Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Can't be, Lady M's supposedly been researching the potential of songs since the First Space War... Mylene was born in 2031.

"Lady M" is like the Dread Pirate Roberts.   Mylene is just the latest, and the initial is a coincidence.  (or maybe it's a requirement)    Hmmn.  Minmei, Myung, Mylene...

14 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

"Lady M" is like the Dread Pirate Roberts.   Mylene is just the latest, and the initial is a coincidence.  (or maybe it's a requirement)    Hmmn.  Minmei, Myung, Mylene...

The way she's addressed in the TV series, Lady M's presented as if she were a single person rather than an inherited title or alias.  (Which makes it weirder still that the Ragna branch of Xaos don't seem to know who she is when everyone else seems to... even the Windermereans in Passionate Walkure.)

I can't quite see Mylene putting her music career aside to focus on playing politics with the New UN Forces either... 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:36 AM, no3Ljm said:

Agreed to everyone. I’m pretty sure the next movie is just focus on the girl group coz that one sells more in Japan nowadays. And Walküre is an extension of Kawamori’s directed and created series AKB0048.

Anyways, i just want to say that. :rolleyes:

AKB0048, however, seems to pride itself on fun unrealistic antics, starting with literally jumping onto a moving plane from a bicycle. It was outdone by Zombieland Saga but that took a few years. I don't think there's much of that with Walkure :)

Also I just realized that the title "Ultimate Live" might mean we are going to see a generations movie after all. If so... please. Please let Mari Iijima outright write the new Minmay song (realistically there can probably be just one new Minmay song, what with the time all the others need). There is simply nobody who would understand older!Minmay as a musician any better, except perhaps major music dignitaries like Yoko Kanno and Yuki Kajiura, who are unlikely to be involved. It would also book-end the story; the very first Minmay song we get to hear (SDFM ep4) is written by Mari Iiijima and this would be the last one.

The performer writing major stuff for Macross is not unprecedented (Yoshiki Fukuyama).

Edited by Saruta

9 minutes ago, Saruta said:

AKB0048, however, seems to pride itself on fun unrealistic antics, starting with literally jumping onto a moving plane from a bicycle. It was outdone by Zombieland Saga but that took a few years. I don't think there's much of that with Walkure :)

Only because jumping out of a moving plane into a warzone full of rampaging insane giant aliens is a completely ordinary day for Walkure.

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Only because jumping out of a moving plane into a warzone full of rampaging insane giant aliens is a completely ordinary day for Walkure.

You got me :) Well Walkure, unlike Nagisa in AKB0048, do have personal gear for that (apparently involving anti-gravity, which is definitely a thing in the Macross world since SDFM), but what with the *actual raging battle*, it's still broadly in the same box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I reckon at least a 50% chance this will die a quiet death, just like the TV series we were supposed to get.

And if it does get made then only a 20% chance it will  have enough decent mecha action to satisfy mecha action fans.

I've kinda lost all hope and faith in Kawamori and Big West.

11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Any chance we will get some kind of teaser image(s) by December..?

No clue... it's supposed to be coming out next year sometime, so I'd assume we'll start seeing news about it as the year draws to a close.  Macross seems to really like dropping trailers and teasers around the year-end holidays, so maybe we'll get something then.

8 hours ago, Graham said:

I reckon at least a 50% chance this will die a quiet death, just like the TV series we were supposed to get.

Nah.  Big West made a mint on Walkure when they first debuted and everything I've heard suggests they're still making quite the profit from performances, media sales, and various otaku waifu BS.  They're not going to turn down a chance to keep Walkure in the limelight as long as possible by voluntarily abandoning another two hour long commercial for their CDs thinly disguised as a movie.

And if it does get made then only a 20% chance it will  have enough decent mecha action to satisfy mecha action fans.

20% feels exceedingly generous.

Even Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure's additional and original battle scenes were pretty tame stuff and generally failed to satisfy, with the only new mechanical design being that truly hideous spare parts kludge Armored Pack for the VF-31.  

My guess would be that there will be the bare minimum of mecha action, just enough to justify putting the Macross title on the movie, and that otherwise the film will focus on the painfully underdeveloped Walkure characters.  If they're adding a new one, I doubt they'll improve characterization much either since an entirely new member will have to be introduced.

I've kinda lost all hope and faith in Kawamori and Big West.

I often suspect Kawamori is over-credited and over-blamed for things in Macross.

Like when Macross Delta came out and people on these very forums were tearing into him for the writing... which he had no hand in.  He's a supervisor, sometimes a director, and he does mechanical designs.  I doubt he's micromanaging every aspect of development and production.  What's more, I doubt we'd want him to.  We've seen what happens when you let famously auteur creators like Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas slip the leash, and the results are seldom pretty.  Star Trek: the Next Generation season one and the Star Wars prequel trilogy, anyone?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Right. So now we have a confirmation that the movie is coming out in 2020. We also get teased a new Valk and the possibility of a sixth member for Walkure. Will the fan favorite theory of Mirage joining the girls onstage become a reality. We're going to have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, twich said:

Cross between a v-9 ghost and a YF-27-5? Read the article, still working on the design, though has worked out new transformation sequence with LEGO!?!

He does the Lego thing with all of them early on. You can find lots of pictures of him with VF in Lego form. The man is truly an engineer lol. 

I get a lot of VF-14 vibes actually. Also hard to tell if it is manned, but it probably is. Interested to see more. 

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm always in for new VF designs.

If it's unmanned, it'll be interesting to see if he does anything weird with the battroid/gerwalk forms, like not having a head for instance.

The last unmanned VF we got didn't have a Battroid mode at all... 

Since we were promised a different antagonist for this new movie, my thoughts went from the strong VF-14 resemblance to the Elgersoln Gustav that Fasces was using as their answer to the VF-171 c.2058 in Macross the Ride.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The last unmanned VF we got didn't have a Battroid mode at all... 

Since we were promised a different antagonist for this new movie, my thoughts went from the strong VF-14 resemblance to the Elgersoln Gustav that Fasces was using as their answer to the VF-171 c.2058 in Macross the Ride.

What was the last transforming unmanned fighter? I'm only familiar with the movies/OVAs/TV shows.

Wasn’t it the variable glaug? Also the unmanned vF-11 that the ghost blew up in plus.

looks very interesting, can’t wait to see the final product. If it does have 4 engines and is an SV Works creation.....imagine a variable fighter with 8,000kN of thrust and power generation to offer before fast packs are even considered! Powerful indeed, which begs that Kaos will have to field an upgraded/remodeled VF-31! More mecha action!

twich

8 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

What was the last transforming unmanned fighter? I'm only familiar with the movies/OVAs/TV shows.

7 hours ago, twich said:

Wasn’t it the variable glaug?

The Neo Glaug, which first appeared in the Sony PlayStation game Macross Plus Game Edition (2000).

It was an unmanned two-mode (Fighter and GERWALK) variable fighter that was developed from the manned Variable Glaug as a competitor to the AIF-X-9 Ghost, incorporating the same Sharon Apple-derived AI technology.  In Macross Plus Game Edition, the Neo Glaug intercepts Isamu while he's en route to Macross City and is defeated by him. 

The design the Neo Glaug is developed from in-universe, the Variable Glaug, appeared a year later in the 2001 Sega Dreamcast game Macross M3 as the signature mecha of Dancing Skulls ace Moaramia Jifon Jenius... being a Zentradi-developed 3rd Generation-equivalent variable fighter created by anti-government forces using a stolen VF-4 Lightning III and Zentradi overtechnology.  The design later fell into New UN Government hands and a miclone-compatible version was produced. 

A manned version of the Neo Glaug, dubbed the Neo Glaug bis, appears in Macross the Ride as an Advanced Variable Fighter (4th Generation VF) equivalent produced by the New Nile Arsenal and General Galaxy and operated by the anti-government group Fasces, who are leftovers of the Latence faction from Macross VF-X2.

7 hours ago, twich said:

Also the unmanned vF-11 that the ghost blew up in plus.

Those aren't really unmanned fighters, per se... they're remotely operated target drones.  

Much like the real world militaries, the New UN Forces sometimes dispose of older model fighters that've been retired by converting them into remotely operated drones so pilots operating newer aircraft can train with live weapons against moving targets.  (Those were, AFAIK, VF-11A units that had not been updated to the VF-11B standard when production began in earnest.)

(Various books, including Master File volumes, have indicated that this was a fate met by many older model VFs and redundant variants that weren't sold off to civilians.  The VF-1Ls apparently all met their end as remotely operated QVF-1 target aircraft for live weapons training.)

7 hours ago, twich said:

looks very interesting, can’t wait to see the final product. If it does have 4 engines and is an SV Works creation.....imagine a variable fighter with 8,000kN of thrust and power generation to offer before fast packs are even considered! Powerful indeed, which begs that Kaos will have to field an upgraded/remodeled VF-31! More mecha action!

It looks like it only has the two engines, but having extra engines comes with a significant increase in weight that degrades the improvement in performance from all that thrust.  The VF-27's four engines make it quite a bit heavier than the typical VF of its generation, so a twin-engine VF with more power behind the individual engines like the Sv-262 Draken III can achieve very similar performance because it's also significantly lighter.  The VF-27 and YF-29 appear to have had four engines not necessarily because they needed the massive thrust they provided, but because they needed the energy output of four thermonuclear reactors to power all their odds and ends.  (The twin-engine YF-27-5 needed to carry an additional generator on one of its wings to power its beam gunpod.)

Since Delta Flight's VF-31 Custom Siegfrieds are already well above production spec, my guess would be that this new foe will not be significantly more advanced or powerful than Windermere IV's Aerial Knights.

I can see influences from a lot of places (Guld Works-style engine outlets, for instance), but the shape of the wings and canards actually look very 31A-esque to me, particularly the trailing edges and wing tips. Maybe a Guld Works VF-32 in the same vein as the 25/27 relationship?

Edited by WaferMouse

Looking at it more this is a fairly refined VF-14 style.  It has the arrow-head look, but much more integrated (i.e. not terrible looking) like from the finalized game version.  The engines on the wings even have the little pointed “toe” look at the front you see from the original VF-14 design.  It has the swept over rear stabilizers you see on the 14/17/171.  The nose is definitely still 262-style.  And what an interesting bulging spin the length of the craft.  It feels a bit drone-like.  I’d love to get a view of the undercarriage.

I shall be very interested to get more of information.

• azrael changed the title to Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022
  • azrael pinned this topic
  • azrael unpinned this topic