[Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Old_Nash

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Not having seen the original is doing you the disservice of not understanding why switching the focus turned out to be more interesting than another reboot (of which there have been 2).

I get that, but a lot of people these days haven't seen the original series, this was supposed to be a jumping off point for new fans, and I don't think it was a very good one. They went in aiming to subvert expectations, and mission accomplished, but I never really had expectations beyond thinking this was a fresh start, instead I got a shake up for a several decades old series I hadn't seen. I guess I may check out one of the more recent reboot series, this wasn't really what I was expecting. 

Honestly, I think everyone was expecting a lot more out of the original series or something. The first episode really does the most perfect job of recapping the og series. There were no major things happening, just a fun show that advertised cool toys with some bad sound work. Normal people having a good day, Skeletor attacks, Adam becomes He Man and Abe’s the day. It was very simple.

In just about every preview and interview it was stated that this was a direct sequel and not a reboot. And for better or worse that really seems to be what we got. Some silly designs that make a good kids toy and super cheesy dialogue with surprisingly bad acting.

I’ve only watched the first 2 episodes and I think what I’m really disappointed by is the simplistic storytelling and the voice acting. For having all these star actors, very few are tolerable. Teela is the worst. She got all buff over the years and only has this weird kid sounding voice. Many of the others feel out of place as well, but maybe that’s a nod to the old filmation crappy sound.

I only watched the first episode. It was ok. More adult I guess. I'm not sure as I don't really remember a lot about the original show even though I had the toys. Had some comics too. I remember the smell of the plastic on He-Man figures. It was cool seeing the characters again. I checked wiki and see that I missed another He-Man show. I'll probably rewatch all of them one day and then get to this new one since it's not finished yet.

I know I saw the Teela statue from Tweeterhead some months ago and was going to get her before seeing this new show.

teela-legends_masters-of-the-universe_gallery_606e53818e2c7.jpg.0c1ab3747eb5fb5942f72033dd4d93a1.jpg

So maybe I'll get the statue and get into the show sometime later this year. I don't think I'll get the new toys. I see some people are going crazy attempting to find the new Castle Grayskull. I never liked that one as a kid. I think because the scale was off or it didn't seem livable.

I watched He Man as a kid and it was fun. I watched this show not expecting much but no matter how you slice it, it's not a He Man story at all and they made the main character into a joke. If they had named the miniseries something like People of Eternia or something and then it would have been acceptable but I can't stand a bait and switch. That said the first episode was decent- and then the remaining 4 episodes are a downhill ride in quality of storyline.

2 minutes ago, Syro said:

If they had named the miniseries something like People of Eternia or something and then it would have been acceptable but I can't stand a bait and switch. 

You know the Netflix show isn't called "He-Man" right? 

I just checked it out. I've never watched He-man as a kid. I agree that it felt like a bait and switch from the trailers (not the name). That said, having no connection to He-man from my childhood, I wasn't offended by it. I think the famous voice actors do the show a disservice (excluding MH). The voices are too recognizable and agree that SMG doesn't seem to fit Teela. I did enjoy the retro stuff, especially the intro to episode 1. I would guess that the overall story is leaps and bounds better than anything that's ever appeared in He-man previously since 80s cartoons were more commercial than show. The Snake Mountain stuff was a bit creepy... not sure how my kids would handle that. There seemed to be a nice escalation of the stakes toward the end of the arch as we get some death and the threat of a more permanent death from the character spared death. It'd be fun if they did five episode archs focusing on a new character each time. I'll check out the next five episodes when they're available.

Just now, jenius said:

You know the Netflix show isn't called "He-Man" right? 

Neither was the original toyline or the Dolph Lundgren movie. Hell, it wasn't the full title of the original cartoon either. That doesn't change what everyone called all three of them.

If you use the name "Masters of the Universe", then everyone will call the show He-Man and expect it to be ABOUT He-Man. And if you use He-Man as your primary marketing angle, then people are going to be even more justified in believing that a show named after the original He-Man toyline and cartoon, featuring a swath of original He-Man toyline and cartoon characters, is going to be about He-Man punching Skeletor and throwing his lackies off bridges repeatedly.

If they had called it Teela and the Masters of the Universe, you'd have a fair argument. But no, they actively worked for a bait&switch. They wanted everyone to think it is He-Man, believe it was He-Man, get hyped for He-Man, and then make a show that is NOT He-Man.

Visually interesting and there are some highly talented voice actors lending their talents.  Historically I enjoyed Smith's writing, but he has gone woke and panders to whims of the corporate overlords. This reboot should have been honest and simply named Teela. Completely false advertising and misleading AF.

I really don’t feel that the shift in characters was a bad thing. Smith said over a month ago that this would focus on a female character and I think he even named Teela. Honestly I like the change. My problem is the writing and the voices. I’ll probably finish the show soon and have more to judge. But I don’t think it’s a show to really go out of your way to watch and isn’t necessarily deserving of absolute hate.

23 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Neither was the original toyline or the Dolph Lundgren movie. Hell, it wasn't the full title of the original cartoon either. That doesn't change what everyone called all three of them.

If you use the name "Masters of the Universe", then everyone will call the show He-Man and expect it to be ABOUT He-Man. And if you use He-Man as your primary marketing angle, then people are going to be even more justified in believing that a show named after the original He-Man toyline and cartoon, featuring a swath of original He-Man toyline and cartoon characters, is going to be about He-Man punching Skeletor and throwing his lackies off bridges repeatedly.

Clearly you're a lot more invested in your He-man history than I am... but the original show was "HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE" right? So, when a follow up show drops the name He-Man.. i mean, it's a clue? Just sayin'. As I said before though, the trailer was all sorts of iconic I HAVE THE POWER for a show that's all about nobody having the power any more, there's plenty to feel misled about. 

1 hour ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Visually interesting and there are some highly talented voice actors lending their talents.  Historically I enjoyed Smith's writing, but he has gone woke and panders to whims of the corporate overlords. This reboot should have been honest and simply named Teela. Completely false advertising and misleading AF.

This show has like 80% less of the homoeroticisn of the original, does that even qualify it to be "woke." As for Kevin Smith in general, just because it's not "Vulger" or "Tusk" doesn't mean he "sold out." 

You guys & your catch phrases!

Just because Teela is currently the main character doesn’t necessarily make this a woke agenda cartoon. It’s a change up for sure, but it’s really not that big a deal. To be honest He Man is kinda a boring character anyway. He’s a kids cartoon hero that can never do wrong and has no real flaws other than being weak in his normal life. He’s overpowered and kinda boring. I don’t hate him, but I don’t mind a refocus.

10 minutes ago, Big s said:

Just because Teela is currently the main character doesn’t necessarily make this a woke agenda cartoon. It’s a change up for sure, but it’s really not that big a deal. To be honest He Man is kinda a boring character anyway. He’s a kids cartoon hero that can never do wrong and has no real flaws other than being weak in his normal life. He’s overpowered and kinda boring. I don’t hate him, but I don’t mind a refocus.

And all the flashbacks capture that perfectly. He-Man is still as 1-dimensional as everyone wants him to be.

Granted, it's been 35+ plus years since I watched the show with any kind of real attention; but I don't think my memory is that misplaced.  Yes, Skeletor is the ultimate Baddie of Eternia but one who still answers to Hordak to a degree.  I don't see Hordak and the Horde very happy with Skeletor when the whole universe starts to die off because Skeletor has decided to finally attempt true desperation tactics and succeeded; so far.  So other than ruining the rest of the universe already established by the original shows, the Revelation is confirmation of Teela's mother and her need to overtake that role or she becomes Eternia's new She-Ra.  Not upset, just disappointed; nothing new with Netflix.  

20 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I only got three episodes in but got pretty tired of it. I've never seen a single full episode of the original series, or any He-Man series really, so I went in thinking this was a reboot series, it's not, it's a sequel to the original series, and maybe one more series after that? I don't remember, or care really. I went in wanting to see a He-Man reboot, I didn't get that, I got The Teela Show. I feel the marketing for this series pulled a bait and switch, hard, the trailers and little Netflix previews you get when you scroll over the series shows a lot of He-Man footage, basically all of which comes from the first episode...

Reveal hidden contents

He-Man, or his prince counterpart, "dies" in the first episode. Bummer, because that first episode was what I wanted and expected, He-Man, in 2021, all expensive, with the Masters of the Universe, fighting Skelletor. Then Teela becomes the protagonist, and she's just insufferable. She's arrogant, entitled, egotistical, and most importantly uninteresting. The prince dies in the first episode, and she immediately makes it about her, whining to everyone about not being told the Prince was He-Man, complaining about being left in the dark on that big secret, but, like, the god damn prince, He-Man, just died, a family lost their son, get over yourself. Then she implied she would've been a better savior had she been given the sword instead, which to me, kills the point of He-Man. To me, he's Captain America. A true hero in heart needed to be found to wield this power, not someone who's already powerful and competent at fighting, it's like if in First Avenger they went with the big beefy soldier guy Tommy Lee Jones suggested, you don't give someone powerful more power, you find someone with the heart, a true hero, then make them powerful. Teela isn't that, she's already a badass, and powerful, she's not an underdog, hero at heart savior that the sword should go to. 

I'm not one to usually complain about this, but this series has done something I've seen quite a bit of in Hollywood lately, and that's shitting, if you will, on established male heroes to prop up the female ones. That's gross, and bad writing. The princes dad shits on him, then Teela gets a whack, Man at Arms is drug through the mud for his incompetence, Teela and her girlfriend complain about the patriarchy a number of times, and it's all just not necessary. These female characters can be badass and competent on their own, write them that way, this new idea of completely dumping on the past while propping up these new diverse female heroes is shallow. Show don't tell. Which the show certainly does, but it's not without it's now seemingly obligatory, "all the male heroes of the past failed and were weak and stupid." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it comes off as egregious. 

There's only five episodes, so I'm sure I'll finish it some day, but for now, this was a bit of a drag. It's just not what I was expecting, and had the show had a better, more interesting and relatable protagonist, I'd probably be able to stay on board, but nope, Teela is like, the worst. 

You saved me from wasting my time. I can't stand the "Guuuurrrll power" crap that has been coming out of Hollyweird. 

My daughter and I watched the whole season and she liked it. Se remembered seeing the original series when she was five. She also felt this would have been better suited as a movie vs a series of episodes.

The new show was interesting. I was more mesmerized by the use of characters which were never animated, or that I’ve never seen before.

We’ll be waiting for season two.

I figured I would give this a go as this appears to be the topic of the hour.    Honestly He-Man was never really a big deal to me back in the 80's it was more like just a filler cartoon between the things I was into.    Looking back on them now He-Man like other shows from the 80s were pure cheese,  but more on this in a bit.

Having watched all of it,  I was kinda just like MEH.    I agree that they should have just called this series Teela and been done with it.   Much the same as the Voltron reboot should have been called Paladins because of the utter lack of the title character.    As mention previously the first episode was what I expected,  had it carried that I probably would have had a better time with this.

Back on the 80's cheese..  ALMOST every reboot has been utter garbage,  and while I don't think this is quite Dumpster Fire material I can see why people are upset with it.

honestly I see fans more upset that they were lied to about the finished product more then anything else.    I find it dubious that anything like this would be popular with the Zoomer crowd,  as this was directly marketed towards the 80s kids crowd.

TLDR.. MEH it's about what I expect from hollywood anymore. 

Smith flat out deceives and lies to the target audience about The Masters of the Universe. A bait-and-switch was done involving the marketing, interviews, and even the toys. I understand why Smith changed up the character focus and story lines, however, doing so definitely alienates the target audience. This series is definitely not a reboot, and is not suitable for the average new viewer. The series imposes multiple assumptions on the viewer (new and old), namely, remembering and understanding the complex character developments/relationships.

Intersectionality, woke-ness, and social justice warrior (SJW) identity politics is constantly rammed down audiences throats by Holly-woke and Masters of the Universe is no exception. You can easily witness these disgusting elements, if you understand what Smith is depicting. As for Teela, I stand by my previous assessment, she demonstrates woke-ness, SJW, and an extreme irrational moral outrage towards everyone. Her outrage is based on a perceived injustice and her "feelings", because how she feels is paramount. However, Teela is not a victim by any means, nor is she repressed due to her gender.

Spoiler

In the first episode alone her promotion to Man-at-Arms was earned based on merit, yet the show had to remind us of her gender. More importantly, when she discovers she was not privy to Adams secret, she utterly fails to understand the reasoning behind such an important decision. Onion-skinned Teela feels horribly betrayed, to the extent she feels compelled to abandon her family, friends, and responsibilities. Instead of recognizing and appreciating how Adam made the ultimate sacrifice and that he is a true protector of Eternia, she simply expressed irrational outrage. It is also interesting to note, Cringer and Evil-Lynn share with Teela what really mattered about her relationship with Adam; yet she dismisses the truisms they reveal. To make matters worse, when Teela had the incredible opportunity to see Adam again years later after he dies, she actually lectures him how his actions made her feel bad. How utterly disgusting. Teela made Adams heroic sacrifice, ALL about her.

By the end of the first season many male characters are killed off. I have no issues with purposefully and tactfully using death to further plot and character developments; however to SJW, intersectionality, and woke activists, it just highlights how strong women cannot be depicted as standing besides strong men.

In truth Teela is simply not an enjoyable character, nor one seasoned, or new viewers can easily connect with and that is unfortunate. Smith's series is Masters of the Universe in name only. This beloved franchise deserves much better than this weaponized political piece of trash.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

56 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

This series is definitely not a reboot, and is not suitable for the average new viewer. The series imposes multiple assumptions on the viewer (new and old), namely, remembering and understanding the complex character developments/relationships.

I've never understood why reboots are considered necessary by some. When I was a kid I read some old comics, jumped in the middle and then chased down the back issues for the full story. That was the best part.

59 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

ntersectionality, woke-ness, and social justice warrior (SJW) identity politics is constantly rammed down audiences throats by Holly-woke and Masters of the Universe is no exception. You can easily witness these disgusting elements, if you understand what Smith is depicting. As for Teela, I stand by my previous assessment, she demonstrates woke-ness, SJW, and an extreme irrational moral outrage towards everyone. Her outrage is based on a perceived injustice and her "feelings", because how she feels is paramount. However, Teela is not a victim by any means, nor is she repressed due to her gender.

Hide contents

In the first episode alone her promotion to Man-at-Arms was earned based on merit, yet the show had to remind us of her gender. More importantly, when she discovers she was not privy to Adams secret, she utterly fails to understand the reasoning behind such an important decision. Onion-skinned Teela feels horribly betrayed, to the extent she feels compelled to abandon her family, friends, and responsibilities. Instead of recognizing and appreciating how Adam made the ultimate sacrifice and that he is a true protector of Eternia, she simply expressed irrational outrage. It is also interesting to note, Cringer and Evil-Lynn share with Teela what really mattered about her relationship with Adam; yet she dismisses the truisms they reveal. To make matters worse, when Teela had the incredible opportunity to see Adam again years later after he dies, she actually lectures him how his actions made her feel bad. How utterly disgusting. Teela made Adams heroic sacrifice, ALL about her.

By the end of the first season many male characters are killed off. I have no issues with purposefully and tactfully using death to further plot and character developments; however to SJW, intersectionality, and woke activists, it just highlights how strong women cannot be depicted as standing besides strong men.

In truth Teela is simply not an enjoyable character, nor one seasoned, or new viewers can easily connect with and that is unfortunate. Smith's series is Masters of the Universe in name only. This beloved franchise deserves much better than this weaponized political piece of trash.

100%.  Social and political commentary should stay out of our stories. Particularly the current brand of it.

Still surprised every time I see complaints about "woke" anything on MW, a forum dedicated to the most "proto-woke" franchise ever. Guess that just goes to show how many are just plain asleep.

It’s not so much the comments about “woke-ness” that keep me from watching the series, but rather Teela’s self-centered reaction to the big reveal, the trope of everyone trying to tell her the “other” big secret but getting cut off, and some of the main plot points that make me debate whether to even spend the time to watch this.

I’ve got no issue with a character’s sexual orientation (Castlevania showed how to do it right with well-written and fully formed characters).

And to be honest, even as a kid, I kinda loathed the original Filmation cartoon.

Oh well, maybe I should seek out that early 2000’s MOTU series.

Eh, the series is fine.

The chaos that is built up in the first part creates a high-stakes scenario for the heroes. Something the old cartoon wasn't really able to realize. Mind, I didn't invest much time in MotU as a kid so I was willing to watch the new show with an open mind. It's got some cool callbacks to the original cartoon and I didn't have a visceral reaction to any character moments that challenged my own (albeit limited) understanding of MotU lore. I mean, the show even gives a certain goofy sidekick character a possible conclusive arc that's well deserved and honorable to boot. 

The moments with Teela were completely understandable to me. I didn't take offense to any of it. I guess, as always, YMMV.

5 hours ago, Keith said:

Still surprised every time I see complaints about "woke" anything on MW, a forum dedicated to the most "proto-woke" franchise ever. Guess that just goes to show how many are just plain asleep.

Yeah, I don't pay attention to "woke" criticism. Too many on the internet use that term now for its shock value---not really my thing at all.

I watched this over the weekend, I'm fine with the story so far, but I was also somewhat disappointed that it didn't have more He-Man.

My thoughts:

The intro in the first episode for everyone to get to speed was disappointing with the usage of comic or classic toy art. I would have preferred it to homage the original cartoon more.

To me (Evil)-Lynn, Man-At-Arms and Roboto were the most likeable characters in this. Also is Andra a completely new character, my memory can't recall her from the original show?

I don't like the in-universe split of magic being something entirely different from science. I question the necessity of this being a spiritual continuation of the original show, it feels like there is a lot of force injecting of universe mythology into something that never really had it. I think the 200x cartoon would have been a better platform to work with and continue.

While watching this I couldn't help feel that the story setup and angle seemed strangely familiar, but it wasn't until today that it occurred to me what it was - Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Same sort of thing, heroes head to action, it goes wrong, post-battle there is outfall, we follow from the viewpoint of one of the betrayed and the build up of a rag-tag band, that need to fix things because there is imminent total destruction. At least the DC title makes it unmistakeable that it is not going to be standard Superman/Batman fare.

2 hours ago, lechuck said:

I watched this over the weekend, I'm fine with the story so far, but I was also somewhat disappointed that it didn't have more He-Man.

My thoughts:

The intro in the first episode for everyone to get to speed was disappointing with the usage of comic or classic toy art. I would have preferred it to homage the original cartoon more.

To me (Evil)-Lynn, Man-At-Arms and Roboto were the most likeable characters in this. Also is Andra a completely new character, my memory can't recall her from the original show?

I don't like the in-universe split of magic being something entirely different from science. I question the necessity of this being a spiritual continuation of the original show, it feels like there is a lot of force injecting of universe mythology into something that never really had it. I think the 200x cartoon would have been a better platform to work with and continue.

While watching this I couldn't help feel that the story setup and angle seemed strangely familiar, but it wasn't until today that it occurred to me what it was - Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Same sort of thing, heroes head to action, it goes wrong, post-battle there is outfall, we follow from the viewpoint of one of the betrayed and the build up of a rag-tag band, that need to fix things because there is imminent total destruction. At least the DC title makes it unmistakeable that it is not going to be standard Superman/Batman fare.

I'd watch Constantine Vs Skeletor.

So I finally finished the show, or at least the available episodes. I think everyone saying there is some kinda woke political agenda is really just try to justify their own political agendas. This show is far to simple for any of that. I don’t think this show is great and really isn’t worth the time if you think any of other people’s complaints would resonate with you.

The real problems come mostly out of directing and casting of the voice actors. The writing is weak as well and the animation is kinda choppy. It’s a kids show with h slightly more violence and language that makes it not quite mature enough for teens and maybe too mature for children. 

The real problem with the Teela character isn’t just her voice, she seems written by a nerdy dude that thinks that’s how a female character is supposed to be. It’s like The writing for female characters in Zeta gundam. Or most Gundam. I don’t think it’s political at all, just kinda on the stupid side.

Overall the last couple episodes aren’t as bad as the first three. There’s potential, but I’ll keep my hopes low and maybe I’ll be surprised by the upcoming second part

2 hours ago, Big s said:

So I finally finished the show, or at least the available episodes. I think everyone saying there is some kinda woke political agenda is really just try to justify their own political agendas. This show is far to simple for any of that. I don’t think this show is great and really isn’t worth the time if you think any of other people’s complaints would resonate with you.

The real problems come mostly out of directing and casting of the voice actors. The writing is weak as well and the animation is kinda choppy. It’s a kids show with h slightly more violence and language that makes it not quite mature enough for teens and maybe too mature for children. 

The real problem with the Teela character isn’t just her voice, she seems written by a nerdy dude that thinks that’s how a female character is supposed to be. It’s like The writing for female characters in Zeta gundam. Or most Gundam. I don’t think it’s political at all, just kinda on the stupid side.

Overall the last couple episodes aren’t as bad as the first three. There’s potential, but I’ll keep my hopes low and maybe I’ll be surprised by the upcoming second part

Did you just badmouth Emma Sheen? Them's fightin' words!

In response to those of you attacking people that aren't woke enough for you.

-You're doing exactly what you accuse the non woke of doing. Judging someone based on one social cue and then grouping them all on with each other. I think there is a word for that.....

-You're making the wildly incorrect assumption that being sick of having the woke message shoved down your throat means that the person/people don't believe in all of he same things you do. Maybe, just maybe these people your going after are simply sick of being beaten over the head reputedly about something they agree with you about.  When you push people, they will push back.

-Beating on people, going after them on the internet, telling them that they are horrible people about something they agree with you about is exactly what got Trump elected. Keep it up. The results you will get next time will make Trump look like a problem you would rather have.

-Lastly, no one accused this show of being Woke. Only that you don't need to tear down male characters or  a show's history to to make women more powerful, assertive, have more screen time, etc.  Only the people defending wokeism are calling it woke. To borrow a line from @jenius, I think that says a lot more about "The Woke" than it does about who they're going after. Essentially, to the woke, it's impossible to be woke enough to make them happy.

Edited by sqidd

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

In response to those of you attacking people that aren't woke enough for you.

-Lastly, no one accused this show of being Woke. Only that you don't need to tear down male characters or  a show's history to to make women more powerful, assertive, have more screen time, etc.  Only the people defending wokeism are calling it woke. To borrow a line from @jenius, I think that says a lot more about "The Woke" than it does about who they're going after. Essentially, to the woke, it's impossible to be woke enough to make them happy.

I'm not tearing down not woke people necessarily. There are a million ways to pick apart any media that are all valid but saying "oh it's woke" sounds more like a personal problem. It could mean the media is fantastic but you're just sick of having every show represent established characters in more inclusive ways. Like when a character changes race or orientation, maybe it's still a good show, the person complaining it's woke just doesn't like the old character being changed. That tells you more about that person than the show. 

This topic has been locked.

Did this before with some Star Wars topics.  Hollywood is always tweaking your beloved childhood favorites.  Some changes make sense and others don't.  If any of these Sequels/Reboots are inferior products it is because of a number of questionable decisions.   Here (like with other fandoms) we'll always get some critics that will use some "woke based" argument.   These products are unsuccessful because they are bad in nearly every category.   It is not because they made some changes to make things more inclusive.  For those outside of fandoms it creates the appearance that fandoms are dominated by a bunch of intolerant people.  When critics here object to such changes it is nearly always included comments about things being "woke."  These comments tend to border on the political - something that isn't allowed.    When topics like this drift away from the subject itself to a discussions on society that border on intolerance and politics things get locked.