Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022

Marzan

Interesting. Indeed..“Entirely new” film..

Now we get to speculate until “20XX” ,( or 2020, maybe) about the “new threat” facing Walkure. Maybe the new threat is having a sixth member and losing their edge.  Is this going to be “the continuing adventures of Walkure..” ? We’ve been hearing about another upcoming Walkure movie and it’s finally cemented. Nevertheless I’m a little disappointed (but not surprised) SK wasn’t able to tell an all new story . But the Walkure idol machine must roll on..

maybe it will be “mortal engines style “ and Walkure will go around gobbling other idol bands up..

Edited by Bolt

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

Mirage is the new Walküre?

Hide contents

Or Lady M :unsure:

Maybe it could also be the blond girl that was briefly introduced in the first film? In any case, it could become the main focus of the film and the big selling point.

I'm trying to use my positive glasses for this upcoming film (it's hard!). One thing this film could have a big advantage with, is that the Knights will presumably no longer be the main antagonist. Their paper thin characterizations were not helped by their total lack of "fear" factor as an enemy. If you're not gonna flesh out the antagonist, at least make them dread provoking (think the Vajra, Zentradi and the Prodevlin early on in their respective series. Heck even Ivanov was a scary mofo in Zero).

Maybe Kawamori will finally make NUNS the unequivocal villain?

7 hours ago, Marzan said:

Does a sigh of exasperated frustration count as a thought?

Macross Delta had a painfully threadbare plot that all too often felt less like a story than a series of badly contrived excuses for Walkure to perform.  The story felt weirdly segregated, as if the story about the idol group Walkure and the story about the Brisingr Alliance's war with the Kingdom of the Wind were being developed by different teams who weren't allowed to speak to each other.  Until the last three episodes or so, there wasn't really any feeling that Walkure were actually doing anything to advance the plot... they were just bystanders.  Being compressed into a two hour movie did that threadbare plot a few favors, but it was still so scattered that at times it felt more like a collection of quasi-related vignettes than a coherent narrative.  It changed gears with the kind of audible clunk that would send most folks scurrying to the mechanic.

Now we've got an announcement for Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!!.  A title like that makes me think we're headed into another excuse plot to justify a two hour long animated "live" concert by Walkure.  Macross Delta's TV series and first movie already had a threat that was essentially a potential galaxy-wise mass extinction event among sentient life forms.  It's not exactly easy to do sequel escalation when you started with a threat that could wipe out most sentient life.

I'm sick to death of this PMC hero kick that fiction's been on for a while now, so I'm still kind of hoping that the plot will be Xaos going on the run as the New UN Government comes after them and Lady M on charges of corruption, bribery, illegal cloning, harboring terrorists, and so on.  I doubt we'd actually get that kind of Reality Ensues plot, so I'm expecting we get something else tying into the ancient Protoculture like some nutter digging up another Birdhuman or Fold Evil.  Either that or maybe the Delta Wave System's activation did some unpleasant things to Windermereans by forcibly activating their runes and now Walkure's off to Windermere IV to prevent the extinction of the Windermereans with a massive live at Darwent Castle to de-age them with fold songs.  (I kinda suspect that last one is actually it.)

2 hours ago, Marzan said:

Maybe Kawamori will finally make NUNS the unequivocal villain?

He's already done that one... it was called Macross VF-X2.

Learning that the (New) UN Forces were the real baddies in the story was what separated the game's two endings.  In the Bad Ending, the VF-X Ravens don't learn about Latence and dutifully carry out their orders to destroy the anti-government groups Black Rainbow and Vindirance.  In the Good Ending, the VF-X Ravens learn that they've been manipulated by a fascist Earth supremacist faction in the New UN Government and New UN Forces called Latence that's been using the VF-X special forces to suppress armed opposition to its plan to give Earth absolute governmental authority over the emigrant planets and increase the military's already-considerable authority in the name of presenting a unified front against any internal and external threats.  The Ravens side with Vindirance, the "anti-government" group that supports democracy and more autonomy for emigrant planets, and Latence's coup attempt is foiled by the destruction of Battle-13 in Earth orbit.  Later stories call this conflict between pro-Earth and pro-autonomy forces the Second Unification War.

(As is typical of Macross, the bad guys are largely presented more as well-meaning but misguided rather than actually evil.  Except Manfred Brando, who's just an amoral arse.)

They crop up in a few other stories like Macross the Ride and the Macross Delta novelization.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm sick to death of this PMC hero kick that fiction's been on for a while now, so I'm still kind of hoping that the plot will be Xaos going on the run as the New UN Government comes after them and Lady M on charges of corruption, bribery, illegal cloning, harboring terrorists, and so on. 

I hope so too. I mean, I'm sure it won't, but I hope.

A mercenary corp actually makes sense for anime, though. It makes it much easier to explain why your heroes aren't adhering to a proper military dress code and seem awfully young to be enlisting in the army spacy.

1 minute ago, JB0 said:

A mercenary corp actually makes sense for anime, though. It makes it much easier to explain why your heroes aren't adhering to a proper military dress code and seem awfully young to be enlisting in the army spacy.

There's the dress code thing, yeah... but fictional militaries are famously loose on that sort of thing anyway.  The writers cheated a little on the age thing by setting the age of majority under the New UN Gov't at 17, so almost every Macross character who joined the military was an adult when they did.

The PMC thing is just a thing lazy writers do to justify the main characters doing everything.  It's novel once, but then it just gets dumb.  Like in Frontier it was justified by SMS's parent company being a megacorp so flush with cash that it paid for the fleet the show is set in and has tons of pull with the government.  In Delta, they dont have that... they're supposed to be the heroes but for pretty much the entire series they suck at their jobs.  We're supposed to root for Xaos over the NUNS because the NUNS is "The Man", but it gets a little silly when Xaos is doing stuff like slowing down a NUNS-led evacuation and almost getting Chuck's own family killed in the process.

It's damn near impossible to take Walkure seriously as "heroes" for the same reason.  They spent 24 episodes f*cking up at every turn, getting captured repeatedly, with every move they make playing into Windermere's hands, and generally failing at the one job they actually have... and the threat they save the galaxy from at the very end would literally not have been possible if not for their intervention.  Mikumo was created for Walkure.  Walkure's dicking around with the ruins tuned them to make them more suitable for Roid's purpose.  Walkure kept going undercover behind enemy lines and got Mikumo captured.  Walkure's leader supported a plan by Lady M to delay evacuation of the blast zone of a thermonuclear demolition charge.  Walkure's refusal to work with the NUNS led to the entire Brisingr cluster being occupied by a hostile power using mind control.  Literally the only useful thing they achieve in the series prior to the finale is discovering that Windermere was using a combination of apples and bottled water as a vector to increase susceptibility to Var syndrome.

When "f*ck the police" almost leads to the extinction of sentient life in the galaxy, is defying authority for the sake of it really still "heroic"?

I am excited for new potential Valkyrie action. We had the introduction of “slipheed” armor for the vf-31, I wonder if we will get one or more new designs.....there has to be toy sale tie ins.

i have my fingers crossed for new designs, and have hopeful waiting for everything else

twich

I feel like with Arcadia playing a very limited role, Bandai can't keep up with the existing Macross licenses. I kind of hope that the new movie doesn't introduce much so they can keep slogging through everything else. Maybe they can make the Draken the hero mecha and give us a renewal version of that toy.

13 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Or heck, just give us more VF-31A's.  Any scheme, with or without FAST packs.  Just more 31A's!

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a VF-31A Arad Molders type from the flashback episode... easiest variant ever, just one tampo printed section is different.

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Does a sigh of exasperated frustration count as a thought?

:lol:, I think that was the first reaction of most of us when we read that movie name....

On 6/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, David Hingtgen said:

Hoping VF-22 shows up in Delta again, maybe a DX -21/22....   

Or heck, just give us more VF-31A's.  Any scheme, with or without FAST packs.  Just more 31A's!

Was watching jenius's ole video on the yf-25 prophecy and perhaps we will get something similar in form for the 31A.
With a different head sculpt and scheme.

Edited by seti88

On 6/3/2019 at 2:14 PM, Marzan said:

:lol:, I think that was the first reaction of most of us when we read that movie name....

Well, with a title like Absolute Live!!!!!! creating snarky titles for reviews is on Easy Mode... (especially since almost anything sounds like an insult if you stick the word "absolute" in front of it and say it with contempt).

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

Was watching jenius's ole video on the yf-25 prophecy and perhaps we will get something similar in form for the 31A.
With a different head sculpt and scheme.

Depending on which source you want to trust, we've technically already seen the prototype version... either as the YF-30 Chronos from Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy, or the unit Arad was flying in the flashback episode.  (If they wanna give us a renewal YF-30, I'll pronounce it a wonderfully fine idea... and another VF-31A wouldn't be unwelcome either.)

1 minute ago, Bolt said:

It’s time for the VF-24 to make an appearance..

Seems unlikely, Earth is about as far from the Brisingr cluster as you can get.

• 1 month later...

With everyone wanting more Valks, I'll be the odd one out as I want proper characterizations and character development for four Walkure members (sans Freyja who already got hers in the series, it being probably the only decent writing work there). 

Darnit. A passionate and beautiful woman who is actually three years old and a clone, but at the beginning does not seem to remember here recent past at all - but seems to be trained in martial arts apart from singing. Not the most original character out there but definitely a worthy one. I want to know more of her story, of her training, of her eventual realization of what she is. (In the movie version, seems like the realization happened already in Windermere custody and helped "break" her into their aims for a time, as opposed to "klaatu barada nikto" doing all the work?? Makes sense, and might be a callback to Ranka).

I think everyone that watched Delta wants proper character AND story development. Your not the odd man out. And you know there will be some variations on existing or , perhaps , even knew Valk designs. Gotta keep the toys pumping Out..

Although , it’s fair to say, Walkure is carrying Delta..

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I think everyone that watched Delta wants proper character AND story development. Your not the odd man out.

Oh, we want it... we just know not to expect it because Macross Delta isn't about things like properly developed characters or well-choreographed mecha action sequences.  It's about selling Walkure albums and concert tickets first and nothing second.

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

And you know there will be some variations on existing or , perhaps , even knew Valk designs. Gotta keep the toys pumping Out..

Not sure they even need to bother, they've still got stuff from the TV series and the last movie left undone.  They only JUST put out a Chuck Mustang DX, and they still haven't released the VF-31 Armored Pack, Bogue's Sv-262Ba, Roid's Sv-262Hs, and Mirage's Sv-262Ba.

I too would really like a PS4 Macross game, also make it a complete game! Not like Macross Delta Scramble where you have to download half the game and it is available only to Japanese PSN accounts.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am all about the DX toys from the series/movies, but would like to see new designs and make them a little more available for the masses so that people like me don't have to look for a $200 increase in price plus shipping to be able to get a VF-31 toy that isn't the VF-31F Movie edition!

Twich

On 7/30/2019 at 4:46 AM, Bolt said:

I think everyone that watched Delta wants proper character AND story development. Your not the odd man out. And you know there will be some variations on existing or , perhaps , even knew Valk designs. Gotta keep the toys pumping Out..

Although , it’s fair to say, Walkure is carrying Delta..

I must admit I've lost faith in any further Macross shows being any good storywise.

It's a Satelight thing. When was the last time Satelight made a show that had an interesting story with engaging characters? Visuals, yes, they do well, and some of their art, design and animation is top of the line. But storytelling?  They keep on pumping one forgettable show after another (Nobunaga the Fool, M3, Pandora, World End, Ragnastrike Angels etc etc). Yes, they made Log Horizon but that was an adaptation of a series of decent novels, so Satelight had a decent story and characters to adapt in the first place. I don't think they've done anything original work since Macross Frontier that I thoroughly enjoyed

Like many artists, Kawamori peaked as a creator in his 20's and 30's (DYRL, Plus, Escaflowne, Arjuna etc). Still a top notch mechanical designer (and I still think he's really good at creating and designing worlds).

Agreed to everyone. I’m pretty sure the next movie is just focus on the girl group coz that one sells more in Japan nowadays. And Walküre is an extension of Kawamori’s directed and created series AKB0048.

Anyways, i just want to say that. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is it just me, or has there been a distinct shortage/absence of news about this film since it was announced?

Given that it’s barely been two months since the last update and the fact that Kawamori also announced he was working on 5 other projects at the same time while coming off the 6 months of prep time that had to be crammed in for Kawamori Expo?

It’s probably just you. 

As Delta Flight was assigned to Walkure tactical sound unit previously. Perhaps we will see some “upgraded “ Siegfried’s. Now,  it’s highly possible Delta Flight has rotated new pilots or been entirely reassigned , wherein Walkure could have an entirely new unit assigned as protection. 

And , since Walkure’s primary focus was dealing with the VAR syndrome, what use will they be now? Will our star singer clone be activating protoculture or protodevlin ?

23 minutes ago, Tochiro said:

Given that it’s barely been two months since the last update and the fact that Kawamori also announced he was working on 5 other projects at the same time while coming off the 6 months of prep time that had to be crammed in for Kawamori Expo?

It’s probably just you. 

Fair enough.  

I was just struck by this weird feeling - based on nothing in particular - that we hadn't really seen anything recently teasing the forthcoming movie and that felt kind of odd.  EDIT: my memory may just be compressing the spans of time between worthwhile news pieces for previous films.

(I know he's a busy guy in his job at Satelight, but that he's working on so much other stuff besides the film is a little worrying.)

29 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

All will be forgiven if Lady M is Mylene, and she joins Walkure, having left Fire Bomber far behind...

Can't be, Lady M's supposedly been researching the potential of songs since the First Space War... Mylene was born in 2031.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• azrael changed the title to Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! - Available on Blu-ray Sept 28, 2022
  • azrael pinned this topic
  • azrael unpinned this topic