It’s kinda tough to say how these new variants react to the vaccines. Some, not many have actually died from them after vaccination. I think it’s up to personal discretion. My Girlfriend and I are both fully vaccinated and got to the movies. The seating at the ones we’ve been to are separated by a few seats, so you’re never right next to anyone. 

It really comes down to how comfortable someone feels though going in and I’m not one to judge anyone for wanting to stay home for personal safety. Honestly it’s probably the smarter decision, but I also won’t judge anybody that wants to get back to real life again. I just hope that no one has to be aggressive about their decision and would hope that those joining back into society at least get a vaccine to help end this thing.

Zero expectations this will be a good action film. Tony Leung is a fantastic dramatic actor and I thoroughly enjoy his older dramatic works. But physically Tony is stiff, tiny, and unbelievable as an overpowering martial arts master/action star. Yes he did The Grandmaster film, but the action sequences while beautifully filmed, bordered on fantasy and superhero powers. Tony's Grandmaster film competed with IMO the far superior IP MAN film by Donnie Yen and it was not as well received by audiences compared to any of Donnie Yen's IP MAN films.

Audiences watch Donnie Yen because he looks awesome and highly believable as a martial artist/action performer. Inorder to make Tony even closely believable DIS needs to use tons of wire-fu, cuts, and edits. Simply put, Tony is horribly out of his element and he was miscast; it is like casting Jacky Chan to do Shakespeare's MacBeth. 🤮

Simu Liu is considerably more believable as the main lead, opposite of Tony. It helps he possesses some martial arts training and the physique. He can do comedy so not too concerned if he is believable. Time will tell how audiences will receive this film, but I have mixed to low hopes.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I have yet to see a truly bad MCU film. There have been some that aren’t as good as others and a couple that I could have waited to watch for free, but none that I hated. Black Widow was a mess, but I think it was an enjoyable mess and that along with the Iron Man sequels are my least favorite. But I still enjoyed watching them, so I’m pretty sure this will be at the very least entertaining and may surprise me and be great.

As much as I want to support this movie, with delta still raging sadly i won't be risking the trip to a theater.  it looks like it may be cheesy but good in that sort of way.  rotten score of 90% isn't bad so far.  hope the execs keep the current sentiment re: pandemic and theater going in mind when considering how well (or poorly) this is received in the box office.  i want it to be good and if it is, i want it to do well.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, Big s said:

I have yet to see a truly bad MCU film. There have been some that aren’t as good as others and a couple that I could have waited to watch for free, but none that I hated. Black Widow was a mess, but I think it was an enjoyable mess and that along with the Iron Man sequels are my least favorite. But I still enjoyed watching them, so I’m pretty sure this will be at the very least entertaining and may surprise me and be great.

Agreed. There are many weak MCU films, notably Iron Man2 and Thor2, IMHO. However none have ever reached the crappiness that was Wonder Woman 84 or Batman & Robin.

3 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

As much as I want to support this movie, with delta still raging sadly i won't be risking the trip to a theater.  it looks like it may be cheesy but good in that sort of way.  rotten score of 90% isn't bad so far.  hope the execs keep the current sentiment re: pandemic and theater going in mind when considering how well (or poorly) this is received in the box office.  i want it to be good and if it is, i want it to do well.

I'm rationalizing the D+ fee foe what I'd spend at a theater anyway, even if it won't be up until October 

Just can’t get excited about this movie, no matter how many excellent HK actors and actresses they put in there.   Mainly because they put Awkwafina in this movie, or as I’d like to call her Awfulfina or Awkwardfina, take your pick, having her in there just drags the movie down, not if they have Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and Donnie Yuen would they be able to balance out her awfulness.

🤮

Surprised to see this thread so quiet, went to see Shang-Chi earlier today and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Easily in my top 3-5 MCU films behind Endgame, The Winter Soldier.

Even Awkwafina who I find to be generally annoying in everything I've seen her in didn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, she was still very much Awkwafina, but her character was relatively likable and the movie did not suffer at all from her being in it. Hell, I even rooted for her in a few instances.

The first two thirds of this movie were just really, really good. The third act was good too but the climax went full Marvel with the CGI - something that felt extraneous when compared to the rest of the movie. A minor critique at best.

Great action/fight choreography, strong emotional arcs, GREAT cameos, good humor, solid soundtrack and it left me wanting more.

If I can find the time I want to see this in the theatre again.

-b.

IO

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Surprised to see this thread so quiet, went to see Shang-Chi earlier today and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Easily in my top 3-5 MCU films behind Endgame, The Winter Soldier.

Probably because not many are willing to go to the theaters again. I do plan on seeing the movie on the 15th though.

It was good, make sure you watch the “All Hail the King” Marvel short on Disney+ first.  

I did feel that it jumped around in time a lot, as a result the main story felt really short.  Happened very fast. Also the final fight was over the top.  I did really like the actor who played Shang Chi.  

On 9/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Kanedas Bike said:

Even Awkwafina who I find to be generally annoying in everything I've seen her in didn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, she was still very much Awkwafina, but her character was relatively likable and the movie did not suffer at all from her being in it. Hell, I even rooted for her in a few instances.

The first two thirds of this movie were just really, really good. The third act was good too but the climax went full Marvel with the CGI - something that felt extraneous when compared to the rest of the movie. A minor critique at best.

Great action/fight choreography, strong emotional arcs, GREAT cameos, good humor, solid soundtrack and it left me wanting more.

If I can find the time I want to see this in the theatre again.

-b.

You are far kinder than I am on this movie.  All I can say is one word:  Awfulfina.  Marvel needs to get rid of these useless characters.  The movie had some good points, but they needed to not have Awfulfina, I really don’t dig the connections to the US, as she is obviously a shitty attempt to form some kind of connection to second or third generation Chinese kids who are basically clueless about China.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, TangledThorns said:

IO

Probably because not many are willing to go to the theaters again. I do plan on seeing the movie on the 15th though.

My showing was packed, 12:40 PM on a Friday. While everyone was masked, and I'm fully vaccinated I was annoyed to see no more social distancing.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, levzloi said:

It was good, make sure you watch the “All Hail the King” Marvel short on Disney+ first.  

I did feel that it jumped around in time a lot, as a result the main story felt really short.  Happened very fast. Also the final fight was over the top.  I did really like the actor who played Shang Chi.  

That's my biggest gripe, most of the action/fights were as grounded as they could be for a Marvel movie. The fight scenes weren't gritty per say, but they weren't comic book over the top like the final showdown was.

11 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

You are far kinder than I am on this movie.  All I can say is one word:  Awfulfina.  Marvel needs to get rid of these useless characters.  The movie had some good points, but they needed to not have Awfulfina, I really don’t dig the connections to the US, as she is obviously a shitty attempt to form some kind of connection to second or third generation Chinese kids who are basically clueless about China.

Interesting. I'm not Chinese so I can't relate to the cultural implications of what it's like growing up in a Chinese American household where parents/grandparents have one set of ideas/principles and kids/grandkids have another having grown up in the states. But the movie very much centered around parents and the legacy they leave, and expectations they have for their children. Shang Chi being THE main character with this theme.

In any event, I feel she plays the same character in every movie I've seen with her in it, but she didn't distract or ruin the movie nor did she pull me out the scenes she was in. Just kind of this side-kick, maybe something more in future-installments kind of character.

-b.