Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm not sure I would characterize not having an armored canopy cover as an obsolete design choice...

The armored canopy cover is useful in very specific scenarios, but comes with its own drawbacks like a dependence on external camera systems that can be interfered with via ECM or disrupted by damage and adding additional complications to the ejector seat mechanism.

It's rather telling that it's only used on two models of Valkyrie to date - the General Galaxy's VF-27 Lucifer and Sv-262 Draken III - both of which are designed almost exclusively to fight at point-blank ranges.

Yea, as complicated system like that, it would be like unecessary choice. Lets think about a scenario when the armor plate is damage and those cameras are all gone, we would have to eject that armor plate, and eject that armor plate would has to have more complicated ejection system and must resyncronize HUD to pilot . . .. VERY COMPLICATED 😕 

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Who could forget the only good moment of the series involving Messer?  The moment he stopped being a stain on the series and started being a stain on the upholstery.

Now Seto, please be kind to the unfortunate Mr. Messer. After all, his very name indicated what he would end up doing to his poor VF's cockpit...

Messer and Keith up in the sky,

Taking turns on which one would die;

First comes missiles

Then comes melee,

Then the loser gets wiped up with a squeegee.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 8/8/2021 at 4:28 AM, pengbuzz said:

Now Seto, please be kind to the unfortunate Mr. Messer. After all, his very name indicated what he would end up doing to his poor VF's cockpit...

He's not unfortunate, he earned that laser beam to the face by being a cretin.

I mean, he starts off as that one incredibly abrasive and toxic coworker who thinks he's better than everyone else.  Yeah, he's the ace... but he's the ace of a low-rent, bush league PMC that's based so far out in the space boonies that you can't go much farther without leaving the galaxy altogether.  If that were all, he's just be unpleasant... but he's also super creepy.  He's basically Kaname's stalker.  Her performance touched his heart, so instead of joining the fan club or maybe buying some Walkure merch he... followed her to another planet, and applied to the company she works for in order to be close to her always, then follows her everywhere at work.  That's not romantic, that is 3/4 of the way to being an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

I really hope they just leave any mention of him out of this next movie.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I mean, he starts off as that one incredibly abrasive and toxic coworker who thinks he's better than everyone else.  Yeah, he's the ace... but he's the ace of a low-rent, bush league PMC that's based so far out in the space boonies that you can't go much farther without leaving the galaxy altogether.  If that were all, he's just be unpleasant... but he's also super creepy.  He's basically Kaname's stalker.  Her performance touched his heart, so instead of joining the fan club or maybe buying some Walkure merch he... followed her to another planet, and applied to the company she works for in order to be close to her always, then follows her everywhere at work.  That's not romantic, that is 3/4 of the way to being an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

Well, "unfortunate" was meant as sarcasm; after all, the real unfortunate ones are those who were exposed to him...

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

After reading this I can't help myself hearing this...  'Than Than'.

;)

On 8/8/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gendo Koun said:

(...) . . .. VERY COMPLICATED 😕 

Let's also keep in mind that it is a chunk of armour with significant weight.  Maybe it's something that just can't be tacked on to Valkyries that have been designed around a transparent canopy because it throws off their weight balance.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Well, who was the most likable character (not feature) in Delta? My guess is everyone liked one of the Walkure girls , though they were the biggest complaint (magical girls) , outside of Japan. 

Freyja kinda ran away with that one, IMO.

She's a very similar character to Macross Frontier's Ranka Lee, but Freyja is a more upbeat character who shows initiative in chasing her dream to be an idol where Ranka was indecisive and very passive unless she had Alto, Michael, or Grace twisting her arm.  Her inexperience and enthusiasm made her a lot more likeable right off the bat, especially as it allowed her to make mistakes in ways that were comedic but also furthered her story and character development.  Ranka was kind of Frontier's chew toy and got a lot of her development from being in depressive episodes until someone else came along to kick in the arse and make her do something.

On every level Freyja's just... better Ranka, and almost instantly likeable for it.

(Of course, the tradeoff was that Macross Delta had Great Value brand Sheryl Nome in the form of Mikumo "My main character trait is that I have no character traits" Guynemer.)

40 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Let's also keep in mind that it is a chunk of armour with significant weight.  Maybe it's something that just can't be tacked on to Valkyries that have been designed around a transparent canopy because it throws off their weight balance.

It's energy conversion armor, right?  That's also an additional power draw, and possibly requires additional electromagnetic shielding for the cockpit.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Freyja kinda ran away with that one, IMO.

She's a very similar character to Macross Frontier's Ranka Lee, but Freyja is a more upbeat character who shows initiative in chasing her dream to be an idol where Ranka was indecisive and very passive unless she had Alto, Michael, or Grace twisting her arm.  Her inexperience and enthusiasm made her a lot more likeable right off the bat, especially as it allowed her to make mistakes in ways that were comedic but also furthered her story and character development.  Ranka was kind of Frontier's chew toy and got a lot of her development from being in depressive episodes until someone else came along to kick in the arse and make her do something.

On every level Freyja's just... better Ranka, and almost instantly likeable for it.

(Of course, the tradeoff was that Macross Delta had Great Value brand Sheryl Nome in the form of Mikumo "My main character trait is that I have no character traits" Guynemer.)

It's energy conversion armor, right?  That's also an additional power draw, and possibly requires additional electromagnetic shielding for the cockpit.

"Discount Spock", "Great Value Brand Sheryl Nome"... seems a lot of the sci-fi/anime shows have taken to shopping generic, eh?

On 8/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, pengbuzz said:

Messer and Keith up in the sky,

Taking turns on which one would die;

First comes missiles

Then comes melee,

Then the loser gets wiped up with a squeegee.

is there a macross poety thread?😁

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

"Discount Spock", "Great Value Brand Sheryl Nome"... seems a lot of the sci-fi/anime shows have taken to shopping generic, eh?

Oh boy, wait 'til you hear about Gundam... :rofl:

Get your masked space nazi ace pilots with sister complexes in red uniforms in the money saving twelve pack!

On 8/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

He's basically Kaname's stalker.  Her performance touched his heart, so instead of joining the fan club or maybe buying some Walkure merch he... followed her to another planet, and applied to the company she works for in order to be close to her always, then follows her everywhere at work.  That's not romantic, that is 3/4 of the way to being an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

That would almost be worth doing up a parody...

A pair of detectives from NUNS' SVU arrives to investigate complaints filed against Messer by various individuals in Delta Flight, and ends up interviewing Hayate, Mirage and the rest of the team, along with Walkure. The episode ends with Messer deliberately taking that shot to the dome to evade arrest and conviction.

Complete with this sound:

Edited by pengbuzz

Just now, pengbuzz said:

That would almost be worth doing up a parody...

A pair of detectives from NUNS' SVU arrives to investigate complaints filed against Messer by various individuals in Delta Flight, and ends up interviewing Hayate, Mirage and the rest of the team, along with Walkure. The episode ends with Messer deliberately taking that shot to the dome to evade arrest and conviction.

Admittedly, I'm up for almost anything that takes the piss out of Messer... though I don't think any of it could be quite as well done as the Macross Delta shorts where Messer is a pizza delivery boy.

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Admittedly, I'm up for almost anything that takes the piss out of Messer... though I don't think any of it could be quite as well done as the Macross Delta shorts where Messer is a pizza delivery boy.

Bakes the pizza with his own rage, eh?

"In the New UN Spacy justice system, moron- based offenses are considered especially heinous. In the Brísingr Globular Cluster the dedicated detectives who investigate these idiotic felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. Theses are there stories."

Edited by pengbuzz

On 8/11/2021 at 6:34 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh boy, wait 'til you hear about Gundam... :rofl:

Get your masked space nazi ace pilots with sister complexes in red uniforms in the money saving twelve pack!

I'd take the Red Comet over Messer.

2 hours ago, NightmarePlus said:

Now i wonder how a detective/cop story in a Macross setting would be like

That could be good !

On 8/12/2021 at 7:37 AM, NightmarePlus said:

Now i wonder how a detective/cop story in a Macross setting would be like

Honestly?  I'd just watch Cowboy Bebop.  Tech level seems pretty similar, just with more pure space vessels and less mecha.  Probably closer to the tech level in M+/M7 than Delta though.

17 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

So I've been ignoring this for a while, but now that I check on it again, the movie still has no concrete release date? Only the nebulous "Autumn"?

There is at least a promotional screening mentioned in November:

https://macross.jp/news/?id=1489

7 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

So definitely 2022 at the earliest for a home media release for us filthy gaijins. Ah well

That was kind of inevitable the minute they announced it was getting an Autumn release.

Here's to hoping there's no more pandemic-induced disruptions to the release schedule.

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

So definitely 2022 at the earliest for a home media release for us filthy gaijins. Ah well

Or they are going to go with the new trend with anime and Stream on a site somewhere.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Here's to hoping there's no more pandemic-induced disruptions to the release schedule.

Don't Jinx it Seto!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how to add spoiler tags, but there's a new 30 second teaser and boy howdy is it a good one. 

Spoiler

Blue 29 has Xaos tags, a logo with a Red Wing and a Blue wing... and a pilot who looks like a certain Jenius? Maybe? 

Also the 'Siren' fighter has a more X-Wing style design than expected. 2 top Engines rising about the wing engines. 

Edited by Scream Man

Okay. Do not know why to go for spoilers with only a teaser but still shall follow behind the earlier poster.

Spoiler

HOLY FREAKING COW! I nearly choked on my breakfast bagel when I saw that bit of the teaser! Are we really get a good-looking in his seventies Max Jenius piloting what looks to be a VF-30?!?! Holy freaking cow! Now I am even more super-hyped for this movie! Freaking Nice. Also earlier in the teaser when Walkure starts their performance then suddenly new girls are shown and I was like wait they are getting competition. Huh. Anyways a great teaser! Cannot wait for this movie to drop!

I'm actually kind of disappointed by this.

Spoiler

So... Delta's writers can't be arsed to actually take the time to develop these characters beyond "shallow stock character" territory, so we're going to have a cameo so it can lean on a character who's already fully developed?

image.png.1c781cabb69a2cc605253ced68c8fb1b.png

The blue YF-29's pilot looks like an elderly Maximilian Jenius.  It's got Xaos markings, and this particular piece of art that shows a double-M insignia with one red wing and one blue wing.  I'm kind of annoyed that the writers can't seem to think of any way to get old characters involved beyond "well they randomly joined this bass-ackwards PMC that is up to its eyebrows in dodgy sh*t".

Interestingly, these colors are reversed from the Jenius Air logo we saw in Macross Delta's TV series:

Gwyn Campbell ペングウィン on Twitter: "The good 'ol VF-9 Cutlass, last seen in Macross  Delta :-) #macross #valkyries… "

Other than that, this new teaser doesn't really have anything to write home about.  We got another too-quick-to-be-useful action shot of the new enemy fighter, some shots of the new VF-31AX Kairos Plus in the same hideous Armored Pack from the last movie, and some shots of characters who can best be summed up "Walkure, but from Hot Topic"... which is kinda sad, since most of the Delta characters are already store brand versions of the Frontier cast.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Scream Man said:

Also the 'Siren' fighter has a more X-Wing style design than expected. 2 top Engines rising about the wing engines.

I've suspected for a little while that these little sub-wings under the main wings where how the extra engines we see in Battroid mode are attached, with the engines located under the fuselage in fighter mode.

Screenshot_20210918_091908.png.d7d1c6f0ddf38026f54ebec3424872e8.png

That jives now with what we see in the new trailer. The main wings seem to split the chord line roughly in half, with the rear half presumably being the Battroid thighs and the front half having the sub-wings attached at the outer edge so they can fold out. Also means the missiles we see on the sub-wings would end up on the bottom when folded in, which makes sense. Screenshot_20210918_092040.png.9cc135f5362507fa2ebfeeb61500cf64.png

Not sure what to make of the turret yet.

We also see a little more of the FAST packs. Two on each of the main engines and one more on each sub engine. They have their own engines and some sort of guns on them. This is complete speculation, but I'm wondering if we'll see them able to separate and act as funnels.

EDIT: Trailer link:

Edited by snakerbot
Adding trailer link.

You such a Kill joy Saito. I love to see how Max being doing nowadays in Delta era and I love to see his interaction with his Granddaughter Mirage which give more development to Delta squadron especially Mirage. Also love t see Max curb stomp entire Delta squadron during training. It seems 2nd trailer delta squadron training with Max.

Max seems slightly aged. I guess being Genius able to slow his aging.

242411913_4389767891106552_7462078908870

Edited by charles88