4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

uhhhhgggg...I reeeeaallly wanted this to be good enough to justify a GOOD theater outing....doesn't sound like it is though..

My wife and I planned on seeing it as a date night movie on NYE. Don't feel like seeing Spider-Man again so I'll still watch the Matrix in the theater. I won't be telling my wife about the bad reviews beforehand though 😅

On a side note this depresses me as 2021 has been a very weak year for movies. I hoped Matrix 4 would change that, ugh.

Edited by TangledThorns

I was not planning to see it at the theater anyway (these days all I will see at a theater is most likely Star Trek or Star Wars - even knowing how they will probably turn out).  But I digress, the Matrix series up till now consists of an incredible first movie, an extremely bad second movie and a third movie that is passable at best.  

9 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

7 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Sounds about like what I expected.

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

uhhhhgggg...I reeeeaallly wanted this to be good enough to justify a GOOD theater outing....doesn't sound like it is though..

Calm down, it's just one review. Don't get the pitchforks and torches out yet.

What is the matrix 4?  Its a chance to keep the franchise alive thats what it is.

Though i must say, watching matrix 4 gave me a better appreciation of matrix 2/3 storylines.

Overall, for me it was like a revisit from an old friend for some catch up. 😅 Some parts hey good to see you again, some parts yeah moved on from that..And also replaying old 720p (or 480p?) videos. 😄

Edited by seti88

It's interesting. Weird, but interesting. I appreciated the world building and was amused by not-quite-referencing the MMO plotline but not specifically overwriting it either. I'm still not ENTIRELY sure what to think of it, I'll probably have to watch it again to be certain. But it's interesting.

9 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Overall we both liked it.  Some parts were better than others.  I enjoyed the ending with Neo and Trinity.  I want Carrie-Anne Moss to make a cameo in the John Wick movies.

Ending was kind of anti climatic for me. Seemed to be quite a fast and hasty cut of the flow of the movie to come to the ending.

John wick meets tiffany 😅

I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially when it got to explaining how the resurrection itself was done. The machines themselves were also very much in line with how they were shown through out the Animatrix.As fpr Neo's role, 

Spoiler

This was fairly close to the MZ23 III Wong Dai that I was expecting, though Neo fares decidedly better. Part of me was expecting Bugs to be the next incarnation of "The One," but this turn out is fine too.

Watched it finally after some technical difficulties.

Found it better than the two sequels.  The action sequences felt kinda bland, and the ending action sequence felt like a knock-off zombie battle.

There is some winking, nodding, and breaking of the fourth wall which was fine.

Spoiler

Though the cat video joke after the credits fell flat with me.

But something in the story and characters resonated.  Right under all the nostalgia-berries and the love story, there seems to be this snuck-in, recurring theme that all this binary, yes-or-no thinking limits us far too much.

EDIT:

Spoiler

I wonder if Io is actually the numbers 1 and 0 instead.  Makes sense given that it’s a place that humans and machines/programs work together.

Edited by Mog

Well, I've got HBO Max, so I figured I might as well watch it.  And... I liked it (although my wife got bored and left halfway through).

A couple of things... you might want to re-watch the original trilogy, because Resurrections is banking hard on the idea that you've got a solid working memory of the plot of those films.  I kind of don't... I remember the first one really well, I got bits and pieces of the second one, and I can only recall the broadest strokes of the third.  So I might take some time during Christmas break and watch all four over again.

The other thing is that if you're expecting the same sort of impact that the original film had, you're probably going to be disappointed.  This is not the deepest, most thought-provoking film.  However, it's a very self-aware film, with a very meta setup that makes the film both a sequel/soft reboot but also a commentary on sequels and reboots.

At the end of the day, though, it is what it is... a reasonably entertaining action film with strong performances by several cast members.  It's not breaking any ground or re-defining a genre.  It's not going to make you think.  You're not going to be talking about it for years to come.   But if you can accept that, what you get is an enjoyable two hours and change with the potential for more sequels down the line.

It felt "chap", "narrow" and flat.

Ironically the fight scenes sucked.

It somehow turned into a zombie movie.

The retcon job on Neo being The One was like all retcon jobs done to a beloved IP. Disgraceful.

If it wasn't supported by its history it would be a middling movie at best.

At least it felt free on HBO.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:31 PM, Atheonyirh said:

It's interesting. Weird, but interesting. I appreciated the world building and was amused by not-quite-referencing the MMO plotline but not specifically overwriting it either. I'm still not ENTIRELY sure what to think of it, I'll probably have to watch it again to be certain. But it's interesting.

This is my opinion on it as well. I definitely didn't hate it. WAY better than the 3rd one IMHO. I'll agree that the fight scenes were kinda the weakest part of the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

This is my opinion on it as well. I definitely didn't hate it. WAY better than the 3rd one IMHO. I'll agree that the fight scenes were kinda the weakest part of the whole thing. 

I desperately want them to fill in knowledge gaps.

Spoiler

What happened to Zion (and New Zion from the MMO?), what caused the energy shortage that led to the civil war given the implication was most people were going to stay in the Matrix anyways because most wouldn't want to leave and Zion wasn't exactly flush with resources to take in more, and what happened in the civil war for that matter?  What happened to the Oracle and Architect? Did Techbro Toxic-Masc a-hole NPH have them deleted somehow? What's up with the sort of techno-organic look to the one hovership with the tail and all? Are those three ships the only ones Io has?

10 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

They took one of the better villains in Smith and replaced him with Doogie Howser, MD.  Whose most threatening characteristics was likely to be the bill he gives you for his services right before Christmas. 

Hahaha 😅. One like for you!

Though we have HBO Max we avoided seeing Matrix4 till we see it NYE for date. Surprisingly most of the theaters in our area will be closed over the New Year's weekend. Thankfully our local Alamo Drafthouse will play it so we'll have dinner at the same time but their seats are nowhere near as nice ICON's. Seriously, ICON has warming seats!!

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

The whole time I was watching the movie in the back of my head I was saying "The Drinker is going to shred this".:lol:

Well, It deserved to be shredded, thrown into a mucky dumpster along with all the other 2021 detritus, and set afire for good measure... and The Drinker did not disappoint, :drinks:

This was a fun ride, the meta commentary had me rolling more then once. Action was lower then the John Wick films, but it's hard to beat those in the first place. 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, Mog said:

EDIT:

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder if Io is actually the numbers 1 and 0 instead.  Makes sense given that it’s a place that humans and machines/programs work together.

Spoiler

Didn't think of that till now, but good catch, the name seemed strange at first.

Also Lambert Wilson's rant during the mid act fight was hilarious in context. Like I could hear him just reading the comment sections before they were posted. 

Course how the movie ended and the message in general I'm hoping the studio took the hint and this will be the last Matrix movie that tries to continue the narrative, a prequal could make for a interesting action flick, but Neo's story is done and buried. 

it sounds as though WB execs are saying after poor numbers and reviews along with the fact this movie was going against Spider-man, they're abandoning any indications they'll either do any future films of the Matrix series. Meaning no prequels, no new trilogy, it's not worth it.  

Doesn't surprise me if that's the truth, I felt this film was just not needed and was maybe Warner Bros. way of scraping the barrel cause their DC films are lacking. 

I’m sure that came into play, but I know Wachowski also wrote this film while dealing with one or two parents’ death.

This seems to come through with all the nostalgia berries and sentimentality in Resurrection.

EDIT:  

Spoiler

Regarding the Pitch Meeting, yeah, the machine civil war probably would have made a more interesting film.

Edited by Mog

4 hours ago, Focslain said:

Course how the movie ended and the message in general I'm hoping the studio took the hint and this will be the last Matrix movie that tries to continue the narrative, a prequal could make for a interesting action flick, but Neo's story is done and buried. 

I'b be all in on a movie about the machine civil war.:good:

It's too bad that they didn't try and make a good movie out of this one. They were on to something with what the new "Architect" (I can't remember what he was called) was saying about how most people only care about there feelings and taking a not too subtle jab at Facebook, Twitter, etc. If they had built the movie around that, thus making it timely  and poignant they could have done something as groundbreaking as the Matrix was is 1999. Maybe a cameo from Neo or something but for the most part something that had moved on from the OG Matrix series.

I don't think very many people went to see the new one because Reeves or Moss was in it. They went because it was a Matrix movie. They didn't need those two stars to fill seats. They could have done it with a fresh faced cast and a fresh/updated story..........................and spent the money the saved on "star pay" for the action scenes.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I don't think very many people went to see the new one because Reeves or Moss was in it. They went because it was a Matrix movie. They didn't need those two stars to fill seats. They could have done it with a fresh faced cast and a fresh/updated story..........................and spent the money the saved on "star pay" for the action scenes.

This echoes some of my sentiments about the sequel Star Wars trilogy.  And we all know how that turned out.  ;)

Maybe it's for the best if the company is making a business decision to not make any more 'Matrix' films?