Jump to content

[Peacock] Battlestar Galactica (not a reboot) (2019)


Mazinger
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/09/battlestar-galactica-reboot-drama-series-sam-esmail-nbc-streaming-service-peacock-1202736127/

Seems like NBCUniversal is taking a page from the CBS / Trek Discovery playbook.

This time it's Robert Esmail, creator of Mr. Robot, following up Ronald D. Moore's earlier reboot.

Personally I welcome it as I want to see some cheesy space opera with Egyptian helmets, Greek motifs, insectoid planets, ancient dapper spirits of evil, and reptilian Cylons hell-bent on extinguishing the 12 colonies of Kobol.

Will we get any of that? One can hope.

Edited by Mazinger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hope is alive, just concerns me that Esmail is a fan of Moore's take on the show...

Really hoping a little more hope and heart get put into it and that it isn't a race to see who could be the worst bastage.

Also hoping for more steady cam and a finale that doesn't end with everyone wandering off into the woods.:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's gonna crap, wrapped in feathers, boxed in a crate made from crap-laden feathers. NuBSG completely, COMPLETELY overrode the 1970's BG (so did SBSY:2199) in my mind. To do it again? Why, indeed? Greed, probably...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

This new series will have some big shoes to fill when it comes to the battle scenes. RDM's BSG was superb and I'll take the Pepsi challenge defending that part of the series. 

Related image

About the only good things from NuBSG was the battle scenes. When the camera wasn't jumping all over the place.

But why do it over again? Because it wasn't good the last time. Just my opinion though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hell, if they’re gonna remake recent SciFi then remake, or better yet refresh Babylon 5. Which was an amazing show and would look great with new CGI.

“NuBSG” was decent enough, not as great as some would claim, especially the ending, but it wasn’t bad either. It just doesn’t scream for a remake or even a continuation  

As Deadpool in scrubs asked above, “but why” indeed. 

-b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Hell, if they’re gonna remake recent SciFi then remake, or better yet refresh Babylon 5. Which was an amazing show and would look great with new CGI.

Found myself googling Starfury toys and models.  Sad that there were never many made.  It really was such a great design, inspired by another, the Last Starfighter's Gunstar.

Well, at least there are modern models for Vipers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big, BIG fan of Esmail's Mr. Robot, especially Season 1 and Season 3 (though I reserve judgment to change my opinion if he screws the pooch with this final season).

His cinematography is always top-notch, and the stories have been solid so far.

But even with him behind the camera on this reboot, I'm not really sold on another redo of BSG. 

In my opinion, Moore & Eick knocked their version out of the park.  It's gonna be damn hard to top what they pulled off for four seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A) No to reboots or remakes. Lets have more new, original stories please.

B) No to another streaming service. I'm happy with Netflix and Amazon Prime, although Amazon Prime may get replaced by Disney Plus once the Mandolorian and Season 7 of The Clone Wars become available. Honestly, two streaming services is my limit.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the remake more than the original despite not having enough "mechanical" Cylons. If nothing else, it's close as we'll ever get to a live action Gall Force.

Galactica '80 will forever be the frachise low point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Found myself googling Starfury toys and models.  Sad that there were never many made.  It really was such a great design, inspired by another, the Last Starfighter's Gunstar.

Well, at least there are modern models for Vipers.

Actually there was a model of the Star Fury made by Revell back in the 90s. I still have that kit sitting around unbuilt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While not perfect there is no reason to reboot BSG again.  NuBSG is still an example of how to a reboot (mostly) right.
I agree with @Graham, do something original or find a book series and adapt that.
If they must do a reboot (because Hollywood is risk averse) then look to other franchises:
Buck Rogers (the early 2000s version is best forgotten)
Any Gerry Anderson but with live actors.
Starcom (yes it was a cartoon, but a live action adaptation could be awesome)

Or something else entirely.

Though I would laugh if it turned out to end up being a live action (thumb their nose at HG) Macross.  Think about it, aside from the transforming mecha, SDF Macross and BSG have a lot of parallels.  They could even bring in SK to design the new "vipers" to make them transforming and mix the lores.  No, on second thought that might be terrible.  But funny to watch the HG guys heads explode.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mog said:

I'm a big, BIG fan of Esmail's Mr. Robot, especially Season 1 and Season 3 (though I reserve judgment to change my opinion if he screws the pooch with this final season).

His cinematography is always top-notch, and the stories have been solid so far.

But even with him behind the camera on this reboot, I'm not really sold on another redo of BSG. 

In my opinion, Moore & Eick knocked their version out of the park.  It's gonna be damn hard to top what they pulled off for four seasons.

Indeed. Sam Esmail's Mr. Robot is well done so I have hope that he can do some good in the NuBSG universe.

If nothing else, he should be able to whip up something that is much, much better than Caprica.

Also this:

 

Edited by technoblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Though I would laugh if it turned out to end up being a live action (thumb their nose at HG) Macross.  Think about it, aside from the transforming mecha, SDF Macross and BSG have a lot of parallels.  They could even bring in SK to design the new "vipers" to make them transforming and mix the lores.  No, on second thought that might be terrible.  But funny to watch the HG guys heads explode.

I'd buy that for a dollar!  Two even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, technoblue said:

If nothing else, he should be able to whip up something that is much, much better than Caprica.

Caprica would have been better served as a show not connected to BSG but more about Silicon Valley pirates in the age of ascending AI. It tackled some story lines about IP that I've yet to see addressed on other shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Found myself googling Starfury toys and models.  Sad that there were never many made.  It really was such a great design, inspired by another, the Last Starfighter's Gunstar.

Well, at least there are modern models for Vipers.

That, the Earth Alliance capital ships and I would ABSOLUTELY love a decent Whitestar replica.

 

9 hours ago, Dynaman said:

What they will have to do with the new one, if there is a plan, is to actually figure out what the plan is before they start filming.

This times *1000

7 hours ago, technoblue said:

Indeed. Sam Esmail's Mr. Robot is well done so I have hope that he can do some good in the NuBSG universe.

If nothing else, he should be able to whip up something that is much, much better than Caprica.

Also this:

 

Alright, alright. Hope it all works out and culminates to a good show.

-b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

They should have made a series based on Blood & Chrome, too late now!

Caprica was great but I'm not surprised it was cancelled.

I would have been like a kid on Christmas morning to see this Galactica in action. :D

If this new series does actually see the light of day, I'll give it a chance. It's either going to be really good or a steaming pile. 

Image result for battlestar galactica blood and chrome

Edited by 505thAirborne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm betting for steaming pile.  I love the soundtrack and designs for 2004 Galactica, I doubt they can do better.  I would have liked some prequel material, first cylon war, etc. 

The new series cannot take the same approach that the cylons were man-made, nor have skinjobs, its been done.  Rebooting the original show would be the best approach, reptilian alien cylons, etc.

The Galactica above doesn't make sense IMO.  Why are the missing armor plates in the 2nd cylon war so generally symmetrical?  That happened to all the missing weapons?   Why are there un-armored parts of the engine nacelles?

Edited by easnoddy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a reboot -- the project was mischaracterized in the title of the initial story at Hollywood Reporter (17 Sep 6:00 am. PT). Mr. Esmail quickly clarified via Twitter (17 Sep 8:49 am, no TZ) that this is a spinoff, a new story set in the "mythology" -- that tweet actually appears in the story, as its fourth paragraph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lexomatic said:

It's not a reboot -- the project was mischaracterized in the title of the initial story at Hollywood Reporter (17 Sep 6:00 am. PT). Mr. Esmail quickly clarified via Twitter (17 Sep 8:49 am, no TZ) that this is a spinoff, a new story set in the "mythology" -- that tweet actually appears in the story, as its fourth paragraph.

I'm not sure that's better, given what a mess their attempts to spin off the story were previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if they can hit a tone somewhere between the 2 other series with a Mythology a little closer to the Orginal series that would be great. Have the Cylons be the Alien species again with the Robots being the tools of the actual Cylon species. Maybe make the Humans a little more likable instead of just all being pieces of dreck that the RDM series made them out to be. I know people have flaws...but my God they went a bit overboard. People CAN be and ARE good too.

Also, it would be cool if maybe the show starts with the long running war still raging....similar to TOS, but let the war go on for the season. Then maybe as the Season Finale or season 2 mid season Finale have the Attack happen. This would allow the viewers to feel the impact of the holocaust more as maybe we could’ve learned more about some of Colonial society through the characters  ect. Also have some more of the Fleet survive the Attack and have them protecting the survivors as they gather together over the course of a few episodes to prepare to depart. During said gathering the remaining Fleet ships are lost through attrition with only Galactica remaining to protect the rag tag Fleet. This would also set up Pegasus returning later as we maybe already get a quick look at it and Cain and see the significance of the ship, so when it returns briefly it again would feel like something.

Just my fan wank at any rate.

Chris

Edited by Dobber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...