For a Yamato of that size that thing is severely lacking in detail. Not worth it in my eyes, not when I've seen models less than half that size with way more detail.

Crazy, I was going to pop in here this morning asking if you guys had a recommendation for a pretty big Yamato. I may actually have a spot for that monster. Two critical factors though (and two lesser factors).

-How much does it cost (I can never get the Tamashii site to work, I suck)?

-How tall is it? Does someone have a Yamato they can measure height vs length off of so I can calculate a probable height of this monster? I'm limited to 18". This one is 43.3" long.

-Is it detailed enough for my tastes?

-How much is it going to cost to ship? My guess $250-300.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, back to what I was originally going to ask. The SOC GX-86 is 17" long. While fairly large and apparently a very nice unit I would like something bigger to fill the space I have for it. Do you guys have a recommendation for something bigger? Let's say 24-36"? Also, no model kits. I don't have the time or paint skills for that.

Thanks!:hi:

Edited by sqidd

46 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Crazy, I was going to pop in here this morning asking if you guys had a recommendation for a pretty big Yamato. I may actually have a spot for that monster. Two critical factors though (and two lesser factors).

-How much does it cost (I can never get the Tamashii site to work, I suck)?

-How tall is it? Does someone have a Yamato they can measure height vs length off of so I can calculate a probable height of this monster? I'm limited to 18". This one is 43.3" long.

-Is it detailed enough for my tastes?

-How much is it going to cost to ship? My guess $250-300.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, back to what I was originally going to ask. The SOC GX-86 is 17" long. While fairly large and apparently a very nice unit I would like something bigger to fill the space I have for it. Do you guys have a recommendation for something bigger? Let's say 24-36"?

Thanks!:hi:

My recommendation is the official 2199 1/500 Bandai kit. It is 666mm (roughly 26 inches) and is the best detailed kit on the market. And is a fraction of the cost. 
https://www.hlj.com/1-500-scale-yamato-2199-ban986230

builds into a nice model too if I say so myself 😎

These are improgress pics of mine  I have since finished her but never took new pictures, She’s a big girl  

471E984B-5519-452D-B8B5-F8804E765CAD.jpeg.5b0ea7493dc6aac77b6c56c92d81d9aa.jpeg

682ACEFD-4830-4B79-8654-BD1E764FF9D3.jpeg.a965de39aab5ad4c8833ae47258d85ec.jpeg

1519EE8A-6F05-4ED2-B605-C7DA34210BF4.jpeg.23f849934510634da54bc85abc017f6e.jpeg

DDDA3467-38D5-42A9-93A0-12679EA5A425.jpeg.77b0bc4af5a8dae0324f735065cf0720.jpeg

C33CDB35-C96C-40A1-AAB2-99E6FD7218C0.jpeg.72fb8c9eeb24301e0711a9d22ee7bd50.jpeg

4518DF68-F85B-4D16-85BD-728855AF4F66.jpeg.56c969c126e4106691b9fc0c23257660.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Dobber said:

My recommendation is the official 2199 1/500 Bandai kit. It is 666mm (roughly 26 inches) and is the best detailed kit on the market. And is a fraction of the cost. 

These are improgress pics of mine  I have since finished her but never took new pictures, She’s a big girl  

That's beautiful!

The thing is......I won't be building anything.:D

@sqidd

-How much does it cost (I can never get the Tamashii site to work, I suck)?  According to P-Bandai website: 85800 yen (tax included)

I asked a friend that finished the Hachette one and will report back to you.  I think that would be the closest in terms of dimensions (37.4 inches in length by comparison)

-Is it detailed enough for my tastes?  I think this would be the largest you could get without having to build one.  But having spent some time with the Hachette version, it definitely doesn't look as detailed.  But if it is high up on the wall...maybe it won't matter as much?

-How much is it going to cost to ship? My guess $250-300.  It's quite a beast, I would be curious to know as well.

1 hour ago, sumyumgoy said:

@sqidd

-How much does it cost (I can never get the Tamashii site to work, I suck)?  According to P-Bandai website: 85800 yen (tax included)

I asked a friend that finished the Hachette one and will report back to you.  I think that would be the closest in terms of dimensions (37.4 inches in length by comparison)

-Is it detailed enough for my tastes?  I think this would be the largest you could get without having to build one.  But having spent some time with the Hachette version, it definitely doesn't look as detailed.  But if it is high up on the wall...maybe it won't matter as much?

-How much is it going to cost to ship? My guess $250-300.  It's quite a beast, I would be curious to know as well.

Yiles, this sucker will be well over $1000 shipped to the US. That sucker is pretty awesome. I'm not sure if it's that awesome though. And I'm a little worried about it being soft vinyl construction". That sounds like things get saggy after a while. IDK.  I'm going to have to think about this.

After some poking around it looks like the only non model versions that are big are the 17" long GX-86 and the monster in the pics above. Can anyone think of another option longer than 17" and smaller than 43" long.:unknw:

Edited by sqidd

• 5 weeks later...

Sooooooo what is exactly going on? Is Desler pretty much lighting the match on the justification of the Nebula Empire to go to war with Gamalas (and thus endanger Iscandar in the crossfire/The nebs looking at Iscandar as easy pickings)?

So, I have a stupid question here, what the heck happened to the Gamilas class Andromeda carriers, were they some kind of loaners or something.  So sad to see poor Berger with a triple deck that only has mocked up beam cannons that was obviously bolted on at the last minute to help Bandai sell model kits.  As for the Bolar...  underwhelming so far.  It's like the first time the Comet Empire appeared in season 1 when Domel just ran over them like some crack whore on the street with his fancy new SUV.

And Google Translation rocks:  Yuki, would you like me to urinate on you...   they may as well have gone for that.  If you can't do quality, just don't do it.

Edited by kalvasflam

6 hours ago, TehPW said:

Sooooooo what is exactly going on? Is Desler pretty much lighting the match on the justification of the Nebula Empire to go to war with Gamalas (and thus endanger Iscandar in the crossfire/The nebs looking at Iscandar as easy pickings)?

Depending on what you mean by lighting the match.  When the alternative is putting on a slave collar I can see his side of things.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

So, I have a stupid question here, what the heck happened to the Gamilas class Andromeda carriers, were they some kind of loaners or something.  So sad to see poor Berger with a triple deck that only has mocked up beam cannons that was obviously bolted on at the last minute to help Bandai sell model kits.  As for the Bolar...  underwhelming so far.  It's like the first time the Comet Empire appeared in season 1 when Domel just ran over them like some crack whore on the street with his fancy new SUV.

Indeed. I think that's where it's at. Gamilas was licensed or loaned those Andromeda-type vessels during the war with the Comet Empire. Perhaps 2205 will mention how/if the ships were decommissioned (possibly repurposed?) after sacrificing the time vault, but who knows at this point? :unknw:

As for Desslar's motives it appears, like in legacy Yamato 3, he is leading a splinter group to try and find a new home for all of his people. This time, with aggressive diplomacy instead of planet bombs, but it's still Desslar so expect the usual rough edges. Also, given the changes that were made in the renewal 2202 series, we've already seen that there is a diaspora from Gamilas who have settled with and live alongside Earthlings in certain outer colonies. I expect that could better influence how Earth reacts to the mess that Dessler is casually stepping into. I am curious to see if 2205 will use the same conceit of the sun dying that was used in Yamato 3 to get the old space battleship back in service.

18 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

And Google Translation rocks:  Yuki, would you like me to urinate on you...   they may as well have gone for that.  If you can't do quality, just don't do it.

Do we know if any of those ships survived the war..? Not that I'd be grieving...

Edited by Thom

12 minutes ago, Thom said:

Do we know if any of those ships survived the war..? Not that I'd be grieving...

We know that the Apollo Norm was sunk at the Battle of Saturn while defending a crippled Andromeda. The Andromeda was given a complete refit in the time vault after the battle, being upgraded to almost full automation. One other Andromeda-class ship was on evacuation duty. That’s three accounted for.

The fate of the rest is still up in the air?

17 minutes ago, technoblue said:

We know that the Apollo Norm was sunk at the Battle of Saturn while defending a crippled Andromeda. The Andromeda was given a complete refit in the time vault after the battle, being upgraded to almost full automation. One other Andromeda-class ship was on evacuation duty. That’s three accounted for.

The fate of the rest is still up in the air?

Considering the attrition rate I'd assume that almost all got sunk, unless canon should prove otherwise.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, TehPW said:

Something something YAMATO HASSHIN!! Something something YUKI!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

lol

Yuki is being given command of the supply carrier Asuka. Sanada is given command of the combat carrier Hyuga.

The Yamato is being refit and new personnel are being assigned to her. I think Kodai is still in command, even though he and Yuki were listed among those reported dead at the end of 2202? But this was before Akira, Yuki, and Kodai found their way out of Teresa’s universe with the Yamato.

On 8/31/2021 at 5:52 AM, Dobber said:

Oh man, that is awesome.  I love how you added panel lines to your ship.  I saw that done on CosmoDNA once.  

Anyway, awesome work, looks amazing.  I have a 2199 1/500 in my growing pile to build.

The one thing I like about the designs in the reimagined Yamato is the consistency in those designs.  The Gamilas ships have not changed much between the two series, and looks to be consistent moving ahead, sure there is variation in command ships , but those are one offs and not mass production designs.  I hope that they keep the Earth designs relatively fixed.  Stick with the Battleship and Andromeda designs, they are proven and they work.

even without the temporal fault, Earth should still be able to build Andromeda class.  It just takes longer.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

even without the temporal fault, Earth should still be able to build Andromeda class.  It just takes longer.

Maybe? The war with the Comet Empire ends in 2203, so that leaves two years for recovery and reconstruction. The allied contingent suffered major losses and isn't just focusing on rebuilding the fleet in the two years from 2203 to 2205. Thinking off the top of my head, they have to rebuild colonies, outposts, trade routes, the moon, other decimated infrastructure and so on. The time vault exponentially sped things up in this regard. Without access to that technology, Earth and Gamilas have to make concessions somewhere? This is assuming the benefit of other far future sci-fi engineering and production processes.

Anyway, the show could pull something out of its hat and say otherwise, but my perspective for now is that Earth and Gamilas are doing what they can but are not close to being 100% meaning that an interstellar conflict would put both of them at a disadvantage. 

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

The one thing I like about the designs in the reimagined Yamato is the consistency in those designs.  The Gamilas ships have not changed much between the two series, and looks to be consistent moving ahead, sure there is variation in command ships , but those are one offs and not mass production designs.  I hope that they keep the Earth designs relatively fixed.  Stick with the Battleship and Andromeda designs, they are proven and they work.

+1

I also like how the team working on 2205 is trying to keep a consistent design philosophy with 2199 and 2202. The new ships that we see in the preview appear to have a direct lineage to the agile Earth ships that we saw early on in 2199, but with improved armor and armaments, and the latest in automation technology. The Gamilas ships look derivative of their own earlier vessels too, and it will be very cool to see them in action because I expect there's more to them than what we can see at first glance.

As for the Andromeda and the other Andromeda-class vessels, I guess this is where both 2202 and 2205 are doing their own thing? In the original Yamato 2, the Andromeda was sunk at the Battle of Saturn and it was the only vessel of its class at that point in time. IIRC, Yamato 3 teased additional WMG-equipped ships but these were brief glances. I don't remember if they played key roles like the Andromeda in Yamato 2.

Edited by technoblue

On 10/3/2021 at 2:29 PM, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, pretty much that sh*t :D

8 hours ago, George Yamamori said:

Judging from the blue ships' designs, I'm guessing those greenskins are the Bolar? They look like the Gatlanteans.

I think there's a good chance that you're right. 😉

The question I have is, how will the new series team revisit the Galman/Gamilon connection in 2205?  The scene with the captive Gamilon-looking group seems to indicate that they want to put their own spin on it. I'm looking forward to seeing that play out. And, as I noted earlier, I think what it implies could have more of an impact than the setup Yamato 3 put together.

2205 is glorious. I didn't understand a lot plotwise, obviously, given there are no subtitles (I miss 2199 for this). But all 4 episodes are well animated, the CG is on point, and the story moves along at a leisurely passe. It has some quiet character moments like 2199 and awesome action pieces. Episodes 1 and 2 make the necessary prep with episode 3 hitting the ground running to get the main event of this hapter, which if you know the original New Voyage is a certain planet going Kaboom and the ensuing persuit of its neighbour and initial battle against Deda's fleet. Episode 4 ends with a bang of a cliffhanger which will have you screaming for February to hurry the F@ck up.

Only slight dissapointment at this point is that the Opening Credits are basically a clip show, with only 1 new scene of Yamato flying by added at the end. Still, they did a nice work with the edits and although its nothing new, its not too shaby either. Just wished that with all the extra time they got with the pandemic related delays they could hae made something new. But considering this isn't a full series but only 8 episodes long, they probably alocated the resourses elsewhere.

Edited by westfall

5 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I didn't hear that before.  2205 is only 8 episodes instead of 25 or so?  On the plus side we will get a US release that much sooner...

Same. I read over on Cosmo DNA that there was two distinctive chapters for the new series but I wasn't aware of the episode count.

Edit: The shorter episode count now has me wondering if 2205 is going to introduce any Yamato 3 events (like how Ark of the Stars introduced the Gatlanteans) or if it will be solely focused on a retelling of The New Voyage story.

Edited by technoblue

Actually, the Gatlanteans were introduced briefly in 2199. They were the poor shmucks Dommel was pasting before he was called off to deal with the Yamato threat. Which, in a way, makes the Yamato responsible for the threat the Gatlanteans became later? Or maybe Dommel would have ended up kicking over the Comet Empire nest sooner without the Yamato calling him off..? Hmm...

For 2205 I will miss the long story arcs, but after 2202 a tighter schedule and storyline would probably be best.