[Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Old_Nash

I just want it noted that I'm scoring their sound direction 0/10 solely because there wasn't a reverb effect when Adam shouted "I have the power!".

But using "I Need a Hero" for the commercial was nice.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, JB0 said:

I just want it noted that I'm scoring their sound direction 0/10 solely because there wasn't a reverb effect when Adam shouted "I have the power!".

But using "I Need a Hero" for the commercial was nice.

Yeah. They also need to darken Adam/ He-Man's eyebrows a bit. They almost get lost in the scenes and he looks browless to me! O.o

Quite excited for this, the animation quality looks really good. Infinitely better than that new "She-Ra" abomination.

I certainly hope it stays broadly true to the 80's story with no jarring changes to the nature of the characters.

Dare I hope for a classic Battlecat vs Panthor encounter somewhere along the way?:D

Edited by Podtastic

18 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Dare I hope for a classic Battlecat vs Panthor encounter somewhere along the way?:D

At our local con, my brother had one of the artists do up a cutsey image of a younger Battlecat, and thus Battlekitten was christened.  :D  I have been racking my brain for over a year to come up with a concept as cute and simple as that, but nothing so far!

https://imgur.com/HJurmPtHJurmPt.jpg

Edited by CoryHolmes
Added picture

4 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

At our local con, my brother had one of the artists do up a cutsey image of a younger Battlecat, and thus Battlekitten was christened.  :D  I have been racking my brain for over a year to come up with a concept as cute and simple as that, but nothing so far!

https://imgur.com/HJurmPtHJurmPt.jpg

Its like a Battlecat chibis.

This reminds me of the time I recoloured  a photo of my sister's cats to make them look like Battlecat and Panthor. Pity I don't have that pic anymore. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hachi said:

Looks great.

Now the only question would be if the story/plot is any good.

Wait. Was the original series that good? I mean for adults like us now? Back then I was just super focus on its toys commercials in between. ;)

Hahaha! Just kidding kabayan. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Wait. Was the original series that good? I mean for adults like us now? Back then I was just super focus on its toys commercials in between. ;)

Hahaha! Just kidding kabayan. :lol: 

Hahaha to a kid back then anything looked great  😛

The og show is terrible, but great for the jokes. The action is always pulling its punches so it’s not too violent, the stories were more like lessons, but Skelletor was the king of insult comedy. He roasted everyone and everything, no one was safe from his scathing tongue. He may not have ever accomplished physically hurting anybody, but deep down inside everyone was left hurting and probably cried themselves to sleep.

23 hours ago, Big s said:

The og show is terrible, but great for the jokes. The action is always pulling its punches so it’s not too violent, the stories were more like lessons, but Skelletor was the king of insult comedy. He roasted everyone and everything, no one was safe from his scathing tongue. He may not have ever accomplished physically hurting anybody, but deep down inside everyone was left hurting and probably cried themselves to sleep.

What I hated about it back in the day was that I wanted it to be like the initial minicomics (Magic Stealer etc) and it was just a censored kiddy toon.

This looks great, there are only 2 things I dont like so far:

1) Is it just me or is Teela looking a little butch?  I'm not a fan of what Marvel did to She Hulk.

2) Cringer talking. Never liked that, its silly.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, Podtastic said:

What I hated about it back in the day was that I wanted it to be like the initial minicomics (Magic Stealer etc) and it was just a censored kiddy toon.

Even with Transformers and GI Joe, I found myself vastly preferring the character bios given on the cards or in the back of the comics.  The Who's Who of the Marvel comic run was fabulous because they presented fully fleshed-out characters, and not just the quick caricatures given in the 22 minute episodes.  That initial Marvel comic entry is what made me fall in love with the character of Starscream, despite the fact that none of the screen adaptations have done that well.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen it yet... but fans ain't happy with Kevin Smith. Kevin Smith ain't happy with  fans . 

Different franchise...yet dejavu.

I only got three episodes in but got pretty tired of it. I've never seen a single full episode of the original series, or any He-Man series really, so I went in thinking this was a reboot series, it's not, it's a sequel to the original series, and maybe one more series after that? I don't remember, or care really. I went in wanting to see a He-Man reboot, I didn't get that, I got The Teela Show. I feel the marketing for this series pulled a bait and switch, hard, the trailers and little Netflix previews you get when you scroll over the series shows a lot of He-Man footage, basically all of which comes from the first episode...

Spoiler

He-Man, or his prince counterpart, "dies" in the first episode. Bummer, because that first episode was what I wanted and expected, He-Man, in 2021, all expensive, with the Masters of the Universe, fighting Skelletor. Then Teela becomes the protagonist, and she's just insufferable. She's arrogant, entitled, egotistical, and most importantly uninteresting. The prince dies in the first episode, and she immediately makes it about her, whining to everyone about not being told the Prince was He-Man, complaining about being left in the dark on that big secret, but, like, the god damn prince, He-Man, just died, a family lost their son, get over yourself. Then she implied she would've been a better savior had she been given the sword instead, which to me, kills the point of He-Man. To me, he's Captain America. A true hero in heart needed to be found to wield this power, not someone who's already powerful and competent at fighting, it's like if in First Avenger they went with the big beefy soldier guy Tommy Lee Jones suggested, you don't give someone powerful more power, you find someone with the heart, a true hero, then make them powerful. Teela isn't that, she's already a badass, and powerful, she's not an underdog, hero at heart savior that the sword should go to. 

I'm not one to usually complain about this, but this series has done something I've seen quite a bit of in Hollywood lately, and that's shitting, if you will, on established male heroes to prop up the female ones. That's gross, and bad writing. The princes dad shits on him, then Teela gets a whack, Man at Arms is drug through the mud for his incompetence, Teela and her girlfriend complain about the patriarchy a number of times, and it's all just not necessary. These female characters can be badass and competent on their own, write them that way, this new idea of completely dumping on the past while propping up these new diverse female heroes is shallow. Show don't tell. Which the show certainly does, but it's not without it's now seemingly obligatory, "all the male heroes of the past failed and were weak and stupid." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it comes off as egregious. 

There's only five episodes, so I'm sure I'll finish it some day, but for now, this was a bit of a drag. It's just not what I was expecting, and had the show had a better, more interesting and relatable protagonist, I'd probably be able to stay on board, but nope, Teela is like, the worst. 

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I only got three episodes in but got pretty tired of it. I've never seen a single full episode of the original series, or any He-Man series really, so I went in thinking this was a reboot series, it's not, it's a sequel to the original series, and maybe one more series after that? I don't remember, or care really. I went in wanting to see a He-Man reboot, I didn't get that, I got The Teela Show. I feel the marketing for this series pulled a bait and switch, hard, the trailers and little Netflix previews you get when you scroll over the series shows a lot of He-Man footage, basically all of which comes from the first episode...

Reveal hidden contents

He-Man, or his prince counterpart, "dies" in the first episode. Bummer, because that first episode was what I wanted and expected, He-Man, in 2021, all expensive, with the Masters of the Universe, fighting Skelletor. Then Teela becomes the protagonist, and she's just insufferable. She's arrogant, entitled, egotistical, and most importantly uninteresting. The prince dies in the first episode, and she immediately makes it about her, whining to everyone about not being told the Prince was He-Man, complaining about being left in the dark on that big secret, but, like, the god damn prince, He-Man, just died, a family lost their son, get over yourself. Then she implied she would've been a better savior had she been given the sword instead, which to me, kills the point of He-Man. To me, he's Captain America. A true hero in heart needed to be found to wield this power, not someone who's already powerful and competent at fighting, it's like if in First Avenger they went with the big beefy soldier guy Tommy Lee Jones suggested, you don't give someone powerful more power, you find someone with the heart, a true hero, then make them powerful. Teela isn't that, she's already a badass, and powerful, she's not an underdog, hero at heart savior that the sword should go to. 

I'm not one to usually complain about this, but this series has done something I've seen quite a bit of in Hollywood lately, and that's shitting, if you will, on established male heroes to prop up the female ones. That's gross, and bad writing. The princes dad shits on him, then Teela gets a whack, Man at Arms is drug through the mud for his incompetence, Teela and her girlfriend complain about the patriarchy a number of times, and it's all just not necessary. These female characters can be badass and competent on their own, write them that way, this new idea of completely dumping on the past while propping up these new diverse female heroes is shallow. Show don't tell. Which the show certainly does, but it's not without it's now seemingly obligatory, "all the male heroes of the past failed and were weak and stupid." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it comes off as egregious. 

There's only five episodes, so I'm sure I'll finish it some day, but for now, this was a bit of a drag. It's just not what I was expecting, and had the show had a better, more interesting and relatable protagonist, I'd probably be able to stay on board, but nope, Teela is like, the worst. 

Not having seen the original is doing you the disservice of not understanding why switching the focus turned out to be more interesting than another reboot (of which there have been 2).

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Hide contents

WTF, are you serious?  Lol, that is brutal.  Might skip this one then, doesn't sound like something I want to watch.  The Netflix "Gen 1" TF series also turned into a steaming pile of excrement. 

Getting bored with TV.