SDF-1 3D Model + 3D Print [SD Machine Style]

UN_MARINE

• 4 weeks later...

This is Awesome Global's Pipe Holder! I don't know how I missed this post?! Everything about this design screams fun and would be cool with Lights & Sound! This compliments the joke machines very well, and I wish Bandai would bring them back!

It would be cool if this was a kit that uses ABS with some die-cast so the final assembly would be a more toy / hobby grade product. You could also offer swap-able main cannons, Bridge / Head, Feet, and arms to switch between TV and movie SDF-1's. 

I would love if this design had an effects sensor in it so while you transform it it would make the sounds effects. Light up thrusters and bridge with sound effects would be cool!

How tall is the 3d printed toy in Storm Attacker?

3 hours ago, RedLion said:

This is Awesome Global's Pipe Holder! I don't know how I missed this post?! Everything about this design screams fun and would be cool with Lights & Sound! This compliments the joke machines very well, and I wish Bandai would bring them back!

It would be cool if this was a kit that uses ABS with some die-cast so the final assembly would be a more toy / hobby grade product. You could also offer swap-able main cannons, Bridge / Head, Feet, and arms to switch between TV and movie SDF-1's. 

I would love if this design had an effects sensor in it so while you transform it it would make the sounds effects. Light up thrusters and bridge with sound effects would be cool!

How tall is the 3d printed toy in Storm Attacker?

Thanks!

In theory, the model is designed to be cast-friendly. I suppose under ideal circumstances, somebody could make a production quality version.

I stuck with the TV version because it's mechanically simple compared to the DYRL version. (And less parts/detail to model).

There's a enough room to fit a simple electronics package with some modification - if it's printed large enough, you can install all sorts of gimmicks.

It's about 9 inches tall in Storm Attacker mode.

8 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I'm considering buying a 3D printer just to print this. Not sure what a good model to buy would be and how much of a learning curve there is to learn how to use it. 

Definitely want this. 

Cool! I'm not really sure which printer to suggest, I also need to do some research for a new one. There should be a few that are pretty much "plug and play" with minimal tinkering required before it runs properly.

6 hours ago, jenius said:

KitzConcept should buy this design from you and make it part of their SD line.

I'm open to selling the design to a 3rd party, although I'd prefer not contributing to a certain trademark holder. ;)

On 4/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, UN_MARINE said:

Thanks!

In theory, the model is designed to be cast-friendly. I suppose under ideal circumstances, somebody could make a production quality version.

I stuck with the TV version because it's mechanically simple compared to the DYRL version. (And less parts/detail to model).

There's a enough room to fit a simple electronics package with some modification - if it's printed large enough, you can install all sorts of gimmicks.

It's about 9 inches tall in Storm Attacker mode.

Nice! I wish I had an resin style printer and mold making abilities!  9 inches tall is a nice size I would like to see it 12 inches tall if electronics were inside. You should consider a way to make this into a kit so that you can be rewarded with all your hard work! Be careful of Etsy, if you upload a Manufacturer in China could steal your design and do a short run, making a fortune off your design! 

With all that said, this need to be made into a product similar to the 3rd party Transformers!!

7 hours ago, RedLion said:

Nice! I wish I had an resin style printer and mold making abilities!  9 inches tall is a nice size I would like to see it 12 inches tall if electronics were inside. You should consider a way to make this into a kit so that you can be rewarded with all your hard work! Be careful of Etsy, if you upload a Manufacturer in China could steal your design and do a short run, making a fortune off your design! 

With all that said, this need to be made into a product similar to the 3rd party Transformers!!

A resin printer would be ideal. I think if the model is scaled to 1.2x, it'll hit the 12 inch mark. I may have some options for making a short run of kits, but the biggest roadblock is shipping - way too expensive from here.

6 hours ago, RedLion said:

UN_MARINE, the file is not available for purchase and download? Do you know what is wrong with the site?

It looks like it's a problem with the Stripe payment processor on their end. It could be a mobile device or region thing?

If the problem persists, I'll look into migrating the files to another site.

8 hours ago, UN_MARINE said:

A resin printer would be ideal. I think if the model is scaled to 1.2x, it'll hit the 12 inch mark. I may have some options for making a short run of kits, but the biggest roadblock is shipping - way too expensive from here.

It looks like it's a problem with the Stripe payment processor on their end. It could be a mobile device or region thing?

If the problem persists, I'll look into migrating the files to another site.

I will try again  later today and on Friday. If I have any issues I will let you know. Also are you planning to release the Armed Carriers soon, and where are you located?

Also I would only use the resin printer to print mold able parts, then cast the parts in the proper color. Even though I know that would take a lot of effort!

14 hours ago, UN_MARINE said:

I have a small format resin printer, the AnyCubic Photon. Build volume is only 115x65x155mm.

Would probably have to downscale to print it on that. Totally willing to give it a shot though.

19 hours ago, RedLion said:

I will try again  later today and on Friday. If I have any issues I will let you know. Also are you planning to release the Armed Carriers soon, and where are you located?

Also I would only use the resin printer to print mold able parts, then cast the parts in the proper color. Even though I know that would take a lot of effort!

Apparently, the site's been having this issue since January, hopefully it's resolved soon.

The ARMD carriers still need a few adjustments, and a test print before I can send them out.

I'm located in the Philippines - shipping estimates range from $65-$120, from here to anywhere.

Ideally, most of the model is printed in ABS for a little flexibility, and resin for a clear canopy, the tiny Destriod Monster, and the center hull vents (sometimes, the FDM printer ignores the details).

14 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I have a small format resin printer, the AnyCubic Photon. Build volume is only 115x65x155mm.

Would probably have to downscale to print it on that. Totally willing to give it a shot though.

The model/s currently fit in a 140x140x140mm bed, it should fit when scaled down to 80 or 90%.

At least as far as how the models are arranged right now (16 sets).

If the parts are separate, you could definitely print at 100% or larger, except you'd be dealing with 134 parts total, consisting of 80 unique parts.

Honestly wouldn't mind doing individual parts. Sure printing takes longer, but less material usage and cleanup. Also gives better control of part orientation.

Someday I'll be able to use the printer again, someday when I can find isopropyl to do cleanup afterwards.

8 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Honestly wouldn't mind doing individual parts. Sure printing takes longer, but less material usage and cleanup. Also gives better control of part orientation.

Someday I'll be able to use the printer again, someday when I can find isopropyl to do cleanup afterwards.

I can make arrangements for the individual files. I just hope the site will let me upload 80+ files for a model.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Ha!

Some day, not going to boot up the printer anytime soon, the smell is too much when I'm working from home.

No worries haha! I also still need to resolve the file hosting issues, and possibly migration to another site (and possibly renaming all 80 part files to match the assembly manual).

On 4/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, UN_MARINE said:

While we're playing with renders, here's what it might look like with minimal paint/stickers.

SDF1_PLUS_00a.jpg.1a10be8ee7c79512526aee6ed9ee7f88.jpg

Very Nice! The ARMDs look very god as well! I'm still not able to download the files, I wonder if it is because I'm in the USA? Please let me know when and if you have plans to publish the files on another site!

3 hours ago, RedLion said:

Very Nice! The ARMDs look very god as well! I'm still not able to download the files, I wonder if it is because I'm in the USA? Please let me know when and if you have plans to publish the files on another site!

Thanks!

It looks like the site administrators are finally aware of the problem, but are taking their time with the fix. They suspended all paid transactions for now, it doesn't seem like a region thing.

I'll let you guys know when I've migrated the files to a new site.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, UN_MARINE said:

Thanks!

It looks like the site administrators are finally aware of the problem, but are taking their time with the fix. They suspended all paid transactions for now, it doesn't seem like a region thing.

I'll let you guys know when I've migrated the files to a new site.

Thank you so much!! Cheers!

Apparently, the Pinshape admins have checked out - there are multiple reports of bots and anomalous files being up/downloaded, and no response in the forums.

I've migrated most of the files to CGTrader, but I'm still waiting for their payment agreement verification before I can upload the SDF-1.

The GU-11 and AMM-1 files are still free to download.

CGTrader page

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, any chance you could export the files as parasolid (x_b, x_t), STEP (stp, step), or IGES (iges)?

I wanted to chop the files up into individual parts for my resin printer, but my CAD package is an engineering one and doesn't like working on STL files.

9 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Just wondering, any chance you could export the files as parasolid (x_b, x_t), STEP (stp, step), or IGES (iges)?

I wanted to chop the files up into individual parts for my resin printer, but my CAD package is an engineering one and doesn't like working on STL files.

Unfortunately, STEP and IGES aren't an option for me - the formats tend to crash my PC (or the processing takes forever).

I uploaded the separate STL files in zip/rar archives instead. I hope that's a little more manageable to work with.

2 hours ago, UN_MARINE said:

Cool! Let me know if there are any problems with the files.

Look good so far. Can't wait to print it out, downscaled a bit.

Also found out that apparently Macs have built-in STL previews in the finder (explorer) windows.

One question, I guess: what's the largest part? As a baseline for setting the scale to fit my resin print volume

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Look good so far. Can't wait to print it out, downscaled a bit.

Also found out that apparently Macs have built-in STL previews in the finder (explorer) windows.

One question, I guess: what's the largest part? As a baseline for setting the scale to fit my resin print volume

Excellent!

The largest parts are the Prometheus deck, at 85mm x 37mm x 15mm and the foot parts, at roughly 65mm x 40mm x 22mm.

19 minutes ago, UN_MARINE said:

That's great! I'm excited to see how it turns out on your end. :D

It'll be a while, I have nowhere near enough isopropyl to properly clean prints right now. Of course COVID panic hits right before my printer arrives. Oh well.