Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

as for 25, what happened to the new girl Bond?  

As of yet, still an unverified rumor... and an unfounded one, if Executive Producer Barbara Broccoli has her way.  It seems to have gained a small amount of credence because of Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig voicing support for the idea of a female Bond in the future, and No Time to Die being tipped as Daniel Craig's final film as James Bond.

There does appear to be a grain of truth at the heart of it, though, given the content of the first trailer for No Time to Die.  Lashara Lynch's character Nomi is a British 00 agent.  Maybe not 007, but a 00 nonetheless. 

Given how poorly Terminator: Dark Fate and Charlie's Angels did at the box office, I have a feeling the character won't test well with general audiences if the dialog in the trailer is a fair representation of the character.  Hollywood's recent infatuation with sh*t-talking "tough girl" leads seems to be burning itself out via a string of box office flops.  Telling James Bond to "stay in [his] lane" would, for any other Bond, be foreshadowing that that person's going to die later when he hits them with his latest cool car.

 

Quote

Oh I get it, more Hollywood smoke and mirrors to please the progressive crowd. 

For a variety of reasons, including the board's rules, please leave your personal politics out of this. <_<

(And let's be honest, almost nobody anywhere on the political spectrum wants to see a female James Bond.)

 

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Oh no!  Bond's love interest has deep dark secret that she's been hiding!

Standard equipment from Q branch, or whomever is responsible for corralling Bond's love interests these days.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(And let's be honest, almost nobody anywhere on the political spectrum wants to see a female James Bond.)

We kind of already have this in Atomic Blond and Anna, no real need to give a female badass agent an old brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As of yet, still an unverified rumor... and an unfounded one, if Executive Producer Barbara Broccoli has her way.  It seems to have gained a small amount of credence because of Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig voicing support for the idea of a female Bond in the future, and No Time to Die being tipped as Daniel Craig's final film as James Bond.

There does appear to be a grain of truth at the heart of it, though, given the content of the first trailer for No Time to Die.  Lashara Lynch's character Nomi is a British 00 agent.  Maybe not 007, but a 00 nonetheless. 

 

I might give this movie a chance, but if James Bond ends up being anybody else but a white British male, I'm fukking walking out of the theater and asking for my money back.

Of course, they better not pull that $hit at the end of the movie, or asking for a refund might be a bit hard, lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, they got Lada back for a quick cameo.   I can honestly get behind the idea that Bond is just a code name, that scene in the lobby could be an indication. Would be nice though to have a tradition of stripping the old Bond of the name by having the successor thoroughly beating up.l the old Bond.

And Nomi could start by a swift and violent kick to the balls.  Bond hunger games.  :clapping:

 

Edited by kalvasflam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, peter said:

I might give this movie a chance, but if James Bond ends up being anybody else but a white British male, I'm fukking walking out of the theater and asking for my money back.

At least through the end of this film, it would appear that James Bond is still Daniel Craig.

Frankly, I find him so appallingly bad in the role that I'll accept practically anything as long as it replaces him.  There was talk for a while there that Idris Elba would be the next Bond, which'd be a nice reward for slogging through all the terrible roles he's been stuck with in the last decade.

 

19 minutes ago, peter said:

I dunno....007 is the code, James Bond is the name,

Prior to the James Bond soft reboot with Casino Royale, there was that fairly popular theory that James Bond was an inherited alias for the 007 codename to justify the differences in Bonds throughout the years.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An alias could give a sense of immortality after all, there will always be a James Bond.  A justification for MI6.  The guy in Skyfall could have hinted at it.  Silva could have literally meant he was a James Bond at one point with the “I was her favorite” remark.

 I wonder if the designation should change though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My quick thoughts about a female Bond.

First my quick thoughts about a non-white dude as Bond.  I've got no objections if it a Bond film taking place in our modern times.  If the movie takes places in 1950s or 1960s like in the original books that's a different story.

Now a female Bond.  I honestly don't know how they could do it.  So much of Bond's character has to do with the fact that he's a man and his relationship problems with women.  Make Bond female and your forced to just make an entirely new character who just happens to share the same name.  Do people go to these movies to watch a generic super spy adventure or to see a specific familiar character in super spy adventure?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll watch a flick about a female Double-O agent no problem as long as it’s got a good story.  Call it Tales of MI-5 or something. 
 

James Bond is a man, though. English or Scottish. Race doesn’t matter, gender does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
3 hours ago, sqidd said:

To quote my dad, "Do trailers ever make the movie look bad?"

That said, it looks like it could be good. 007 and the assistant DA vs Mr Robot and The Red Dragon.:D

 

Birds of Prey. Remember people were actually looking forward to it prior to the trailer and how all that enthusiasm deflated like a balloon upon seeing it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Birds of Prey. Remember people were actually looking forward to it prior to the trailer and how all that enthusiasm deflated like a balloon upon seeing it?

BOP looked lie a dumpster fire from the beginning to me.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

The first stunt in that trailer with him swing off the bridge and slamming his back into one of the supports would have been enough to kill him right there.

 

After Casino Royale and all the jumps he did in the first action sequence, any one of which would break his legs, I don't think that bridge swing is anything to worry about.  Super Hero movies have upped the ante (in a very bad way) on what is required in action sequences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sqidd said:

BOP looked lie a dumpster fire from the beginning to me.:D

Have to agree. But I did watch it on HBO during a lazy Tuesday evening the other day. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I mean, it wasn't good, but it wasn't THAT bad.

I'm looking for to No Time to Die, Skyfall has been my favorite Craig Bond fond movie so if this comes close then I'll be happy.

-b.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...

I'll pass and wait for No Time to Die Hard... Which I assume will take place in a nursing home during Covid. Seriously though, I'm not having much fun with Bond movies. The first DC one was fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I'll pass and wait for No Time to Die Hard... Which I assume will take place in a nursing home during Covid. Seriously though, I'm not having much fun with Bond movies. The first DC one was fun.

Yeah, they have been downhill from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Seriously though, I'm not having much fun with Bond movies. The first DC one was fun.

Same... though I didn't really have much fun with Casino Royale either.

Daniel Craig's incarnation of 007 has the action sequences under control, but it feels like he's missing most of the dry wit and charm that were at least as much a part of the character's identity under Connery, Moore, and Brosnan.  IMO, he's more of a deadpan action hero in line with the likes of Bruce Willis.

I'm probably not going to see it in theaters because of COVID, but I'll absolutely get it if it goes day-and-date streaming and when it goes to digital library as well.  My completionist streak wouldn't let me do any less.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like Daniel Craig's Bond,  but Spectre was such a mess of a story that ruined everything the other three films set up (like Mr. White going from the guy from Quantum who keeps slipping away again and again to suddenly he wants Bond's help).

 

I'm also rereading all the original Fleming novels and damn is there an extreme level of misogyny throughout them. The adventure aspect is a lot of fun but there isn't a book where Bond doesn't mention wanting to hit a woman (usually referred to as "spanking" but it is almost always described as him being angry and not playful).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig's Bond is similar to Dalton's.  Either actor would have fit in their Bond movies.  Craig's Bond suffers from lack luster story arch.  Casino Royal ended with him a broken man because of a broken heart.  Kind of like the first novel.  They could have focused on that.  Instead we get his mother relationship with Dench and this dumb Blofeld was my adopted brother and he's been behind every evil plot that MI6 have faced since I joined them.  I wish they did their own thing instead copying whatever was trending.  When are they going to fire Purvis and Wade?   They bring in new directors, new actors and new additional writers but Purvis and Wade have been on as writers for many of these films.  Some good and some bad.  Get rid of them.  Really want to see this movie but if I waited this long because of Covid I can wait a some more for the streaming release. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I'm also rereading all the original Fleming novels and damn is there an extreme level of misogyny throughout them. The adventure aspect is a lot of fun but there isn't a book where Bond doesn't mention wanting to hit a woman (usually referred to as "spanking" but it is almost always described as him being angry and not playful).

Eh, yeah... the novel version of James Bond owes a lot to Ian Fleming's own personal views, opinions, and preferences.  I've read a few analyses that argue that Bond is intentionally an awful person in the novels because they were intended as a parody of contemporary spy thrillers, but a lot of the questionable content is the author's own literary soapbox.  From the casual misogyny all the way down the spectrum to the vocal disdain for tea.  Novel Bond was absolutely kind of an arsehole.  The movies toned him down rather a lot, I think.

(Remember, there's less than 20 years separating Ian Fleming and the notoriously racist work of H.P. Lovecraft in terms of what kind of sh*t flew back then... though even at the time Live and Let Die was seen as over the top.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh, yeah... the novel version of James Bond owes a lot to Ian Fleming's own personal views, opinions, and preferences.  I've read a few analyses that argue that Bond is intentionally an awful person in the novels because they were intended as a parody of contemporary spy thrillers, but a lot of the questionable content is the author's own literary soapbox.  From the casual misogyny all the way down the spectrum to the vocal disdain for tea.  Novel Bond was absolutely kind of an arsehole.  The movies toned him down rather a lot, I think.

(Remember, there's less than 20 years separating Ian Fleming and the notoriously racist work of H.P. Lovecraft in terms of what kind of sh*t flew back then... though even at the time Live and Let Die was seen as over the top.)

Oh yeah- I totally know the time period stuff (after all, women couldn't even get their own credit cards and such until the 70s). It's just amazing to be reading along through a spy adventure novel and then it drops something crazy misogynist or racist. H.P.Lovecraft's earlier stuff is often less in comparison (hell, he writes about what he considers white trash people like the "degenerate Catskills people" more than he does other races). It's 20 or 30 years after Lovecraft (and after WWII) and Fleming is throwing out lines like "Oh yes, this club doesn't allow Goldblums or Shaumbergs- we have a no Jew policy". Fleming trying to write from a woman's perspective in The Spy Who Loved Me was very entertaining, though.

 

I did love the hatred of tea by Bond, only for him to savor it in the novel version of Thunderball when he is stuck at the clinic. And poor novel Felix gets messed up so much and keeps on going.

 

I have to say in the Craig Bond's, I love Wright as Felix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig's Bond (not HIM as such, but the character and universe) was a direct response to 9/11.  Very quickly the old Bond was no longer considered viable.  What with the Newspaper guy trying to take over the world shtick.  So Bond had to be more "grounded" and "gritty".  I think they missed a beat there, give the franchise another year or two off and the charming bit of silly would have been welcome again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...