Maybe at the next SDCon instead of a 1/55 transformation contest, everyone has to assemble one of these 😛

image.png.f569f31c694369f338b5b8e11110902c.png

So we're talking snap fit a la hg 1/144 gundam kits..?

I’m very curious about a potential battroid mode. If they can do a more pose able Ann’s better looking one than hasegawa, then I’m all in. A gerwalk would also be highly appreciated. 
not saying hasegawa is bad, just a bit outdated and the battroid could use some work. They really did a great job of looking very consistent between fighter and battroid, but the realism sacrificed articulation and ease of build. The anime lacks realism and the way Bandai did the hmr wings on the later vf1 was more anime accurate and added to the articulation around the hip in a much more natural way.

I really can’t wait to see how their line turns out or if this is just a one off.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I'd like to see someone do a transformable VF-1 kit that doesn't fall apart like Bandai's from a few years ago.

I honestly don’t think the vf1 is the best subject for a transforming kit. There’s too many compromises that have to be made. I’d be far happier with really great kits of all 3 modes sold separately or as a pack.

although if someone could prove me wrong and make a perfect transformation kit with perfect looks, I’d be interested 

5 hours ago, Big s said:

I honestly don’t think the vf1 is the best subject for a transforming kit. There’s too many compromises that have to be made. I’d be far happier with really great kits of all 3 modes sold separately or as a pack.

although if someone could prove me wrong and make a perfect transformation kit with perfect looks, I’d be interested 

Well, I would say a 1/72 kit isn't the best vehicle for that; that said, what about a kit that had more room and thicker plastic for it? I mean, they did it for the 1/60 and 1/48, after all...

Big plus of the Plamax outside having straight legs is that it includes a pilot and has options for open or closed door bays which are a minor PITA to close on the hasegawas.

Minus is price (about 2x a standard 1/72 hase) and..... the fact that I'd never get to building it *looks at 5 large rubbermaid containers full of unbuilt Hase's*

Edited by Duymon

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, I would say a 1/72 kit isn't the best vehicle for that; that said, what about a kit that had more room and thicker plastic for it? I mean, they did it for the 1/60 and 1/48, after all...

They do the best they can. The 1/60 toys usually look better in fighter and the Bandai ones in hmr and dx look a bit better in battroid, but they still don’t get quite there, the dx toys look a bit boxy to me. It always seems like there’s a compromise in the looks between either having a great fighter mode or a great battroid mode and the transformation gimmick never gets both right due mostly to old style hand drawn anime. That’s the main reason I would prefer the idea of separate kits for all 3 modes. The hasegawa 1/72 did a good job, but they were trying to be more realistic and consistent between the modes and I think the battroid could have been better. Max factory seems to love anime robots and I think if they do a battroid it will at least look cool, as far as articulation, who knows.

2 hours ago, joscasle said:

IMHO for the price I prefer the Hasewaga 1/48 version. At the moment $29 in www.hlj.com vs $35 for the new plamax 1/72 version. It is a no no for me

The deciding factor for me is gonna be if they do the other modes. I do think it’s a nice looking fighter and the simple build is definitely tempting, but I’m waiting to see if they do a great battroid and gerwalk. If they do those and do them well, I’ll definitely pick them up

On 5/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, Big s said:

They do the best they can. The 1/60 toys usually look better in fighter and the Bandai ones in hmr and dx look a bit better in battroid, but they still don’t get quite there, the dx toys look a bit boxy to me. It always seems like there’s a compromise in the looks between either having a great fighter mode or a great battroid mode and the transformation gimmick never gets both right due mostly to old style hand drawn anime. That’s the main reason I would prefer the idea of separate kits for all 3 modes. The hasegawa 1/72 did a good job, but they were trying to be more realistic and consistent between the modes and I think the battroid could have been better. Max factory seems to love anime robots and I think if they do a battroid it will at least look cool, as far as articulation, who knows.

Well, that's not their fault: it's the animators IMO. And frankly, having to get all three is a PITA when money's an issue.