PLAMAX 1/72 VF-1 Valkyrie

TMBounty_Hunter

Actually the VF-1 fighter series are the most difficult to build of the Hasegawa offerings and some people are put off by the bent leg of the clean skin fighter, so an option that is easier to build but with the same details might sell. I am interested to see what the kit looks like but won't be going out of my way to buy one. 

-Brett

It's probably safe to say that it'll be a minimum 4,000 yen judging by the Dougram kit pricing. So at least twice the price of Hasegawa. The "quality of life" improvements for the build will probably make it worth it for a lot of people.

Wave 1/100 kits, which are pretty much as friendly to build as a Gundam HG but need paint used to be 2,400 yen and A/J/S sold separately but Wave has recently reissued the with all 3 in one box for 3,600 yen. If those Wave kits were 1/72 for that price and quality it would have been wonderful.

Not 100% sure on this but it seems like it was Kawamori's idea?

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

6 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Ambiguous pronouns, omitted subjects, and passive tense make it impossible to be 100% sure of anything in Japanese.  <_<

"The idea came up in conversation with Mr. Kawamori."

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, TMBounty_Hunter said:

It's probably safe to say that it'll be a minimum 4,000 yen judging by the Dougram kit pricing. So at least twice the price of Hasegawa. The "quality of life" improvements for the build will probably make it worth it for a lot of people.

Wave 1/100 kits, which are pretty much as friendly to build as a Gundam HG but need paint used to be 2,400 yen and A/J/S sold separately but Wave has recently reissued the with all 3 in one box for 3,600 yen. If those Wave kits were 1/72 for that price and quality it would have been wonderful.

the 1/72 Hasegawa is truly a pain in the dick to build.  I started one 10-15 years ago, and it's just been so off-putting to continue that it was partly the reason I stopped building models altogether.  I recently got back into the game, and I still find it off-putting, lol!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:31 PM, Return To Kit Form said:

I have no idea what any of that says - but I am interested! Anyone want to translate?

Tweet basically says the the 1/72 VF-1 moulds are almost done. It also mentions that they are nearing completion of the test shots for the 1/20 Mirage kit. Finally, the tweet also says that the PLAMAX line will continue to make more Macross-related items/kits, and thanks everyone.

Well the 1/20 PLAMAX Mirage's release date was previously announced as July 2020, so they're probably gonna post the full set of test shots for it towards end of May, if not early June, in preparation for its release.

Not sure if production for the 1/72 VF-1 will start soon, as even if the moulds are almost done, it may still need to undergo some fine-tuning...

On 10/1/2019 at 5:15 AM, peter said:

the 1/72 Hasegawa is truly a pain in the dick to build.  I started one 10-15 years ago, and it's just been so off-putting to continue that it was partly the reason I stopped building models altogether.  I recently got back into the game, and I still find it off-putting, lol!

I've built 16 so far and find them pretty simple and quick. Only parts needing mods are the leg connections being recut to align them level with the body and the infill between the wings that you make with a piece of pill packet blister material.

Its my favorite, second being the Wave VF-4 and Wave Destroids.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:04 AM, valkyriepilot said:

Tweet basically says the the 1/72 VF-1 moulds are almost done. It also mentions that they are nearing completion of the test shots for the 1/20 Mirage kit. Finally, the tweet also says that the PLAMAX line will continue to make more Macross-related items/kits, and thanks everyone.

Well the 1/20 PLAMAX Mirage's release date was previously announced as July 2020, so they're probably gonna post the full set of test shots for it towards end of May, if not early June, in preparation for its release.

Not sure if production for the 1/72 VF-1 will start soon, as even if the moulds are almost done, it may still need to undergo some fine-tuning...

So more Macross. And Max loves BIG models. Really loves them.

*whisper* 1/72 injection molded MONSTER!

On 6/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, Thom said:

More manufactures making them the merrier! Maybe they'll even make their own VF-4 and it'll more affordable than the Wave one, seeing how I can't find their earlier boxing without the full weapons set included.-_-

I have the Wave first boxing of the VF-4. It's a nice kit, I think the panel lines are  too deep and wide, but the kit looks fine. I really love that Hasegawa release a new VF-4 but I think that will never happen, same with the VF-17. the panel lines of the Hasegawa models have a greater fineness than those of Wave.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, joscasle said:

I have the Wave first boxing of the VF-4. It's a nice kit, I think the panel lines are  too deep and wide, but the kit looks fine. I really love that Hasegawa release a new VF-4 but I think that will never happen, same with the VF-17. the panel lines of the Hasegawa models have a greater fineness than those of Wave.

The weapons included jump the price up too much (almost), and now it seems like they are not selling the original boxing in order to bank more.

Edited by Thom

• 1 month later...

Still looking forward to seeing this come out though.

The Hasegawa is not without its faults.  Huge pain in the dick to build for noobs like me, but detailed as hell and they look amazing when built by pros.

Looking forward to comparing the Plamax in terms of price, detail and buildability.

38 minutes ago, peter said:

Still looking forward to seeing this come out though.

The Hasegawa is not without its faults.  Huge pain in the dick to build for noobs like me, but detailed as hell and they look amazing when built by pros.

Looking forward to comparing the Plamax in terms of price, detail and buildability.

Be prepared for Plamax to sell decals and armaments separately at premium prices, Bandai-style. They‘ve done that for the 1/20 kits.

10 hours ago, Duymon said:

*looks at new Plamax 1/72 pics*

oh damn that looks nice!

*looks at 40+ unbuilt 1/72 hases sitting in boxes behind him*

...................maybe a pass :(

*throws another onto the pile*

See? Doesn't look much different, does it? What's one more? :D

On 7/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, TMBounty_Hunter said:

The slow trickle of news continues

Also on video!

https://youtu.be/zrHBJEAN0zg?t=4508

In the video, the guy says that the kit is around 80 parts total and so, experienced kit builders could probably build it up in about an hour. Also, release date hopefully sometime before the weather gets warm next year.

Looking at the prototype, the lower legs area is an improvement over the Hasegawa. Also I like the size of the landing gear wheels. Something that is way too small in both the Bandai and Hasegawa 1/72 kits.

I'm definitely getting a few.

51 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

*throws another onto the pile*

See? Doesn't look much different, does it? What's one more? :D

I'll likely pick up at least one, just for the experience of building it compared to the Hasegawa, the newer Bandai variable, and the older Imai/Bandai variable.