You know, I think we all want the Natalie Portman from the Professional, but what we always wind up getting the the Natalie Portman from ROTS. 

Well, slap up a set of armor on her, and see if she's worthy....  As long as it's as humorous as the last one, it might work.  The problem is she is perhaps known for being too serious in her role for her own good. 

I know Portman's performance hasn't been inspired (major fault lies with the writing of her character), but I'm still gonna watch because Taika Waititi is the director. I didn't like Thor 2 that much, but Ragnarok was way, way better. It is my belief that the director is a major part of a film's success. I haven't read much Thor comics so I don't have any large expectations--but in Taika I trust.

Edited by hachi
clarification

So, I haven't watched that one fantasy spoof "Your Highness" that had Portman in it, so I don't know how that turned out, or how she was in it (I heard it wasn't great).  I think I've just never really seen her attempt much comedy.  Maybe the director will make a bigger difference than I'm expecting.

I admit though, I'm absolutely up for seeing it either way, since I enjoyed the first two Thor movies more than I probably should have.  I think I'm just keeping my expectations managed for how they work Jane back in.

• 5 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, Chronocidal said:

So, I haven't watched that one fantasy spoof "Your Highness" that had Portman in it, so I don't know how that turned out, or how she was in it (I heard it wasn't great).  I think I've just never really seen her attempt much comedy.  Maybe the director will make a bigger difference than I'm expecting.

I admit though, I'm absolutely up for seeing it either way, since I enjoyed the first two Thor movies more than I probably should have.  I think I'm just keeping my expectations managed for how they work Jane back in.

She played the "straight man" in that film.  She did fine playing against the two morons though.

I know Beta Ray Bill is a thing. I saw the sculpted head in Ragnarok. Beta Ray Bill was one of my favorite marvel characters at the time Walt Simonson was doing Thor comics. Beta Ray Bills story arc was awesome. I'm just having a hard time picturing CB playing BRB. If he does, i hope he does the role justice.

Another concern here is related to BRB's story. It would definitely conflict with Natalie P's character, whom we've all heard is to eventually wield Mjõlnir. There's some cramming to do ..

The Avengers stuff completely lost me with Endgame (I was on my way before that). I thought it was awful. I'm so sick of time travel to solve writing problems I want to gouge my eyes out. The fan service was over the top. And the stakes were not nearly high enough IMO. Something with a story arc that long and with that much on the line frankly didn't kill enough people off. That said, Thor Ragnarok was fantastic. Do another of those and I'm in. Otherwise I'm done with the MCU.

25 minutes ago, sqidd said:

The Avengers stuff completely lost me with Endgame (I was on my way before that). I thought it was awful. I'm so sick of time travel to solve writing problems I want to gouge my eyes out. The fan service was over the top. And the stakes were not nearly high enough IMO. Something with a story arc that long and with that much on the line frankly didn't kill enough people off. That said, Thor Ragnarok was fantastic. Do another of those and I'm in. Otherwise I'm done with the MCU.

Lack of tension is my issue. If there was an active threat for every stone they went after, I think that would have put it at the same level of excitement as Infinity War.

Does having Jane wield the Mjolnir really that exciting and interesting? 

Beta Ray is on the "these are our guesses"  list. Some of those characters are way off IMO. And shouldn't be on the list. But if Beta Ray Bill IS going to be in this movie, CR might want to play him. I would also hope they keep BRB's likeness very similar to his comic image. Once we figure out who "the bad guy" is, it's going to get serious.. 

It's called the magic of the movies.  They could turn Portman into a muscle bound freak if needed... I mean look, if they can make Brolin into purple puss, and Poe into Pokeylips, anything is possible.  Heck, you could make lady Thor tower over Hemsworth Thor and stomp him into the ground if needed.

8 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'm still trying to figure out how that mere waif of a woman will pack on enough muscle to play even a Lady Thor.

I'm a big Portaman fan. But when I heard she was playing Girl-Thor I was thinking "How is that supposed to work"? CGI would be tough because you will get that Uncanny Valley thing going on because she is human (unlike Thanos. Hulk, etc). I guess we'll see how that plays out.

If she did do enough roids to be believable she would wreck her endocrine system forever and there is a very big chance of deepened voice, facial hair and clitoral hypertrophy. Even at small doses. Hemsworth absolutely tanked his endocrine system roiding up for Thor (he was doing a LOT of them). But he probably has no other long term effects. The endocrine system can be fixed by being on testosterone replacement therapy for the rest of his life. He would have ended up on it at some point anyway. It's probably a pretty small price to pay for the money he got for that role.

Tessa Thompson doesn't look all jacked up, yet she was tossing baddies around in Ragnorok like they were nothing. True, she is an Asgardian, but that seems to be explanation enough for the sudden feats of strength. And “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor,” is all Portman would need to do the same. Sure, some muscle building is in order, with CG to perhaps conceal it until this comes about, but it's all part of the suspension of belief. With a viable in-movie reason, I'll have no problem seeing her wielding the hammer.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, CoryHolmes said:

I'm still trying to figure out how that mere waif of a woman will pack on enough muscle to play even a Lady Thor.

The same way they bulk Hemsworth. Lots of drugs.

Got almost half way through Spencer Confidential before realizing it was a Spencer For Hire reboot.

Pretty fun though, hope they make more.

42 minutes ago, Keith said:

Got almost half way through Spencer Confidential before realizing it was a Spencer For Hire reboot.

Pretty fun though, hope they make more.

Is this in the wrong thread or am I missing some kind of connection with Thor?

• sh9000 changed the title to Thor: Love and Thunder