6 hours ago, 007-vf1 said:

what I love is that this tread has been up for almost 2 years and hasn't even passed a whole page of replies. Is this foreshadowing?

I think some of us are still shy after the whole "Inhumans" thing.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:54 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

Yeah... Long story short, the Eternals are essentially the Marvel franchise's version of History Channels' Ancient Aliens if they actually existed in Marvel's universe.

The Eternals are not aliens but their origin is based in part on the Chariots of the Gods (ancient astronaut concept) as stated by Jack Kirby. Other inspirations are Childhood's End and Jack Kirby's previous creations, the New Gods.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, George Yamamori said:

The Eternals are not aliens but their origin is based in part on the Chariots of the Gods (ancient astronaut concept) as stated by Jack Kirby. Other inspirations are Childhood's End and Jack Kirby's previous creations, the New Gods.

Yeah, no wonder why they call him the king.

I mean I am intrigued by his grandeur tone of his space opera, but I am skeptical of MCU Eternals due to late entry and "why they didn't come for Thanos".

2 hours ago, roboemo said:

"why they didn't come for Thanos".

In the comics, they are hardwired / programmed not to interfere unless:

a) Deviants are involved

b) Celestials are attacked by other beings

c) Their existence is threatened

The third clause is activated when Thanos directly attacked them in a recent storyline and he is handily defeated by a few Eternals. The Eternals do not have complete free will.

Edited by George Yamamori

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 1:46 AM, George Yamamori said:

In the comics, they are hardwired / programmed not to interfere unless:

a) Deviants are involved

b) Celestials are attacked by other beings

c) Their existence is threatened

The third clause is activated when Thanos directly attacked them in a recent storyline and he is handily defeated by a few Eternals. The Eternals do not have complete free will.

One or more of these is very much carried over into the movie. I never read any Eternals storylines back when I was a diehard comic book collector, but from what I gather their history is a bit muddled to say the least and that their comics backstory was recently retconned to make said history a little more accessible.

Spoiler

The Good: Acting, emotional stakes, special effects, gorgeous scenery. Some (not all) of the characters aren't cookie-cutter and are fairly complex, or aren't black and white GOOD or EVIL. 

The central argument of one's purpose and true faith in what one's mission is - a soldier following orders for a "greater" good and willingness to do terrible things, even to those they love as brothers and sisters (or more), in order to achieve "the" mission. 

Themes around choice vs. predetermined purpose. Godlike powers and how and when to use them.

The Bad: The movie is predictable 30-40 minutes in, and the story is a bit of a mess, although it's coherent enough, but didn't feel polished.

The first credit scene was way too goofy considering the overall tone of the movie. The 1st post credit scene felt more like Thor: Ragnarok or a GoTG movie making it feel out of place, the final credit scene's tone was a little too light-hearted as well but at least it was more in-line with the humor from the movie.

The Silly: The power of LOVE (Sersi's love of humanity, Ikaris's love of Sersi) saves the day, plus an awful lot of forgiveness considering the actions of one ore more of the characters.

IMO this wasn't the worst of the MCU, but I can see why the ratings are what they are. I went to a noon showing and the theatre was pretty full, but I'm really curious to see what the week 2 box office numbers look like and if there's significant drop-off.

I really wanted to enjoy Eternals more than I did, and I loved some of the tonal changes over typical Marvel movies. The heavier subject matter about the nature of humanity and character development were a very interesting change of pace (even the more predictable aspects), the messiness of the story though...

Of the current Phase, Shang-Chi is far and away the best, Shang-Chi>Eternals>Black Widow

-b.

13 hours ago, Harlock Fan said:

That is damning praise.  I know you didn’t mean it but dang.  Ouch

Definitely didn't mean it that way, I thought Shang-Chi was outstanding and I though Black Widow was terrible. Eternals was just different...I like that it felt more mature thematically , the story was just, messy. For my .02 it fits squarely in between the other two movies on a scale of "good" to "bad".

Can't quiet put my finger on how to articulate all of my thoughts specific to Eternals. 

-b.

47 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Definitely didn't mean it that way, I thought Shang-Chi was outstanding and I though Black Widow was terrible. Eternals was just different...I like that it felt more mature thematically , the story was just, messy. For my .02 it fits squarely in between the other two movies on a scale of "good" to "bad".

Can't quiet put my finger on how to articulate all of my thoughts specific to Eternals. 

-b.

So far I think Marvel has stuck out this year.  0 for 3.    Honestly, I don’t think anybody could articulate a good argument that the Eternals was good or even decent.   

1 hour ago, Harlock Fan said:

So far I think Marvel has stuck out this year.  0 for 3.    Honestly, I don’t think anybody could articulate a good argument that the Eternals was good or even decent.   

Agree to disagree 🙂

-b.

13 hours ago, crackpot said:

Turd covered in gold is still turd. 

I guess some people are just diehard fans that they'll consume whatever is served to them. 

Or, people just like what they like. 

While my impression of Eternals is mixed, I don't begrudge anyone who feels strongly in one way or the other. 

-b.