24 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

2202 ruined the design of the Comet Empire.  Other problems I might have been able to forgive...

My issue with it was the story.  Maybe it's my ADD but again,  after the yamato stalled in space and got sucked into the comet empire the story no longer had any appeal to me.  I have no idea or recollection as to why anything happened afterwards.   Maybe it isnt my ADD, because 2199 had me glued to my screen from beginning to end...

Amazon Prime Video wants me to pay about $60 for 2202..not gonna happen. Funimation's website you can watch for free with about 1000 commercials. uhgg. I just watched the 1st episode. Andromeda was cool! 

Edited by derex3592

5 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

How did they ruin the design of the Comet Empire exactly?

If you have not seen 2202 the design is entirely different (and vastly larger).  Looks like garbage to me.  I'm not fond of their mecha replacing their tanks either.

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

If you have not seen 2202 the design is entirely different (and vastly larger).  Looks like garbage to me.  I'm not fond of their mecha replacing their tanks either.

I haven't seen the original comet empire arc since I was a kid, so maybe that's why whatever changes they made didn't bother me since my memories of the designs from then are kinda hazy. *shrugs*

On 6/25/2020 at 3:08 AM, Kyp Durron said:

Speaking of SOC, I wonder why Bandai didn't release a 2202 Andromeda? Seems like that would have sold really well.

This annoyed me. I was waiting for the andromeda since it's like impossible to get the old one. They even released the gamilas ship.

13 hours ago, myk said:

My issue with it was the story.  Maybe it's my ADD but again,  after the yamato stalled in space and got sucked into the comet empire the story no longer had any appeal to me.  I have no idea or recollection as to why anything happened afterwards.   Maybe it isnt my ADD, because 2199 had me glued to my screen from beginning to end...

I started losing interest about seven or eight episodes in when Gatlantis warps in a fleet of hundreds of thousands of ships that could easily overwhelm what little existed of the UN Cosmo Fleet at the edge of the solar system and instead just gathered around in a large stationary gun formation in an attempt to deathstar laser earth. This of course gives Kodai enough time to find his missing balls, set aside his peace above all else rhetoric, and fire the wave motion gun.

At that point I'm like "Well... That was pretty dumb to watch."

44 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I started losing interest about seven or eight episodes in when Gatlantis warps in a fleet of hundreds of thousands of ships that could easily overwhelm what little existed of the UN Cosmo Fleet at the edge of the solar system and instead just gathered around in a large stationary gun formation in an attempt to deathstar laser earth. This of course gives Kodai enough time to find his missing balls, set aside his peace above all else rhetoric, and fire the wave motion gun.

At that point I'm like "Well... That was pretty dumb to watch."

Yeah, they made him very naive, and I too found that really irritating. The guy sabotaging the Yamato was also a WTF moment too, because his logic was so flawed, it was ridiculous. 

14 hours ago, Sandman said:

This annoyed me. I was waiting for the andromeda since it's like impossible to get the old one. They even released the gamilas ship.

Well, not impossible but just really expensive.  The only ones I'd trust to buy, in new condition are listing at about $600.  Why, oh why did I not buy it BITD at retail.

13 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Yeah, they made him very naive, and I too found that really irritating. The guy sabotaging the Yamato was also a WTF moment too, because his logic was so flawed, it was ridiculous. 

So what was that guy's deal again?  If he sabotages the yamato his kid gets cured right?  But then that leaves the comet empire free to annihilate the earth anyway, right?   I honestly don't remember...

Edited by myk

13 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

I don’t think this was referring to Kodai as much as the as incongruous and inconsistent level of power that was put in for character development purposes.  They could’ve figured out another way to advance Whiny boy who can’t fire a WMG in the plot without throwing in ten million ships to form the Giant gun of stupidity.

2 hours ago, myk said:

So what was that guy's deal again?  If he sabotages the yamato his kid gets cured right?  But then that leaves the comet empire free to annihilate the earth anyway, right?   I honestly don't remember...

Your memory is spot on.  It was like somebody threw plot spaghetti on the wall and each episode was a trace of a particular noodle.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Your memory is spot on.  It was like somebody threw plot spaghetti on the wall and each episode was a trace of a particular noodle.

What's worse is that most of the major events that happen (The Shut Down at the worst moment possible by Monk Guy, the BFG Fish Gun aimed at Earth, The Battles at Saturn and Mars... even the final fight to reach the interior of the Galantis Facility and Confront Lord Zoldar) could have been soooo much more dramatic if they had COMPETANT STORY WRITERS that could use those events to maximum angst. If Kodia wasn't angry that they made a wave motion fleet but that they used it to destroy the fleet holding that first false planet BY going through one of its moons. Things like that. (and that major blunder of the million G-Battleships used to make that lancer weapon instead of just zerg rushing with that fleet. That many ships would kill everything but maybe a well prepared 24th century Star Fleet...)

On 7/16/2020 at 7:21 AM, TangledThorns said:

Watch it and then forget it. I just hope 2205 is better, waaaaaaay better!

I should watch it one of these days.  Sounds like it's not worth buying, is it steaming anywhere with subs?

46 minutes ago, peter said:

I should watch it one of these days.  Sounds like it's not worth buying, is it steaming anywhere with subs?

It had a very nice start and middle (I think).  It went off the rails once the CE made it to Earth.  I freely admit I might be blocking some bad plot however.

9 hours ago, peter said:

....yes....

On 7/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, Dynaman said:

It had a very nice start and middle (I think).  It went off the rails once the CE made it to Earth.  I freely admit I might be blocking some bad plot however.

They went off the rails by the time they hit the tenth planet, episode 6 or 7?  

from the CE battleship being the absolute badass in episode 1 to becoming a look a few episodes later, to the blue tunnel of love, to the pointless backstory of CE soldiers, the entire second season was one missed opportunity after another, a pale imitation of the original.

IMO, only the Desslar side story made it bearable.  Even then they went through so many contortions to make Desslar a good guy or at least not a psychopath that it was literally painful to watch.

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

They went off the rails by the time they hit the tenth planet, episode 6 or 7?  

from the CE battleship being the absolute badass in episode 1 to becoming a look a few episodes later, to the blue tunnel of love, to the pointless backstory of CE soldiers, the entire second season was one missed opportunity after another, a pale imitation of the original.

IMO, only the Desslar side story made it bearable.  Even then they went through so many contortions to make Desslar a good guy or at least not a psychopath that it was literally painful to watch.

You mean Desslar's "why did we fight, why didnt we love one another..." or whatever he said, didn't justify your investment of time into the show at that point?  Lol...

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Now look what all of you have done!  You made me remember all that drek.  Hopefully they get back on track with 2205.  On the plus side the original show was going off the rails at that point so there is not as much to live up to.

As I said before, for what it's worth, according to an interview with the team behind 2205, they said that they want to get back to their 2199 roots. They know that 2202 wasn't as good as 2199, so hopefully they can make good on it. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

I'm in concurrence with the above that "2199" was an interesting update of the 1974 original, but that "2202" went overboard. Some thoughts, grouped approximately:

First, the over-designed mecha (CGI has led to bad habits); second, the numeric scale; third, the physical scale. If your heroes are just slightly outnumbered or outmassed (ten-to-one, not million-to-one), the comparison is easier to depict visually. There were certain signature visuals of "Yamato 2" that couldn't be replicated at the enlarged scale. "They've turned the moon into a burning ball of fire!" Soft-landing Comet City outside Tokyo to accept Earth's surrender. (According to the setting materials, the asteroid-hemisphere is 15 km wide and 6 km deep -- which doesn't actually fit in the Pacific basin near Japan, but whatever.)

There are points where the characterization is too subtle -- three of the characters are actually Zordar-iterations: Current-Zordar, original-Zordar with the four-eye headset, and next-Zordar sent to supervise Dessler. Making Teresa a superdimensional goddess (as in "Farewell to Yamato", the movie) rather than a woman with uncontained psychic powers (as in "Yamato 2", the TV series) made the character unrelatable. (Kinda like Jean Grey of the X-Men, but surely that's not a comparison that would worry Japanese writers overmuch?)

So far as writing goes: If your antagonists are motivated by an interesting philosophy, you can't dribble it over a dozen episodes -- the audience will forget the clues. Moreover, ideally it should be "show" not "tell" but there are some philosophies that can only be demonstrated by spoken debate. The "character declaims his philosophy" happens a lot in anime -- it might originally been inspired by kabuki. If the goal is to elicit an epiphany ("oh, so that's their motivation -- I'm simultaneously sympathetic yet appalled") that's really tricky.

Now, there were good points. A motivation for the White Comet Empire (cloned soldiers for yet another Aquarian child-race, whose leader-caste rebels at the idea, then leaves and finds a leftover superweapon) is more effective than the unexplored-space-barbarians of the original. (But Zordar's "love was personally painful, so I'll destroy all the sub-Aquarian races that feel it" was simplistic.) The flashback that revealed the story of the Dessler family was equally welcome, in giving Abelt a motivation other than cackling-despot.

Just finished 2202, overall I liked it, but it could have been 13 episodes & much tighter. The one thing that seriously disappointed me was the absence of the single best plot twist from the original (that was stolen to equal effect in Star Trek III). Why didn't they include  Sanada sabotaging the Andromeda while the crew hijacked the Yamato? They even gave themselves a second attempt at it when they revealed that Sanada designed the Ginga it's A.I. was about to abandon Earth, then wasted it again!

Aside from that, I thought a bit too much Aquarius foreshadowing was setup this time (this was already sufficiently done in the movie between the seasons), but I do like that Teresa has been setup as the spirit of the Yamato that will inevitably come in handy during this take's version of Final.

Also, isn't it about time to restore Matsumoto's story & design credit? The ending of 2202 had so mant Leiji & Taro Rin ism's (from post Yamato works) that it just seems fair.

Love it or hate it, it's still lightyears better than Resurrection. And Yamato 3 for that matter. In fact, they can just do the Black Star Empire & Final, 2202 already integrated far too much of 3.

Edited by Keith

21 hours ago, myk said:

You mean Desslar's "why did we fight, why didnt we love one another..." or whatever he said, didn't justify your investment of time into the show at that point?  Lol...

Well, if he clarified that further by saying "love Yuki, or Starsha" then it would've been justification.  But it's all relative, Desslar could've said: "I got up in the morning and took a dump." and that dialogue would've made up for all the emo crap from Kodai.  :nea:

41 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

^This. Although I liked that Yamato design though. 

I just looked into that Resurrection film; the dvd cover itself is 100% cringe.  Is it really that bad?

Following up on Keith: The OG Yamato projects post-Yamato 2 ("The Bolar Wars" TV series, the movies, the Resurrection movie in 2009) suffered a dramatic problem of sameness ("oh look, it's another space empire attacking Earth and only Yamato's crew has the proper spirit to defeat the threat"). (Also, the movies were long and slooow, in ST:TMP fashion.) IMHO, if you're going to keep using the same cast, you need to confront them with novel challenges. There are a few plot threads raised in 2202 that could be tapped, some of which are themes visited by Leiji Matsumoto, and which have present-day relevance: Surrendering your defense to AI, automated weapons manufacture, voluntary replacement of body parts with cybernetics. (The adversaries in the two "Dark Nebula" movies, The New Voyage and Be Forever Yamato, are a cyborg species, and Alphon, the blond with a think for Yuki, expresses some regret re: the societal choice.)

Well, in my anxiousness for the new season to show up, I decided to redecorate a corner of my room! Thankfully got my Canon Pro9000 working again and printed off some 11"/17" pics. The two Yamato pics are showing a bit of gradient along the lines, but that's invisible from a few feet away. If I had some larger file I could probably print some perfect ones out but they're more than good enough!

CGmPy3S.jpg

P02hhIa.jpg

kyQ12ak.jpg

And up in the corner.

rRyaGxR.jpg

And the printer, which I got for a steal off of eBay.

ufduY3w.jpg

Don't know if I'll do anymore, but that's my Yamato Corner!

Thom

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, in my anxiousness for the new season to show up, I decided to redecorate a corner of my room! Thankfully got my Canon Pro9000 working again and printed off some 11"/17" pics. The two Yamato pics are showing a bit of gradient along the lines, but that's invisible from a few feet away. If I had some larger file I could probably print some perfect ones out but they're more than good enough!

CGmPy3S.jpg

P02hhIa.jpg

kyQ12ak.jpg

And up in the corner.

rRyaGxR.jpg

And the printer, which I got for a steal off of eBay.

ufduY3w.jpg

Don't know if I'll do anymore, but that's my Yamato Corner!

Thom

That looks hot man...

On 7/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, Lexomatic said:

There are a few plot threads raised in 2202 that could be tapped, some of which are themes visited by Leiji Matsumoto, and which have present-day relevance: Surrendering your defense to AI, automated weapons manufacture, voluntary replacement of body parts with cybernetics.

That is part of the spaghetti problem - they bring this stuff up but go NOWHERE with any of it.  If they would have run with one of them they might have had something.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, Dobber said:

Thom those are AWESOME! I want I want! :D

Chris

On 7/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, myk said:

That looks hot man...

On 7/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, derex3592 said:

DUUUUUDE!!! That is WICKED! 

Thank you! That was the Supergirl Corner, but it was a time for a change!:D