Binged season two over the weekend and loved it, definitely ready for season 3. I'm not too sure about all these announced spin-offs though, more animated stuff, a prequel series, an animated special for the prequel series, I hope Netflix doesn't stretch this Witcher stuff too thin. 

I really like Henry Cavill. He has some interesting insights into how he played Geralt in both season 1 and 2, along with his other roles, in this video. I had no idea he was in Count of Monte Cristo either! Always fun seeing things like that from older movies you enjoyed.

Chris

Season 2 was better than 1. I still question the choices they made for the ladies... Ciri is spot-on, but Triss and Yennefer still have me scratching my head. Some tweaks to the witchers at Caer Morhen were objectionable to me. Dijkstra was unusual to me, too. Despite some casting shenanigans it's excellent. I liked another character they revealed that I thought was spot-on, but don't want to spoil it.

Very ell done! Finished season 2 and loved it! Once again, a very strong cast of characters who were all very well written, which are the most important bits. But also a great story and FX to tie it all together. And that reveal at the end! Nice.

Also really appreciated the lack of sex scenes in this season, as well as the restrained nudity. Hopefully they (and others) will continue to pull away from the GoT schitck of having (almost) every actor sowing off their naughty bits. 🙄

Now I've got another wait for the next season!😭

Edited by Thom

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

So... Liam Hemsworth is replacing Henry Cavill in the final season of The Witcher. Very odd and I think it has to do with the recent news of Cavill returning as Superman.

The Witcher Renewed for Season 4 by Netflix, Liam Hemsworth to Replace Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witcher-renewed-for-season-4-by-netflix-liam-hemsworth-to-replace-henry-cavill-as-geralt-of-rivia

There's rumors he's been at odds with the entire rest of the crew since the first episode, as he's basically the only one involved that cares about the books and games. And several of the writers have expressed active hatred for the source material. He may just be completely unwilling to ride this train to the final stop after the writers moved it from Albuquerque to Saskatchewan.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

There's rumors he's been at odds with the entire rest of the crew since the first episode, as he's basically the only one involved that cares about the books and games. And several of the writers have expressed active hatred for the source material. He may just be completely unwilling to ride this train to the final stop after the writers moved it from Albuquerque to Saskatchewan.

I’ve heard that rumor as well. They were saying that every time something seemed off, he’d be the one to point it out. Supposedly he’s a real big gamer, not only video games but table top stuff as well.

hopefully Liam can get his grunt on

The only thing I really remember him in is ID4 Resurgence. His acting was alright, maybe too much screaming... But Cavill is Geralt to me, and it will take a hell of a lot to replace his version of the Witcher. I think there is one more season, Season 3, with Cavill, so I hope he knocks it out of the park. And who knows, if the story is wrapped up enough at the end of 3, maybe S4 (if Liam can't carry the sword) could be optional viewing.

14 minutes ago, Thom said:

The only thing I really remember him in is ID4 Resurgence. His acting was alright, maybe too much screaming... But Cavill is Geralt to me, and it will take a hell of a lot to replace his version of the Witcher. I think there is one more season, Season 3, with Cavill, so I hope he knocks it out of the park. And who knows, if the story is wrapped up enough at the end of 3, maybe S4 (if Liam can't carry the sword) could be optional viewing.

The only things I really remember him from were the hunger games and one of those expendable movies. He’s one of the lesser Hemsworths, but that might work to his advantage since no one is just gonna see Thor standing there

20 hours ago, JB0 said:

That may be but I'm wondering if Cavill was under contract till season 4?

38 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

That may be but I'm wondering if Cavill was under contract till season 4?

Maybe. We never know with the streaming shows. He probably had 3 seasons on contract with options for 4 & 5, if Netflix continued.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Maybe. We never know with the streaming shows. He probably had 3 seasons on contract with options for 4 & 5, if Netflix continued.

I could see the contract being for only three seasons. Around that time when they were starting the show Netflix had made many statements saying that they only planned three season shows. I think it was to try to get a grip on the fact that they were in a major cancellation craze at the time. Even shows like lost in space ended up planned to only have three seasons. They’ve moved away from those statements though, probably realizing that some of their shows like Stranger Things keep the subscriptions

Liam Hemsworth To Replace Henry Cavill In ‘The Witcher’ Season 4 After Early Netflix Renewal

According to sources, Cavill had made a short-term deal for The Witcher and felt it was time to move on after three seasons on the show, which films overseas and has a demanding production schedule. He already has film and TV projects lined up, including the just announced The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare, in addition to the Superman return. Cavill’s Witcher co-stars renegotiated their contracts heading into Season 4, sources said.

So yeah, it seems like the stars all had 3-season contracts. Probably for the best, like @Big s said, Netflix's tendency to cancel shows and their declining subscription base is likely working against them.

• 1 month later...

Well, this makes me feel a whole lot better about the situation!! This gonna be huge with Cavill as WH40K is his obsession!!

Warhammer – starring Henry Cavill

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/16/warhammer-starring-henry-cavill/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=amazonseries&utm_content=amazonseries16122022

Edited by TangledThorns

I'll definitely give Liam Helmsworth a chance, as he might be good in the role. He must have shown some promise in auditions for them to think he can follow up on Cavill.

And I'm glad for Cavill, if Warhammer is his true jam, but dang the vagaries of Hollywood!:angry:

As far as The Witcher, they figure since Batman has been played by many actors, they can do the same with this character.  I'm not sure it's gonna work for this series ..

I'll certainly be checking out the WH40K content. Especially with Cavill onboard.  

4 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Assuming there will be a season 4. Or is Netflix so prideful that even after all of the backlash from Cavill leaving they're still going to throw $100M+ at a season that will certainly be boycotted by a large portion of the audience?

I won't watch season 4. The show isn't even great now. Cavill is the only thing holding it together IMO.

There will be a season 4. Season 5? We know Netflix's history of killing shows after a season so who knows after that.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

As I understand, Cavil is in season 3 and Liam is set to take over in S4..?

Correct. Unfortunately, Season 3 doesn't drop until Summer 2023. Netflix announced Season 4 a few months ago. So we'll likely see Season 4 sometime in 2024

3 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

Do you have confirmation of this? I just searched around and I can't find anything that says they have started shooting.

I don’t think they’ve started shooting yet, but it’s in the works. From what I’ve heard it’s mostly gotten through finalizing the cast and most of the preproduction 

5 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

So it can absolutely have the plug pulled.

That was my point. Will NF throw $100M+ at a season that looks like it's doomed?

Why does it look like it’s doomed? The show is popular and they announced the recasting. 

Well, how many seasons were they planning from the start? Was 4 supposed to be the last anyway? And how will the fan base be upset with the recast?

Personally, if they close up enough of the story lines by the end of 3, if they do cancel it, I won't be too bummed.  Way more bummed than Cavil not doing Supes anymore, but I'd survive that.

6 minutes ago, Chunky001 said:

The show isn't THAT popular.

Most Witcher fans think Cavill is the only thing holding it together.

Cavill leaves because of the writing.

Lots of people will leave with Cavill.

Do the math. If you were a smart network exec would you bet huge money on a 4th season under those circumstances?

You seem to be creating your own narrative here that might not exactly be accurate. 

Frankly, I got badgered into watching this show an am not really a fan of it. So, I don’t really have a dog in this race. But Netflix is going to keep making the show as long as the streaming numbers are there.

14 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

So it can absolutely have the plug pulled.

That was my point. Will NF throw $100M+ at a season that looks like it's doomed?

Honestly, I think you have a pretty good point. A lot of bigger shows didn’t get past the third season on Netflix. If they haven’t started filming, then I could absolutely see them scrapping the project. I haven’t heard that they are going to, but maybe if the spinoff doesn’t do well, that may be a determining factor. Right now it’s kind of a wait and see.

But the big question is if Liam can grunt as well as Henry?

• 4 months later...