Hmm, sequels.

Breathtaking news that The Matrix 4 is gonna be made and I hope the Wachowski brothers don't f*ck it up. No idea how Carrie-Anne Moss is making a return though... 

On a side note its been 20 years since the first film.

The Matrix 4 Officially Happening with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/20/matrix-4-officially-happening-with-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss

14 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

Honestly, with how disappointing the sequels (and frankly everything else Matrix that isn't the first movie) were, I really don't think this franchise even deserves another installment.

Kinda with you on that one. Reloaded and Revolutions were a hot mess, but Keanu-mania is at an all time high so now is as good a time as any for filmmakers to try and use that to their advantage.

-b.

The first Matrix was the best. The sequels were alright, but really only worth one watch for me, and that's mostly because

Spoiler

Neo and Trinity both died at the end.

Don't see how they can undo that, so they'll either be in flashbacks or clones.

Actually Neo didn't die, he was taken back to "the source," which I always correlated with Yahagi Shogo in Megazone 23 being taken into the ADAM system & becoming Wong Dai (after Part II and into Part III).

In fact, you can chalk up a lot of Matrix plot to things that happened in Megazone 23.

The sequels are some of the dumbest, most up their own butts, overstuffed messes of movies ever. But good goddamn if they aren't still the best live-action anime adaptations until Speed Racer took that honor. The 100 Smiths fight? Great. The massive movie-long battle against the clock with drills vs gorilla-looking mecha vs footsoldiers vs squiddies vs the Hammer? Awesome. The Matrix Saiyan fight? ...okay, yeah, that one's not great, but also in retrospect I kind of love it.

The movies aren't that good, for sure, but damn if they didn't make the most of their insane budget. And that first one still stands the test of time. I'd been feeling a bit nostalgic for ht series; I'm totally in for a 4th movie, maybe one last hurrah.

3 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Why?  Reeves has a strong career without dipping back into that well, and unless I'm remembering wrong didn't he and Carrie's characters die at the end?

Neo's end was ... a thing. It might charitably be described as "layered thick with vivid biblical and arthurian imagery"(or less charitably as "copied wholesale").

To put it delicately, the biblical reference is exceedingly clear about how impermanent that particular death is.  While the arthurian side is less concrete, it still carries strong implications of resurrection.

So I'd very much argue against Neo being dead-dead as opposed to recovering in Cyber-Avalon before his return.

Maybe they reloaded Trinity from a backup?

And the "death scene" is pretty much all I remember of Matrix 3. But all I remember of the second movie is the girl eating the cake, so I guess "shamelessly overt literary and religious symbolism" is a step up. I guess there was a scene where Neo fought a whole bunch of Agent Smiths somewhere in there.

I've never had much desire to rewatch either one. I sorta feel that The Matrix needed no sequels, let alone the ones it got, and try to forget that they piled more onto it.  I kinda hope that Matrix 4 just ignores everything but the first movie.

I honestly can't even remember what happened to Neo at the end of 3.

All I remember of 3 was those really poorly designed mecha with absolutely no armour or protection for the pilots fighting the Sentinals.

I've tried my best to put both 2 and 3 out of my mind.

The Matrix is one of, if not my favorite movie of all time.  The sequels... are not.  While I don't hate them as much as most people seem to, (they seemed to make more sense to me than most), I still wouldn't call them great movies.  So as a fan of the franchise... I don't really care about this.  And that has got to be a problem for the success of this movie.  I'll probably see it eventually, but probably not in theaters, unless it looks a lot better than I expect.

The first matrix is one of those movies that should have just been left alone.  But Hollywood has gotta Hollywood.

The Matrix is my most watched movie ever. I've watched it at least a dozen times and knew every single line of the movie. With that being said the franchise should be left alone to rest in peace. 

And considering that the Wachowski brothers are now  trans"women", I'm afraid it's just going to be the usual SJW "woke" BS we have nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:

Mod hat on.  

Discuss the movie and franchise to your hearts content.  Cut out the trans talk.  

Thank you.

Mod hat off.   

No Transformer talk here.  Can't have Robots changing into cars and planes changing into robots! :D

On 8/20/2019 at 5:01 PM, Mazinger said:

No one can be told what the Matrix 4 is. You'll have to see it for yourself.

Lol yes, yes:good:

As much as y'all are baggin on the sequels , they made $$ and influenced the industry. They didn't invent the wheel (thank you John Woo) but they sure as sh** made it roll in style.:p

People are still talking about the Matrix and what it means..

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

As much as y'all are baggin on the sequels , they made $$ and influenced the industry. They didn't invent the wheel (thank you John Woo) but they sure as sh** made it roll in style.:p

The first one?  Absolutely.

But the sequels?  Nope.  All I remember were kewl, over-the-top fight scenes and the Architect spouting off a bunch of verbose mumbo-jumbo.

No doubt that the first one deserves all the accolades and praise it got.

But the sequels?  They never lived up to this awesome mission statement:

Edited by Mog

Although clunky in many aspects number 2 and 3, went into heavy detail explaining how the concept of all knowing , omnipresent God like figures could actually exist in a world that we understand. 

In Greek mythology  the gods were powerful but always had to whisper and Influence humans In order to shape the world as they saw fit(it isn't explained why, it's just the way it is). This idea relates to human free will. In the matrix , the god like me creatures that Influence the will of humans are programs  so powerful that they could calculate the probability of possible outcomes and try to Influence the world as they see fit based on quantifiable Information. 

Bringing down the concept of a god to human terms, I think, is a pretty powerful message, and it is why I am a big fan of all the movies ,despite their weird dance scenes and the presence of waaaaaaay too much latex.