6 hours ago, Thom said:

Actually, the Gatlanteans were introduced briefly in 2199. They were the poor shmucks Dommel was pasting before he was called off to deal with the Yamato threat.

Oops. I forgot about that moment. 😅

7 hours ago, Thom said:

For 2205 I will miss the long story arcs, but after 2202 a tighter schedule and storyline would probably be best.

The shorter story arc makes a lot more sense if 2205 is a reimagining of the classic movies The New Voyage and Be Forever Yamato.

That also means the Dark Nebula Empire is the big baddy instead of the Bolar Empire.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

0C3AA88E-6AD6-467D-9552-56CD1BBA874C.jpeg

Thank you, this pic is epic. I'm extremely curious for this season (can we call it that?) as i know so little of the original (although 3 seasons were aired in some parts of the US in the late 70's, only Iscandar and The Comet Empire seasons were aired on local TV in Cleveland in 1979 +/-). 

8 hours ago, TehPW said:

Thank you, this pic is epic. I'm extremely curious for this season (can we call it that?) as i know so little of the original (although 3 seasons were aired in some parts of the US in the late 70's, only Iscandar and The Comet Empire seasons were aired on local TV in Cleveland in 1979 +/-). 

This short series/OVA is a reimagining of Space Battleship Yamato: The New Voyage, a film from 1979 that takes place after the war with the Comet Empire. There’s no word yet on if we will get an update to Yamato 3 (aka Star Blazers: The Bolar Wars). 

All that said, I was thinking we were going to jump right into a modern retelling of Yamato 3 too, so getting this side story instead is a nice surprise.

First, is that Smiling Captain sitting behind the new Cheng (Chief Engineer) at 0:22?

Second, did they change the arrangement of the classic 2199 stations?

That clip generates nothing but excitement!

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Looks like the Yamato had some engine trouble there! lol

Going by context, it would seem that the engineering crew member either didn't do something correctly, like failed to follow engine starting procedures, or perhaps they didn't perform the necessary maintenance beforehand? 

4 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Going by context, it would seem that the engineering crew member either didn't do something correctly, like failed to follow engine starting procedures, or perhaps they didn't perform the necessary maintenance beforehand? 

You could always fault the trainers for that. I suspect alot of changes have occurred on Yamato (enough to make even seasoned flops feel challenged)... but

derpy. Someone explain the moon's... shape? an Andy BB parked in a junk pile of Galantis vessel debris? So this clip is mostly the greenhorns during work-ups before their maiden deployment to Icandar...?

For the moon (0:16), it resembles Mimas, the "Death Star" moon of Saturn -- I'm guessing that's a recent bombardment crater (by somebody's superweapon) with four concentric walls of ejecta. FWIW, the first caption line 演習1日目 reads "exercise first day" -- I thought it might be the name of the body.  Yamato 2199 et seq. has put some effort into its astronomical realism -- at 1:57, on Day 7, they seem to be conducting exercises around a pulsar.

Also, I don't care for the animation of the space fighters: IMHO, it's too Macross-y for this milieu. (My benchmark in this respect are the Starfuries from Babylon 5.) The Cosmo Pythons (that's the new-model Earth fighter, according to Yamato superfan site OurStarblazers.com) ignite engines and are instantly at full speed (0:45), rather than accelerating; they've got RCS thrusters but aren't consistently showing "thrust/counterthrust" (0:50), and make aerodynamic-style moves without thrusters (0:52, 1:06) such as scissoring/swooping (1:04). I do like that the console displays at 0:39 are more concise than in Macross.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they’ve announced the next series…1000 years in the future with the Yamato as the antagonist? 

Change the future.
 The enemy is ... Space Battleship Yamato.

"Space Battleship Yamato" remake series latest work "Yamato forever REBEL3199"

Yamato... I have a really deep love from the bottom of my heart for Yamato Anime and Manga. 

I am a soldier's boy who grew up in Military Lodgings until i was 13. When i was 9 or something, at one of these Military Lodgings, there was a Unripe Almond Tree, which the children including me called, The Yamato. We climbed on it, 4 boys and 1 girl and played Yamato most of the time when we were outside in Military Lodgings, playing. We would eat the unripe almonds on the branches of The Yamato on summer, it was our space battleship Yamato. 

Those were really fun times which will never come back... I wonder if The Yamato is still alive, i hope they didn't cut it down. I would like to climb on it one last time and scream ''Yamato !!!'' ...one last time, before i die. 

Edited by VF-Zero

3 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Looks like they’ve announced the next series…1000 years in the future with the Yamato as the antagonist? 

Change the future.
 The enemy is ... Space Battleship Yamato.

"Space Battleship Yamato" remake series latest work "Yamato forever REBEL3199"

1965744850_ShatnerWTF.gif.c7d75db8691639a2a3b5da774bc18f17.gif

Wow. Did not see that one coming. Can't wait to see how this turns out. 

5 hours ago, VF-Zero said:

Yamato... I have a really deep love from the bottom of my heart for Yamato Anime and Manga. 

I am a soldier's boy who grew up in Military Lodgings until i was 13. When i was 9 or something, at one of these Military Lodgings, there was a Unripe Almond Tree, which the children including me called, The Yamato. We climbed on it, 4 boys and 1 girl and played Yamato most of the time when we were outside in Military Lodgings, playing. We would eat the unripe almonds on the branches of The Yamato on summer, it was our space battleship Yamato. 

Those were really fun times which will never come back... I wonder if The Yamato is still alive, i hope they didn't cut it down. I would like to climb on it one last time and scream ''Yamato !!!'' ...one last time, before i die. 

That's a very emotional real lifestory. I really hope you will be able to see your Yamato one more time. And it actually made me wonder if there has been one personal yamato in my life.. 

This. At a glance, this appears to be a fan version of SBY 2199 Episode One (an actually good re-telling of it) but there are parts that are clearly added to the story (side expressions from other crew members especially). What exactly does that add to the story telling? If someone could cliff notes a translation, i would love to know, as i was very intrigued by the whole effort...