On 11/10/2021 at 4:23 AM, Harlock Fan said:

So far I think Marvel has stuck out this year.  0 for 3.    Honestly, I don’t think anybody could articulate a good argument that the Eternals was good or even decent.   

I don't know, Shang Chi feels far better than some of the weaker older Marvel movies that didn't get as much vitriol or mixed reviews from others. It has pulled an impressive sum without a Chinese market while in a pandemic. Definitely over here, didn't get much marketing over here at all but still managed to do better than Eternals which had a bigger cast and more marketing to boot.

Marvel this year hasn't reached its peaks of Avengers leading to End Game but that's a hard act to follow. I'm a 1-1.5/3 for the year so far. Will be interested to see how their other ones that have previously done so well will do after End Game.

• 1 month later...

It's a cool idea. And has some interesting points. But overall, it was meh..

Spoiler

There's some serious plot holes, IMO. The throw away lines about how they can't interfere in humanity and couldn't possibly step in to help with Thanos ( who apparently is an Eternal?), were paper thin. And when the blip happened and half the beings in the Universe disappeared , wouldn't Arishem wonder where all his fuel for Celestials went? Wouldn't he(?) have directed his Eternals to stop Thanos?

Also Thena spent the whole time in a near nervous break down state. She was almost useless the whole movie. Meanwhile , Kingo decides to bail on everyone when he's needed the most. And Sprite is magically forgiven for her betrayal, later..? 
 I can go on..

I was more excited about the end credits scene and the appearance of the Ebony Blade..

Finally saw this on D+.....was somewhat entertaining...I can understand why they had no interest in intervening with the events of the overall MCU, thus far, as they had their own agenda and, as non-living beings, I can see how their "programming" would have has made it difficult for them to have gone against their mandate for millenia....but I guess that finally changed for them...

I watched today.  As a 8-10 episode Disney+ series it could have been really good, but as a movie it was somehow both rushed and dull.  The writers bring up some interesting philosophical questions, but they don't really take the time to explore them or how the characters' struggle with them.  They don't really develop the characters at all beyond one or two key traits (ex: Sprite struggles with being eternally a child, Kingo is a Bollywood star).  This is especially true for Kro, a character with two abilities that seemingly set him up as a major villain for the Eternals only to be quickly tossed aside in favor of the "twist" everyone will see coming.  As a result I wound up not really caring about anyone or anything happening at any point.

Finally saw it on D+, and well, I'm glad I didn't see it in theatres.  It was probably the weakest entry in the MCU, and thus far seems like it has no impact on any of the others.  The GotG movies on their own seemed to take place in their own world (which they kind of did), but this one had a freaking celestial start to birth out of the Earth followed by another showing up in orbit and the next two MCU movies  make 0 mention of that, unless I blinked and missed it.  Really, the biggest thing it seemed to do was setup Black Knight to become a regular in the rest of the MCU.

It was better than "The Inhumans," but They clearly didn't learn their lesson about tossing in a "we were here the whole time" group without giving proper weight to them. A D+ show with a different era per episode would have worked better.

Plus, how did Ego completely miss the presence or another Celestial when he was on Earth?

On 1/17/2022 at 3:59 AM, Keith said:

It was better than "The Inhumans," but They clearly didn't learn their lesson about tossing in a "we were here the whole time" group without giving proper weight to them. A D+ show with a different era per episode would have worked better.

Plus, how did Ego completely miss the presence or another Celestial when he was on Earth?

That would have worked much better, they go to sleep, wake up when the monters show, go back to sleep.

I was entertained. It was doing a marathon pace rather than a sprint, which I can appreciate. There are some holes in it, such as them not interfering. Druig already wandered off at that point, taking hundreds with him, deciding that not interfering wasn't good enough. That's a guy who could have walked up to Thanos, done the mind trick and then sent him off on his merry way. If it was something more hard-wired, as apparently it is in the comics(?) then that would have been the way to go here, perhaps using the fact that Thena was 'broken,' as a way to then break the others of their own programming.

But that wasn't too big of a deal for me. I tend to see these movies as separate entities rather than worrying about how they tie into the other movies. They are movies, made by different directors and writers and actors, so a little dissociation is to be expected. It did finally tsart picking up a little before the half way point. Liked the dynamics of the characters, the push and pull and everyone moving towards what their own desires led them to. Wasn't an HEA all around, which is a good thing.

One thing, I was thinking Kit Harrington was wasted in this movie up until the very end. Not being 'all up' on comics, I wouldn't know to recognize the character's name and realize there was more to him than just the human boyfriend. Glad of that.

I'd be interested in a sequel.

24 minutes ago, Keith said:

Nope, for that you'll want to watch "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard".

And she talks like a sailer with a trucker accent..😜

7 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Does Salma Hayek wear anything skimpy?  If so I might watch

she's not even in the whole movie..!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...