[Peacock] Battlestar Galactica (not a reboot) (2019)

Mazinger

Though I would much rather a reboot to get this as far away from Moore as possible, that it is being done by a different creative team gives some hope that each episode won't be a showcase of the worst we can be as a species. Still, the lost opportunity for rebooting Larson's original idea before the network shills got a hold of it... :(

Edited by Thom

On 9/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, Knight26 said:

If they must do a reboot (because Hollywood is risk averse) then look to other franchises:
Buck Rogers (the early 2000s version is best forgotten)

They would make Buck a woman. I'm not opposed on principal. But they would have to stick it. If a woman she would need to be more "Ripley"(Alien)/"Satrbuck" (NuBSG) than "Captain Marvel".

57 minutes ago, hachi said:

If the nuBSG ending was good it would have been a perfect SF series. They better have a plan, otherwise it's just gonna be a waste of IP and resources.

(I haven't seen the original though, and have no plans to see it.)

Ah, but the original BSG is worth seeing, if for no other reason than to see some classic late 1970s sci-fi. Historically, it serves as a nice vehicle to introduce oneself to the core ideas that Moore and Eick would run with again in the 2004 reboot. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

But alas, as @Thom notes above, what crippled the original series was all the network meddling. For instance, Larson had pitched the show as a three-part miniseries. The first part being Saga of a Star World, which then became the TV show's first three episodes. I think a lot was lost in translation when Larson and his team were "asked" to move away from the made-for-TV movie paradigm. Clearly, the move hurt the show's effects budget. Maybe there is some parallel universe where it all worked out. Oh well.

28 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Ah, but the original BSG is worth seeing, if for no other reason than to see some classic late 1970s sci-fi. Historically, it serves as a nice vehicle to introduce oneself to the core ideas that Moore and Eick would run with again in the 2004 reboot. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

But alas, as @Thom notes above, what crippled the original series was all the network meddling. For instance, Larson had pitched the show as a three-part miniseries. The first part being Saga of a Star World, which then became the TV show's first three episodes. I think a lot was lost in translation when Larson and his team were "asked" to move away from the made-for-TV movie paradigm. Clearly, the move hurt the show's effects budget. Maybe there is some parallel universe where it all worked out. Oh well.

I think the original has a level of charm that Moore's 2004 effort didn't quite reach.  Yes we liked most characters in nuBSG, but like The Walking Dead, we often tuned in to see how they'd make it out alive another week or to see what really effed up machinations would be their downfall.  It was different then pulling for this rag-tag groups of refugees trying on a caravan across the stars.

I'm actually a bit disappointed to find out that this isn't a reboot. I wanted to get away from "the cylons are just terminators built by our ancestors" and the "who are the final five" low-budget storylines.

I wanted other species out in the universe.  Above all I loved the Egyptian motifs of the original. Though the Mk II Vipers were a nice upgrade of the design, I found the rest of the industrial  design, business suits, and other 20th Century Earth paraphernalia annoying.

Yes, ogBSG could sometimes come of as a campy Star Wars rip-off, but it had a look and feel that nuBSG didn't live up to. With todays tech there's no reason that vipers and cylons couldn't have a more polished, Stargate design and feel.  And while some may be put off by the pseudo-religious backstory that is largely based on Mormon theology, I actually think it makes for a perfect Sci-Fi plot device:

Edited by Mazinger

@Mazinger

This is a reboot. The show runner tweeted that this will not be a remake of Moore’s BSG.  Was posted on the previous page.

There’s potential. Like I wrote above if they can find the sweet spot in between the 2 previous series’s tones and follow the Mythology of the originals a bit more I think it could be something great. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

5 hours ago, Mazinger said:

I think the original has a level of charm that Moore's 2004 effort didn't quite reach.  Yes we liked most characters in nuBSG, but like The Walking Dead, we often tuned in to see how they'd make it out alive another week or to see what really effed up machinations would be their downfall.  It was different then pulling for this rag-tag groups of refugees trying on a caravan across the stars.

Indeed. The original show definitely has its own charm. And I also liked the idea that there were more creatures, more dangers to face in the universe than just Cylons and humans trying to muck up the plan to find a new home. The original show had some interesting guest stars too. I think Fred Astaire's performance was one of his last on screen live action roles.

I struggled with watching NuBSG for the longest time. All my friends were like, "You gotta see this!", but I kept trying and stopping because it was so jarring. So many of the main characters were grimdark reflections of who I remembered on the old show as a kid, and I wasn't really sure what the core message was at first. On a bit of a silly note, I also wasn't a fan of how NuBSG changed the catchphrase from "By your command" to "So say we all".

Now, well, both shows have my respect and I can see how they have their own identities. Seeing NuBSG for the first time was a shock, though, and I think fans who started with that will be in for a similar shock when Sam Esmail presents his version of the myth. Happy to say, I've already gone through the BSG grieving process. :lol:

Edited by technoblue

I keep thinking, of all the various ways the info we have can be interpreted----will it just be CALLED BSG, but not actually be about *Galactica*?  How can you be "in Moore's universe" but tell another story, about Galactica? (without being an immediate prequel)  I'm thinking it'll be more like Caprica (same universe, but set very far away from Galactica itself), just *called* BSG.   (but of course, it has to show up at SOME point, or the name makes ZERO sense)  

5 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

It is very early and just about anything could change.  I'm hoping it ends up being Blood and Chrome.

That’s about all I’d want to see in the Moore universe of BSG. I’d rather just start over with something new.

Chris